Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Pixiedustmaker

A story I heard back at WDI was that those restraints coming down triggered someone with Tourette syndrome and they started screaming and swearing every other word at the Alien beast till the show was over and they could come and get them out. Pre YouTube.

Wow, I don't doubt it at all.

When the restraints come down and the lights went down, I remember hearing kids starting to cry during most of the shows. I don't recall the castmember every "stopping" the show though, even though there were probably half a dozen kids who were really getting freaked out.

It was really weird, the lights go out and you hear these little kids really moaning and weeping . . . that was the "soundtrack" for the ride that I remember most.

It was certainly a creative show, in an Alfred Hitchcock sort of way in that the most scary parts were when you didn't see the creature, but felt his breathe and stuff. But I think a lot of guests sure weren't expecting that level of realism, and took their kids on it without knowing what it was about.

alissafalco

The Columbia sure has a lot of great details. While WDW and Disney have a lot of good restaurants, they don't really have one where you are immersed to this level of detail. I remember reading somewhere that a "Next Gen" pirate ride would have a similar boat ride, but at some point you get off and explore a pirate's village.

Well, everybody would want to do this so they'd have to limit admission to a pirate village/area somehow, maybe they could have it so if you have a reservation you can get off the boat (or at least further than the dock) and eat inside of a large pirate ship inside the ride. It would have to be pretty big to fit a decent number of guests, but what a dining experience! They could use such a large show building for part of the ride, or build the pirate ship so that half of it is outside, but that would spoil the view I guess.

I've always wanted to eat on a pirate ship like in the film:

640px-Captain_Barbossa_and_Elizabeth_in_the_cabin_2.jpg

More authentic looking than the cleanly staged museum look of Liberty Tree Inn.

liberty+tree+tavern+009.JPG

A pirate ship themed restuarant would be really cool. Why not? They have Fultons, so I'm sure they could do the same type of thing but on a pirate ship instead.

Pixiedustmaker

A pirate ship themed restuarant would be really cool. Why not? They have Fultons, so I'm sure they could do the same type of thing but on a pirate ship instead.

Given how good the special effects are in BoG with the snow and stuff, I'm sure they could pull off some cool things, such as flickering candles everywhere, maybe mist rolling in the moon light outside, maybe even Barbosa's monkey or the BootStrappers for entertainment (Disneyland pirate band). Castmembers could even get into role playing.

They were going to do Adventureland 2.0 in Magic Kingdom, which I think really needed it when compared to Disneyland's Adventure as it doesn't have Indy and has the Cliffs Notes Pirate ride. I thought they were going to put in a mini-Tortuga (from the Pirates of the Caribbean films).

Who knows? Maybe they'll put this in Shanghai.

alissafalco

You've got my vote for a Pirate Restaurant. Tried to do it on TSI but failed, so let's hope for Shanghai.

Here's the thread on the idea.
http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/09/jean-lafitte-and-mega-theme-temptation.html

Thats really cool!! They should totally re-theme TSI into a pirate island with a pirate ship restaurant!!! Then I would actually make it to TSI. In all the times I've been to WDW I have never been to TSI because I can really care less about it! TSI is a waste of space right now.

Pixiedustmaker

You've got my vote for a Pirate Restaurant. Tried to do it on TSI but failed, so let's hope for Shanghai.

Here's the thread on the idea.
http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/09/jean-lafitte-and-mega-theme-temptation.html

Wow. Thanks for the link, hadn't seen this website before. I knew about the "bricked up" crypts and heard they were going to dig a tunnel to the island, the concept art looks pretty amazing, I guess cost of the tunnel project is an issue.

There are rumors that the area above the French Market in Disneyland is going to be turned into a Haunted Mansion themed restaurant (or maybe it was Haunted Mansion Holiday?), complete with special effects and a little animatronic show. I wonder if the top floor of French Market has a view of Haunted Mansion as Magnolia Park is kinda in the way, but I guess it would be in the right land.

Pixiedustmaker

Thats really cool!! They should totally re-theme TSI into a pirate island with a pirate ship restaurant!!! Then I would actually make it to TSI. In all the times I've been to WDW I have never been to TSI because I can really care less about it! TSI is a waste of space right now.

It's a doubly cool idea because the pirate stuff would be mostly underground, thus preserving the frontiersy look of the island, and would presumably keep it as a play area for kids if they utilized the land that the fort is on for most the construction(though I guess that is really on the other half of the island.) The exit onto Tom Sawyer's Island from the Pirate restaurant could be as simple as a cave with a simple sign, or maybe even a faux little house with a secret "smuggler's entrance" that goes into the basement via a staircase.

They used to sell these really good brownies at the fort, and they had a tunnel which you could use to get "outside" of the fort.

RSoxNo1

A story I heard back at WDI was that those restraints coming down triggered someone with Tourette syndrome and they started screaming and swearing every other word at the Alien beast till the show was over and they could come and get them out. Pre YouTube.
I've been in there when the attraction started but not all of the restraints went down and the lights remained on, it was a really strange situation.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Its wooded AND it's a play area. It's fun and has caves and you should experience it, but the underground pirate thing would have been really cool at Disneyland as it has the right orientation of New Orleans right across the river, same as Lafittes hideout.

invader

I've seen plenty of pics...not interested.
> Says to take away TSI for major attraction
> Has never been to TSI, claims to have seen pics

LOL. That's honestly like someone claiming to have gone on vacation by seeing pictures. Nothings like witnessing things first hand.

alissafalco

> Says to take away TSI for major attraction
> Has never been to TSI, claims to have seen pics

LOL. That's honestly like someone claiming to have gone on vacation by seeing pictures. Nothings like witnessing things first hand.

LOL not quite... Wow who knew you took TSI so personally? Just because I have no interest in wasting my time walking around a wooded play area and feel they should replace it with something more interesting, I didnt know it would bring out such hostility in you. You should join the TSI official fan club! I'll nominate you for president!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
LOL not quite... Wow who knew you took TSI so personally? Just because I have no interest in wasting my time walking around a wooded play area and feel they should replace it with something more interesting, I didnt know it would bring out such hostility in you. You should join the TSI official fan club! I'll nominate you for president!

You keep saying it's a wooded play area, but it isn't. I think that's the odd part, you're saying to tear a big part of MK out even though you've never seen it or even know what's in it. Forgive us for calling you out on it.

Anyway, Let's get back to the real discusssion with Eddie ;)

WDW1974

I really wish we had a ship like the Columbia here at WDW. Honestly, when I visited DL in 2005, I didn't even realize they had such a ship. Since then I've been on the similar ship at Tokyo DisneySea (Ironically? NOT called the Columbia, that's what the Steamship in American Waterfront is called) which I loved but it doesn't go anywhere :(

True. But you can dine and drink in a truly first class type environment on TDS's Columbia in the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge. ... One of the nicest and classiest 'adult' places in any Disney park anywhere.

WDW1974

BTW- DING! I am a big Braniff fan and especially the Pucci "Jet strip" flight attendant fashions and Alexander Girard "mod" designs. So cool. Same site has their Concorde ideas.

http://www.braniffpages.com/1965/1965.html

Calder is also a fave, and the whole idea that Braniff was an art driven airline always intrigued me. Virgin is the next best thing today. An honor to have those links and a Braniff discussion on this thread. What do you think of their "Designer Tomorrowland" for real? Check out the little ad for Jet Rail on that page. So many cool ideas they had back then.

FYI ... Airliners magazine (based in the UK, but always at Barnes and Noble) has an issue out now (special one) highlighting certain 'greats' that are no longer flying and they cover everything from the Concorde (always a dream of mine to fly on one) to a big spread on Braniff and its use of color and style. You may be interested if only for the vintage pics of the very colorful planes.

alissafalco

You keep saying it's a wooded play area, but it isn't. I think that's the odd part, you're saying to tear a big part of MK out even though you've never seen it or even know what's in it. Forgive us for calling you out on it.

Anyway, Let's get back to the real discusssion with Eddie ;)

Your not calling me out on anything. I've passed by it a 100x and have absolutely no interest in taking the float to see it. Ive also seen enough pics from being on the island to know I have no interest and that the land could be used for something so much better. Why are people so defensive on here about TSI?? What are they selling DVC ownerships on it and you and Aquaduck bought in??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom