Drowning in pop century hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

The resort does have signs that list pool hours however they will let you swim at anytime. I'm on property right now and I can tell you lifeguards were gone at 8 pm last night and we still had people swimming after midnight last night despite it being cold

Hense..... 8pm seems kinda early for lifeguards to be off duty.

Dads 2 Boys

The life guards here now are walking the pools edge constantly. None are sitting only pacing back and forth in zones. Pool hours change in the winter. There are many suites walking about. Most guests have no idea.

This is what they were doing last month (as the norm). I've never seen them sit even when we were there in 2011 and my kids were in the pool frequently.

Polydweller

No. That's putting out a sign to cover their rears. Which is absolutely fine. :)
Yeah, it is that but I come at from my hotelier's point of view. With listed hours and swim at your own risk signs that is effectively closure. It is saying that the guest would be using the pool outside of the pool's operational hours. Basically closure though not physical closure.

Back on topic, thankfully the boy survived so there is hope of recovery and that would suggest the family and hotel staff responded quickly and appropriately. Also, some reports say the father was the first to do CPR. Sounds like good parenting to me.

Greg Eng

@Goofyernmost- The definition of drowning is to suffocate in water or to inhale water. Not to make this into an argument but you can drown and still live. As bad of a story that this is, Disney has taken all protocols for safety by displaying warning signs that you swim at your own risk when lifeguards are not on duty. Families just have to be extra safe and observant in the evenings if they take advantage of utilizing the swimming pool areas.

PhotoDave219

I'm not disputing last night. I'm saying that lifeguards have been on duty until 11:00PM in the past.

And I'm 100% agreeing with you that in the past, they've been on until 11pm. You would think in the Spring Break season/high occupancy season that would remain the case.

PhotoDave219

@Goofyernmost- The definition of drowning is to suffocate in water or to inhale water. Not to make this into an argument but you can drown and still live. As bad of a story that this is, Disney has taken all protocols for safety by displaying warning signs that you swim at your own risk when lifeguards are not on duty. Families just have to be extra safe and observant in the evenings if they take advantage of utilizing the swimming pool areas.

Look, @Goofyernmost apologized. Leave him be on it.

bethymouse

Prayers...
It's almost like the new "age" requirement @ the parks!:eek:
I know the POLY main pool lifeguards were off duty @ 8. The main slide was closed, but you could still swim "at your own risk". I am sure now this rule will be "reevaluated".:(

disneysince71

For those of you who have never done anything you regret with all your heart from ignorance or faulty prior knowledge, then I guess you can throw those stones at the parents. We should be holding them up, offering our prayers and support at least until we know more. Someone may have lost their precious child last night. That is all that should matter. And, we are talking about a 13 year, who may have been with other trusted family members.
Thank you.... :)

jdmdisney99

This is a very scary event. Once, when I was at the World, a poor father and husband drowned in the Lagoon near GF at night. It was scary because thats where we were staying. My friend and his family first went on RnRC it was the day after a kid passed away on that ride. Very confusing, emotional times. Prayers out for the victim and family.

luv

If the boy is going to die, they will do everything they can to keep him in "serious" (stable) condition (not "critical") for 24 hours so that the organs could be donated, if the family makes the generous choice to do so. I hope and pray they are not forced to make that decision.
Prayers...
It's almost like the new "age" requirement @ the parks!:eek:
I know the POLY main pool lifeguards were off duty @ 8. The main slide was closed, but you could still swim "at your own risk". I am sure now this rule will be "reevaluated".:(
I hope not. I feel terrible for this family, but one case of drowning (and I'm just assuming it was drowning) shouldn't mean millions of other people should be unable to swim.

I adored my 5 a.m. swims. They got my feet ready for another day. They were so peaceful...just me and the ducks watching the sun come up...the occasional runner going by.

I never feel quite right when I can't swim in the morning. The whole day seems "off" to me. From the time I was very young until she died, Mom always said I was part fish. It's true. I still lament the fact that I have no gills. So, I know I take my pool time more seriously than others. But, being a swimmer, I've met other people who feel the same way. I would hate to see them lose their pool privileges.

And for many kids, the best part of vacation is jumping on the bed when they first get into a room...and swimming in the pool.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The cousins and grandma have reached out and asked for prayers for Anthony and his parents. Asked that the focus is placed on prayers for Anthony.

Yes.

And they were all largely true too ...

No, not the ones I read on the boards. Those first 24 hours ripped the young man kinda like this young teens parents got raked over the coals early on. Unfortunate.

Word from a friend with a source at the hospital is not good and that the child was basically dead when brought in.

Considering the time of the incident (9-9:30), one wonders whether anyone out there was actually paying attention. This was during open hours ... not like 2:45 a.m.

So are your sources still consistent with their statements from last night? Is the prognoses the same as you shared before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom