Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

After 3 great years, Alain Littaye is not going to continue "Disney and More", a blogspot that has given us more interesting posts per capita than any other. Alain did not lower himself to the politics and name calling that some blogs and sites tread on, instead he chose to dwell on the future and the exciting things that never happened or will come soon. He made us all feel excited about Disney and more! I have linked there many times as he has the best info and images, and I think in his final week he's posting one last interview I did on "Main Street and the DLP that never was". Alain and Dider Ghez took ten years to write the best book on DLP as well. If you don't have a copy, buy it! They are the true torch bearers of DLP and we are forever grateful for their fine work. We wish Alain well and if you have not gotten to his blog, check it out. He is truly a Disney Internet Legend!

Merci Beaucoups Alain! We 'll miss you!
That is very sad news especially after seeing how low Re-Imagineering has sunk.
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2010/03/step-right-up.html Also' Eddie for those of us who have not been to DLP would the book still be as enjoyable and understandable?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
:cry: Oh man. Was this going to feature AA's or strictly a more coaster style ride?

It was a coaster but with some unique twists up it's sleeve. There was a scene with AA bad guys in an ore car coming alongside, trying to overtake you, but they veer off and crash offstage. There is another that's flips a track switch and causing the bucket you are in to make an about face atop the wheels (still on the tracks), so you ride forward, but looking backwards! Scary! This way you can see the "rolling stone ball" fall into the cave and begin catching up to you. You fall off a cliff from the ball through the moss and mist and into the unload area in the camp. It was considered to be too much like Big Thunder so they scrapped the idea.

misterID

That sounds almost exactly like the Grizzly Trail ride they're building at HKDL, with a Grizzly Bear AA throwing the track switch and the careening backwards.

800px-Grizzly_trail_concept_art.jpg

I guess your idea got used after all.

_Scar

Eddie, do you think a LOST ride would work in a park like DHS or Epcot (if focused on energy)?

If you don't watch the show you probably won't have a strong reaction, but I think it's known enough for the basics (black smoke monster, DHARMA, the numbers). What do you think?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That sounds almost exactly like the Grizzly Trail ride they're building at HKDL, with a Grizzly Bear AA throwing the track switch and the careening backwards.

800px-Grizzly_trail_concept_art.jpg

I guess your idea got used after all.

That is sooooo funny. WDI is greener than we think, they're always recycling! I see the flooded town too, reminds me of the "Flash Rlood Rapids" ride we never did at Knott's. It had an ore car ride too called "Rusty Rails".! It looks soo similar!

(BTM in WDW had a flooded area too)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, do you think a LOST ride would work in a park like DHS or Epcot (if focused on energy)?

If you don't watch the show you probably won't have a strong reaction, but I think it's known enough for the basics (black smoke monster, DHARMA, the numbers). What do you think?

I don;t really watch the show, but it seems very character driven, so maybe a Cellphone "find your way from being LOST" type (Kimpossible) game might work with messages from the characters in the show. Discovery Island?

_Scar

I don;t really watch the show, but it seems very character driven, so maybe a Cellphone "find your way from being LOST" type (Kimpossible) game might work with messages from the characters in the show. Discovery Island?

It is, but it is also known for energy, science, time loops, time travelling, and of course the island is the main setting.

I was thinking an EMV through the island would be ideal.

BTW, here's an article on Disney and More Blog about the DLRP MSUSA that never was: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

chwilson88

TT does nothing, M:S too. If it was actually going to Mars, and they made it a bit more "real" :)lookaroun) it would work. Soarin' only works well because it's in TL, which covers the IIE nicely.

Nemo, however?! The only informing that thing does is on the ignored (except for me...:lookaroun) info plaques that are Nemo-fied. TTlk is just a kid's surf talk fest.:lol: THAT could be informative, but it's not.

It does entertain, though...

Do you get a prize or anything for hitting your 50,000-th post? Does anyone have more than that?

WDWGoof07

Yes I did. It was a ride on the Jungle Cruise to a remote dock and Temple, you got off the boat, then you form search parties to hunt for Indy. A treacherous "walk through" begins and your guide vanishes, leaving you at the mercy of the grave robbers. You escape in a rickety mine car in a half forward, half backward facing coaster ride through the fiery temple, climaxed by the rolling ball chasing you out to civilization. I was assigned to that show 3 times.
Wow, that sounds incredible! I love the whole buildup and the climax at the coaster you outlined here. Were there any capacity issues associated with this, or did your team take care of that?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Wow, that sounds incredible! I love the whole buildup and the climax at the coaster you outlined here. Were there any capacity issues associated with this, or did your team take care of that?

There were more than one ore car linked like a small train of 3 to 5

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
After 3 great years, Alain Littaye is not going to continue "Disney and More", a blogspot that has given us more interesting posts per capita than any other. Alain did not lower himself to the politics and name calling that some blogs and sites tread on, instead he chose to dwell on the future and the exciting things that never happened or will come soon. He made us all feel excited about Disney and more! I have linked there many times as he has the best info and images, and I think in his final week he's posting one last interview I did on "Main Street and the DLP that never was". Alain and Dider Ghez took ten years to write the best book on DLP as well. If you don't have a copy, buy it! They are the true torch bearers of DLP and we are forever grateful for their fine work. We wish Alain well and if you have not gotten to his blog, check it out. He is truly a Disney Internet Legend!

Merci Beaucoups Alain! We 'll miss you!

Thanks for the info, and a real shame that it's ended. As you say, it was one of the few sites that didn't get involved in the ego-trip that many turn into. They let the content do the talking.

I've followed their posts through various online mechanisms since the opening of DLP. They always had very detailed and accurate info to share.

Agreed on the book, it's wonderful!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Check it out.

Since we discuss EPCOT and the future so much around here, it's good to know "Disney and More" editor Alain Littaye has launched a new blog today called "Innoventions", which will keep us up to date on the newest things coming to technology. He has a great eye for cool stuff, so here's the link to get you "early adopters" going. Have a great time in the future!

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/04/introducing-new-innoventions-blog.html

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
OLD DLP plan reveals the past

"Disney and more" is going out with a bang this week with "Part Four of the DLP that never was" series.. This time, Alain shows an old hand drawn plan of the park as it was to be and tells us why and what has changed. I remember those plans. They would distribute them as a legend to the zone numbers they gave to different facilities so you could keep them all straight. Very rare. Interesting and never before published.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
"Disney and more" is going out with a bang this week with "Part Four of the DLP that never was" series.. This time, Alain shows an old hand drawn plan of the park as it was to be and tells us why and what has changed. I remember those plans. They would distribute them as a legend to the zone numbers they gave to different facilities so you could keep them all straight. Very rare. Interesting and never before published.

Good read, thanks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Eddie, have you been over to the Studios at DLP? Just wondered what your impressions were. Sitting next door to what is one of Disney's most detailed parks, it is very much lacking. The most recent additions also don't seem to be helping.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, have you been over to the Studios at DLP? Just wondered what your impressions were. Sitting next door to what is one of Disney's most detailed parks, it is very much lacking. The most recent additions also don't seem to be helping.

Never been. Just seen pictures so I'm not the best judge.

As I recall, it opened very lean and mean without much placemaking. This was the pre Iger era. There were a few standouts as shows like Moteurs Action and Cinemagique, but overall it could have used more wow. It is pretty challenging being the next to a park that has been accused of being recklessly over detailed. Hard act to literally follow. I guess the best thing you can say is that the company is aware of what the Studios park needs, and within the tight fiscal limits they have, they are investing in more attractions as they can. Would I rather see a big E than a Playland? Oui Oui. But there may be nothing for little kids to do so it may be the right guest fit right now. It will no doubt take time and signs of growth to address both placemaking and compelling attractions. In the end, it's a mix of elements that appeal across the board. I know they did not intend to make the Studio to be a competitor, but more of a half day compliment to the magic kingdom. So in that light, they need to add value where they can and seem to be doing that with big shows like Tower. I could see Carsland ending up in their backlot area someday, so in time, like MGM which was a half day park at opening, should bloom.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Thanks for the info, and a real shame that it's ended. As you say, it was one of the few sites that didn't get involved in the ego-trip that many turn into. They let the content do the talking.

I've followed their posts through various online mechanisms since the opening of DLP. They always had very detailed and accurate info to share.

Agreed on the book, it's wonderful!
I also have to point out the frequency and quality of his articles. Alain posted a new article almost every day, in a language that isn't natively his. I can't think of any other writer that posts articles that frequently, let alone at the quality that Alain does.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I also have to point out the frequency and quality of his articles. Alain posted a new article almost every day, in a language that isn't natively his. I can't think of any other writer that posts articles that frequently, let alone at the quality that Alain does.

Good point and so true. Alain has built a huge online archive now that will stay up. I don't know of any site that has that much WDI art posted. When we did interviews he would send me things to comment on I had not seen since they were first drawn. When he did that DLP Book I think they gave him access to lots of imagery, but we all benefit from that and his passion to write those great articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom