Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'm very much looking forward to the Harry Potter ride, but I have a couple things that seem to bother me that I'd like to get your take on:

1. The idea of this land being set in the climate of central Florida bugs me. There's all this great artwork that makes it seem like it's in London in the Fall. There's even a few pictures showing snow falling and people in heavy clothing and coats. Most of the year, it's going to be 90's and people are going to be uncomfortably hot! :lol: So is this just me thinking too much? Or is it weird to anyone else? This is just a land that, to me, has a climate that we're inherently used to associating with it. It just feels weird. Like... When I see the polar bears at our local zoo in their outdoor area in the Summer. There's fake snow on the rocks, but come on. It's 100 degrees. The polar bears know better.

2. The other concern I have is that attractions that are extrememly reliant on cutting edge technology can suffer quite a bit more noticeably when upkeep is not "spot on". I think judging by some of the threads on the site alone, we've all noticed effects seriously effecting show. What's UNI's track record on effects upkeep, do you know? Do you think that there may be certain "service level agreements" in the contract that Rowling signed, or is that not something that's thought of in these cases (i.e. Lucas's involvment with Star Tours or Indy, or Spielberg's with JP at UNI)?

Lastly... Are you in your restaurant very often? We're planning on visiting on our upcoming trip to SoCal, and wonder what the chances are of running into you there.

Hmm. Part of being in a theme park is that anything is possible, so a la Blizzard Beach or Matterhorn, it does not bug me to see snow unless I'm touching fake snow and it's concrete, THAT bugs me.

You point out the dependence on the technology being kept up. This issue is huge, and a designer has to understand that you need to make sure the show is not dependent on one effect, because as you say, if it's off then theres no show. the 3D projection type shows have automatic backup projection lamps for example, so they have covered that. I hope they will keep the show up. You should not design something that is unmaintainable. Like putting white carpet in the queue for Tower of terror.

As for Rivera, don't miss it. I'm there pretty often but random at best. Why not email me and let me know the night you are there, and if I'm gonna be there will look out for you and say hello.

eddie@riverarestaurant.com

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Changing use of parks.

I was just reading the Miceage column on the upcoming challenges at DCA with the new "World of Color" water show that will take over the central lagoon in the middle of the park this spring.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al033010a.htm

In order for the show to be appreciated in a quiet atmosphere as the producer intends, all the attractions surrounding it in the Paradise Pier area need to be shutdown an hour before the show (7pm). There are two shows planned, one at 8 and another at 10:15 as the park closes. So what do all the guests that cannot view the "sold out" show do for two hours? I would imagine that closing all the attractions surrounding the central area of the park just dumps tons more guests into the streets from the lines. Sure, there are other attractions, but this must represent quite a bit of their ride capacity, and one of their 3 most popular attractions. DCA is not that big and lots of it is torn up or will be. It's true that Fantasyland@DL closes during fireworks, but DL has far more attractions overall to eat up the crowds. Just something to think about as to the impact of these things. Shows and Parades can eat up the park.

All I'm pointing out here is that these mega shows are marketed to the point where huge crowds come just for that show, so the rest of the experience is compromised to convert an otherwise organic experience into a giant theater, with one land as a "lobby" and others as giant "aisles" with the waterfront as "loges".

So if you are a designer, you want to try and anticipate the eventual "spectacular" show or parade kind of events that may compromise your intimate settings. They are attractions in themselves that overlay the existing place making and in some ways alter it.

I'm sure the WOC show will be amazing and that's just what DCA needs. They have done special viewing areas and so forth that will allow the right flow of guests and a quality experience. Having said that, these things change the dynamic and you have to be aware of that.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
"Knott's Preserved" Article

Alain Littaye of "Disney and more" has done a great article with super images and original concept art of Knott's (provided by Chris Merritt, Knott's historian). He asked me to give a brief interview about "the farm". You might find it interesting.

I recommend Chris Merritt's "Knott's Preserved" BOOK, it's the best thing written on the farm, done over a ten year period. A great story, well told.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/03/knotts-preserved-from-boysenberry-to.html

sponono88

I was just reading the Miceage column on the upcoming challenges at DCA with the new "World of Color" water show that will take over the central lagoon in the middle of the park this spring.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al033010a.htm

In order for the show to be appreciated in a quiet atmosphere as the producer intends, all the attractions surrounding it in the Paradise Pier area need to be shutdown an hour before the show (7pm). There are two shows planned, one at 8 and another at 10:15 as the park closes. So what do all the guests that cannot view the "sold out" show do for two hours? I would imagine that closing all the attractions surrounding the central area of the park just dumps tons more guests into the streets from the lines. Sure, there are other attractions, but this must represent quite a bit of their ride capacity, and one of their 3 most popular attractions. DCA is not that big and lots of it is torn up or will be. It's true that Fantasyland@DL closes during fireworks, but DL has far more attractions overall to eat up the crowds. Just something to think about as to the impact of these things. Shows and Parades can eat up the park.

All I'm pointing out here is that these mega shows are marketed to the point where huge crowds come just for that show, so the rest of the experience is compromised to convert an otherwise organic experience into a giant theater, with one land as a "lobby" and others as giant "aisles" with the waterfront as "loges".

So if you are a designer, you want to try and anticipate the eventual "spectacular" show or parade kind of events that may compromise your intimate settings. They are attractions in themselves that overlay the existing place making and in some ways alter it.

I'm sure the WOC show will be amazing and that's just what DCA needs. They have done special viewing areas and so forth that will allow the right flow of guests and a quality experience. Having said that, these things change the dynamic and you have to be aware of that.

Eddie, the article mentions a show at 9 and another at 10:15 -- not sure where you got 8pm from :) The plan all along, according to Steven Davison, has been to keep the pier open with the lights dimmed, and shut down any attractions that can interfere with the show.

At DL, Fantasmic plays in the middle of four major attractions. The lights are dimmed for the show, but the rides are kept open. The difference with the pier is that the rides are mostly outdoors (except for Toy Story Midway Mania.) I'm pretty sure attractions like TSMM, Golden Zephyr (and other attractions that aren't very noisy) will be kept open.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think just the addition of Carsland will make DCA a success.

Very possible. They are pretty much putting in the "E" ticket shows that DL would normally get and surrounding them with a better sense of place, so if guests follow the latest thing, then it should pull them in.

hack2112

Is this a joke?
A joke? You think that this is a joke?

this_is_sparta_v2_0_by_dooo.gif

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Aliens at DLP.

I've never told this story before, so here goes. This thread gets only the insiders take.

You've seen the UFO DLP images here, so here's what REALLY happened.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

We were on the roof of Walt's Restaurant taking pictures to verify sightline issues to the other lands, when this strange whirring sound overcame us. In my viewfinder there was a blur and before i knew it this dish was above us. We scattered to the edge of the facade parapet and on that flat roof, the ship landed with no sound, no heat, nothing. It just set itself down and the building lurched a bit. Scary. We were all kind of in shock. I dropped my camera. Costly reaction.

A door revealed itself from the smooth matte finish of the metallic ship and a voice came from the opening. "Take me to your director of corporate synergy". They WERE of higher intelligence. "We come in peace and with a gift, and will give it if we answer one question" the voice rasped. We nodded.

"Where are we?"

"Main Street USA" we all replied in unison.

"Merci...we made it to America" the voice replied.

Another Imagineer piped up and asked what the gift was. A 2 by 2 foot silver box then levitated through the doorway and landed at our feet. "Something you don't have in your kingdom, but will need very much for these earthlings".

Before we could go further, Security burst onto the roof. This scared the Aliens. The door shut in an instant and the craft shot back into the clouds.

We were left wondering if what we had seen actually happened. But there was the box.

Security opened it. It was a case of Red Wine (Shatner 67). To avoid a messy explanation to Security, we explained it was brought in for a special opening night occasion. It was served to Michael Eisner at Walt's later than night and he decided that the park should serve wine. The empty Bottle still sets on the mantle in the Discoveryland room upstairs.

i wish the Aliens had brought cash for new attractions, I would have passed on the wine.

You heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom