Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
True. But you can dine and drink in a truly first class type environment on TDS's Columbia in the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge. ... One of the nicest and classiest 'adult' places in any Disney park anywhere.

Don't remind me...I often sit at my slave of a job and wish I was sitting in the back room with my cocktail and some friends just relaxing on some of the most comfortable couches I've ever sat in.

AEfx

@AEfx it's not the Ada that is the reason they kept the hulls... It's the geometry of the vehicles to the ride area. There is no grandfathering with the type of overhaul they did and they put in the Static viewing room to address Ada concerns.

There is no value in redesigning the sub itself to be bigger unless you changed the lagoon and show building footprints too. And there just isn't room for that. Only available direction is down :)

Disney says otherwise - and the static viewing room does not address ADA concerns, because if that was the case they could just put a video of any attraction up in a little booth and say it's "accessible". It was nice of them to do, but the ADA is pretty specific in it's loopholes - because the outside walls, track, and subs stayed the same, it does not need to be brought to code as it was just "updated" and didn't qualify as a new structure. They were careful to side-step this on this one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It was nice of them to do, but the ADA is pretty specific in it's loopholes - because the outside walls, track, and subs stayed the same, it does not need to be brought to code as it was just "updated" and didn't qualify as a new structure. They were careful to side-step this on this one.

There is no such definition in the accessibility law. Even modifications to an existing structure would require bringing the new area into compliance.

You are probably confusing this with building permitting where reusing structures is used to avoid going through new zoning or other requirements. This has nothing to do with Ada requirements.

An example would be building in an area where no new construction is allowed, or there is insufficient resources under current building requirements. Similar to what was done with the treehouses

Pixiedustmaker

Its wooded AND it's a play area. It's fun and has caves and you should experience it, but the underground pirate thing would have been really cool at Disneyland as it has the right orientation of New Orleans right across the river, same as Lafittes hideout.

And it would sort of makes sense that back in Tom Sawyer's day, the time of Jean Lafitte wasn't that far behind the country. Pirates does have Laffite's landing for the boat dock, (spelled the alternative way) with the swamp in the background, I guess its supposed to be Barataria on one side, and the Blue Bayou, i.e. New Orleans on the other, though maybe Laffite's Landing is where he docked in New Orleans?

If Disney ever wanted to make a pirate movie without the supernatural stuff, a Jean Lafitte story would fit the bill, IMHO.

Pixiedustmaker

Your not calling me out on anything. I've passed by it a 100x and have absolutely no interest in taking the float to see it. Ive also seen enough pics from being on the island to know I have no interest and that the land could be used for something so much better. Why are people so defensive on here about TSI?? What are they selling DVC ownerships on it and you and Aquaduck bought in??

LOL, funny about DVC on TSI, though it would be cool if they had a Tom Sawyer themed resort on the property, IMHO.

I've been visiting TSI ever since I was five years old (Disneyland version), so I guess I and others get sentimental about it. If you're a fan of Mark Twain's work, or ever seen one of the many incarnations of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn's adventures, then you might see the attraction differently as there are nods to the books on the island. The floats are actually meant to be the rafts, or I guess long boats, used in the books/films by Tom when he ran away from home with Jim (a runaway slave) up the Mississippi.

But I think you right in that if you aren't reliving nostalgia, and don't dream about going on an adventure with Tom Sawyer, then the island looks like there isn't much there. Especially if you don't have kids, there isn't necessarily a big draw, though it is a nice little peaceful part of the park, though I certainly don't go over there every time I visit the park.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Hi Eddie! Long time reader, but first time posting here. Was wondering if you had read this story about Disney possibly purchasing back a bigger chunk of DLP:

http://business.time.com/2012/08/24...siders-buyout-of-struggling-disneyland-paris/

Thanks. Really appreciate reading your insights.

You are welcome and thanks for posting. I just read it and the article summarizes the issues well. 15 million guests a year is a good number and there is no reason, beyond having debt load, to not invest more and make more out of that park. If the WDC can see clear to take it over, that would be awesome. The park could finally add some new attractions and make some overdue repairs. We can only hope.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Neil Armstrong, a REAL "E" Ticket!

tumblr_m9bvf3eGsz1qfu9xjo1_1280.jpg

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Awesome picture!
Alain Littaye of "Disney and More" brought it to my attention and I had to search one myself! Here's the speech the president had been prepared to give if they were not able to come back. It's only the fact that they made it. You had to be pretty brave to attempt this kind of super risky adventure. Armstrong was a very modest man who did not want to personally exploit or profit from the landing. Compared to Olympic athletes that's a feat in of itself. Imagine knowing that they had prepared for the eventuality of the lander not blasting off!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...n-would-have-said-had-the-mission-failed.html

Nemo14

Alain Littaye of "Disney and More" brought it to my attention and I had to search one myself! Here's the speech the president had been prepared to give if they were not able to come back. It's only the fact that they made it. You had to be pretty brave to attempt this kind of super risky adventure. Armstrong was a very modest man who did not want to personally exploit or profit from the landing. Compared to Olympic athletes that's a feat in of itself. Imagine knowing that they had prepared for the eventuality of the lander not blasting off!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...n-would-have-said-had-the-mission-failed.html

When you look at the enormity of the Saturn 5 and just picture sitting at the very top of that waiting basically for someone to basically "light the fuse", it boggles the mind that anyone was willing, let alone anxious, to do it.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
When you look at the enormity of the Saturn 5 and just picture sitting at the very top of that waiting basically for someone to basically "light the fuse", it boggles the mind that anyone was willing, let alone anxious, to do it.

Especially since they say that the engineering skills that it would take to reproduce that would be difficult to assemble today.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Its a good time to mention that I do highly recommend a trip to Kennedy Space Center for those who either have never been there, or haven't there in a long time.

I had visited several times in the 80's and 90's, but its much nicer now, lots more things to view and it is still really inspiring. The Saturn V (5) has its own building now and agreed, it is just MASSIVE, especially when you lookat the tiny crew capsule and realize that almost the entire rest of it was JUST to get the astronauts into space.

scpergj

KSC is a must see.

Yeah...and the building with the Saturn V inside is a must see part of a visit.

I'm old enough to remember the Apollo-Soyuz missions, and watching them on TV, as well as Skylab (I was born before the last of the moon shots, but not old enough to remember!). A few years ago, my wife and I took our kids to the KSC, and after the short movie, when they opened the doors to the Saturn V display, I walked out under those 5 huge main engines, in total awe, unable to speak...tears in my eyes. I work at an old Navy base, and am around fighter jets and pilots every day (and the occasional congress-critter)...but the astronauts are a special group. They are my heroes, and Neil Armstrong was the top of that list.

krash9924

Sorry to go off topic but I have a couple questions about attraction posters.

Eddie have you seen the Poster Art of the Disney Parks book?Thoughts?

Can you give any insight as to the creation of these posters?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Sorry to go off topic but I have a couple questions about attraction posters.

Eddie have you seen the Poster Art of the Disney Parks book?Thoughts?

Can you give any insight as to the creation of these posters?

I was interviewed for the book and quoted about the history of the Disneyland Paris posters. The book covers most all of the parks and does it well, even taking you through the screening process. I wanted the ones we did for MSUSA to break from the format of the traditional mid century styled posters, to feel more 1890's authentic and historic. We used different popular illustrators of the period illustrators as inspiration such as Gibson, Penfield and Leyendecker, then licensed old original art as the basis for the pieces as I wanted them to be believable as decor. They did not use any of them in the book, but I did thumbnail layouts for each poster and then worked with an illustrator to refine the piece.

Not in the book...1G Imagineer Collin Campbell told me the he drew himself as the Pirate in the original POTC poster.

collincampbell_obit.jpg-300x254.png
Poster-Art-of-the-Disney-Parks-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean.jpg

The book is a labor of love and will satisfy any fan. I recommend the book as it's on sale on Amazon for a lot less than the parks charge. (And no, they did not give me a free one.)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm waiting for amazon to ship mine

Their ship date has slipped. Eta is not until sept 11 ship date

Looking forward to it and to get into my Disney Paris book that I've been holding to get into

Just finished the book on the founders of arrow and another book on the original guys behind the ARPA net. Kevin mitnicks second book was very good too :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom