DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

GMan123

Wow, who has time to read the entire thread? it's a long one.

I have never been to CityWalk but looking at the website, I think there are much more shops that are interesting at DTD even with Virgin and Stabillas closing or in danger. The mention had been made about the 3rd-party vendors doing badly at DTD and mainly it was Virgin because no one is buying CDs. They have been in trouble for years, it was inevitable. I don't see the restuarants doing that bad. Sure Landry had mentioned they were having poor earnings but that was everyone in the upscale dining industry. The economy is getting better s l o w l y and business will pick up in the summer.

Everyone says DTD is doing bad but I think everyone fails to see that it's primary purpose is to attract tourists and not you WDW fanboys that work there. Are there any tourists on this board? I plan to go to WDW next month and I will go to DTD just to check it out, try the new restuarants (Paradiso sounds great!) and do some shopping too at whatever is open. I won't miss Virgin.

Just my two cents. You may commence to throwing poo at me! :lookaroun

jt04

So, then what are you saying?
I am not trying to be an a s s..I am just wondering because from reading the whole thread thats what I am getting..and if I am wrong I would like to know.

Also, just to clarify..I am a huge DTD fan..I love going there several times when I visit and was not a big PI fan at all..not that I had anything against it..just not my cup of tea.....although I do support AC because I know how important it is and how happy it made someone I know..and many many others.

If you love DTD now, you will love it even more in the future.

I've said everything I intended to say in this thread. It speaks for itself. Nothing else to add. And I've driven enough people to drink with my musings at this point.

Keeping the magic alive one day at a time. :wave:

maggiegrace1

Wow, who has time to read the entire thread? it's a long one.

I have never been to CityWalk but looking at the website, I think there are much more shops that are interesting at DTD even with Virgin and Stabillas closing or in danger. The mention had been made about the 3rd-party vendors doing badly at DTD and mainly it was Virgin because no one is buying CDs. They have been in trouble for years, it was inevitable. I don't see the restuarants doing that bad. Sure Landry had mentioned they were having poor earnings but that was everyone in the upscale dining industry. The economy is getting better s l o w l y and business will pick up in the summer.

Everyone says DTD is doing bad but I think everyone fails to see that it's primary purpose is to attract tourists and not you WDW fanboys that work there. Are there any tourists on this board? I plan to go to WDW next month and I will go to DTD just to check it out, try the new restuarants (Paradiso sounds great!) and do some shopping too at whatever is open. I won't miss Virgin.

Just my two cents. You may commence to throwing poo at me! :lookaroun
Like I said above..I love DTD...the atmosphere, shops, restaurants..thats me though and I do wear rose colored glasses...proudly..;):lol:

We also have a little girl who likes to play in the jumping water and play in the lego and toy stores and ride the train and play in the sand.

Go and come back and tell us what you think about it..:)

jt04

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Tell me about it...I kept reading several posts over and over again to try to see fi I could understand more and all I did was get more confused..:lol::hammer:

Now come on. If you are confused it is because you want to be confused. :p

GMan123

Like I said above..I love DTD...the atmosphere, shops, restaurants..thats me though and I do wear rose colored glasses...proudly..;):lol:

We also have a little girl who likes to play in the jumping water and play in the lego and toy stores and ride the train and play in the sand.

Go and come back and tell us what you think about it..:)

Exactly. I have a little girl too and this will be her first trip to WDW. I want her to experience everything so of course we will go there.

maggiegrace1

If you love DTD now, you will love it even more in the future.

I've said everything I intended to say in this thread. It speaks for itself. Nothing else to add. And I've driven enough people to drink with my musings at this point.

Keeping the magic alive one day at a time. :wave:
I am sure I will...:)

So, I guess then what you are saying is that alchohol is what helped in the demise of PI..because if what you have said speaks for itself..then that is what I am getting...and thats why I asked you that specifically because I tend to not fully understand what people are insinuating..:eek:
and did not want to assume something.

Oh well...Thanks anyway..:wave:

GothMickey

For one that appears to think of themselves as smart and witty you sure fall short. Do you just get on here to slam the Disney Corporation or are you smart enough to have a solution to the problem. Seems to me you're just another loud-mouthed nerd that was more than likely pushed around all his/her life and found an avenue on chat boards like this to put down everything that the majority enjoys.

And you are the biggest winner in the world who has such a great life that you have to take a person on a Disney message board and call them names?? How old are you, 10???? Please, when you can actually ADD to a conversation, then feel free to quote me and talk to me. Until you graduate kindergarten, then you are barred from discussing things with me.

Lee

Adventurer
Although I do believe glamorizing the "devils juice" by TWDC was a mistake of incredible magnitude. I think they now realize that which is a large reason changes are being made.
Wrong.
Alcohol was not the issue. Money was.
"Glamorizing".....:rolleyes:

GothMickey

So, then what are you saying?
I am not trying to be an a s s..I am just wondering because from reading the whole thread thats what I am getting..and if I am wrong I would like to know.

Also, just to clarify..I am a huge DTD fan..I love going there several times when I visit and was not a big PI fan at all..not that I had anything against it..just not my cup of tea.....although I do support AC because I know how important it is and how happy it made someone I know..and many many others.

I don't see where Disney glamorized drinking either. But, to add a little to this: Back in 1999 or 2000, I was walking through PI with my family. I cannot tell you how many girls selling Jello shots approached us asking if we wanted a jello shot. That was OUTSIDE of the clubs, in the walkways of PI.

I can only speak for myself with this but, if I was with my children, and I was being ounded by females, scantily dressed, trying to sell me jello shots/alcohol in front of my young children, I'd be at Guest Services in a heart beat complaining. I can imagine that being the case more times than not once the gates were remove and EVERYONE was allowed just to wander through to West Side.

Removing the gates was for sure a huge factor in PI's demise.

CaptainMichael

I don't see where Disney glamorized drinking either. But, to add a little to this: Back in 1999 or 2000, I was walking through PI with my family. I cannot tell you how many girls selling Jello shots approached us asking if we wanted a jello shot. That was OUTSIDE of the clubs, in the walkways of PI.

I can only speak for myself with this but, if I was with my children, and I was being ounded by females, scantily dressed, trying to sell me jello shots/alcohol in front of my young children, I'd be at Guest Services in a heart beat complaining. I can imagine that being the case more times than not once the gates were remove and EVERYONE was allowed just to wander through to West Side.

Removing the gates was for sure a huge factor in PI's demise.

Really? They must have stopped in 2007 because I never saw a single scantily dressed shot girl...and I can assure you that is something I wouldn't forget.

wilsonhanks

Like I posted before, I have an awesome idea for an addition to DD. I feel it would accomplish a lot towards what they are trying to do.

What they should do is make a Stitch Adventure game at DD similar to the Kim Possible one at Epcot, that would cause families to tour the entire complex having fun while seeing all that DD has to offer! I am amazed they have not done this yet. This would give families a reason to make it all the way over to the West Side AND part of it could bring them to the front of the ADVCLUB where they can learn about how cool the place is..... for example, stitch could teach them the club salute with an animated emil.

Stitch is such a great character, he can fit storyline in just about any place of Disney.

For example, imagine being on the jungle cruise, your passing the section of the scattered camp gear. It would be soooooo much better if Stitch was caught going through stuff, then had a dialogue with the skipper before running into the trees for the next boat.

It would be imperative that they keep Lilo away and just use Stitch at DD though, people love his spitting statue above World of Disney :fork::fork:

GothMickey

Really? They must have stopped in 2007 because I never saw a single scantily dressed shot girl...and I can assure you that is something I wouldn't forget.

Scantily was the only way I could describe it. I didn't mean they were dressed in heels and bikinis. Let me see if this better describes it. They were dress "Un-Disney like." Kind of like in a style you would expect the jello shot girls to dress in a dance club. Not scantily, just, not appropriate for children to see. Scantily was the wrong word.

GothMickey

Like I posted before, I have an awesome idea for an addition to DD. I feel it would accomplish a lot towards what they are trying to do.

What they should do is make a Stitch Adventure game at DD similar to the Kim Possible one at Epcot, that would cause families to tour the entire complex having fun while seeing all that DD has to offer! I am amazed they have not done this yet. This would give families a reason to make it all the way over to the West Side AND part of it could bring them to the front of the ADVCLUB where they can learn about how cool the place is..... for example, stitch could teach them the club salute with an animated emil.

Stitch is such a great character, he can fit storyline in just about any place of Disney.

For example, imagine being on the jungle cruise, your passing the section of the scattered camp gear. It would be soooooo much better if Stitch was caught going through stuff, then had a dialogue with the skipper before running into the trees for the next boat.

It would be imperative that they keep Lilo away and just use Stitch at DD though, people love his spitting statue above World of Disney :fork::fork:

I nominate wilsonhanks to be head of Imagineering. Disney needs MORE Stitch, not less!!! :ROFLOL: :lookaroun

EpcoTim

Scantily was the only way I could describe it. I didn't mean they were dressed in heels and bikinis. Let me see if this better describes it. They were dress "Un-Disney like." Kind of like in a style you would expect the jello shot girls to dress in a dance club. Not scantily, just, not appropriate for children to see. Scantily was the wrong word.

I don't see what the problem is. Most bar-goers would be more disturbed by seeing little kids walking around rather than shot girls.

71jason

Original Poster

Yeah, they were there back in the day, before the gates came down. Had the giant "syringe" shooters like scantily-clad woman still push at Halloween Horror Nights. It made more sense when you had to pay to just walk around and there were bands playing outside

Once again I find myself telling AdvClub fans under 25 how the whole Island used to be a blast...makes me feel old. :hammer:

BTW, and I can't belive I'm stopping into this dumb argument, but if WDW was so worried that PI "glamourized" alcohol, how come I can still buy booze at 6 West Side locations, 4 PI locations (soon to be 5), and at least 7 Marketplace locations? (Not counting multiple bars, BTW.) Hell, the only "dry" locations are the now-closed Virgin cafe and the Mickey Ds that may be on the way out.

Closing PI had nothing to do with profits or crowds. It had everything to do with Disney getting out of the theme park business. DTD is just a microcosm of WDW--the MBA who figures out how to outsource rides will be a coporate golden boy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom