Dream Disney Resort

What extinct attraction would you like to see in my Magic Kingdom?

• Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • If You Had Wings

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Dreamflight

• Snow White's Scary Adventures

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Country Bear Jamboree

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Adventure Thru Inner Space

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other (Specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DisneyManOne

You can also have your wedding reception in the Animation Courtyard, Sleeping Beauty Castle, and Small World Plaza at Disneyland. But seriously, no thank you. I'd rather spend the money on a lifetime annual pass. :p

I'm not too sure myself. It's always been my dream to get married at Disney. In fact, when I was young, I even had fantasies of being wed in front of the Castle! Shame that it would cost around 10 grand to make it come true...

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Still alive, folks! Sorry I've been M.I.A. I'm a bit overbooked this week with a friend's wedding and my upcoming vacation to New York, New York! I promise I'll be back soon with new and exciting updates. My official vacation lasts this Wednesday thru Saturday, August 18. Perhaps this will give @spacemt354, a chance to work on a rough sketch of the new and improved Hollywood Boulevard? ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Still alive, folks! Sorry I've been M.I.A. I'm a bit overbooked this week with a friend's wedding and my upcoming vacation to New York, New York! I promise I'll be back soon with new and exciting updates. My official vacation lasts this Wednesday thru Saturday, August 18. Perhaps this will give @spacemt354, a chance to work on a rough sketch of the new and improved Hollywood Boulevard? ;)
Ironically I'm going away when you're coming to New York haha (I live in the area)

Have you ever been? I'm assuming you're gonna go see a Broadway show or two?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Ironically I'm going away when you're coming to New York haha (I live in the area)

Have you ever been? I'm assuming you're gonna go see a Broadway show or two?

Of course! Haha.

I'm seeing Sweeney Todd, Frozen, Mean Girls, and Hello, Dolly for sure... We are going to try and get tickets on the spot for Carousel and possibly SpongeBob.

DisneyManOne

Of course! Haha.

I'm seeing Sweeney Todd, Frozen, Mean Girls, and Hello, Dolly for sure... We are going to try and get tickets on the spot for Carousel and possibly SpongeBob.

I can remember back on the SYWTBAI forums, discussing a New York trip around the time Matilda and Kinky Boots opened on Broadway. I've never been to Broadway myself, but I have been to its British counterpart: the West End.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I can remember back on the SYWTBAI forums, discussing a New York trip around the time Matilda and Kinky Boots opened on Broadway. I've never been to Broadway myself, but I have been to its British counterpart: the West End.

That would have been back in 2013. :p So Visions Fantastic was still around. Haha. That trip brought me Matilda, Once, Book of Mormon and Kinky Boots. Last August, I saw Anastasia, Aladdin, Waitress, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Whatever you do, don't see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

DisneyManOne

That would have been back in 2013. :p So Visions Fantastic was still around. Haha. That trip brought me Matilda, Once, Book of Mormon and Kinky Boots. Last August, I saw Anastasia, Aladdin, Waitress, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Whatever you do, don't see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Trust me, I won't. Frankly, I think the original London production of Charlie was severely underrated; and I think it's terrible they replaced, IMO, the best adaptation of the story since the 1971 film with this abomination. And what stinks even more is that, apparently, this is gonna be the version that they'll be using from now on (because it's easier to tour. -_-) I've got so many grievances with that show, I don't even know where to begin.

But you never know: maybe the O.G. London production will get to be performed again. I've always thought a Disney-animated adaptation of the London production would be absolutely beautiful. And if they did with the Deep Canvas technology (2D animation against 3D backgrounds, as used in Tarzan), it would be even more beautiful. Plus, since it's animated, it would be harder to argue against any other film adaptation. Think about it--there's never been a proper animated adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before. If Disney was able to wrangle the rights to the musical from Warner Bros. and do something right with the source material, I think they'd have another masterpiece on-hand. I mean, Warner Bros. is definitely on a creative slump, probably on the same slump as Sony Pictures is. If their two latest takes on this classic story are the abomination that was the 2017 Broadway adaptation and the unneeded remake of the 1971 version with Tom and Jerry thrown in for no reason, any studio would be able to do a better job with the source material.

DisneyManOne

Of course! Haha.

And by the way, regarding my last post above, I've heard that the guy who directed the 2017 Broadway Charlie, Jack O'Brien, is also directing the revival of Carousel. And if Charlie was any indication, I'm scared that he screwed up another classic story as well. If you go see it, I hope you'll tell us what it was like.

Suchomimus

And if they did with the Deep Canvas technology (2D animation against 3D backgrounds, as used in Tarzan), it would be even more beautiful. Plus, since it's animated, it would be harder to argue against any other film adaptation. Think about it--there's never been a proper animated adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before. If Disney was able to wrangle the rights to the musical from Warner Bros. and do something right with the source material, I think they'd have another masterpiece on-hand.
I’d love to see Disney do it in hand drawn or stop motion (I don’t think CGI would do it justice).

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm home! My flight was canceled yesterday (thunderstorms), so my arrival is a bit delayed.

Anyhow, I doubled the amount of shows that I saw, so here's a rundown of everything. This post is mostly for @DisneyManOne. ;) I'll rate everything too, because why not.

1. Carousel - 7/10

2. Sweeney Todd - 10/10

3. The Play That Goes Wrong - 7.5/10

4. Frozen - 8/10

5. Once on this Island - 10/10

6. Mean Girls - 10/10

7. The Phantom of the Opera - 7.5/10

8. Hello, Dolly! - 10/10

If you want to sob like a baby, then see Once on this Island immediately. If you want to laugh hysterically and feel good about yourself, see Mean Girls. Every show was fantastic, there wasn't a weak link in the bunch. I didn't feel like I was wasting my time at any venue. Carousel and Frozen were my least favorite of the musicals, but were both really great shows. The Play That Goes Wrong was hilarious, but a little too long for my taste. Otherwise, everything, all eight shows, were tremendous. 10/10 would recommend.

Suchomimus

I'm home! My flight was canceled yesterday (thunderstorms), so my arrival is a bit delayed.

Anyhow, I doubled the amount of shows that I saw, so here's a rundown of everything. This post is mostly for @DisneyManOne. ;) I'll rate everything too, because why not.

1. Carousel - 7/10

2. Sweeney Todd - 10/10

4. Frozen - 8/10

6. Mean Girls - 10/10

8. Hello, Dolly! - 10/10

If you want to sob like a baby, then see Once on this Island immediately. If you want to laugh hysterically and feel good about yourself, see Mean Girls. Every show was fantastic, there wasn't a weak link in the bunch. I didn't feel like I was wasting my time at any venue. Carousel and Frozen were my least favorite of the musicals, but were both really great shows. The Play That Goes Wrong was hilarious, but a little too long for my taste. Otherwise, everything, all eight shows, were tremendous. 10/10 would recommend.
What about Phantom?

DisneyManOne

1. Carousel - 7/10

2. Sweeney Todd - 10/10

4. Frozen - 8/10

6. Mean Girls - 10/10

8. Hello, Dolly! - 10/10

I've always had my trepidations about this particular Carousel, because again, it was helmed by Jack O'Brien, who helmed the Broadway Charlie as well as the original Love Never Dies (aka Andrew Lloyd Webber's glorified Phantom fanfiction); especially considering that it's a story that kinda-sorta glorifies domestic abuse. How did they stage that part of the show? I've heard they cut the part about "It's possible for someone to hit you and for you to not feel it"--is that true?

mickeyfan5534

1. Carousel - 7/10

2. Sweeney Todd - 10/10

4. Frozen - 8/10

6. Mean Girls - 10/10

8. Hello, Dolly! - 10/10

Once on this Island has always been my number 1 underrated show. It’s genuinely fantastic when it’s done right and the revival cast is literal perfection.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I've always had my trepidations about this particular Carousel, because again, it was helmed by Jack O'Brien, who helmed the Broadway Charlie as well as the original Love Never Dies (aka Andrew Lloyd Webber's glorified Phantom fanfiction); especially considering that it's a story that kinda-sorta glorifies domestic abuse. How did they stage that part of the show? I've heard they cut the part about "It's possible for someone to hit you and for you to not feel it"--is that true?

The first act, at least to me, was and felt boring. That being said, the second act was excellent. The plot of domestic abuse is still present, but it is definitely toned down and cut to an extent that it feels like the idea was put on the back-burner. He still hits both his wife and daughter, but it only happens once. This does not however ruin the rest of the show for me or the audience.

Phantom was also good. I just felt like it needs an update or something to cut out the fat and streamline the show. The scenes in the office with the producers and Carlotta were horribly boring to me. :p

DisneyManOne

The first act, at least to me, was and felt boring. That being said, the second act was excellent. The plot of domestic abuse is still present, but it is definitely toned down and cut to an extent that it feels like the idea was put on the back-burner. He still hits both his wife and daughter, but it only happens once. This does not however ruin the rest of the show for me or the audience.

Phantom was also good. I just felt like it needs an update or something to cut out the fat and streamline the show. The scenes in the office with the producers and Carlotta were horribly boring to me. :p

I've done Carousel myself on stage before, and we never see Billy hit Julie. It happens off-stage and we only know of it because of the conversations the characters have; and yes, they strictly say Billy only hit her once, and it's only due to rumors that he's developed the reputation of being a wife-beater. And when he hits his daughter, he does so on her hand.

And you're right about the whole domestic abuse issue being toned down. Many reviews of this show noted that Jack O'Brien's direction does little to help the show deal with modern sensibilities. I can only imagine what Bartlett Sher could do with this material. I mean, he was successfully able to bring My Fair Lady into a modern sensibility (i;e firmly implying that Higgins and Eliza don't end up together), so I think a Sher-helmed Carousel could be the best version of the show since the 1994 Hytner version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom