Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Cosmic Commando

My only problem with 99% Invisible is the public radio style where monotony in tone is something to strive towards. It's okay to show a little excitement and passion for your discussion topic.
Agree completely, but I mix it up with fan-led podcasts where it's OK to rant or other professional, more energetic podcasts. Another interesting discussion was on Star Talk with Neil deGrasse Tyson. That's a podcast that's actually on public radio, but still manages to raise its voice. I guess Tyson didn't go to "public radio host" school. It was an episode recorded from a live discussion with two futurists about the new "City of the Future". I was definitely getting vibes about what Epcot could strive to be in this day and age. The episode was called Building the Future on 12/9/12 (iTunes).

Cosmic Commando

Reminds me of the whole FLE garbage can debate.

DatelineDisneyWorld1010-IMG_5547.jpg

It would be cool if Disney made more of an effort to product unique in-house fixtures for the park, such as why not just try and make a real wooden garbage can (albeit with washable interior)?
I wonder if it's as simple as who wants to be the Imagineer that designs the garbage can versus the roofline, the doorways, etc.?

dhall

Usually that Trash Can effort is part of designing the overall land and runs through the graphics department.
So this isn't a thread that I ever expected would need a bump, but discussions come & go all the time.

Eddie, thanks for this one, I've really enjoyed reading it all these months. I know the rest of the forum can get kind of rough & tumble at times, but it'd be great to get your perspectives on some of the other discussions going on from time to time.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It's a bit of a time thing. I am inundated with work and so my work flow determines how much time I spend on the thread or pushing out new commentary. the other thing is that I've pretty much answered most questions by now and don't reintroduce things too much. Ok...the Little Mermaid does come back up! Thanks for the nudge.

I ran into Tony Baxter on the opening day of the Fantasy Faire area at DL. He had a party with him and we all joined for lunch and chatted. One of the topics was how the facades at the FF are cleverly angled, varied and "broken up" by roofline to hide the show building which is far boxier. The challenge of late is that sometimes the show building's shape is not really hidden as well as it could be and that the facades need to angle and dance more to give the sense of scale and visual interest. Not every theme dictates that kind of solution, but Fantasyland sure does. There is a rooftop crest on a tower with the letters CPG. We had to guess what that meant...

BlueSkyDriveBy

I ran into Tony Baxter on the opening day of the Fantasy Faire area at DL. He had a party with him and we all joined for lunch and chatted.
OK, I have a question for you: what's your professional impression of Michel Den Dulk and his work, especially the new PFF? There is so little known publicly about Michel, I'm hoping that your lunch gave you further insight into what type of designer he is, what his strengths are, etc.

One of the topics was how the facades at the FF are cleverly angled, varied and "broken up" by roofline to hide the show building which is far boxier. The challenge of late is that sometimes the show building's shape is not really hidden as well as it could be and that the facades need to angle and dance more to give the sense of scale and visual interest. Not every theme dictates that kind of solution, but Fantasyland sure does.
That's really interesting. It never occurred to me that the broken up roofline was a deliberate attempt to hide the show building! I just thought of it as a creative design feature to keep the area from looking like a medieval version of the Main Street shops with their flat facades.

There is a rooftop crest on a tower with the letters CPG. We had to guess what that meant...
And of course, you're going to make us guess as well. :confused:

Could you at least give us a little hint?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
OK, I have a question for you: what's your professional impression of Michel Den Dulk and his work, especially the new PFF? There is so little known publicly about Michel, I'm hoping that your lunch gave you further insight into what type of designer he is, what his strengths are, etc.

That's really interesting. It never occurred to me that the broken up roofline was a deliberate attempt to hide the show building! I just thought of it as a creative design feature to keep the area from looking like a medieval version of the Main Street shops with their flat facades.

And of course, you're going to make us guess as well. :confused:

Could you at least give us a little hint?

He is a protege of Tony's who came from Efteling park in Europe and worked on many attractions there. He is a really nice and very talented designer. His sketches are excellent. He has leveraged his European background in the design of this area and also his interest in the type of fantasy architecture that Disney is known for. The stretched proportions of the roofs are very Hench and Eyvind Earl looking to me. I think this project,though modest, is a great opening act for him.

As for a hint, think of the past....

Cliff Racer

Eddie, I rode ET at Universal for the first time recently and I've got to say, I wasn't exactly impressed. If nothing else needing a cast member to explain the plot to people ahead of time points to issues with the story. If you were tasked with plussing the attraction with a reasonable budget what would you add in that could really change the ride's status around?

Pixiedustmaker

It's a bit of a time thing. I am inundated with work and so my work flow determines how much time I spend on the thread or pushing out new commentary. the other thing is that I've pretty much answered most questions by now and don't reintroduce things too much. Ok...the Little Mermaid does come back up! Thanks for the nudge.

I ran into Tony Baxter on the opening day of the Fantasy Faire area at DL. He had a party with him and we all joined for lunch and chatted. One of the topics was how the facades at the FF are cleverly angled, varied and "broken up" by roofline to hide the show building which is far boxier. The challenge of late is that sometimes the show building's shape is not really hidden as well as it could be and that the facades need to angle and dance more to give the sense of scale and visual interest. Not every theme dictates that kind of solution, but Fantasyland sure does. There is a rooftop crest on a tower with the letters CPG. We had to guess what that meant...

Certain parts of PFF's facade look very similar to Tony Baxter's house, and have that historical gravitas such that the place feels like its been there all along.

I thought CPG stands for "Cow Pasture Gardens", didn't they keep a herd near the castle to supply the park with milk for the ice cream in the first few years after the park opened? I think when Carnation became the sponsor the name changed.

lazyboy97o

Eddie, I rode ET at Universal for the first time recently and I've got to say, I wasn't exactly impressed. If nothing else needing a cast member to explain the plot to people ahead of time points to issues with the story. If you were tasked with plussing the attraction with a reasonable budget what would you add in that could really change the ride's status around?
They had a Cast Member explain? Was the preshow video with Steven Spielberg not shown?

BlueSkyDriveBy

He is a protege of Tony's who came from Efteling park in Europe and worked on many attractions there. He is a really nice and very talented designer. His sketches are excellent. He has leveraged his European background in the design of this area and also his interest in the type of fantasy architecture that Disney is known for. The stretched proportions of the roofs are very Hench and Eyvind Earl looking to me. I think this project,though modest, is a great opening act for him.
Thanks, Eddie.

I wish there was a way for us common folk to see Michel's sketches. I love comparing the initial design work to the final product. That's the Imagineering stuff I readily eat up. :cool:

BlueSkyDriveBy

... didn't they keep a herd near the castle to supply the park with milk for the ice cream in the first few years after the park opened?
Yes, they did keep a herd near the castle to supply Disney with bovine byproducts.

But the byproduct you're thinking of, which has always been in ready supply at Disney, isn't delivered via the udder. Think a little higher up.

;)

Genie of the Lamp

Thanks, Eddie.

I wish there was a way for us common folk to see Michel's sketches. I love comparing the initial design work to the final product. That's the Imagineering stuff I readily eat up. :cool:

Hey Blue Sky, I found Michel Den Dulk's Pinterest page and there's some concept art on their. Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but will see. Here's the link:
http://pinterest.com/ronvance/michel-den-dulk/

Most of it is Fantasy Faire (7 of the pics) but there's 4 pictures on their that I don't think associate with Fantasy Faire. Hope this helps.:)

Edit: I know it's Wikipedia, but on there it lists the attractions Michel was involved with while working in Efteling and Europa Park:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_den_Dulk

(I like the one of the Blue Fire Mega Coaster)

BlueSkyDriveBy

Hey Blue Sky, I found Michel Den Dulk's Pinterest page and there's some concept art on their. Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but will see. Here's the link:
http://pinterest.com/ronvance/michel-den-dulk/

Most of it is Fantasy Faire (7 of the pics) but there's 4 pictures on their that I don't think associate with Fantasy Faire. Hope this helps.:)
Thanks much!

Eddie is right spot on. These are beautiful!!

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom