Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

RandySavage

Buttes Chaumont Parc, Paris.

Thanks for the info of faux bois. Never realized the artform has been around so long, but makes sense since concrete has been used in architecture since Roman times.

Sometimes I can't tell what's real and what's not:
This is from the flickr page of an artist who worked on HKDL Grizzly Mountain:
6956006841_7d47620641_c.jpg

6956014553_9eab8f7d80_b.jpg

Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65304468@N06/

RSoxNo1

Some D Tickets are classic and don't absolutely need plussing, such as the horse-drawn Trolley, Peter Pan, Mater's, Dumbo . . . but there is some stuff in Mermaid that I think should be upgraded or removed altogether, not just that we want more Ariel, at least from my perspective. I kinda hope that Mermaid gets a major upgrade in the future, though it might take a while.

I think Fantasyland is inviting for very little kids, but Mermaid's neighborhood has that "down by the pier" look with the nets of dead fish and bland exterior that I think it just might turn off little kids.

It would be great to hear what the official turnstile counts are for the attraction, but I haven't seen gobs of kids congregating around Mermaid when I visit the park. In fact, I see a lot of families with little kids walking right by. It was interesting how quickly they changed Ariel's hairdo and the CGI Ariel to hand-drawn . . . honestly can't help but conclude that the attraction was, overall, not very well-received and that they took aim at what they perceived were the biggest issues.
I understand your position on some classic attractions don't need plussing, but I dont' think any of the attractions you listed should be considered D-tickets. I know that's not your point though. Having said that, I'm all for technical upgrades where appropriate, and I think it's safe to say that updates to The Haunted Mansion were positive changes to a classic attraction.

Pixiedustmaker

I understand your position on some classic attractions don't need plussing, but I dont' think any of the attractions you listed should be considered D-tickets. I know that's not your point though. Having said that, I'm all for technical upgrades where appropriate, and I think it's safe to say that updates to The Haunted Mansion were positive changes to a classic attraction.

When I said some classic attractions don't "absolutely" need plussing, I was trying to imply that classics like Peter Pan don't need immediate attention lest they fall into obscurity, plenty of guests still enjoy them. I'm all for plussing existing attractions, and I think the parks should have a modest, yet annual budget which is used solely for plussing existing attractions.

I also think that the Haunted Mansion changes were a positive (at Disneyland's HM's attic scene if that's what we're talking about.)

Jeanine

Looks like we put a fork in that one. No offense taken.

The new "Fantasy Faire" seems to look rather good on the exterior, what do you say?

http://micechat.com/23059-dapper-dans-sing-boy-bands/

I saw it yesterday--it's pretty and it seems like a lot of effort went into making it congruent with Fantasyland. The meet n' greet feels pretty standard compared to the more esoterically-themed Mickey Mouse theater and Pete's Sideshow that they've recently put into WDW, but I am probably not the main audience for that. The shows were (I thought,) surprisingly entertaining, with a strong effort made to appeal to all ages. The details they've been promoting like the animated Figaro and the Clopin music box are cute, but maybe not things that will draw a person's attention for a prolonged period.

It is very pink, however I think they were probably matching the bubble gum pink of the castle. My personal preference is for the earlier, more subtle castle tones, but I guess you go to war with the army you have.

http://instagram.com/p/WfPpI9kXG5/

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Figaro is a really cute piece of business, would it have been better treated as one of Gepetto's clockwork toys?To me it comes off more "wooden and mechanical" than lifelike. Either way, it's great to have it.

Pixiedustmaker

Figaro is a really cute piece of business, would it have been better treated as one of Gepetto's clockwork toys?To me it comes off more "wooden and mechanical" than lifelike. Either way, it's great to have it.

Making Figaro one of Gepetto's toys is a really creative idea.

I think the video was mostly shot from the "zoomed in" perspective, and guests on the ground see the animatronic from a further vantage point, hence they don't see the joints as much. I think the problem with doing the Figaro figure in fur is that he would no longer be recognized as Figaro, hence they had to make him look "cartoonish".

The bird is cool too as that beak can really open and close at a high frequency, in perfect syn with bird chirps.

Pixiedustmaker

First official image of Shanghai Disneyland work, I believe this is what you'll see after entering the park:

20130306-1.jpg

Shanghai's hube has what looks like a carousel type ride, room for a Christmas tree, a Dumbo style ride off the hub as well, probably a World of Color show that could be used in tandem with the fireworks. The walkway around the water look huge, I'm getting an Epcot sort of vibe here. Seems they want to be able to accumulate huge crowds for fireworks, as well as spacious viewing for parades. It's like they removed Main Street, and expand the area around the hub to a gigantic circle and put some of Fantasyland there.

Does have a nice organic feel, though I'd figure they would have put the World of Color lagoon wrapped around the castle so that you could look at the castle firework show while WoC water fountains are going off. Kinda awkward how it is oriented.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Here's something interesting to Angelenos and perhaps the rest of you. It's a video of the history of Century City, a master planned part of LA that replaced the 20th Century Fox backlot. With all of the pomp and importance of an EPCOT, Century City was to be an urban model for the 60's. Welton Becket was the Architect for the project, who also was involved in the contemporary Hotel at WDW. As someone who went there when it opened this was a cool find on YouTube. What I found most interesting is that a big sponsor was the Alcoa Company, who got their money back by supplying Aluminum or other metals to the project. It occurred to me that even in the case of WDW (Contemporary Hotel and USS Steel), or big fairs, the companies that provide building materials are often the sponsor as it generates a product showcase and near-term moves their product.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Just so we can all remember just how bad Attraction Opening TV Specials can be, here's one from the last time Disney opened a New Fantasyland in 1983 at DL. I always wanted them to cut to the project and dispense with the horrendous acting. You could have shot this with an iPhone and done a better job.

Comedian and fictional comedy writer Morey Amsterdam cuts short his gig in the Catskills to provide hilarity as the "Fantasyland Problem Solver". We could use him today!

Good for a laugh and there is the typical time lapse footage of plywood, etc.

Part 2 is out there if you can take it...

Californian Elitist

Here's something interesting to Angelenos and perhaps the rest of you. It's a video of the history of Century City, a master planned part of LA that replaced the 20th Century Fox backlot. With all of the pomp and importance of an EPCOT, Century City was to be an urban model for the 60's. Welton Becket was the Architect for the project, who also was involved in the contemporary Hotel at WDW. As someone who went there when it opened this was a cool find on YouTube. What I found most interesting is that a big sponsor was the Alcoa Company, who got their money back by supplying Aluminum or other metals to the project. It occurred to me that even in the case of WDW (Contemporary Hotel and USS Steel), or big fairs, the companies that provide building materials are often the sponsor as it generates a product showcase and near-term moves their product.

I'm an Angeleno. I love Century City and I had no clue it replaced some of Fox Studios. Thanks for posting! Interesting trivia for today. Fox Studios is really nice, one of my favorite studios/backlots to visit.

The Century City mall has one of the best AMC theaters. I just wish they'd put a Disney store somewhere in there.

RSoxNo1

When I said some classic attractions don't "absolutely" need plussing, I was trying to imply that classics like Peter Pan don't need immediate attention lest they fall into obscurity, plenty of guests still enjoy them. I'm all for plussing existing attractions, and I think the parks should have a modest, yet annual budget which is used solely for plussing existing attractions.

I also think that the Haunted Mansion changes were a positive (at Disneyland's HM's attic scene if that's what we're talking about.)
Hah... are we going to get into the Peter Pan sucks/No it doesn't argument again?

Pixiedustmaker

Why they did not do the Mermaid queue with this effect (seeing the vehicles go by below) is beyond me...

That would top "thinking you really shrink" in the Mighty Microscope. Imagine crossing a footbridge and then seeing the clamshells below you! You'd believe the ride vehicles are underwater...

Very cool!

If such an idea was considered, it might have been rejected if they worried about little toddlers in the queue being freaked out watching people in the clamshells "drown". I wonder if little kids also got scared when they rode ATIS. I was one of those astonished little kids who stared at the little people in the omnimovers until I figured out they were miniatures. Would little kids watch clam shells (or another ride vehicle) disappear below the surface of the water with wonder, or would they just be scared?

One aspect that might also be cool to reproduce for a ride would be the plate of glass with a thin layer of water above it, I'm thinking it looks just like the surface of water from below the water line. Seeing this inside a ride might be better as the little guests realize they aren't going to drown.

DisneyDad1977

Just so we can all remember just how bad Attraction Opening TV Specials can be, here's one from the last time Disney opened a New Fantasyland in 1983 at DL. I always wanted them to cut to the project and dispense with the horrendous acting. You could have shot this with an iPhone and done a better job.

Comedian and fictional comedy writer Morey Amsterdam cuts short his gig in the Catskills to provide hilarity as the "Fantasyland Problem Solver". We could use him today!

Good for a laugh and there is the typical time lapse footage of plywood, etc.

Part 2 is out there if you can take it...

Is that the little girl from Poltergeist? The age seems about right. A little strange if she appeared in the Haunted mansion!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The sincerity of this video struck me. It is the lyricist/songwriter of Somewhere over the Rainbow". I'm a hopeless romantic, but hearing this man from another generation speak about what was important to him was moving. He sings his work and does it in a heartfelt way. This was the generation that Walt Disney came from, understood and entertained.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom