DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

GothMickey

It had everything to do with Disney getting out of the theme park business. DTD is just a microcosm of WDW--the MBA who figures out how to outsource rides will be a coporate golden boy.

Out of the theme park business?? Really?? So who runs WDW, Disneyland, Toyko Disneyland, Disneyland Paris... etc???? Six Flags?? Universal???

CaptainMichael

Out of the theme park business?? Really?? So who runs WDW, Disneyland, Toyko Disneyland, Disneyland Paris... etc???? Six Flags?? Universal???

The Oriental Land Company runs Tokyo Disneyland:lookaroun I could see Disney wanting to expand this model to all existing parks. It's nice just to collect royalties.

GothMickey

I don't see what the problem is. Most bar-goers would be more disturbed by seeing little kids walking around rather than shot girls.

Think about MOST Americans. They fear scantily clad women on our TV sets. Imagine the horror walking through PI and seeing these females pushing alcohol in front of a 5 year old. Imagine the complaints of how unDisney that is. Imagine the demand for money back, letters of ruined vacations, traumitized kids. Let's not pretend that stuff like this didn't happen. People tend to WAY over react. And you know, they tend to WAY WAY over react when it comes time for anything Disney.

Problem you have in your post is the term BAR GOERS. Disney didn't want BAR GOERS. Many BAR GOERS get drunk and rowdy, a crowd NOT WANTED on Disney property. And I wasn't talking about BAR GOERS being disturbed by shot girls. I specifically said FAMILIES WITH LITTLE KIDS WALKING THROUGH TO WEST SIDE. Please do not rearrainge words to try to make your point.

CaptainMichael

Yeah, they were there back in the day, before the gates came down. Had the giant "syringe" shooters like scantily-clad woman still push at Halloween Horror Nights. It made more sense when you had to pay to just walk around and there were bands playing outside

Once again I find myself telling AdvClub fans under 25 how the whole Island used to be a blast...makes me feel old. :hammer:

I wish I had a time machine, so I could visit the old PI:(

EPCOT Explorer

No matter how profitable the nightclub business is, PI hadn't turned a profit in years. It seemed busy on certain days, especially Thursday nights, but it was overrun with CP kids and freaky locals who thought the actors at the AC and CW were their personal court jesters.

Back in the 90s, PI was immensely popular and was not, as some have claimed, "Eisner's Folly." In fact, PI originally featured a roller rink for the family—not every family has three screaming brats in overpriced princess dresses. The roller rink closed because the clubs were extremely popular.

You have to remember, this was during the late 80s and early-mid 90s, when the dance scene was popular for everyone. Look at the awfully cheesy music videos from the time—that was considered cutting-edge and cool! Nowadays, clubbing in the U.S. mostly means "teenagers and niche demographics (like Goths)" unless you live in NYC, LA, or Miami. Disney tried attracting the teens by removing the ticket booths, and we all know how well that worked. :rolleyes:

IMO, the original PI worked for three reasons:
1. Disney opened it at a time when the Touchstone label was highly valuable. Roger Rabbit, The Rocketeer, D--- Tracy, and other films gave Disney a multifaceted public image that wasn't all about little kids. Disney wasn't making direct-to-video cheapquals and Mickey Mouse wasn't just the emcee for a preschool clubhouse.
2. Disney was still publicizing WDW as a resort for everyone, not just a castle for kids. EPCOT Center and the D-MGM Studios were highly advertised, and the MK wasn't character-centric like it is now (only FL really featured fairy tales).
3. The nightclub culture covered a huge demographic who wanted to dance like Michael, sing like Whitney, and flash their leg warmers, neon shirts, and ozone-depleting hairspray.

IMO, PI failed because...
1. Eisner eventually made Disney a cash-hungry, bloated corporation that forgot about imagination and creativity after TLM, BATB, Aladdin, and TLK made bucket-loads of money. Under his last few years, Disney films became synonymous with cheap, direct-to-video trash suitable only for babysitting.

2. WDW is advertised as a place where preschoolers' dreams come true, and you can choke on the magic as the magical lands of a magical world whisk you away into magic for a magical time. ;) We know WDW provides more than that, but during the 80s and 90s, everyone knew it. Disney advertised the MK, Epcot, the Studios, golfing, and PI. Now they advertise the castle, because that's how they can make money off the BB Boutique and dress sales.

3. The club culture shifted towards niche demographics. Music videos aren't popular (look at MTV) and the idea of being a dancing/singing/video star for a night doesn't attract people. We've shifted away from the "let's all dance" culture of the 80s and 90s to one of "let's watch the kids on AI and the pros on 'Dancing with the Stars.'" Meanwhile, although groups of people do still enjoy the club scene, most of them aren't interested in a Disney version. Disney refused to reinvest and make PI attractive toward the new club scene, and PI failed.

You know... You and I don't usually see eye to eye, but I believe that we've always debated in a fair, fun, and respectful way.

But I gotta tell ya. I'm really starting to wonder if at this point you're not "swimming against the current" just to get a rise out of people now.

It's felt lately like you're very focused on taking the position opposite of the general consensus, and in most cases, common sense.

Truthfully, because of this, your comments have started to mean less in my mind. Which is a bummer.
Exactly how I feel anf think about this.

Like many other Disney Sucesses that were unique and new, they gave up. Again. It's a modern EPCOT Center to me.
If you love DTD now, you will love it even more in the future.

I've said everything I intended to say in this thread. It speaks for itself. Nothing else to add. And I've driven enough people to drink with my musings at this point.

Keeping the magic alive one day at a time. :wave:
I love how you assume...:lol:
The Oriental Land Company runs Tokyo Disneyland:lookaroun I could see Disney wanting to expand this model to all existing parks. It's nice just to collect royalties.
And, isn't where the props are headed? Across the Sea? *cough*

wilsonhanks

Yeah, they were there back in the day, before the gates came down. Had the giant "syringe" shooters like scantily-clad woman still push at Halloween Horror Nights. It made more sense when you had to pay to just walk around and there were bands playing outside

Once again I find myself telling AdvClub fans under 25 how the whole Island used to be a blast...makes me feel old. :hammer:

BTW, and I can't belive I'm stopping into this dumb argument, but if WDW was so worried that PI "glamourized" alcohol, how come I can still buy booze at 6 West Side locations, 4 PI locations (soon to be 5), and at least 7 Marketplace locations? (Not counting multiple bars, BTW.) Hell, the only "dry" locations are the now-closed Virgin cafe and the Mickey Ds that may be on the way out.

Closing PI had nothing to do with profits or crowds. It had everything to do with Disney getting out of the theme park business. DTD is just a microcosm of WDW--the MBA who figures out how to outsource rides will be a coporate golden boy.

You're greedy!!! I hate you :(:hurl::cool::lookaroun

GothMickey

Halloween Horror Nights is not geared for kids, nor is it promoted to children. When the turnstyles came down in PI, the area became open to children. We know how families will react in Disney with scantily clad women pushing alcohol in front of their children. Again, removing the turnstyles led to the demise of PI, along with other factors.

71jason

Original Poster

Think of EPCOT. Disney collects the rent, like a mall owner, but one company owns the Japan store, another runs the Italian restaurant, etc. The goal for EVERYTHING to "outsourced"--be run by third parties--at some point (as I said, not sure how you do that with rides, but the mid-level manager who figures it out will go far).

Or, as Captain Michael pointed out, TDL, which is run by a 3rd party company who just pays to use the Disney name and various Disney intellectual properties (e.g Pirates, Space Mountain). IIRC, this was the plan of corporate raiders back in the late 80s--sell off Disney's assets, including the parks, then just collect royalties. Sadly, the raiders now seem to be running the store.

BTW, totally agree with your point about HHN, basically what I meant...back when PI was geared to and more-or-less reserved for adults (although for the record, children could always get in everywhere but Mannequins up until a year or two ago).

GothMickey

The props aren't going anywhere. They shall remain at 5189 Hill St where they belong!!!

Isn't that contrary to what others have said? I was under the impression the props were being sent to TDL Well, maybe, with the props being kept in place, other than to have them around if people rent the place out, just maybe AC could reopen. Wouldn't hold my breath on that, but, who knows? I never did get to see AC in person.

GothMickey

Think of EPCOT. Disney collects the rent, like a mall owner, but one company owns the Japan store, another runs the Italian restaurant, etc. The goal for EVERYTHING to "outsourced"--be run by third parties--at some point (as I said, not sure how you do that with rides, but the mid-level manager who figures it out will go far).

Or, as Captain Michael pointed out, TDL, which is run by a 3rd party company who just pays to use the Disney name and various Disney intellectual properties (e.g Pirates, Space Mountain). IIRC, this was the plan of corporate raiders back in the late 80s--sell off Disney's assets, including the parks, then just collect royalties. Sadly, the raiders now seem to be running the store.

I don't see them selling off the parks, which is what you basically are saying they want to do. Maybe I am wrong, but, I don't see that. The stock will be worthless if that happens. They have share holders to answer to. Believe me, selling the parks and renting the name DISNEY out is not something the share holders will allow.

TarzanRocked99-

They did have a wrap around walkway that began right past the main entrance to PI and then wrapped around the backside of Planet Hollywood and then out into the Westside by AMC. When they took out the turnstyles they quietly and quickly demolished it forcing all the families through Pleasure Island.

As others have said Disney knew what they were doing when they took out the turnstyles, effectively killing Pleasure Island and all that made it fun and unique. :mad:

GothMickey

Disney should have built a wrap around walkway for the parents of 5 year olds who drag them around at 11pm at night looking for something to do and kept the turnstiles at PI.

Yes, they should have. I totally agree. But, they didn't. That was a huge mistake. As that family with a 5 year old strolled through PI, witnessing scantily clad women pushing syringes filled with alcohol and jello shots, I can see their blood boiling thinking this is not the Disney vacation they signed up for. Sadly, Disney listens to this small, but vocal minority. They don't listen to the majority. Sad, but true.

Thurp

If I remember correctly, the jello shot girls were around until the turnstiles went away. People who went in, went in to party, seeing those girls selling drinks was part of the atmosphere. I may not like girls, but I sure rather see them than children in strollers when I'm trying to relax after a long week at work.

I smiled when I saw their change trays for sale at property control not long ago.

CaptainMichael

Isn't that contrary to what others have said? I was under the impression the props were being sent to TDL Well, maybe, with the props being kept in place, other than to have them around if people rent the place out, just maybe AC could reopen. Wouldn't hold my breath on that, but, who knows? I never did get to see AC in person.
Depends on who you believe. I believe the people that say otherwise. I expect the club to look virtually the same when I walk in on September 25th.

IT belongs in a MUSEUM!

Yes, and the AC is M.A. Pleasure's personal museum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom