E Ticket for World Showcase

aladdin2007

Indeed. Every original pavilion was meant to have an attraction of some kind - as were the planned phase 2 attractions too.

Martin do you think one day, since they cant seem to get sponsors etc for new pavilions, they may just start using the WS plots for stand alone attractions or something else? Instead of new pavilions I mean.

Tom

Beta Return
Martin do you think one day, since they cant seem to get sponsors etc for new pavilions, they may just start using the WS plots for stand alone attractions or something else? Instead of new pavilions I mean.

I'm not Martin, but even though WDW is getting better at locating rides and attractions in places they don't "belong", they'd really be stretching it to put anything that's not a country in WS.

They'd have to completely re-brand and re-market Epcot, since the World Showcase is billed, literally, as a showcase of the countries of the world.

If WDW were to fill in the voids with their own work, they'd still need to use certain countries.

aladdin2007

I'm not Martin, but even though WDW is getting better at locating rides and attractions in places they don't "belong", they'd really be stretching it to put anything that's not a country in WS.

They'd have to completely re-brand and re-market Epcot, since the World Showcase is billed, literally, as a showcase of the countries of the world.

If WDW were to fill in the voids with their own work, they'd still need to use certain countries.

Makes sense and hopefully it stays that way.

gmajew

Makes sense and hopefully it stays that way.

I agree World Showcase needs to stay as is, add some attractions in the country fine but it is one of my favorite nights with my family every year when we walk the worlds. With out the fighting of lines and mass attractions. We just sample food and drinks and enjoy!

Grizzly Hall 71

Here's my idea.

Add Greece between China and Germany. The main symbol would be the Acropolis. Add a dark ride in the back of the pavilion. called Hercule's Daring Journey. The cars would be themed to Pegasus and be mounted on Kuka arms. You'll ride through the story of Hercules and come face to face with Hades. Then there would be little shops and restaurants surrounding it.

However I don't think Greece would like that idea seeming how the hated everything about Hercules.

The Empress Lilly

You mean, like a 60000 sq ft tent that dispenses of all pretence of theming or placemaking and is used solely for the purpose of selling food or hosting private events?

Nah, they'd never do that, lest one might start to question if Disney is merely interested in exploiting the WS as a glorified food court and themed bar.

Grizzly Hall 71

You mean, like a 60000 sq ft tent that dispenses of all pretence of theming or placemaking and is used solely for the purpose of selling food or hosting private events?

Nah, they'd never do that, lest one might start to question if Disney is merely interested in exploiting the WS as a glorified food court and themed bar.

Why does the place you describe sound so familiar? Like a place I know. :hammer:

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
Add Greece between China and Germany.

Would be nice, but the recent total economic collapse of the actual Greece seems to make that a little unlikely.

Seems like Japan is the best bet for a new attraction, since there's an empty show building sitting there, with Germany second.

aladdin2007

I forgot all about that tent for conventions!! Yep that right there proves they will do whatever they want even if it means breaking away from traditional pavilions. At the same time though that tent is not permenant but, it makes too much money to be replaced. I can def see now how WS has been mall-ized. Look at Norway's Akershus. Its no longer about Norway but about how many people they can cram into there with characters.

The Empress Lilly

I can def see now how WS has been mall-ized. Look at Norway's Akershus. Its no longer about Norway but about how many people they can cram into there with characters.
There is something so sad about that.

I think WS is one of Imagineering's great triumphs. The place is awe inspiringly beautiful. I wish the splendour that is there would be respected, and that the place would be finished at long last, the individual pavilions and the empty plots.

I can somewhat envisage a WS purposely build for food and shopping, without attractions. Shopping mall during the day, food mall at night. It would be good. They could've build it without FW, just sitting there, pretty around the lake. It would be an awesome experience, somewhere in between a theme park, mall, dining and pleasure zone. It could've been some kind of upscale Pleasure Island.

As it is, WS feels directionless, neither here nor there, never clear about what it is. As a theme park it falls short of attractions. As a shopping mall it falls short of interesting shops. Only as a food court does WS seem to really work. (Although unfortunately, I myself am only capable of savouring one dinner a day, which makes the point a bit moot). I don't drink in a family theme park, so that aspect is lost on me.
As a mix of the lot, it slightly works, but it does leave me dissatisfied.

Ah well, if they ever undo the celebrity (real or cartoon) overlays and replace them with offerings with some attempt at artistry or imagination, I'll be happy. I've not been holding my breath anymore for those German or Japan attractions for over two decades, never mind a new ride. Much less an E-ticket. (Which WS doesn't really need to beign with. C and D tickets fit the WS atmosphere much better. But once established, a park rarely gets around to building C's and D's anymore. If only because they are difficult to market. Heavily market 'em, and people will be dissapointed, Don't market them, and the new ride will have little discernible effect)

MarkTwain

IASW was an E, you know.

http://www.perrific.com/disney/tickets/eticket.jpg

E doesn't necessarily mean thrill, does it? In my mind a sufficient level of detail pushes it over into that category.

This is true. That's why for me, E-ticket means more of a "showstopping, can't miss" attraction, and why Pirates and HM are both E-tickets to me, even though neither would really be considered thrill rides.

Even by that definition, E-tickets still don't belong in World Showcase IMO, because the prospect of a blockbuster attraction with long lines and etc. sort of defeats the purpose of World Showcase. World Showcase should be about the process of entering a pavilion, being slowly drawn in to its atmosphere and nuances, and occasionally, having an attraction that acts as an extension of that theme. That's why I think smaller, C- and D-ticket attractions work better for WS.

misterID

Then world Showcase should be chopped off from EPCOT and no longer be considered a theme park. And they need to stop charging for it, or at least slash the prices dramatically... But that won't happen.

I'm sorry, but a rideless themepark is not a theme park. And WS is a theme park. Theme parks have rides. Which is why people complain about and skip AK, even though a few people are strangely, but extremely happy to pay Disney prices to just "slow down, walk around and just look around." AK is not a zoo. Not a park. It's advertised and charges ticket prices, like a theme park.

How can E ticket rides defeat the purpose of WS when the purpose from the beginning was to have fantastic rides for WS? It's actually failed it's purpose.

Tokyo DisneySea is a perfect example how a theme park can be beautiful and still be a theme park. WS could be "our" TDS

Not wanting new, "showstopping" rides because they would have long lines? Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous. It's a theme park! The plots of land are huge to use for E-tickets and it wouldn't mess with the flow at all. I do respect everyones opinion on this, but it's still absolutely nuts to be happy with WS as it is, or to want it to be even more of a mall and less of a theme park.

WS could be amazing. BUT NOT AS A MALL. Right now it IS a mall and it's a huge disapointment. Not wanting a great E ticket for WS, which no doubt is one of the few places that has the best opportunities in any Disney park to have awe inspiring, jaw dropping, non character related attractions, is completely insane to me. It would do nothing but heighten the visual and aesthetic experience of WS. I'd love to see what WDI would come up with.

David S.

Which is why people complain about and skip AK, even though a few people are strangely, but extremely happy to pay Disney prices to just "slow down, walk around and just look around." AK is not a zoo. Not a park. It's advertised and charges ticket prices, like a theme park.

Well, in my case, I've never had to worry about the one day price of AK or figure out whether it's worth it, because it is included in my Annual Pass. So I never feel a conscious sense of worrying about rather I got "ripped off" on AK price-wise. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy more new attractions at AK because I would. But, being an Animal lover, I'm the kind of person who can easily spend a FULL DAY at a regular zoo that doesn't have ANY rides, just enjoying the animals. When you throw in the fact that AK also does have some more traditional type of "Disney park" attractions like rides and shows, I find it actually difficult to finish the park in a FULL DAY when it keeps zoo-like hours and closes at 5 or 6, without spending less time than I would like to spend viewing the actual animals.

When the park closes at 7 or 8 PM, I find it easier to do everything without feeling rushed. But if I tried to finish it in a half-day, I would definitely feel too rushed, and wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as if I slowed down and savored the details. And that's why I personally don't consider it a "half-day" park. However, I can see how people who aren't the type to spend full days at regular zoos viewing animals may feel cheated if they paid the full single-day price for AK expecting it to have as many rides as say, MK.

One of the great things about having an AP is you don't have to worry about seeing an entire park in a day, or, conversely, whether or not a park has enough of interest to the ticket buyer to fill up a day. You can just savor and enjoy them for what they are.

I think what's important to remember about AK, though, is, that while AK is "Nahtazu", in the sense that that's not ALL it is, it is still an AZA-accredited zoological park, and just as Epcot is Disney's interpretation of a classic World's Fair and Blizzard Beach is Disney's interpretation of a waterpark, AK CLEARLY is Disney's interpretation of the zoological park genre. And as such, while it will have more traditional Disney attractions like Everest, Dinosaur, Bug, and Lion King, the more zoological-oriented attractions like the animal trails are always going to be a major part of the AK experience.

Being a fan of that genre, I guess I see AK more in a half-full than half-empty kind of way. In other words, I don't think "Wow, there aren't enough rides here to fill up a day", but rather "Wow, I had a great day enjoying the animals on all the trails and exhibit areas, got to do a better Safari than I've experienced at ANY zoological park, saw the best Bird Show I've ever seen anywhere, and as a bonus got to do some typically Disneyesque rides and attractions that don't involve live animals (like Bug, Everest, Kali, Dinosaur, Nemo, Lion King, and the AWESOME Jammin' Jungle Parade) that you won't find at ANY zoo!

Having said all that, getting back to the topic of WS, I agree that World Showcase could use more attractions, and feel each nation should have an attraction, or else, yes, the nations without attractions can feel like a glorified mall - albeit an extremely well-themed one.

One thing that would be great if they DID add an "E-ticket" to one of the pavillions is it might cause them to rethink the 11 AM opening, and start opening WS with the rest of the park again, which I would like to see (or at least maybe open the country with the E-ticket with the rest of the park).

Imagineer6

Maybe they could build a whole new country where the African outpost is and make it Switzerland. Then the attraction could be the Matterhorn Bobsleds.

BigThunderMatt

IASW was an E, you know.

http://www.perrific.com/disney/tickets/eticket.jpg

E doesn't necessarily mean thrill, does it? In my mind a sufficient level of detail pushes it over into that category.

Hourly capacity was what denoted the ticket level. Peter Pan's Flight, which pushes through considerably LESS people per hour than HM or IASM was actually a D-Ticket back in the day.

They weren't necessarily thrilling rides, but they drew the most crowds because they were people eaters. Which is how the E-ticket term evolved into its usage today. It's just coincidental that the rides that draw the most crowds these days happen to be the biggest, most elaborate and exciting ones.

aladdin2007

Maybe they could build a whole new country where the African outpost is and make it Switzerland. Then the attraction could be the Matterhorn Bobsleds.

Theres actually two slots in that area depending on how they were to use them. For awhile Switzerland was planned to go between Italy and Germany,,,and or Mexico and Norway. Then Denmark was also slated to go between Germany and Italy, at one point. But of course none of that happened. Switzerland would look beautiful anywhere along there though with the Matterhorn. Oh well fun to dream.

Biff215

Hourly capacity was what denoted the ticket level. Peter Pan's Flight, which pushes through considerably LESS people per hour than HM or IASM was actually a D-Ticket back in the day.

They weren't necessarily thrilling rides, but they drew the most crowds because they were people eaters. Which is how the E-ticket term evolved into its usage today. It's just coincidental that the rides that draw the most crowds these days happen to be the biggest, most elaborate and exciting ones.

It's difficult to compare the old ticket system to today since we no longer pay to ride an individual attraction. While IASW was an E-ticket back when the park opened, how many people would be willing to fork over the most expensive ticket to ride it when they could instead ride Splash or Space? Even though IASW has a great hourly capacity, it's line would be even shorter if you were charged for an E-ticket. Perhaps some of the newer attractions would be better categorized as E+ or F tickets.

Today when WDI or the general public label a ride as an E-ticket, it is typically the most immersive attractions. They don't necessarily have the best hourly capacity and they don't have to be thrill rides. According to the old ticket system, they would simply be the most popular and therefore could demand the highest price ticket.

Just my opinion though, since it's mostly unimportant today since it's all included in the price of admission.

To get back on topic, I have to agree with some of the others who are happy with WS having only C and D ticket attractions. A major E-ticket would no doubt change the feel of WS and it can get busy enough as it is. The promenade wasn't really designed for huge crowds which is why Tapestry made things difficult for a while, even though I still miss it. WS isn't a theme park, it's simply an area of one. IMO Epcot is set up perfectly, with the wide open FW hosting the major "rides" and WS hosting the countries, even if they are just glorified malls. WS at night is the only place that rivals the feeling I get from the MK. There's just something about walking around the promenade with the torches lit and the great background music. I don't even need to wander through every country and I'm happy!

Tom

Beta Return
It's difficult to compare the old ticket system to today since we no longer pay to ride an individual attraction. While IASW was an E-ticket back when the park opened, how many people would be willing to fork over the most expensive ticket to ride it when they could instead ride Splash or Space? Even though IASW has a great hourly capacity, it's line would be even shorter if you were charged for an E-ticket. Perhaps some of the newer attractions would be better categorized as E+ or F tickets.

Today when WDI or the general public label a ride as an E-ticket, it is typically the most immersive attractions. They don't necessarily have the best hourly capacity and they don't have to be thrill rides. According to the old ticket system, they would simply be the most popular and therefore could demand the highest price ticket.

Just my opinion though, since it's mostly unimportant today since it's all included in the price of admission.

To get back on topic, I have to agree with some of the others who are happy with WS having only C and D ticket attractions. A major E-ticket would no doubt change the feel of WS and it can get busy enough as it is. The promenade wasn't really designed for huge crowds which is why Tapestry made things difficult for a while, even though I still miss it. WS isn't a theme park, it's simply an area of one. IMO Epcot is set up perfectly, with the wide open FW hosting the major "rides" and WS hosting the countries, even if they are just glorified malls. WS at night is the only place that rivals the feeling I get from the MK. There's just something about walking around the promenade with the torches lit and the great background music. I don't even need to wander through every country and I'm happy!

Remember E-Ride Night, which ended earlier in this decade? For $12 you could stay 3 hours after the MK closed and ride the "E-Ticket" attractions.

The attractions that were open (at least at various times during the stint of the program) included:
BTMR
Buzz
HM
Pooh
PhilHarMagic
Peter Pan
Space
Splash
Astro
CBJ
TTA
Pirates
Alien Encounter

So, based on this list, it's hard to say what Disney really considers an E-Ticket attraction today. I would agree with all of them, except Astro and TTA - which may have just been added to help absorb crowds when the fad caught on.

Off Topic: Oh, how I miss those days. The $12 was SOOOO worth it when you could literally walk on any of those attractions over and over and over, and that was during peak season. EMH was definitely not a welcomed change in my book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom