Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Omnispace

Some interesting "tidbits" about the upcoming "Star Wars" addition to Tomorrowland at Disneyland here.
http://micechat.com/44830-disneyland-das/

Thanks for pointing it out. Is it April 1st?? Some very strange information there, not quite sure how it's all supposed to come together. So they are putting the Orbitron spinner up in front of Space Mountain??? :confused:

Looking forward to all the Ewok plush they will be selling in the shops though. :)

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

The first thing that I noticed in this picture, is the amount of green space. It's probably used as a reference point for the size of the buildings, but it's there anyways. In Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom, there isn't any green space. They have artificial trees. That's always bothered me.
That's only since the nineties. The entire MK looks like a barren wasteland compared to the lush, green kingdom (with lots of shade!) it once was.
In a twist of some irony, so many trees and planters and fountains were removed from the MK, that the new FL forest was partly designed the way it is to bring some green into the MK. I think it had become forgotten just how green the whole of the MK once was.

TL had lots of trees all over:

5734073638_e43d493968_o.jpg

3046922330_6b447a7264_b.jpg

The Empress Lilly

This reminds me of futurist Bob Mc Call. He did some great inspirational EPCOT and NASA design. This is paradisiac with futurism on the horizon. I think this mega piece was in the attraction.

am-robert_mccall_the_prologue_and_the_promise.jpg
I love that one! The Prologue and the Promise! It was in the exit of Horizons.

It's astoninging, it's beautiful, it's inspirational, there's no Pixar, no celeb, so for all those reasons we shall never see art like this in EPCOT ever again.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That's only since the nineties. The entire MK looks like a barren wasteland compared to the lush, green kingdom (with lots of shade!) it once was.
In a twist of some irony, so many trees and planters and fountains were removed from the MK, that the new FL forest was partly designed the way it is to bring some green into the MK. I think it had become forgotten just how green the whole of the MK once was.

TL had lots of trees all over:

5734073638_e43d493968_o.jpg

3046922330_6b447a7264_b.jpg

YES, it did...and was a lush vision to balance the white structures...thanks for finding this...

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think the intent has always been to create more of an urban feel to the main portion of Tomorrowland. The original Tomorrowland used to have a bit more landscaping but for some reason once you put space rocks around that seems to be thematically incompatible with trees. Everyone knows that retro spaceports don't have trees. ;)

Btw, I always thought that WDW's Tomorrowland had an unusual configuration on the backside of the central plaza. There just seems to be this awkward, poorly-utilized space back there that the Peoplemover track cuts off. The placement of the Skyway station didn't help maters much. I suspect that it has to do with the developing plans for Space Mountain -- that it was originally intended to go in that location but the expanding scope and size of the building made more sense to put it outside the railroad tracks. I'm sure that others might have a lot better insight on this matter.

tomorrowland_model.jpg
Look at the setback to Tomorrowland, it was really generous..a moat to a different "castle".

The Empress Lilly

YES, it did...and was a lush vision to balance the white structures...thanks for finding this...
Classic TL was beautiful. I feel very alone in thinking this.

Sadly it was mostly removed to make way for cartoon alienland in the 90s. However, the main structures are still there. I wish they would simply restore TL to its original splendour. Which by now will be retro-futurism, thus solving once and for all the problem of keeping a Tomorrowland relevant.

I'd also add a firm layer of early seventies goodies, lots of oranges and browns and live seventies music in the Tomorrowland Terrace! It will be every bit as good as the retro areas of Discoveryland Paris (1890s), Main Street (1900's), BVS (1920s), DHS (1940s), some of which when they were build were forty to fifty years old retro, exactly the age TL is now.
Retro space age + groovy seventies, what a winner!

TP2000

Some interesting "tidbits" about the upcoming "Star Wars" addition to Tomorrowland at Disneyland here.
http://micechat.com/44830-disneyland-das/

That was some amazing info.

The Star Wars Tomorrowland project has a bigger scope than I realized. I imagine losing Autopia will cause a lot of people a lot of grief however. Surely they can slot an Autopia ride in somewhere else. Although, the Autopia does take up a huge amount of space in all five Disneyland-style parks.

If this is true, Disneyland would be the first park to lose it's Autopia and do without that staple ride.

alindley

Do you think that them removing Autopia is a case of them having only one type of the smaller rides at both the American park so that guests would have to go to the one across the country in order to get their kids or themselves to experience the rides of their childhood?

Or is it the case of them removing an older ride that has high costs and doesn't "increase attendance"?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Do you think that them removing Autopia is a case of them having only one type of the smaller rides at both the American park so that guests would have to go to the one across the country in order to get their kids or themselves to experience the rides of their childhood?

Or is it the case of them removing an older ride that has high costs and doesn't "increase attendance"?

The Autopia has kind of run it's course, as it's not the best kiddie car ride out there. In 1955 Freeways were the future and there were not a lot of Gokart tracks or Amusement Centers. Now they pale in comparison and you almost wonder why it's in Tomorrowland. It has become a bit of an antique that appeals to the youngest audience and older kids can't bump. It uses tons of land that is hyper valuable for that level of experience. It's gotten lame over the years in my opinion.

Last edited:

BalooChicago

Kind of what I tried to say about homes that are totally designed, they don't allow you to live in them unless you want to be displayed. Architectural magazines seldom show people in the images, as they ruin the real focus, the architecture.

I think we're all just trying to make up for our own work places. People with messy desks are more creative (No, I haven't hung it up on my desk yet, it's on that pile over there.)

TP2000

The Autopia has kind of run it's course, as it's not the best kiddie car ride out there. In 1955 Freeways were the future and there were not a lot of Gokart tracks or Amusement Centers. Now they pale in comparison and you almost wonder why it's in Tomorrowland. It has become a bit of an antique that appeals to the youngest audience and older kids can't bump. It uses tons of land that is hyper valuable for that level of experience. It's gotten lame over the years in my opinion.

I normally get protective of those original 1955 Disneyland attractions, but on this one I would agree. Autopia has run its course, especially in SoCal where there are more thrilling go-kart tracks to be found and that huge chunk of land is way too valuable.

Time to move on. And if that means a giant forest on an Endor moon with an Ewok village to visit while Speeder Bikes zoom nearby, then bring it on!

Omnispace

I'll admit that I was obsessed with Autopia when I was a kid so my opinion may be biased -- I even still have drawings I did trying to figure out how the track was laid-out around all those cloverleafs. But there was something cool about the earlier versions of the attraction that this latest one somehow lost with the overblown retro-future-queue remake. To me, it has been changed enough where I just don't care. And that in actuality is pretty sad for I feel there is still a strong place for such attractions in the parks. I have yet to visit a theme park where the car ride is not one of the most busy. People like to go on excursions. It's kinetic and you get to see the park from a different vantage point. The beginning of Radator Springs Racers is an excursion up through the hills and is one of the highlights of that attraction. Perhaps if Autopia had ditched the smog-spewing engines and gone high-tech electric then it may have remained more relevant -- especially if they had done something more interesting with the track, (the off-road portion was perhaps the most inspired). But it had lost it's connection with the cool past and didn't really move forward and so it was doomed.

Even though I have many misgivings about the Star Wars theme, I'm glad they may be keeping the open space for that area. It's important for Disneyland to have some breathing room. If they want to recreate Endor then they better get those redwood trees planted fast!!

halloween+ewok+dogs.jpg

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'll admit that I was obsessed with Autopia when I was a kid so my opinion may be biased -- I even still have drawings I did trying to figure out how the track was laid-out around all those cloverleafs. But there was something cool about the earlier versions of the attraction that this latest one somehow lost with the overblown retro-future-queue remake. To me, it has been changed enough where I just don't care. And that in actuality is pretty sad for I feel there is still a strong place for such attractions in the parks. I have yet to visit a theme park where the car ride is not one of the most busy. People like to go on excursions. It's kinetic and you get to see the park from a different vantage point. The beginning of Radator Springs Racers is an excursion up through the hills and is one of the highlights of that attraction. Perhaps if Autopia had ditched the smog-spewing engines and gone high-tech electric then it may have remained more relevant -- especially if they had done something more interesting with the track, (the off-road portion was perhaps the most inspired). But it had lost it's connection with the cool past and didn't really move forward and so it was doomed.

Even though I have many misgivings about the Star Wars theme, I'm glad they may be keeping the open space for that area. It's important for Disneyland to have some breathing room. If they want to recreate Endor then they better get those redwood trees planted fast!!

halloween+ewok+dogs.jpg

Bairstow

They could demolish the Disney World version of Autopia tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye, but I am a little curious about the Hong Kong version.
It has an all-electric fleet of cars with onboard sound effects, and a much more interesting course to drive through.
While it's still probably no comparison for an actual Go-kart track, it should have a little more appeal and redeeming design features.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom