Drinking Fountain Water

jsdratm

Original Poster
In October, when I was at the Magic Kingdom, I noticed that the drinking fountain water tasted absolutely horrible (especially in Tomorrowland). It had a very bad aftertaste, reminiscent of sulfur. I spent my first day in DHS, where the water actually tasted normal. Does anyone know why the water in MK is so yucky? :(

kcw

In October, when I was at the Magic Kingdom, I noticed that the drinking fountain water tasted absolutely horrible (especially in Tomorrowland). It had a very bad aftertaste, reminiscent of sulfur. I spent my first day in DHS, where the water actually tasted normal. Does anyone know why the water in MK is so yucky? :(

I actually can't drink the water from water fountains anywhere in Orlando. It all tastes like sulfur or just straight up rusted metal. It was the same problem with the water we'd get in our apartment- most mornings when I showered it would smell like rotten eggs. I've heard that most people that aren't from FL or Orlando specifically don't notice this, as this is what they grew up with, but people from different areas seem to have a bigger problem with it. :shrug: Granted that doesn't exactly explain why it would be fine in DHS but not in the MK

PeoplemoverTTA

This is probably all in my head, but I've found that the water in Florida tastes "better" (i.e less sulfur-y) if it's very cold. Perhaps the drinking fountains at DHS were a bit colder? :shrug:

cpeterstx

Welcome to Florida. We lived in Tampa for 2 years and our water always tasted like sulfur. It was horrible. It's bottled water for me!

MissM

I've heard that most people that aren't from FL or Orlando specifically don't notice this, as this is what they grew up with, but people from different areas seem to have a bigger problem with it.
Actually, having lived in Florida for over 20 years, I can tell you I don't know a single person that drinks the tap straight. Everyone either drinks bottled or has a Britta filter on their faucet and ice dispenser fridge, or complete system for their house. Florida water is just sadly horrible and undrinkable. :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:
-m

sublimesting

Hey, sulfur is very good for you...think of it as nature's health tonic:).
Before we had antibiotics we had sulfur, and sulfur springs are very rejuvenating and good for the skin.

Mmmm, let's hear it for sulfur everybody!

Raven66

The last time we went we would buy a bottle of water each and I had packed individual baggies of iced tea mix. When we refilled I would just add the mix and it was fine. I definately wouldn't drink the water without something tasty in it.

MissM

If you're like me and you're intolerant/allergic to artificial sweeteners, I'd also recommend these: http://truelemon.com/

True Lemon, True Orange and True Lime are just crystallized citrus and they make easy drink-on-the-go ones also. It can help give a light flavor to a water without sweetness. (You could also use the True Lemon in a tea or something for example when lemon juice would be impossible or impractical.)

I found them at my super Target but I think they're getting easier to find. I was pleasantly surprised by the discovery as it's nice to have a change once in awhile.
-m

Polyman

Some of the drinking fountains in all the parks and resorts are filtered, some are not. You can still get ice cold water with that Florida taste, or warmish water that tastes fine. Likewise, some of the stands and F&B locations that serve soft drinks have filtered water, and some don't. That's why a Coke at one location doesn't taste the same as a Coke at another.

LudwigVonDrake

Fill your ice bucket with ice before you go to sleep. When you wake up you'll have FRESH water to drink or use for brushing your teeth. The water in the ice cubes at WDW is filtered and tastes fine.

wvdisneyfamily

I can barely brush my teeth in that water. We brought these on our trip last week and they GREATLY improved the taste.

http://www.purewater2go.com/bottles.html

I just bought some of those for our trip this year.

Fill your ice bucket with ice before you go to sleep. When you wake up you'll have FRESH water to drink or use for brushing your teeth. The water in the ice cubes at WDW is filtered and tastes fine.

Thanks for the tip!

If you're like me and you're intolerant/allergic to artificial sweeteners, I'd also recommend these: http://truelemon.com/

True Lemon, True Orange and True Lime are just crystallized citrus and they make easy drink-on-the-go ones also. It can help give a light flavor to a water without sweetness. (You could also use the True Lemon in a tea or something for example when lemon juice would be impossible or impractical.)

I found them at my super Target but I think they're getting easier to find. I was pleasantly surprised by the discovery as it's nice to have a change once in awhile.
-m

I just applied for free samples.

WDWRLD

You would actually drink water from those fountains.....Ive seen everything from people washing out dishes (those who snuck food in the park I guess) to taking a bath in some of the WDW drinking fountains.

bluejayx

well to me the best drinking fountain in the park at the magic kingdom is over by the first aid center, it always cold and does not have the taste. the worst is the fountains by the Pinocchio's restrooms their just nasty. If the fountain are warm just run them for awhile and the colder water will start to come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom