DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

GothMickey

They did have a wrap around walkway that began right past the main entrance to PI and then wrapped around the backside of Planet Hollywood and then out into the Westside by AMC. When they took out the turnstyles they quietly and quickly demolished it forcing all the families through Pleasure Island.

As others have said Disney knew what they were doing when they took out the turnstyles, effectively killing Pleasure Island and all that made it fun and unique. :mad:

Yep, and wasn't one of the compaints about that walkway was it was too long of a walk from Marketplace to West Side for a family with little kids? Pathetic excuse if you ask me, but, I believe I read that online somewhere as a reason PI was open to everyone: shorter walkway.

GothMickey

Depends on who you believe. I believe the people that say otherwise. I expect the club to look virtually the same when I walk in on September 25th.

CM, hope you are right. What would the purpose of keeping the props in there though if they have no plans to ever reopen, other than for special events? You have to let us know if ANYTHING was removed. Hopefully it does reopen in the future so I can experience it. :(

NMBC1993

CM, hope you are right. What would the purpose of keeping the props in there though if they have no plans to ever reopen, other than for special events? You have to let us know if ANYTHING was removed. Hopefully it does reopen in the future so I can experience it. :(

Yeah it's not the same sitting here with a beer, watching the library shows on youtube. I miss having chair races in the mask room towards the end of the night:(

CaptainMichael

Because despite what Disney and others say, TDO has not made the decision to put the final nail in the coffin of the AC. That much is clear from what Lee (about selling the rights) and others say, and the fact that the ability to rent the AC was extended last December to October of this year (when January was supposed to be it). I say that the longer their troubles with signing 3rd parties goes on, the more likely that the AC reopens in October. Paradisio 37, Ragland Rd, Curl, etc will demand it.

hardcard

Isn't the "cultural experience" of drinking just a way of glamorizing it?

In southern Louisiana (read: New Orleans Area) drinking is very much a "cultural experience" and because of that, I feel it is very glamorized. If you think PI is bad....

New Orleans is the Toilet Bowl of the south (read: country).. it does not compare to PI

TarzanRocked99-

Yes, they should have. I totally agree. But, they didn't. That was a huge mistake. As that family with a 5 year old strolled through PI, witnessing scantily clad women pushing syringes filled with alcohol and jello shots, I can see their blood boiling thinking this is not the Disney vacation they signed up for. Sadly, Disney listens to this small, but vocal minority. They don't listen to the majority. Sad, but true.

Again they did have a walkway, people just complained that it wasn't the most direct route between the areas. (People will complain no matter what) One of the reasons they opened up the turnstyles was because intial data sugested that bar sales would go up if the parents pushing the strollers would come directly through the island and grab a drink at one of the OVC's.

PI as a whole felt like a Theme Park for adults after dark, you went through the turnstyles and it was one big party with entertainment everywhere. Once they took the turnstyles out they got rid of all the street entertainment and festivities and took what was unique and special about the place away.

tirian

Your statement up until 2005 is absolutely 100% wrong. And one of the reasons they opened up the turnstyles was because intials data sugested that bar sales would go up if the parents pushing the strollers would come directly through the island and grab a drink at one of the OVC's.

Yeah—everyone knows how accurate Disney's "Initial Data" and surveys are. ;) (That's a jab at the surveys, not at you. :wave:)

NMBC1993

Yeah—everyone knows how accurate Disney's "Initial Data" and surveys are. ;) (That's a jab at the surveys, not at you. :wave:)

Question #1- "Do you like PI?"
Question #2-"Would you like it if we made a referbishment to PI?"
Question #3-"If we built a new shop in DTD, would you go there?"

Thank you for your time

jakeman

Disney should have built a wrap around walkway for the parents of 5 year olds who drag them around at 11pm at night looking for something to do and kept the turnstiles at PI.
They did.

When I was there for my college program my group of friends called it the "Bridge of Morality". It was a giant pain to use too. It was often overcrowed and spilled into the street.

While I agree with that the turnstiles should have never been removed as that was the death knell for the area, the walkway around PI was horrible.

NMBC1993

So it IS just about the alcohol with you lot! Good Riddance!

No it's not about the alcohol. I am sitting in my home, it doesn't make it the same as PI. I just happen to be having a beer. I could go to a party and do the same thing. That's like saying "OMG THAT PERSON HAS ON A STITCH PIN, HE IS WHAT CAUSED ALIEN ENCOUNTER TO CLOSE DOWN!"

maggiegrace1

So it IS just about the alcohol with you lot! Good Riddance!
WHAT?:ROFLOL:

All because he said sitting here with a beer?

I sit ouside some weekends with a glass of wine and think of sitting in World Showcase watching people walk by and that does not mean that the only reason I love World Showcase is because of alcohol.

If he does not mean me saying this..CaptainMichael used to go to PI/AC almost every night of his CP and could not even drink alcohol at all yet he is one of it's biggest supporters..it has nothing to do with alcohol at all...

That is an excuse people are using..:brick:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Mmmmm tea totalers, vegetarians and zealots, you do have to wonder what dark secret has given them such an intolerant outlook on life.

Pass me a tequila Sheila.

EPCOT Explorer

WHAT?:ROFLOL:

All because he said sitting here with a beer?

I sit ouside some weekends with a glass of wine and think of sitting in World Showcase watching people walk by and that does not mean that the only reason I love World Showcase is because of alcohol.

If he does not mean me saying this..CaptainMichael used to go to PI/AC almost every night of his CP and could not even drink alcohol at all yet he is one of it's biggest supporters..it has nothing to do with alcohol at all...

That is an excuse people are using..:brick:

I agree. There's a reason why it's not in MK, but everywhere else? Fine by me. Everything in moderation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom