Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
This made me think about this site overall how some people want panda's and other want e-tickets. I sometimes wonder why would Disney even want to listen to us since even this group cannot agree on what we want. I live in the opposite world of Eddie. All PC's, android tablets, Galaxy phone but have a MacBook Pro for some things I do. Because I live in that ecosystem I feel like the apple ecosystem is counter intuitive. I'm not saying it is or that one is better than the other, it's just the way each of our minds work. I was actually sitting here waiting for files to copy from the MacBook to my PC so I could work on them and return them to the Mac because I would rather work in Creative Suite on my PC.

That's why Baskin Robbins sells 31 flavors. To me, Apple is becoming more counter intuitive BTW. I know lots of people who are more comfortable with a PC. Fine. I'm getting more and more used to living in a mixed ecosystem too. I used to be 100% Apple for years. As for us all being in agreement for Disney to listen, within WDI there is little agreement and they don't always listen there either. This thread is primarily about insight into the Imagineering process and admittedly, it can get messy. The parks have room for both Pandas and E's and that gives them variety, so it's all good ;-)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks...That makes more sense and I hope they refine their work before launch.
I was very surprised to see them bringing in marketing people on those icons. With such a strong design focus at the core of Apple it seems a strange move. Assuming of course that article is accurate.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I was very surprised to see them bringing in marketing people on those icons. With such a strong design focus at the core of Apple it seems a strange move. Assuming of course that article is accurate.

Does not seem strange at all. It's all marketing. Agencies and outside firms decide so much of what you see in a products today as they do lots of outsourced focus testing and stuff like that. Look at how the iPod was packaged by those dancing ads. It may have been white but the agency had alot to do with all that color and vibe. I think one of Apple's secrets to it's success is the seamless look of the ads with the OS and the store. You can deep dive from the feel of the print right down to an App. I love the engineering side rabidly, especially the milled aluminum, but Steve Jobs packaged everything and under his direction and in the media, the agency made it seem appealing. There is a warmth that MS did not and still does not have. Apple is accused of being the computer for old people now (it's true as the iPad is the perfect computer for people who hate or are afriad of computers) and so they need to use the same talent who knew positioning to make them appear youthful and hip as the iPod ads did years ago. The competition to be new every 6 months will likely over feature the smartphone into a place where you can't navigate it without a million pop up ads, badges and swipe down reminders.

Apple used to just work. Right now my Airport is flashing yellow for no good reason as it does every month till I reset everything and I was losing incoming mail from the iCloud last night. An hour to fix that. My phone drops passwords faster than the Angels drop fly balls. I do love the MBAir with great passion. I hope 7 is great, I really do. To me, Apple today is like Walt has died and Ron Miller is running things. We are going from the "how did they do that?" Pirates and Mansion era into the "more of the same" Bear Band and America Sings period. I will get used to and eventually really like the new look of 7 if they can tune it more before launch. Rant complete.

lazyboy97o

Speaking of Apple failing, the built in Government Alerts suck. I am rarely alerted to Tornado Warnings, like the one that is currently in effect for my area.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
While you are hunkering down, check out this GREAT video of a Tony Baxter D23 presentation a few years ago dealing with rare footage of Disneyland's Construction and a reconstruction of the WDW Western River Expedition imagery. Tony and Josh Shipley will blow your socks off with some of this rare and interesting history. They never disappoint. Great job guys! Thanks!

We hope you weather the storm!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I watched the entire Keynote of the Apple WWDC and found something that seems to be a total "how did they do that?", but it does not come off that way till you see it. The wallpaper image on the Lock screen of the iPhone is linked to the phone's accelerometer, compass, etc. and can compensate for changes in pitch, so the image appears to be in 3D, set back behind the icons and moves in realtime parallax to achieve that false depth. Ok. That's awesome.
iOS7_Homescreen_Pressimage.png

This image does not show that off and looks flat but in fact, it's not really that way. Here's a link to a clip and explanation.
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/06/ios-7-3d-homescreen.html
I'm not sure how or if it will work on the 4S, but it seems super cool. Battery life? Not sure. So I eat my words on innovation as this is "wow" for sure if it does not eat the battery in the process.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yep this is very impressive. Looks to still be a work in progress and I believe it may only work on the iPhone 5 and above. It does not run on my iPhone 4 iOS7 beta that I am using now.

Figments Friend

While you are hunkering down, check out this GREAT video of a Tony Baxter D23 presentation a few years ago dealing with rare footage of Disneyland's Construction and a reconstruction of the WDW Western River Expedition imagery. Tony and Josh Shipley will blow your socks off with some of this rare and interesting history. They never disappoint. Great job guys! Thanks!

Awesomeness.
Many thanks for sharing.
:)

flynnibus

Premium Member
the wallpaper perspective would be a cool 'demo' of your hardware... but does Apple really need such a demo at this point in the phone's lifecycle? No.

I don't really see any value to this as apple has implemented it beyond 'that's cool!!' and then you're blind to it.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
the wallpaper perspective would be a cool 'demo' of your hardware... but does Apple really need such a demo at this point in the phone's lifecycle? No.

I don't really see any value to this as apple has implemented it beyond 'that's cool!!' and then you're blind to it.

I may be completely misunderstanding you here, and if so I apologize...But what's wrong with throwing in a few "that's cool!" or "how'd they do that?" features in the new iOS, even if they are just that (cool) and are only minor? They're already putting the time into the new iOS anyway. Plus, the final version of iOS 7 doesn't come out until the fall, right? That would put the new iOS release close to the rumored new iPhone release, just like iOS 6 and iPhone 5 releases.

To me it's like all of the Disney details in the parks. All of the little things on their own might not be a big deal, but when you add them all up they make something cooler, or make something less cool if you take them away, similar to the "decling by degrees" scenario we talk about on here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I may be completely misunderstanding you here, and if so I apologize...But what's wrong with throwing in a few "that's cool!" or "how'd they do that?" features in the new iOS, even if they are just that (cool) and are only minor?

it's frivolous fluff.. that doesn't actually help you. It's one thing when you do something in a more fancy way that makes it cooler.. like animations when moving something.. or when something just looks more polished.. like a gradient.. etc. But this is just fluff that doesn't help you do anything, nor improve what you need to do.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
it's frivolous fluff.. that doesn't actually help you. It's one thing when you do something in a more fancy way that makes it cooler.. like animations when moving something.. or when something just looks more polished.. like a gradient.. etc. But this is just fluff that doesn't help you do anything, nor improve what you need to do.

I see your point and agree to a certain extent, but for me those types of things are just little aesthetic/visual bonuses, even if they don't help me do anything or improve what I need to do. It looks cool so I like it. I guess I just don't really have a problem with them making something look neat for the sake of making something look neat. We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I see your point and agree to a certain extent, but for me those types of things are just little aesthetic/visual bonuses, even if they don't help me do anything or improve what I need to do. It looks cool so I like it. I guess I just don't really have a problem with them making something look neat for the sake of making something look neat. We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I just see it as wasteful. How are those apple maps coming along?? :) Or an iTunes client that doesn't blow? I just wish Apple were focusing on things that would actually make me a happier customer.. Hip and cool is great for those buying toys.. I want to get actual work done :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom