Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Omnispace

It needs to be put to rest. Today's cars look really dumb. If they looked like a concept car we would fight for it, but they don't. The 1967 Vette version looks better than what we have now..
autopia-2.jpg

I agree -- concept cars are cool!!! I think the intent was to make the Autopia cars look sort of like these guys....

img_factory_cars.jpg

Omnispace

I love the scenic drive in Autopia. I also love watching the bobsleds go and the Monorail pass by, as I'm "driving". I really don't want Autopia to go.

I feel for you -- and at one time there were also PeopleMover trains and Skyway buckets passing overhead , and motorboats navigating "dangerous" rapids below you! It was a very busy and well-utilized corner of the park. In a way we have all become spoiled and expect everything to be an over-the-top experience -- and forget how to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Perhaps they will not remove all of it, (keep the Fantasyland portion), or transplant it in a better form to DCA. There's also Gilroy Gardens which has a nice car ride through perhaps one of the most beautiful landscapes around.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The visuals in Autopia are great for a ride of it's style... the problem is the ride technology is stuck in 1979 and hasn't been improved since. Kids (and adults) can do so much more elsewhere and have so much more freedom. The guide rail confinement is just too much for this day and age. Add to that the space constraints DLR lives within... I can understand the desire to trim, if not eliminate it all together.

Put a new kid friendly car ride in the Carsland expansion areas.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
They could demolish the Disney World version of Autopia tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye, but I am a little curious about the Hong Kong version.
It has an all-electric fleet of cars with onboard sound effects, and a much more interesting course to drive through.
While it's still probably no comparison for an actual Go-kart track, it should have a little more appeal and redeeming design features.
Maybe so. At DL where land is at a premium I'd swap out Autopia for Star Wars right now. Put them into DCA in Carsland.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What a great sketch. Herbie was all about the richness and soul and what is happening in the scene. Truly an example of someone who storyboarded the first half of career and never outgrew the process of that. I'd hate to lose the feel when they upgrade. Not into the controversy, what's at stake?

EPCOTCenterLover

Gorgeous- and its too bad spaces like this are not created more often. I LOVE wandering New Orleans Square.
ryman.jpg
Thought I would share this considering all the controversy surrounding it. Some the attitudes towards it amazes me. Perhaps one of the most prosaic spaces ever designed for a theme park in my opinion.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It was something you discover. Lands used to be places to get lost in and had areas that no other reason to exist other than for you to enjoy their solitary immersion. You could sit on that step and listen to the distant jazz and go back in time. That alone was worth the hundred bucks to get in, No spinner racks of stuff to buy, just a world you hoped to get lost in.

Interesting to see how the colors evolved from cool to warm over the years..Blue/green cool walls in 1968 and more warm Beige in 2008. Graphically less stressful, as everything blended together more and left the shell as the sole focus. Note how the early scheme had a monochromatically soothing mood, versus the recent take. Thanks to Daveland for the images.

dgnos2.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!ioFBW-Ug!(1BQguT53hnQ~~60_57.JPG

3D_7_17_68_R_NOS3.jpg
DSC_1116.jpg

Note the vibe of these real New Orleans Courtyards. Although not consciously historic, they have a distinct feel of calm and cool even with lots of warm brick BTW.
1344483687_b2d4b13f4e_z.jpg

frenchquartercourtyard.jpg

Point being you want each land to have a color signature and mood. Main street is more upbeat and vibrant, NOS is a bit more bluesy and has a more relaxed and mysterious feel. A great contrast. Operations over the years does not like that and feels everything should be exciting so that's why there is a "Mardi Gras everyday" type decor overlay and they try and amp it all up. To me, this is a big weakness, if every note is is played loud, eventually you notice nothing.

Last edited:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Just finished Marty's Book. A really great read in that he gives you many samples of the fine writing he did over the years, much of it shaped our own ideas of what "is Disney".

There are quite a few stories that have been commented about, but I think the history
overshadows what a good writer he is. Lots of memories, war stories and the like. He was kind to me as well as many others in this book. Don't forget, Marty was from that "can do", optimistic generation and believed what he wrote and knew for whom he was ghostwriting. Those Disneyland and Florida films, promotional books, etc. have a "voice" and a power to them. Thankfully, he has included many scripts and excerpts. He even added in something Walt wrote and how he used that as a means to get a sense of his "voice" to write for him so he would capture Walt's attitude. I grew up on Marty's version of what Disney was and many of you have as well. To me, this is the real gem in Marty's book.

Last edited:

Omnispace

Privatizing the Court will be a downer, but let's see how much they do. I hope they don't have to drop a big elevator in there..

Not knowing much about the inaccessible spaces in this area I can't speak definitively about the changes. Your comment about the need for the quiet in-between spaces rings very true, as well as the special element of surprise when one "discovers" this court for the first time. It's very difficult to successfully design a cherished spot like this and the popularity that it has achieved over time testifies that it was done masterfully. It amazes me that they would want to mess with something that is essentially a success.

I remember this court from when I was a kid and always wondered what was at the top of the stairs. It didn't really matter because the lack of access made it private, and private spaces are known to be more residential. One could easily think of the upper floors as being private apartments and that somehow added another layer of realism to New Orleans Square. When it was revealed that Walt Disney had his own apartments built up there then that made the spaces at the top of the stairs all the more intriguing, as well as knowledge of the private club where he intended to entertain his special guests.

The appeal of Club 33 is its history. As someone pointed out in their comment, one can still have the impression that they are one of Walt's special guests by dining there. When you move the entrance, it's no longer No.33 along the street. When you remove the Trophy Room, the special things that Walt intended for that space are lost. When you privatize the courtyard, the special attributes of that space are diminished as well. And what you end up with is an exclusive club that pretends to have historic ties but in actuality they become tenuous. In essence, one is removing what allowed the club to command such a long waiting list to begin with.

But perhaps I am wrong, and the appeal of exclusivity itself is enough for people to pay the high membership fees. Unfortunately, that in itself seems to go against what the park was intended to be.

Last edited:

Omnispace

Just finished Marty's Book. A really great read in that he gives you many samples of the fine writing he did over the years, much of it shaped our own ideas of what "is Disney".

There are quite a few stories that have been commented about, but I think the history
overshadows what a good writer he is. Lots of memories, war stories and the like. He was kind to me as well as many others in this book. Don't forget, Marty was from that "can do", optimistic generation and believed what he wrote and knew for whom he was ghostwriting. Those Disneyland and Florida films, promotional books, etc. have a "voice" and a power to them. Thankfully, he has included many scripts and excerpts. He even added in something Walt wrote and how he used that as a means to get a sense of his "voice" to write for him so he would capture Walt's attitude. I grew up on Marty's version of what Disney was and many of you have as well. To me, this is the real gem in Marty's book.

Great insights about Marty. I saw him at the Disney Family Museum a while back. He gave a wonderful presentation.

lazyboy97o

I too just finished Marty's book. As much as I love reading it has been awhile since I have blown through a single book so quickly. It was a lot of fun and quite enjoyable. A nice cap to a few day's work.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I too just finished Marty's book. As much as I love reading it has been awhile since I have blown through a single book so quickly. It was a lot of fun and quite enjoyable. A nice cap to a few day's work.

Do recall where he was talking about not being able to get hold of the Life magazine shots from Grad Nite 1961? How they could not get the rights, etc? I found them on Google's Life library. they are really innocent and awesome.
0706bd18532c669b_landing
73e1042d401368dc_landing

Get started here. Then dig around...
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/0706bd18532c669b.html

The Empress Lilly

Do recall where he was talking about not being able to get hold of the Life magazine shots from Grad Nite 1961? How they could not get the rights, etc? I found them on Google's Life library. they are really innocent and awesome.
0706bd18532c669b_landing
73e1042d401368dc_landing

Get started here. Then dig around...
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/0706bd18532c669b.html
Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks for that!

These are some of the best vintage DL pictures I have ever seen. More Robert Doisneau than holiday pictures. For once the focus is on the people instead of on the park.

It's a different audience using the park in a very different way. A great insight into another era. I would love this as a coffee table book!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom