DTD's Marketplace Complete?

CDavid

DTD needs to be disney not other places JMO.

Thank You!

If disney wants to add third party vendors why dont they do it somewhere else they do have ALL that property

If only there were some other place on property to place all those tenants beating down Disney's door to lease or purchase retail space. It's not like there are going to be any empty buildings or vacant grassed lots anywhere in the Downtown Disney (especially in that new Hyperion Wharf area). Perhaps if there were some sort of 'crossings' development, maybe out Western Way, for third party tenants?

Oh, wait...never mind. :brick:

If disney wants to add third party vendors why dont they do it somewhere else they do have ALL that property. DTD needs to be disney not other places JMO.

I totally agree! They are taking all the Disney Magic out of it and turning into an outside mall. We can find that stuff anywhere! I for one, am sad to see it go!

Unplugged

So here's the real vision...

In about 10 years, when they finish the new monorail spur from TTC to DHS (sorry...pause for laughter :ROFLOL:), perhaps we'll all get a chuckle when we listen to the spiel that goes something like this.....

"Ladies and gentlemen, you've just boarded the Disney Hollywood Studios monorail. In just a few moments you'll be arriving at the all new home of Disney/Lucasfilms Star Wars Galaxy, a new land featuring the high speed Pod Racers, Star Tours II, the Chalmun's Cantina, and the Attack of Clones 4D experience. You'll also be able to experience a day in the life of a Pixar Character at the Monsters Inc. Closet Coaster, the Bug's Life Play Area, Toy Story Midway Mania, the Ratatouille Cafe, and watch for Wall-E as he roams Pixar Street collecting trash and meeting guests. Make sure to visit the thrilling Super Hero Expo 4D show featuring all your favorite Marvel characters!

As we pass through the Dolphin and Swan resorts, we approach Buena Vista Drive. To the East is Downtown Disney, the official Disney brand shopping district and home to countless 3rd party restaurants. To the far West is Disney's Flamingo Crossing landfill, a failed attempt to create yet another non-Disney zone which was to include 3rd party storefronts, restaurants, and hotels, now home to the piles of demolished Downtown Disney West Side and Hyperion Warf failures. Watch in 2022 for the new Disney Flamingo Peaks golf course built atop the mound of rubble.

We are now arriving at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Please hold your children by the hand as you exit the monorail and stand clear of the doors. Have a Magical Day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Thank you."

:lol: :lookaroun

jt04

Original Poster
Downtown Disney is NOT complete. Plenty of exciting changes are in the works. :animwink:

Just to be clear is was refering to the Marketplace only. I still believe the hype about Hyperion. Heck, I put the hype in Hyperion. :cool:

Lee

Adventurer
Downtown Disney is NOT complete. Plenty of exciting changes are in the works. :animwink:
Might oughta throw a "potentially" in there somewhere...:lol:
Otherwise folks around here will jump to conclusions and have a Marvel park showing up in the parking lot.:rolleyes:

Skipper Dan

Not complete...still need to replace Art of Disney, Mickey's Pantry (well, it's half-replaced with that spice shop, may be good enough), Mickey's Christmas Store...3rd party vendor space still available!

Dude, some of us actually like the Art of Disney store. :fork:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Might oughta throw a "potentially" in there somewhere...:lol:
Otherwise folks around here will jump to conclusions and have a Marvel park showing up in the parking lot.:rolleyes:
Nice....

I find it difficult to get excited about a 3rd party toy store, but if that is what DTD is about nowerdays then whoohoo.

Flesh it out. Complete the plan. In a decades time when it is all said and done it`ll still be a mall.

71jason

Dude, some of us actually like the Art of Disney store. :fork:

Exactly! I am one of those people who like the Art of Disney Store. Why should they even consider getting rid of it?

I rather enjoy it myself...just like I greatly enjoyed the clubs of Pleasure Island (and even stopped by Mickey's Groove a time or two). If you look at the history of DTD for the last 3 years however, look at what has closed:
* Disney scrapbooking store (replaced by Haines shop)
* PI clubs (replaced, if anything, by seed and mulch)
* Mickey's Groove (replaced by HD)
* Pooh Corner/Disney Tails (replaced by Little Miss Matched)
* Mickey's Pantry (still there, but half the store now taken up by a 3rd party spice shop)
* [RUMORED] Team Mickey (replaced by RideMakerz)

My point is Disney wants out of the store-running business, and only wants to run DTD as a mall. I suspect the remaining stores will drop off one-by-one as TDO finds more sucke...er, tenants.

Kamikaze

If you don't like it I know it is good. Also judging by the buzz of the crowd in the videos I have seen. It isn't just a home run, they hit a grand slam. And they are just getting started.

:sohappy:

The buzz of the crowd? You cannot be serious. Its freaking SHOPPING.

Mouse Detective

Ya what ever happened to the Western way thingamabob???

Disney finished all the streets and infrastructure but the project is dead on arrival. The economy tanking has something to do with it but the reality is that new construction is so expensive it would be hard for anyone to make a profit out there. Disney on-property hotel rates are significantly discounted at many locations that anything new out there would not be able to compete.

BobK/Orlando

flavious27

Of course we know that with Disney these things are never completed as new ideas are implemented and tastes change which lead to more changes.

With that said though and with the opening of the amazing Lego store, I think it is safe to say the Marketplace is now close to where they envisioned it. If you have not seen the pictures here they are....

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Shopping/LE...he-newly-expanded-LEGO-Imagination-Center.htm

The energy and crowds are exactly what Disney had in mind and I am sure this will continue with HW and changes to the Westend. Video of the new store proves Disney is right on track with the reimagining of DTD.

Kudos to Disney for sticking with Lego and congradulations on the amazing results.

Well it is close to what they envision with this tdo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom