E Ticket for World Showcase

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
live outdoor entertainment options (many of these shows and KP are quite nice)

BTW, the Mexican band on the promenade between Mexico and Norway (late June 2010) was really outstanding. Two trumpets/singers plus six or eight strings. Fabulous entertainment.

aladdin2007

I would just like to see a new country, whether it came with a ride or not. Sure a new ride would be great, but still a new pavilion would be nice after twenty some years now.
After seeing Samantha Browns travel special in Thailand and Cambodia, I cant help but think from an architectural perspective anyway, one of those would look amazing along the lagoon.

docandsix

Another nation over another attraction, for sure.

So much needs to be done with Epcot specifically and with WDW in general, there's no easy way to summarize. (Priority number one, in my opinion, for instance: USE all unused space and buildings--WOL, Odyssey, etc.)

However, how much more fun would it be to explore a brand new national pavilion, rather than simply ride a new attraction? I'd take that over visiting Harry Potter World, for instance.

cbconglom

i know and what's the deal with the huge empty? show building in japan?

ws.png

slappy magoo

Warm fuzzy Disney-esque feelings aside, it should be noted that the nations repped in World Showcase are there to exhibit their culture, their heritage, what makes their nation what it is and makes them who they are. One of the problems with an E-ticket anywhere in WS is reconciling those 2 desires, having one of the nations be cool with an attraction that blows the roof off the joint while also respecting the nation/culture/people. Someone earlier brought up ideas for dark rides based on Disney movies and characters of a certain nationality - Mulan, Pinocchio, etc. Ironically, they may be too "Disney" for Disney's World Showcase. AK had a neat notion with the Kali River Rapids, something that was fun but respectful (perhaps a little TOO respectful; the shoehorned environmental message is a little distracting). But that's the WS conundrum, a notion that's fun, but respectful.

disney1266

I agree.....more rides in EPCOT would be nice. Ever since Soarin was built, you almost can't get into the ride without at least a minimum of a 2 hour wait. If you are one of the lucky one to get up at the 'crack of dawn' and run to the Fastpass line, you may score a ride right before the park closes. Test Track line is just as long. All the other pavilions are boring rides. Come on EPCOT......get with it.

JimboJones123

I hate that WS is basically a gigantic Mickey glove sticking out, waiting for cash. I realize that it is a cash cow. It just seems like WS could give a little more for all the $$$ it brings in.

Bravo 229

They need to re-imagine The Outpost. The only thing worth visiting in that back corner of the park is the Biergarten Buffet! A new pavilion with a decent ride in that space would definately bring some life back in that area. But if they want to fix WOL or UnImagination first, then World Showcase can wait!

David S.

(Although personally when I go "Impressions de France" is an absolute must. I doubt this is a common favorite.)

I consider it a sublime masterpiece of perfection featuring stunningly beautiful music and visuals. Perhaps my favorite scene is of the Alps rising above the clouds into the heavens, scored by Debussy's sublime and incomparable "Clair de Lune", which gives me goosebumps! My favorite WS movie, and an absolute must for me as well! ;)

I agree that World Showcase needs help, particularly the 4 countries in the back to the left and right of America.

I'm not into shopping and dining, but I'm not saying everything in WS is about the attractions for me - I love the live entertainment and art galleries as well. But I do feel that every nation should ideally have some sort of bona-fine attraction, such as a dark ride or travelogue film showcasing the beauty of the country. While I agree that an "E-ticket" somewhere in WS would be great, I'd be happy if each nation had ANY attraction, and personally I love the boat rides better than many "E-tickets" anyway, and am also a big fan of the WS travelogue film genre.

There is definitely an unbalance to the WS where the nations closest to Future World have lots of things to do, and the ones in the back (except America) got the shaft.

For example, if you start with Mexico, you get a fun and charming boat ride, art gallery, and excellent Mariachi Cobre band. Then in Norway you get another fun and charming boat ride, a scenic movie, an art gallery, and, until recently (due to budget cuts), the excellent Spellmann's Gledje band.

China continues the momentum with an excellent film attraction, the beautiful Chinese folk music of Si Xian, amazing Dragon Legend acrobats, and another art gallery.

However, things start to fall apart when you hit the international nations in the back of the park. In Germany, the musical group inside the restaurant is very good, but if, like me, one isn't a "foodie", you can't always count on being allowed inside to watch the show. Luckilly, I have found that during the slow part of the day (after lunch and before dinner) there is often a designated area in the back for people to sit or stand to watch the band.

But other than this, the pavillion doesn't offer much other than great architecture, music loops, and a garden (in this case, a nice train garden), all of which are staples of every WS country, even the ones with attractions. An attraction in the show building built for that purpose would complete this pavillion!

IMO, Italy got the biggest shaft of all! No attraction, no live bands (although they do have a mime), no art gallery. Just restaurants and shops. I have always felt that Italy is a beautiful country that could benefit greatly from a "Visions Of Italy" film which would rival France, as the score could consist of the works of great Italian composers such as Puccini!

Japan has a beautiful pavillion which is solid in every area EXCEPT the lack of an attraction. It has an art gallery, live music and entertainment, and a nice garden. Again, some sort of attraction in the show building would easily put it on the "A-list" of international pavilions such as Mexico, Norway, China, and France.

Same for Morocco. It has a small art gallery and band, but again, no attraction.

Moving further away from the back of WS, things start to pick up again with France, thanks to the masterpiece of a film serving as the pavillion's attraction. The preshow waiting area also serves as a nice gallery currently showcasing the Notre Dame cathedral.

The UK sadly has no attraction, but I enjoy British Invasion so much (especially when they play late-period Beatles), I almost don't mind. I'd certainly welcome one, though!

Canada gives you the O Canada film and the music of Off Kilter, allowing the end (or beginning, depending on which end you start from) of the WS tour to end with a solid pavillion that features an attraction.

So, as I see it, the countries closest to Future World are in good shape and set a benchmark of expectations for the pavillions that the ones in the back (except the US) fail to live up to. With some attractions in these pavillions, the WS would feel "complete" to me!

PS. Nice screen name and avatar. Of course, I would be blown away if they would build the Swiss pavillion with the Matterhorn! ;)

mp2bill

I love when people say that a certain section of a park "would be much improved by a bona fide E ticket attraction." I think that goes without saying.

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
I consider it a sublime masterpiece of perfection featuring stunningly beautiful music and visuals.

Glad it's not just me! IdF really feels like original Epcot, too much of which is gone. And the music is incomparable. Here's hoping they keep it.

You pretty much said it all in your post. I think the rides in Mexico and Norway would seem a lot better if they weren't the only rides there -- they bear too much of a burden for WS.

duff527

Fair point. What's the story with Imagination anyway? They took a good thing and just wrecked it.

The Figment ride was definitely better than the current ride. I still think they could do even better with a theme as open-ended as imagination. I think Honey I Shrunk the Audience needs to be replaced with a new show with updated 3D technology, and I think they need to revamp the dark ride.

wbc

World Showcase is not the place for an E Ticket IMO.

It's a place for relaxation, shopping, drinking, etc.

Plus, it's only open at 11am. Doesn't make much sense for an E ticket.

IMO, Epcot already is unbalanced when you look at the ratio of E ticket rides to lower ticket rides. I mean EPCOT has three major E tickets, with a few others coming close behind.

E Tickets:
Test Track
Mission Space
Soarin

IMO, Epcot needs more D-C level tickets. It has a few major E tickets and a TON of A-B tickets, but little left in between. I enjoy tons of mid level attractions instead of standing in line for an E level. That's what Epcot needs. Balance.

MarkTwain

World Showcase is not the place for an E Ticket IMO.

It's a place for relaxation, shopping, drinking, etc.

Plus, it's only open at 11am. Doesn't make much sense for an E ticket.

IMO, Epcot already is unbalanced when you look at the ratio of E ticket rides to lower ticket rides. I mean EPCOT has three major E tickets, with a few others coming close behind.

E Tickets:
Test Track
Mission Space
Soarin

IMO, Epcot needs more D-C level tickets. It has a few major E tickets and a TON of A-B tickets, but little left in between. I enjoy tons of mid level attractions instead of standing in line for an E level. That's what Epcot needs. Balance.

This sums it up perfectly. World Showcase needs 2 or 3 C/D ticket rides more than it needs a single, showstopping E-ticket. A Canadian river rafts ride, a chariot ride through Italy's history, or that German Rhine River cruise would go a long way to filling out WS - and would probably bring in more people to eat and drink, to boot.

AdrainB

The UK sadly has no attraction, but I enjoy British Invasion so much (especially when they play late-period Beatles), I almost don't mind. I'd certainly welcome one, though!

There is one ready-made attraction that should be added to the UK. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

misterID

I think some of you are confusing an E ticket with a thrill ride.

And WS was never meant to be "just" an outdoor mall.

Some of the posts in this thread reminds me of the people who think AK is perfect as is and doesn't need anymore attractions.

aladdin2007

Some of the posts in this thread reminds me of the people who think AK is perfect as is and doesn't need anymore attractions.

Good point. The focus has been changed in recent years.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Indeed. Every original pavilion was meant to have an attraction of some kind - as were the planned phase 2 attractions too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom