Drinking Fountain Water

MSTINKHERBELL01

we never drink the H2O fountains in WDW. Now, if you HAVE to do it..we found these fountains to taste a bit better(mind you, we bring our own water in bottles that are frozen at least 2 days before our trip...saves money!)

MK-The Starlite Diner
Epcot-Electric Umbrella

So, try these and let us know!:wave:

Antjeanne

I got deathly ill during my trip last August. I had an intestinal rampage for 5 days of an 8 day trip. The Doctor thinks it came from a water fountain . I never drink from them, but it was really hot the lines were long to get a bottle. so I used a fountain for the first time in years and it seems i paid the price.
Never again.
Ant

Jesùs_Carioca

What can i say, I'm a Florida kid. I'm used to the taste i suppose?

Although, I do understand that if haven't grown up with such a taste synonymous to something that you've been drinking every single day of your life such as water, it's easilly explainable in seeing as to why you wouldn't like it.

I have a question though, for those who aren't fond of the water fountain taste here. Have you tried asking for cups of ice water at restaurants? Do they have the same problem as fountain water? I've always been curious about this, since my taste has been jaded in telling the difference.

Phonedave

Hey, sulfur is very good for you...think of it as nature's health tonic:).
Before we had antibiotics we had sulfur, and sulfur springs are very rejuvenating and good for the skin.

Mmmm, let's hear it for sulfur everybody!

SulfA not sulfur :)

as in sulfonamides

But lets hear it for sulfur anyway :)

-dave

kcw

I have a question though, for those who aren't fond of the water fountain taste here. Have you tried asking for cups of ice water at restaurants? Do they have the same problem as fountain water? I've always been curious about this, since my taste has been jaded in telling the difference.

yup, same problem. Which was rough because water is basically all I drink, and it's all I order when I eat out.....

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Actually, the smell of the showers at the resorts is one of those triggers that reminds me where I am when I'm in Orlando. Kind of odd, but it's nothing I smell anywhere else.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The fountain water has always been minging, In august i prefer to pay the money and by a cold bottle every hour or so. I tried a Kamelbag but even with the insulated straw it still warmed up to much.

Besides the beer tastes nice on tap or from the bottle its a better option, even at the MK its a monorail stop away.

sublimesting

SulfA not sulfur :)

as in sulfonamides

But lets hear it for sulfur anyway :)

-dave

Right I should clarify, sulfa which contains sulfur embedded in its molecules is for wounds, whereas sulfur is great for the skin and actually the 8th most prevalent element in our bodies. one can be allergic to sulfonamide drugs but one can not be allergic to sulfur itself. So drink up everybody, it replenishes your 8th most important mineral.

Oh, and to the person who drinks out of ice buckets...I probably wouldn't do that. I used to work in housekeeping years ago and ice buckets aren't really always "sterile" as they are often just wiped out with a towel.

jsdratm

Original Poster
I brought in a bottle of gatorade every day that would usually last the morning, but then I would have to resort to the dreaded drinking fountains... :lookaroun I guess I'm not used to it since up here in the midwest, we have well water that actually tastes good. I think the water was like that down in Cancun, Mexico as well, where it had a funny smell in the shower and I was scared to drink anything except bottled water and alcohol. :D

radiohost

The best water on property comes at the boat dock at the Wilderness Lodge!!!

Trust me, I worked in WDW Watercraft transportation last year for my college program, and it was by faaaaaarrrrrrr the best. Tasted great!!!

Radiohost:cool:

doop

I always buy a bottle of water early in the day then refill it at the water fountains. It's definitely not as good as the water here, but it's still refreshing on a long hot day at the parks.

JiminyandTink

I've noticed the same thing with water anywhere I've been in Florida. I think we become accustomed to the water we drink back home so it just tastes different.

I've heard that Coca-Cola company purposely uses the local water in its products in its factories across the world for that very reason.

scarpiapiano

The sulfur-like water is my biggest gripe about the Orlando area. Because I'm the biggest tight-wad in the world, instead of paying for bottled water, I'm planning on bringing 2 Britta water pitchers, then filling 4 or 5 big water bottles, freezing them overnight everynight, and using those in the parks. Because we need an EVC it's no big deal to lug all of our water around with us. I hope that the refrigerator in our hotel (AKL Villas - studio unit) will be big enough. We're going to switch to a one bedroom unit for our second week. I'm positive that the refrigerator in the 1 bdrm. unit will accomadate all of our water. Any other suggestions? Anyone out there think that my plan may not work?

lilclerk

The sulfur-like water is my biggest gripe about the Orlando area. Because I'm the biggest tight-wad in the world, instead of paying for bottled water, I'm planning on bringing 2 Britta water pitchers, then filling 4 or 5 big water bottles, freezing them overnight everynight, and using those in the parks. Because we need an EVC it's no big deal to lug all of our water around with us. I hope that the refrigerator in our hotel (AKL Villas - studio unit) will be big enough. We're going to switch to a one bedroom unit for our second week. I'm positive that the refrigerator in the 1 bdrm. unit will accomadate all of our water. Any other suggestions? Anyone out there think that my plan may not work?
I suggest those filter bottles (http://www.purewater2go.com/bottles.html) They're much more convenient as you can just fill them in the park and they're pretty cheap.

scarpiapiano

Thanks but I think we'd need about 6 of those 30 oz. bottles to make it through the parks in mid-June. I'll think it over but I really need to get a move on. I only have 450 days left.:lol:

sublimesting

Thanks but I think we'd need about 6 of those 30 oz. bottles to make it through the parks in mid-June. I'll think it over but I really need to get a move on. I only have 450 days left.:lol:

The DW and I are all about hydrating madness and we just suck it up and drink it, cause in the summer we drink about 2 bottles an hour each.

LudwigVonDrake

Oh, and to the person who drinks out of ice buckets...I probably wouldn't do that. I used to work in housekeeping years ago and ice buckets aren't really always "sterile" as they are often just wiped out with a towel.

I put the bag inside before I put in the ice.

Plus what is sterile? People who drink out of water fountains are risking germs left behind by people (and there are some) who actually put their mouths on the spigot (or whatever you call where the water comes out of) :hurl:

meekoman

Last Sept, me, my wife and my sister all ended up in urgent care because of the water we drank at a water fountain outside the Canada pavillion. It was the sickest I have ever been in my life. The doctor said I was close to having to be admitted to the hospital for dehydration. When we all got hit with the bug, we were at the Mexico pavillion. We only made it as far as the first aid station at the Oddysey where we were stuck for 2 hours because we couldn't go 5 minutes without throwing up and ...you know. A few days later I was talking with another guest at a park who was a water systems engineer and his wife was a former health inspector and they said NEVER drink from the water fountains in Florida. With the water table so high, the water doesn't get to naturally filter enough. And unless the water is filtered by reverse osmosis, like Daisani and Aquafina is, it's not worth drinking. No bottled spring water either.
Just thinking back about the ordeal makes me nauseous.

Glasgow

It's funny how a hundred years ago people would be happy to just have water .. haha. The colder the better though, in general

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom