Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

|Q|

At last, so long skeumorphism...

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

i kind of love the new look (except a couple of icons, like safari)

and looks like Craig Federighi is quite a Disneyland fan, lol

(i'm new on this thread, i'm a graphic designer from italy, and a big fan of your work in DLP)

lazyboy97o

At last, so long skeumorphism...

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

and looks like Craig Federighi is quite a Disneyland fan, lol

(i'm new on this thread, i'm a graphic designer from italy, and a big fan of your work in DLP)
I'm really liking the look of iOS 7, and a bit bummed that OS X Mavericks didn't follow as strongly in the beating the snot out of skuemorphism.

Ironically, the iTunes Radio icon is an old radio...

I also wonder what shape future pro user hardware will take. We had the G4 Cube. Today the cylindrical Mac Pro was announced. Maybe a pyramid? A sphere?

|Q|

I'm really liking the look of iOS 7, and a bit bummed that OS X Mavericks didn't follow as strongly in the beating the snot out of skuemorphism.

Have you seen the wonderful intro to the keynote? It's really cool and quite inspiring too (ok ok i'm kind of an Apple fanboi...), and starts proclaiming "if everyone is busy making everything, how can anyone perfect anything?" lol. They had to pull engineers from OS X to iOS to finish it in time, so to see Sir Jony's hand on OS X we'll have to wait one more year :(

I also wonder what shape future pro user hardware will take. We had the G4 Cube. Today the cylindrical Mac Pro was announced. Maybe a pyramid? A sphere?

I actually think the Cube was more beautiful than the new Mac Pro. Yes, it's awesome, but i cannot look at it and not think to a really cool trash bin or ashtray.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I don't love a cylinder on my desk with cords hanging out the back either, but when you read how it is engineered to justify the shape it's probably a good move. Not rack friendly either, but they need to look different.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The video was made by marketers although it's also the mantra of my little company. We start with what you feel ("the wow") and work backwards into the design. Having said that, I feel betrayed when I see what they are doing. No wow. The details of design are being lost and it's obvious. I really cannot believe how bad the new iOS 7 looks. Especially the icons. How do you read light fonts in the bright sun? They are now following/reacting to Microsoft and it looks like a cheap version of Windows 8. Unbelievable. It lacks refinement and taste that made me appreciate Apple. It "feels" like a reaction and there is no joy. Certainly not a breakthrough. Here's what designers did in hours to the home screen icons retaining the mantra of the flat look and wacky palette, but doing it with a level of taste and good graphic design. Great stuff and any would have been a good solution. All set apart from Windows. Sadly, Apple is visionless and driven by engineers and retailers, and it's sad to see it's decline.

http://www.cultofmac.com/231264/designers-set-about-fixing-the-mess-apple-made-in-ios-7-gallery/

tissandtully

The video was made by marketers although it's also the mantra of my little company. We start with what you feel ("the wow") and work backwards into the design. Having said that, I feel betrayed when I see what they are doing. No wow. The details of design are being lost and it's obvious. I really cannot believe how bad the new iOS 7 looks. Especially the icons. How do you read light fonts in the bright sun? They are now following/reacting to Microsoft and it looks like a cheap version of Windows 8. Unbelievable. It lacks refinement and taste that made me appreciate Apple. It "feels" like a reaction and there is no joy. Certainly not a breakthrough. Here's what designers did in hours to the home screen icons retaining the mantra of the flat look and wacky palette, but doing it with a level of taste and good graphic design. Great stuff and any would have been a good solution. All set apart from Windows. Sadly, Apple is visionless and driven by engineers and retailers, and it's sad to see it's decline.

http://www.cultofmac.com/231264/designers-set-about-fixing-the-mess-apple-made-in-ios-7-gallery/

You couldn't be more wrong. Did you actually like the skeuomorphism?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
You couldn't be more wrong. Did you actually like the skeuomorphism?

I think in measured doses it had soul. As Disney uses Nostalgia to make things warm and familiar, Apple was the only company to use shadows and other small touches to create a sense of wonder. Melting things into the dock, etc. Their software OS looked magical and did magical things. There was something human in it. It went overboard with being too literal in places, but replacing it all with bad composition is another thing. Those icons are really badly proportioned. The kerning in iPhoto has declined as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

I installed the developer version of iOS7 yesterday, and having had a chance to use it, I'm very happy with it. It looks a lot better when in actual use.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Question for Eddie:

Did you by chance attend the Club 33 roast for Tony Baxter tonight?

If so, what was it like?

Were you one of the roasters?

:D

I was invited, but had a schedule conflict and was not able to attend. I was not aware of it being a "Roast" per se at all, but more of a tribute. We were asked to send stories and images from our past with Tony to put into a career timeline display. I sent something as well. A "Roast" would have been fun! Lots of material!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I installed the developer version of iOS7 yesterday, and having had a chance to use it, I'm very happy with it. It looks a lot better when in actual use.

I hope so. The features themselves seem really good. I'm a die hard Apple fan. I just feel like a scorned lover at the moment. I have completely lost my jones for anything they are doing. No desire to go into the store. Just bought a Galaxy Note tablet becuase the iPad is so lame to draw on. High treason!

Maybe they will clean up the art by realease time. I'd love to see something exciting.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I hope so. The features themselves seem really good. I'm a die hard Apple fan. I just feel like a scorned lover at the moment. I have completely lost my jones for anything they are doing. No desire to go into the store. Just bought a Galaxy Note tablet becuase the iPad is so lame to draw on. High treason!

Maybe they will clean up the art by realease time. I'd love to see something exciting.
I felt the same when I first saw it, but I can tell you now I am using both, iOS6 seems very stale in comparison. Like you say, there is also some time to make some icon tweaks. It will be interesting to see how it develops over the next few months before launch.

Galaxy note? {{shaking head}} LOL ;)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The Galaxy Note tablet has the usual counter intuitive Android issues, but the Wacom digitizer pen paired with Sketchbook Pro is really outstanding and blows the iPad away. Steve Jobs reportedly hated the idea of a stylus. I need to draw and send digitally on the road so it makes sense for me to have the best digital tools.

I own an iPad for other things and have to carry both! I kind of like the new Airport Extreme as it has device targeting on the new machines. The all day battery on the MBAir is rather enticing as well, I just don't want to have to admit to being on a laptop ALL DAY!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Here's an interesting article on the Skeumorphic Apple debate and how there is a reasonable argument for both. I'm on the side of emotion and to a degree I think a dose of the familiar floating in cyberspace is a bit magical (shadows, a lens, etc.). Too much (torn paper on the calendar App), is a contrived and distracting bore.

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/0...e-ios7-are-holding-back-the-future-of-design/

n2hifi

The Galaxy Note tablet has the usual counter intuitive Android issues, but the Wacom digitizer pen paired with Sketchbook Pro is really outstanding and blows the iPad away.

This made me think about this site overall how some people want panda's and other want e-tickets. I sometimes wonder why would Disney even want to listen to us since even this group cannot agree on what we want. I live in the opposite world of Eddie. All PC's, android tablets, Galaxy phone but have a MacBook Pro for some things I do. Because I live in that ecosystem I feel like the apple ecosystem is counter intuitive. I'm not saying it is or that one is better than the other, it's just the way each of our minds work. I was actually sitting here waiting for files to copy from the MacBook to my PC so I could work on them and return them to the Mac because I would rather work in Creative Suite on my PC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom