Dream Disney Resort

What extinct attraction would you like to see in my Magic Kingdom?

• Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • If You Had Wings

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Dreamflight

• Snow White's Scary Adventures

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Country Bear Jamboree

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Adventure Thru Inner Space

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other (Specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mharrington

Man, I could never be able to match the things you do here. I personally prefer to try to ground my ideas in the real world. I think it was that impressive thread on improving Walt Disney World by @stitchcastle that had such an impact on me.

DisneyManOne

As interesting as If You Had Wings is, Soarin' does its basic concept far better. And as relaxing as Nature's Wonderland is, I kinda wanna see a more "wilder ride" in Frontierland's wilderness. Therefore, my choices are Snow White's Scary Adventures (mainly because your ride-through of it is so vividly detailed; one of my favorite ride-throughs of yours!) and Dreamflight (I can't help but love the music!). Besides, I grew up with Disney World, so I'm not all that well-versed on Inner Space's history.

spacemt354

Chili's
As interesting as If You Had Wings is, Soarin' does its basic concept far better. And as relaxing as Nature's Wonderland is, I kinda wanna see a more "wilder ride" in Frontierland's wilderness. Therefore, my choices are Snow White's Scary Adventures (mainly because your ride-through of it is so vividly detailed; one of my favorite ride-throughs of yours!) and Dreamflight (I can't help but love the music!). Besides, I grew up with Disney World, so I'm not all that well-versed on Inner Space's history.
It's basically shrinking to the size of an atom with the Haunted Mansion Ghost host narrating as you do it - which as I say that just sounds amazing :hilarious:

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I can't guarantee how regularly I will be making posts, given my current schedule with Annie, Cabaret, work, and a vacation to New York this August, but I find posting at my leisure to be more enjoyable that rushing to meet a deadline. ;) That being said, enjoy. As always, feedback is an appreciated must!

In addition, I have removed colored font (sans titles) and other hallmarks of the first draft. @spacemt354, I would love for a map of the entire resort to compliment the Magic Kingdom itself once all is said and done. ;) @DisneyManOne, this update is dedicated to you.

This is the final draft, now and forever. Updates are major to minor, mostly major. The Google Doc will follow once every post has been made. If you have followed this project from the start, thank you. If you are new to the project, welcome. Hang on for the ride and push play on the video below.

============================================================================================================

Disney’s Land of Dreams

A Dream Resort
ebkgf7bfwRzKLip43KswVF6XF6RVdDCu9jMI1drwQsKb6xJ3OoTLhGDspRTVe1WvKZepb0VNU7cjUuFAfv135WCcIST4AARG6zHbs9nb5r2uvV2gbvN8jDXPhqqr9pwVzwgk9VOU

“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”
- Harriet Tubman

Inspired by:

A Dream Called Walt Disney World” (1981), DisneyChris.com, ThemeParkTourist.com, Widen Your World, Ideal Build-Out, and Disneyland - The First Thirty Years

The Happiest Legacy on Earth

“If we can borrow some of the concepts of Disneyland and Disney World and Epcot, then indeed the world can be a better place.”
- Ray Bradbury

0ieuTprnjnWKgcMqs95SCGgVzO5Z9wcJFIUjhdghGeBpMNVd5Ae-4W7ghSPUG-Aj3wUNquUL_xyIX5CA5JLs0KHwfKqORmwDDjrNP1l9JW8Ifizh1klOldPtgf65CDKe61urGZu8

Will Jones of the Minneapolis Tribune once wrote of Walt’s Disneyland, “If it’s an amusement park, it’s the gosh-darndest, most happily-inspired, most carefully-planned, most adventure-filled park ever conceived. No ride or concession in it is like anything in any other amusement park anywhere.”

Disneyland was never meant to portray the “county fair” or traditional amusement park that Walt had known too well. Instead, it was to represent a “flight into a dimension beyond the reach of time.” The new concept in entertainment was that of a fabulous playground - a fairytale kingdom, a metropolis of the future, an untamed jungle - it was, “above all,” a place for people to find happiness and knowledge with a universal sense of communication and understanding.

“I don’t want the public to see the world they live in while they’re in Disneyland. I want them to feel like they’re in another world.”
- Walt Disney

“Disneyland really began,” Walt said, “when my two daughters were very young. Saturday was always ‘Daddy’s Day’ and I would take them to the merry-go-round and sit on a bench eating peanuts while they rode. And sitting there, alone, I felt that there should be something built, some kind of a family park where parents and children could have fun together.”

The 20-year dream of Disneyland welcomed its first guests on July 17, 1955. Since then, Walt’s Disneyland has grown into an entire family of parks and resorts - worldwide. Disney’s Land of Dreams has since carried the legacy of the original Magic Kingdom for a new generation of thinkers and dreamers. What once was an orange grove in Anaheim, California has since become the “Happiest Legacy on Earth.”

KLy93uj-65Ue8NDPsr45zQ1OX__ipIz6uQl_Ab5DjJzQAj4yF8xJ4Q3EzFAkmvirEiB0X7E4AT9z0XiIHQNF83l-HNKElOdjCPNVHdeyC41gkLE7D7QfLcUmbI4CMLN9lTvkdiw8

10,000 acres were set aside for this Land of Dreams, a mere 1,500 belonging to the resort’s crown jewel: Disney’s Magic Kingdom. An unprecedented design in theme park immersion, the Magic Kingdom was later named the “World’s Largest Theme Park” by the Guiness Book of World Records. The finished park came in at a size large enough to hold three Epcots, one DisneySea, and one Disneyland - with additional room to grow.

The magic of dreams coming true begins as we explore the ten cardinal realms of the Magic Kingdom:

Hollywood Boulevard
“The ‘Main Street’ of Hollywood’s Golden Age. A fantastic vista into the world of high adventure, beautiful romance, and fairytale magic. This is the ‘Hollywood that never was’ - a tribute to the American Dream - a celebration of Tinseltown, not as a place on a map, but as a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine…”

Liberty Waterfront
“The color and excitement of Manhattan in the Roaring Twenties recollect the story of Prohibition and the Great White Way - the automobile and Cole Porter - Ellis Island and the proud ocean liner. The rhythm of jazz and twinkle of Coney Island hearken to the golden spirit of the American Dream… The City That Never Sleeps.”

Westernland
“The Wild West is reborn in this cinematic portrayal of the American Frontier. The mythos of Pecos Bill and Davy Crockett establish the colorful drama and adventure of the Old West in the exciting days of the covered wagon and stagecoach… Westernland recalls the promise and allure of Manifest Destiny - the music and lore of the Hollywood Western - and, above all, the faith, courage and ingenuity of the pioneers who blazed the trails across America.”

Adventureland
“Here is adventure. Here is romance. Here is mystery. Tropical rivers - silently flowing into the unknown. Windswept tales of danger on the Seven Seas - beasts of a lost, Primeval World… The unbelievable splendor of exotic flowers… The eerie sound of the jungle - with eyes that are always watching… This is Adventureland.”

World Bazaar
“World Bazaar is a celebration of the world’s people; a vibrant collage of culture and intrigue. The travelers of many a tale have once stepped foot in this peculiar marketplace, where the sight of a magic carpet or flying nanny is none too out of the ordinary… World Bazaar is an embrace of the world’s diversity - its people, its stories, and its dreamers.”

Fantasyland
“Here is the world of imagination, hopes and dreams. In this timeless land of enchantment, the age of chivalry, magic and make-believe are reborn - and fairy tales come true. Fantasyland is dedicated to the young and the young-at-heart - to those who believe that when you wish upon a star, your dreams do come true.” - Walt Disney

Discoveryland
“Discoveryland is the future that ‘never was’ - or could be. The past, present and future coexist among the kinetic towers, soaring spacecraft, and alien creatures of this galactic starport. Discoveryland celebrates man’s quest through time to realize his fondest hopes and dreams for the future; here, imagination gives birth to innovation; here, ‘what man can conceive, man can achieve.’”

Mos Eisley Spaceport
“Where you will ‘never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.’ Mos Eisley Spaceport is the crossroads of a Galaxy Far, Far Away… The twin suns of Tatooine set on this desert outpost, where dark cantinas, bizarre creatures, and Imperial Troops lurk around every cove… The vile presence of Jabba the Hutt - the watchful eye of the Galactic Empire - the hope and aspiration of a young farmhand. This is Mos Eisley Spaceport.”

Marvel City
“Where Earth’s Greatest Heroes Live and Protect Mankind. Marvel City is in tribute to the imagination of Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and the countless storytellers of our past and present. The vibrant panels of a comic-book are built in this bold realm of incredible adventure. The glorious mind of Tony Stark has brought mankind to a new tomorrow - where evil forces wait in shadow… This is Marvel City.”

Tomorrowland
“Technology - Transportation - Communication - Health. Tomorrowland is a vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man’s achievements… A step into the future, with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrowland is a living blueprint of our future - a new frontier in science, adventure and ideals. The challenge of outer space, a ‘green’ future, and the hope for a peaceful and unified world…”

Presented here, for your personal enjoyment, is a virtual tour of this would-be Magic Kingdom. I invite you to explore my happy place, where the legacy of Walt carries into a new vision of bold dreams and beautiful wishes all come true. So sit back, relax, and let your imagination run wild… This is Disney’s Land of Dreams…

======================================================================================================

To be continued...

DisneyManOne

I can't guarantee how regularly I will be making posts, given my current schedule with Annie, Cabaret, work, and a vacation to New York this August, but I find posting at my leisure to be more enjoyable that rushing to meet a deadline. ;) That being said, enjoy. As always, feedback is an appreciated must!

In addition, I have removed colored font (sans titles) and other hallmarks of the first draft. @spacemt354, I would love for a map of the entire resort to compliment the Magic Kingdom itself once all is said and done. ;) @DisneyManOne, this update is dedicated to you.

This is the final draft, now and forever. Updates are major to minor, mostly major. The Google Doc will follow once every post has been made. If you have followed this project from the start, thank you. If you are new to the project, welcome. Hang on for the ride and push play on the video below.

============================================================================================================

Disney’s Land of Dreams

A Dream Resort
ebkgf7bfwRzKLip43KswVF6XF6RVdDCu9jMI1drwQsKb6xJ3OoTLhGDspRTVe1WvKZepb0VNU7cjUuFAfv135WCcIST4AARG6zHbs9nb5r2uvV2gbvN8jDXPhqqr9pwVzwgk9VOU

“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”
- Harriet Tubman

Inspired by:

A Dream Called Walt Disney World” (1981), DisneyChris.com, ThemeParkTourist.com, Widen Your World, Ideal Build-Out, and Disneyland - The First Thirty Years

The Happiest Legacy on Earth

“If we can borrow some of the concepts of Disneyland and Disney World and Epcot, then indeed the world can be a better place.”
- Ray Bradbury

0ieuTprnjnWKgcMqs95SCGgVzO5Z9wcJFIUjhdghGeBpMNVd5Ae-4W7ghSPUG-Aj3wUNquUL_xyIX5CA5JLs0KHwfKqORmwDDjrNP1l9JW8Ifizh1klOldPtgf65CDKe61urGZu8

Will Jones of the Minneapolis Tribune once wrote of Walt’s Disneyland, “If it’s an amusement park, it’s the gosh-darndest, most happily-inspired, most carefully-planned, most adventure-filled park ever conceived. No ride or concession in it is like anything in any other amusement park anywhere.”

Disneyland was never meant to portray the “county fair” or traditional amusement park that Walt had known too well. Instead, it was to represent a “flight into a dimension beyond the reach of time.” The new concept in entertainment was that of a fabulous playground - a fairytale kingdom, a metropolis of the future, an untamed jungle - it was, “above all,” a place for people to find happiness and knowledge with a universal sense of communication and understanding.

“I don’t want the public to see the world they live in while they’re in Disneyland. I want them to feel like they’re in another world.”
- Walt Disney

“Disneyland really began,” Walt said, “when my two daughters were very young. Saturday was always ‘Daddy’s Day’ and I would take them to the merry-go-round and sit on a bench eating peanuts while they rode. And sitting there, alone, I felt that there should be something built, some kind of a family park where parents and children could have fun together.”

The 20-year dream of Disneyland welcomed its first guests on July 17, 1955. Since then, Walt’s Disneyland has grown into an entire family of parks and resorts - worldwide. Disney’s Land of Dreams has since carried the legacy of the original Magic Kingdom for a new generation of thinkers and dreamers. What once was an orange grove in Anaheim, California has since become the “Happiest Legacy on Earth.”

KLy93uj-65Ue8NDPsr45zQ1OX__ipIz6uQl_Ab5DjJzQAj4yF8xJ4Q3EzFAkmvirEiB0X7E4AT9z0XiIHQNF83l-HNKElOdjCPNVHdeyC41gkLE7D7QfLcUmbI4CMLN9lTvkdiw8

10,000 acres were set aside for this Land of Dreams, a mere 1,500 belonging to the resort’s crown jewel: Disney’s Magic Kingdom. An unprecedented design in theme park immersion, the Magic Kingdom was later named the “World’s Largest Theme Park” by the Guiness Book of World Records. The finished park came in at a size large enough to hold three Epcots, one DisneySea, and one Disneyland - with additional room to grow.

The magic of dreams coming true begins as we explore the ten cardinal realms of the Magic Kingdom:

Hollywood Boulevard
“The ‘Main Street’ of Hollywood’s Golden Age. A fantastic vista into the world of high adventure, beautiful romance, and fairytale magic. This is the ‘Hollywood that never was’ - a tribute to the American Dream - a celebration of Tinseltown, not as a place on a map, but as a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine…”

Liberty Waterfront
“The color and excitement of Manhattan in the Roaring Twenties recollect the story of Prohibition and the Great White Way - the automobile and Cole Porter - Ellis Island and the proud ocean liner. The rhythm of jazz and twinkle of Coney Island hearken to the golden spirit of the American Dream… The City That Never Sleeps.”

Westernland
“The Wild West is reborn in this cinematic portrayal of the American Frontier. The mythos of Pecos Bill and Davy Crockett establish the colorful drama and adventure of the Old West in the exciting days of the covered wagon and stagecoach… Westernland recalls the promise and allure of Manifest Destiny - the music and lore of the Hollywood Western - and, above all, the faith, courage and ingenuity of the pioneers who blazed the trails across America.”

Adventureland
“Here is adventure. Here is romance. Here is mystery. Tropical rivers - silently flowing into the unknown. Windswept tales of danger on the Seven Seas - beasts of a lost, Primeval World… The unbelievable splendor of exotic flowers… The eerie sound of the jungle - with eyes that are always watching… This is Adventureland.”

World Bazaar
“World Bazaar is a celebration of the world’s people; a vibrant collage of culture and intrigue. The travelers of many a tale have once stepped foot in this peculiar marketplace, where the sight of a magic carpet or flying nanny is none too out of the ordinary… World Bazaar is an embrace of the world’s diversity - its people, its stories, and its dreamers.”

Fantasyland
“Here is the world of imagination, hopes and dreams. In this timeless land of enchantment, the age of chivalry, magic and make-believe are reborn - and fairy tales come true. Fantasyland is dedicated to the young and the young-at-heart - to those who believe that when you wish upon a star, your dreams do come true.” - Walt Disney

Discoveryland
“Discoveryland is the future that ‘never was’ - or could be. The past, present and future coexist among the kinetic towers, soaring spacecraft, and alien creatures of this galactic starport. Discoveryland celebrates man’s quest through time to realize his fondest hopes and dreams for the future; here, imagination gives birth to innovation; here, ‘what man can conceive, man can achieve.’”

Mos Eisley Spaceport
“Where you will ‘never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.’ Mos Eisley Spaceport is the crossroads of a Galaxy Far, Far Away… The twin suns of Tatooine set on this desert outpost, where dark cantinas, bizarre creatures, and Imperial Troops lurk around every cove… The vile presence of Jabba the Hutt - the watchful eye of the Galactic Empire - the hope and aspiration of a young farmhand. This is Mos Eisley Spaceport.”

Marvel City
“Where Earth’s Greatest Heroes Live and Protect Mankind. Marvel City is in tribute to the imagination of Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and the countless storytellers of our past and present. The vibrant panels of a comic-book are built in this bold realm of incredible adventure. The glorious mind of Tony Stark has brought mankind to a new tomorrow - where evil forces wait in shadow… This is Marvel City.”

Tomorrowland
“Technology - Transportation - Communication - Health. Tomorrowland is a vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man’s achievements… A step into the future, with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrowland is a living blueprint of our future - a new frontier in science, adventure and ideals. The challenge of outer space, a ‘green’ future, and the hope for a peaceful and unified world…”

Presented here, for your personal enjoyment, is a virtual tour of this would-be Magic Kingdom. I invite you to explore my happy place, where the legacy of Walt carries into a new vision of bold dreams and beautiful wishes all come true. So sit back, relax, and let your imagination run wild… This is Disney’s Land of Dreams…

======================================================================================================

To be continued...

This is gonna be awesome!!! BTW, who are you playing in Cabaret?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
As always, thoughts are appreciated! Press play on the video below.

This update is dedicated to @mharrington for years of collaboration and armchair Imagineering together.

Disney Plaza

“I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing… That it was all started by a mouse.”
- Walt Disney

Like Disneyland before it, the Land of Dreams was once flat - no rivers, castles, mountains, or forests - a mere 10,000 acres of unkempt land, readied for their magical future. As a designer once recalled of Disneyland, “When we began designing Disneyland, we looked at it just as we do a motion picture. We had to tell a story, or in this case a series of stories. In filmmaking, we develop a logical flow of events or scenes that will take our audience from point to point through a story.” Surely, the Land of Dreams would do the same. From the moment we enter the “theatre,” that is, the front gate, Scene One begins…

Inspired by the unrealized concept for “WESTCot Center” and the Disneyland Resort, Disney’s Land of Dreams is a remarkable design in immersion and focus on the Guest Experience. The idea sought to bring Walt Disney World and Disneyland into the 21st Century; the most complex, fully realized theme park in history, rivaled only by that of Tokyo DisneySea.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls… Good morning, and welcome to Disney’s Land of Dreams. All of us here at the Magic Kingdom are delighted to have you here in honor of the magic, memories and nostalgia that have built this timeless land. Whether this is your first visit or your one-hundredth, we welcome you to our Disney Family. May you enjoy your magical day at this enchanted kingdom.”

“Scene One” is Disney Plaza, where an - our - adventure begins. Here is an accessible, spectacular port of transportation and travel. The air is filled with wonderful music of the Disney Canon. Lush gardens, fountains and trees set an inspired threshold to the Main Gate of our Magic Kingdom. Beyond it, a living showplace of beauty and magic filled with the accomplishments, joys and hopes of the world. North, we find the Magic Kingdom; south, the Parking & Transportation Center; east, the Disney Boardwalk & Hotel District; west, the vacant estate of “Future Development.”

N00b-Q-vxkTqkKZhavTXOxBtJxadu7vREU7eLRO3dQJtC6zAeChp-gH-Z0uEtnqZ32dyHjmDVmuvJvCfIyifEiTGECAMDghS3YZNae9ndRak_OI33qtaXdnGMQk9Wr2rPhE6QSKe

The Monorail and MagicWay PeopleMover provide a simple, sophisticated method for transportation throughout the Land of Dreams. This elevated highway, once thought to be that of science-fiction, can accommodate all guests, sans the few who wish to explore by foot. Hiking trails and a manmade wilderness look to the shores of Fantasy Lagoon, a 100-acre lake near the shore of the Boardwalk District. By day, real beaches and watersports, including fishing, water skiing and parasailing, fill the lake with motion and activity. By night, the lagoon is transformed into a living collage of imagination and wonder in a fantastic World of Color.

o6MiB4hEye6lgV4W2bQNlzRselDt0EL6xdaB2QNqanat-EiIMNCmGJHkKhzYRjEb5Azt7XRlIgJZOPBwSDy8i-Ca12zSGiaSZl65O3tI9Ad2aCXYNwY8P8bsws0wDcld-ydGyV_J

An unforgettable tapestry of color, magic and imagination, World of Color is in tribute to the beloved animation and spirit of the Disney Studio. The romance, friendship and music of the past celebrate the nostalgia and magic of this nighttime extravaganza. As the show’s extraordinary elements are woven into a kaleidoscope of imagination, the spectacle sweeps the surface of Fantasy Lagoon, a “free-to-the-public” spectacular spanning decades of Disney Magic.

2UsGersMdaUN0mBD16DcNsuChyiO6VJmU7AyXRwJsXDHTek8MtszpIdgNMIckwkth2giBPGAEepUI6O6Vd7jGch38KhjEdPwG3Yv0OEPna329G1DIBbY6yQmAajffDU0JOy44oQL

The Disney Boardwalk & Hotel District is an eclectic collage of shopping and dining near the shore of Fantasy Lagoon. Inspired by the village of Lake Arrowhead, California, we find a quiet paradise tucked within the serenity of a secluded wild. As would a real wilderness town, the four seasons are always present; snow in the winter, autumn leaves in the fall.

The Boardwalk District is of an intricate origin, if not inspired by the lost Pleasure Island of Walt Disney World. Meriweather Adam Pleasure, renown oceaneer, founded not just Pleasure Island in Florida, but also the former “Pleasure Mountain Village” we visit today. As the legend goes, each building once held an operation of Pleasure in this “mountaintop” retreat for world travelers. A storied plaque at the entrance to each locale recollect the former use of the hallowed ground.

Pleasure Mountain Village
Founded 1915

A living monument to “the wise fool, the mad visionary, the scoundrel, the scalawag, and the seeker of enjoyment,” Merriweather Adam Pleasure, who discovered Fantasy Lagoon and this lush oasis in the spring of 1915. His success with Pleasure Island of Lake Buena Vista, Florida inspired him to craft a private retreat for his closest comrades. Here they would discuss, discover, and experiment in the exotic, the supernatural and the unexplainable.

Known as the Grand Funmeister, Pleasure vanished during his 1941 circumnavigation of the Antarctic. His daughter, Mary Sue, took over the Mountain Village and its assets. Her management came to an end after an unfortunate run-in with authorities in 1955; thereafter, the Pleasure Mountain Village was abandoned.

In 2018, archaeologists uncovered the site and its remains, and as the same had been done with a rediscovered Pleasure Island in 1987, a large-scale reclamation project into Disney’s Boardwalk & Hotel District had begun. By 2020, the old Mountain Village was reopened and dedicated to the life and legacy of the vanished rapscallion.

“Fun for All, and All for Fun”

Placed here by the Pleasure Mountain Village Historical Society

bsla0WrHZ5n7QjbQSQRPie8BfFZsH-0pPMTAGNObHOYLEAMSb0tKz5FPOX-UHQ8ZqWbHWrUtGnbmgC6BlvAzDhxPi4bLX1YPIgNtUEz6nEDCL9jzJ9L027b3_q4pKHes9L5Y9QcF

The mythical S.E.A. (“Society of Explorers & Adventurers”) is a key inclusion in the Land of Dreams. But alas, we shall explore the restored village on some other adventure. For now, we return our attention toward the “crown jewel.”

The Magic Kingdom

“I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.”

- Walt Disney

In the design of our Magic Kingdom, everything is a form of storytelling. We, the audience, will physically experience one adventure after another, seldom as spectators, but almost always as “participants” in the drama. In contrast to the county fair or carnival known the world over, the Magic Kingdom is a seamless, thematic epic. The harmonic blend of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy act in compliment of the wild animals, alien creatures, and storybook castles beyond the front gate.

“Many of us fondly remember our small hometown and its friendly way of life at the turn of the century. To me, this era represents an important part of our nation’s heritage. On Main Street we have endeavored to recapture those by-gone days.”

“Scene Two” is Hollywood Boulevard, where the vision of an unrealized past is “relived.” Here is the Hollywood of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, a town that once took the heart of a young Walt Disney. The automobile has made way for the Red Car of the Pacific Electric Railway. The shimmer of neon and bustle of traffic have built a fairy-land from a suitcase and a dream, “where any office boy or young mechanic can be a panic, with just a goodlooking pan.”

“Many will fondly ‘remember’ the illusion of a Hollywood that ‘never was.’ A bustling, young movie town at the height of its Golden Age. This romanticized vision of the past is an endeavor to recapture the excitement and dreams of a Tinseltown as it appeared a near-century ago.”

eGvsaNQebs_tzkPRDNIwhFyj2bbpowqXZwpxmezNQC5bzJiTltUSsKx4lPrpZZ5aslLmtzQnfEMWwg5_HpwJHHeUcxufxZCvyXy-KCZMoKsZV5HVi9aWRd5SiuvzuZSSSjRwjXpr

Walt’s lifelong love of the railroad has once more carried into a Disney Park. Once through the ornate turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom - fashioned to resemble the Pan-Pacific Auditorium of Los Angeles - we glimpse the sight of a storied train station. The beauty and grandeur of steam travel is captured in the romance and excitement of the Kingdom Railway, a Grand-Circle Tour of the Magic Kingdom.

From aboard the Kingdom Railway, we view the many sights and sounds along the rails - an ancient jungle, a metropolis of tomorrow, an active volcano - the untamed frontier of the American West transitions into a scenic journey ‘cross the rim of the Grand Canyon.

A spectacular glimpse of one of the world’s longest dioramas, the Grand Canyon is a panoramic re-creation of the flora and fauna of Arizona’s “Great Abyss.” To Ferde Grofé’s “Grand Canyon Suite,” curious wildlife examine our train in hesitant caution. A freak thunderstorm brings a brilliant light to the promise of a vibrant rainbow, all while a flock of mountain goat proudly look on…

7ImW3Do9QcScuEhNn3tT0434n-F3_WCA84HwXXxUEmZhrY58Rh9RiC-rHi2PlxC0u3nQlpP5CZspXyIds5LllgyTHuUy81CsTc-PcLSatF-z88SgOCz_4whmWYRit4mucT-MPHK7

From the Main Gate, we pass through one of two tunnels on either side of a Mickey Floral. A bronze plaque above either tunnel read a familiar sentiment:

“HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY
AND ENTER THE WORLD
OF YESTERDAY, TOMORROW
AND FANTASY”

An iconic attribute to any Magic Kingdom, electronic posters line the walls of either tunnel, each interchanging to offer a taste of the coming attractions and adventures. One unique detail, however, is that each poster features a simple animation; i.e. Dumbo actually appears to fly.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster

Hollywood Boulevard

“It was July 1923. I packed all of my worldly goods - a pair of trousers, a checkered coat, a lot of drawing materials and the last of the fairy tale reels we had made - in a kind of frayed cardboard suitcase. And with that wonderful audacity of youth, I went to Hollywood, arriving there with just forty dollars. It was a big day I got on that Santa Fe California Limited. I was just free and happy!” - Walt Disney

This is the Hollywood of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Here, in the year 1937, the stress of our contemporary life fades for a glimpse into a warm embodiment of the “Hollywood that Never Was.” On one hand is the Chamber of Commerce, on the other, a lavish movie house. The marching band appears in full regalia. The shimmer of neon and triumph of a dream set our stage for this reverent tribute to the romance, glamour and sentimentality of the silver screen.

FpTSZY_uz1oGMNJCtAI2NlCPiwzD-NObQfakIs4guM5JRvFNJLOCynLDD__1GlbUs9aBX3mG6VLyE-ppb08pYgvLrOG3R19sWMvS0mbrfdy5DRrJYZgCL6HZZndb-gssjeDiAMgq

“Hooray for Hollywood
That screwy, ballyhooly Hollywood!”

In the vision of a since-defunct dream for the former Disney*MGM Studio in Florida, Hollywood Boulevard is so dedicated in the spirit and fantasy of the Hollywood Dream. As Michael Eisner once dedicated the Studio, “The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood - not a place on the map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was - and always will be.”

Hollywood Boulevard is anchored in the remarkable aspiration of a young man who left Kansas City for Los Angeles with big dreams - and little money. His ideas, drive and determination would one day change the world. That man was Walt Disney. “Storytellers” recalls the moment in which a young Walt and Mickey first laid foot in the City of Angels. The tribute of bronze and plaster has hidden itself among the foot-traffic of Town Square, a subtle reminder that Walt was once such an everyday dreamer as ourselves.

76eKPx-H8liNm_6X_Bm3b3eKW62kFwdl0ZdHaltRu4Pbv9KUGJlv2wv4CQePNtYQFG25Xod9d_rg7ZgZY2POfkLnZtIUcs2P8s8Y2BwLZlPn-EFhMe45Pa93LohAC69BmK-yArD_

In the principle of Main Street, U.S.A., Hollywood Boulevard is a sparkling thoroughfare presented in the style and architecture of one historic Hollywood building after the next. The Art Deco and Mission Revival architecture instill in us a sense of familiarity with a hint of intrigue. The reality of the Great Depression has subdued into the color and excitement of a cinematic Tinseltown. Town Square, like Main Street before it, is the civic hub of transportation and gathering. At the base of the flagpole in the center of the square, a bronze plaque reads the Magic Kingdom’s dedication, delivered on July 17, 2020.

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Today, the spirit of Walt Disney and his Disneyland continue into the hope and aspiration for Disney’s Land of Dreams. In this enchanted realm of yesterday and tomorrow, fantasy and adventure, we relive the nostalgia and innocence of a childhood dream. The Magic Kingdom is dedicated in honor of the young and the young-at-heart, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

The historic Carthay Circle Theatre once held the premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. This detailed re-creation of the now-defunct movie house is a true testament to the glamour and romance of the Golden Age. Inside, a number of scale models, statuettes and artwork hearken to the man behind the mouse, a prelude to the showcase of Just One Dream: The Walt Disney Story. In this multimedia salute to the beloved American icon, rare footage, archived illustration and Audio-Animatronic figures recall such moments as the premiere of Steamboat Willie to the Grand Opening of Disneyland, U.S.A. Just upstairs, the Disney Gallery acts in presentation of the artwork and design of Walt Disney Imagineering and Animation. Artifacts - rare, acquired, or otherwise - from decades of magic are displayed, such as the always impressive Toy Story “Zoetrope.”

r-U3ZndMmrmFc8bmAborOY5IN6mIryvsnJZI7xSBJQI-Ibj8Kx8SWkBfc-mA0GD_tGLTVbJ8NVlms8I7gL9K3kPSYft_SO8pUz7ZaSadWAbYYVsphiTZjavOuK9C1tao-R-8YNRY

In Town Square, we find the storied relic of the Chamber of Commerce, with its aged clock tower and proud dedication to Guest Relations. The Police & Fire Station hold a “picturesque” jailhouse and antique fire engine; the Keystone Co., a madcap band of merry policemen, play the music of Benny Goodman and Louis Prima, often near the battered jail cell. Luggage dollies and baggage mounds addressed to names both famous and infamous mark the entrance to the Town Square Lockers, neighbored closely by the Child Care Center and First Aid Station.

hArmcHYXTKtLOTzo1r0RrsUm6s1cSdqVPks4nt05NVQoY-A1uFoceUO5auvdGdgupiILJKA-9quyi25VUd1IsirQZEYBGsnqIoFxMXsE4HqvA19Kc1vKnDbqOGL_N4PMhysYfasO

The historic Red Car of the Pacific Electric Railway criss-crossed Los Angeles from 1887 to 1961, when the advanced network made way for the advent of the automobile. Today, the Red Car Trolley of our Magic Kingdom is of one and the same purpose - efficient travel. With four convenient stops - Town Square, Sunset Boulevard, Central Plaza, and Toontown - the Red Car is in tribute to the bygone memory of a yesteryear Los Angeles, similar to the sights and smells of Philippe's, an L.A. original.

XLuAKcj-2rLUM1H-lYv2Uv0FYcAu2CPC1kGd4Uh3Ks921mB6HcOUGlsImXHpkVK9gWztM5U6lIUMOwigW7-kjoefD1pdSFUGM86WzPFdAwOiGLw72Z_9RbyInTlg9fhLQaTCA7eS

“Home of the Original French Dipped Sandwich,” specialties of the house include roast beef, pork, turkey, ham, or leg of lamb. Coleslaw, pickles, macaroni salads, pickled eggs, olives and peppers compliment the varied deli meats. This near-exact replica of the real-world location has been built to the minute detail; sawdust on the floor, neon in the signage, and “Carvers” at the counter.

DHXDJgPofEhsOCJql0HofgU6L4p1zaqhwF7Rfm7wedr1b0ei5Jbqf1ZktTe27C39kNeSjE_m44APBQ4dn_Gckm0c0wdacQdB6qzYJAuTRTkA1HinH22nx8wgw6tHyL9ZQ7Z8wYw6

Bright light and the crackle of a phonograph welcome us to Oswald’s Filling Station. There always seems to be a ‘40 Pontiac Torpedo Coupe out front. Oswald’s is decked “ear-to-toe” in memorabilia of American Car Culture, with the inventory following suit. Oswald himself often frequents the station in full mechanic attire, a rabbit-shaped wrench at hand. As with Oswald, in Town Square we can “rub elbows” with the Disney stars of celluloid - including Mickey, Minnie, or Goofy - dressed in their Hollywood finest.

Like the real-world Hollywood, Hollywood Boulevard is populated with “real,” believable people. The so called Citizens of Hollywood Boulevard walk the street in stride, a living snapshot of the optimism, humor and pride of the Hollywood Dream. On the “Sunny Side of the Street,” the musical Five & Dime arrive in Town Square in their ramshackle jalopy. Led by the voice of “Dime,” the band has traveled down Route 66 from Chicago in the hope of making it big in Tinseltown. The Keystone Co. and Magic Kingdom Philharmonic march down the thoroughfare and into Town Square, readied for an energetic routine of synchronized marching and Disney favorites.

PdxlvE2IxekLkP6TbTgYSYsuDP4RhwH-GfAHyvqgtSKsZJlzd-UmnScDrqJxW5Hn1Wp9kgEP-2_2xHuC2XcpNX0nFmtufpCtCYRLVXFm6ThfCOhfL2o68eXbJe_fHiUZai2FY2xV

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
This post is dedicated for @spacemt354, who so flawlessly designed the original map of this Magic Kingdom. As you can see, there are quite a few differences in this version of Hollywood Boulevard than the last. I can't wait to see what Space might design for this final version of the map!

Pay close attention, everyone! As always, written feedback is most appreciated! Tell your friends! Spread the word! Advertise this!

Like Walt’s Main Street, the ground floor buildings of Hollywood Boulevard are built on a 9/10 scale, with the second and third stories progressively smaller - forced perspective at work. Unlike the real equivalent, the Hollywood of our Magic Kingdom is to always remain fresh and new. This is what the real Hollywood should be like…

jlEp7hpyYs-iYBSaiMkNZ7yNTViKwajwcRnFcqtbqgyP_TgmPX04fMLsJbWVcyFNPyYGwFYV2PB2fWMp9D2q2h_E2UFtxq6JvnG4w6OFJdK1UwvcH7gDk2B3DhTIH_ULgnU2JEGU

Hollywood Boulevard is anchored by the lavish Hollywoodland Department Store, the largest mercantile in the entire park. The sprawling, two-level emporium evokes the grandeur of a yesteryear Macy’s, with wooden escalators, crystal-chandeliers and sweeping rotundas in presentation of the goods and wares of a childhood dream. Per tradition, the storefront windows portray vignettes of the Disney Canon: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, and The Jungle Book.

Tin Soldiers mark the entrance of Tom’s Toyland, a small fraction of the Department Store. Baby Mine, represented by a Miss Jumbo and her Dumbo, is for the youngest of park visitors. Tinseltown Clothiers, Ltd., the largest wardrobe in town, completes the Department Store. Rumor claims that a certain Harry Houdini once visited the Magic Shop found opposite the Department Store, where to this day, his rumored straight jacket and handcuffs are on display. The large camera on the exterior indicates The Darkroom as our one-stop shop for film, cameras, memory cards, and in-park photo development. A skilled Glass Blower creates “Neon Art” for patrons of Claude’s Neon, a shop named for its eccentric owner, Claude Neon.

Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind is a colorful selection in antique clocks, vintage arcade cabinets, restored movie props, signed headshots, period toys, and other treasures of the past. The Tinseltown Arcade has a number of restored arcade games: two-player basketball, mechanical fortune tellers, pinball machines, photo booths, and nickelodeon’s. But the real adventure is found next door in the Sunset Cinema

CfGCDSJwLyIxpS-Dx-9mcisjlLkgIt-MY38YLVwJ_D9WTa77U8Rww2LN2u3e9E0X8Dr6hPJ8RYVkOagePAbZFlbFdR6APdkBJ_Nkm_qTYJIZ_11S3J3BNQZoWjZ22zjZZWZ2mOMg

The chaotic music of the silent era is heard as we approach the box office of an old-fashioned movie house. Inside, an “in-the-round” presentation of classic Disney shorts and silent films of Chaplin and Keaton prelude an extraordinary journey into the world of film: CineMagic. From the charm of the silent era to the modern blockbuster, Martin Short and Julie Delpy star in a romantic, remastered, English-language version of the now-lost treasure of Walt Disney Studios, Paris. From one moment to the next, such featured films include Mary Poppins, Titanic, and Star Wars, all concluding in a waltz down the Yellow Brick Road.

Throughout the Magic Kingdom, the air is filled with song. The background music heard in Hollywood Boulevard is a collection of classic, orchestral songs authentic to the Golden Age; “Tara’s Theme” of Gone with the Wind, “Over the Rainbow” of The Wizard of Oz. Each window in town bears reference to the vendor who “owns” the business inside, each in honor of the people who have contributed to the development and construction of the Magic Kingdom.

4eyw6Rh4VOgBXZWFOrQ6kyTtGO_3N8GCf0ry4Sh-SBIfu_qUnH4hk65jEc8naHfG1c2q4rQ5yksdqlZRiiNk0HhryB-eyn-Yd-buPndix_CTd7o171oTamwVzjYvNYTl7UidIzM7

Sunset Boulevard runs perpendicular to Hollywood Boulevard, marked by an overhead traffic light and tangle of trolley cable. Sunset Boulevard is our direct entrance into either “sub-land” of Hollywood Boulevard; Toontown to the west, Gracey Square to the east. Perhaps in reference of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the Red Car does travel through Toontown. Gracey Square, on the other hand, does not welcome such transportation. Locals claim the Red Car never laid track in the abandoned cul-de-sac, reportedly the result of “supernatural activity.” But that’s all superstition, I suppose…

Qb6IOSjIVPB7xV71jQcZDq6P4LNp5eMFOVagE9ag7i2mP4G_Isa8XsU-jmbX4AhJIauGDl84gISu7z4nEhBYlaxTHP4-Ew2HDbvZSZAY03Xn9Pb_mDHHEChn6cZPWFp-54CPmcqC

The Sunset Marketplace is in re-creation of a bygone supermarket; colored signs and ceiling-high piles of cannery fill the market, where yes, actual groceries are sold. The Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café is a charming selection of dining options and bakery items, the in-park home of Starbucks Coffee. The “Silver Lake Sisters” - Dottie, Dolly and Ethel - once inspired The Three Little Pigs (1933). Now, in 1937, the three sisters have opened a coffee shop laden with the memorabilia of a decade in the limelight.

The Terminal Bar of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is often rattled by the passing Red Car. Eddie Valiant’s girlfriend, Dolores runs the dive bar, known for their signature cocktails sold on an all-day “Happy Hour.” The office of Valiant & Valiant is found nearby, as with the apartment of Baby Herman, though both sit inaccessible to us - and weasels… The Red Car makes its second in four scheduled stops outside the Terminal Bar, right near the Pacific Electric Depot, a clever facade for…

hsUWCIxPRWzv6j54Oca6AVUPtvoHTDZtJRlb5Dj_scrTdJTx5z6_SdANuDT-OGs8KOcVCwk-3Qr2gwsBkvjOyZDR2ZF-bGFsVTFcgzsZWWk224S2lZp1CH_sGTeu3vnycAPJKFn2

Disney Animation. In appropriate transition from Sunset Boulevard to Toontown, Disney Animation is our firsthand glimpse into the secret world of the Walt Disney Animation Studio. Inside the Animation Courtyard, a number of gargantuan screens convey the clips, stills and sketches of the Disney and Pixar Canon. This indoor courtyard is our “hub” for the varied wings of the sprawling exhibition, including:

The Animation Academy
In this magical classroom, learn to draw a beloved Disney Character with a hands-on lesson from a Disney Artist.

Sorcerer’s Workshop
In the dark lair of Yen Sid, we explore the development of appearance, personality and voice in a Disney Character. The Magic Mirror Realm is a course in simple animation. The wise, talking portrait of Yen Sid guides our path into Ursula’s Grotto, the eerie abode of the Sea Witch. Here, “movie pods” offer a chance to sing or act in a famous animated scene. The pod will then play back the scene with your voice… The Beast’s Library lets us get in touch with our “Disney Self” in the glorious library of Prince Adam. Lumiere and Cogsworth host a humorous quiz to discover what Disney Character we most represent.

Back to Neverland
In honor of the late Robin Williams, the wonderful “Back to Neverland” still plays in a reverent tribute to hand-drawn animation. In the film, Robin is transformed into a Lost Boy of Neverland, caught in conflict with Captain Hook. Back Again to Neverland is an immediate sequel; Josh Gad is introduced to computer animation, more specifically a prequel to “Peter Pan.” Unlike the first film, “Back Again” features a musical number, performed by an animated Mr. Gad himself.

fzrKfGttKZHrJYEPAyMMdDoGexHJntHOjY6Onb7EiSz4IYI6wDRa3miWUv3vk8ANTr8RJOyt1pOgGwM_laX6_fG_IMOgKPSDawPLshUIXAYdR4tr4_-YtweT4064QHMOX4EIo7bt

Jim Henson’s Muppet Workshop
Unique to the Land of Dreams, the Muppet Workshop focuses on a different method of animation: Puppetry. An exhibition of actual Muppets leads to a demonstration held to the backdrop of a bizarre factory, complete with sentient machinery and architecture. Here we can build our own Muppet Whatnot from various parts, with one-on-one tips from trained Muppeteers. The enormous Muppet-Tron 5000 overlooks the workshop, playing classic clips and skits of “The Muppet Show.”

Exhibition Hall
The lavish Exhibition Hall is to hold a number of traveling exhibits and touring performance groups. Such past exhibits include “The World of Tim Burton” and “Art of Pixar.”

EiA-cXaNxZCTcbwnpNWARQ2MOQNmQlSS2Znz3kBjwQMTErNEgVSX_XX7E8nmfpglMD3Jjc4nRR3qHvUlfvduIcB0k8jAqd19oNKk34ajx_4k2X5pGTHb0AndrTGbibhpH8c8-87Z

Back in town, a secret panel leads to the opulent foyer of the Ink & Paint Club. The host motions us toward a “larger than life” portrait of Marvin Acme, the so called “Gag King.” Even so, the rose etched on his breast pocket squirts water straight from the canvas. Suddenly, the entire wall begins to move and we are thrust into the smokey nightclub, with Jazz blaring and cigarette girls roaming the room. A large octopus is our bartender, while the penguins of Mary Poppins hustle as the frantic waitstaff. Corks are popping and dinner is served. Donald and Daffy - on loan from Warner Bros. - gleefully tickle the ivories in their famous “Dueling Pianos.” Of course, the performance often goes awry - or ablaze - and human entertainment takes the spotlight.

6RTi_zTur4rJfiCgf8MUkeNW3pn66ZSjt9dNbOe8YwXuR2lZAZwfxlvMHHIPmAbLUCUI-TmgA9K8aWcT-VAD6hxkhG7PICc9QjEgs_n9ZFDMQVsLQfglBJJgF-UbubwydPxDCf8l

In the symphony of Hollywood Boulevard, the colored shelves, chocolate fountains and Welte Orchestrion of the Candy Castle add another nostalgic note. The Tara Ice Cream Parlour recalls the lavish estate of Gone with the Wind, as complete with film memorabilia, preserved props, and stills of the American classic. Specialty sundaes, ice cream sodas and triple scoop cones abound. The Wonderland Music Store is unique in its display of phonographs, radios, grand pianos, and brass horns. Plaster mushrooms, faux flowers and porcelain dolls hearken to the 1951 classic Alice in Wonderland. The music of a restored, antique player piano carries into The Mad Hatter, a “rabbit hole” of hats and headgear, namely the famous “MousekeEars.” The Fortuosity Shop is a wonderland all its own; crystal bric-a-brac, china porcelain, fine jewelry, music boxes, and more, fill the shelves of the self-proclaimed “Most Breakable Store in Hollywood.”

Holiday Hamlet is a year-round treasure trove of holiday fun. Halloween, Christmas and Easter are in eternal celebration in this cozy emporium of plastic blow molds, twinkling trees, colored eggs, and miniature towns of the Halloween and Christmas Season. The storefront window looks into a miniature, handmade re-creation of Hollywood Boulevard, built to the smallest detail. Every December, Santa Claus himself visits Holiday Hamlet to share in the season with the children of the world. Walt’s Hobbies is of the same childlike wonder and optimism of Walt himself. Model trains, dollhouse accessories, miniature planes and books stock the well overstocked shelves and displays.

B66IXa-8BeEJ8p864Fy5wVy1dXNesE7DgYnr_s8ziNvQlBtTvZ3EFJ5ivxw2F-YUsy4XFNs-6etJzlWoJoP6x16sK4EQJVNatfzD7gQVgf12Y9JywZV1l0dvshQ0G4jobjJTrsdD

Last, but certainly not least, we find our answer to the elusive Club 33: The 20th Century Limited. The unsuspecting, seemingly empty facade of a drugstore subdues into the sweeping interior of a “deco” train station, where an eternal sunlight pours through a domed ceiling. “Members Only,” we are invited to dine aboard the legendary train of yore, taken on a simulated journey cross the Great Southwest - via “window animation.” The bold and diverse flavors of Southern California carry into the kitchen of the dining car, where a five-star meal by candlelight is all the rage. Private banquets and executive meetings frequent the exclusive club.

hUfKJ0DQaRpNjIHqnt1vJ6YA87ue__lRtlZKXBoTvM0jNoFX2VTCh-4H9yOOQY8yV8VJXHhGbSL5k4MfuyOL9alTNJ-6AhlYSw8wWGJOo1js0YBHRQRhd4SyDQ_kYVO7eomN1e8Z

As we near the end of Hollywood Boulevard and enter the Central Plaza, we find, on either end, an “E-Ticket” attraction in representation of the Hollywood Dream. On one end, The Great Movie Ride, on the other, well - we’ll get to that later.

“A Spectacular Journey Into the Movies
A Cast of Thousands! A Sweeping Spectacle of Thrills! Chills! Romance!”

The Great Movie Ride is held in a lifesize replica of the Grauman Chinese Theatre. Built to celebrate the lost mission statement of Disney*MGM Studios, we enter the lavish movie palace and into a lobby filled with iconic props and posters of the silver screen; Dorothy’s Ruby Slippers, the Ark of the Covenant, Mary Poppins’ umbrella. An inspired collection of trailers and scenes of classic cinema lead to a soundstage held beneath the Hollywoodland Sign at twilight. Here we board a “traveling theater” for a guided, immersive tour through the world of cinematic history.

The Great Movie Ride employs the use of Audio-Animatronic figures, practical sets, live actors, projections and special effects in a 25-minute experience. Along the way, we pass screen legends in their most iconic roles; a tableau of film in a timeless snapshot, from one movie to the next. The finale, of course, brings all the films together in a moving montage of what else, but great movies… Such featured films include Citizen Kane, Godzilla, Singin’ in the Rain, and The Wizard of Oz. This is the signature attraction of Hollywood Boulevard.

JiCy6rYvFvOXuYFnLdJItXzLxaDmZQQ-V8XxDMPaM44lilHrct4ZiKJGiw8Jb39uuYRKw1CUcLaqknM6tCsMpEyXqOeK7TDpAcQkwJj4n8SmlTFHDoGDV2HPEzlv_b9bZ4IeAhjI

Meanwhile, on the other side of the street, the impressive facade of the Muppet Theatre - complete with large statues of Animal “supporting” the weight of the building - holds an adventure in direct parody of Hollywood Boulevard’s signature attraction. Peculiar gardens, sentient trees and a hot-air balloon in the likeness of Kermit the Frog welcome us to the threshold of The Great Muppet Movie Ride.

In this wonderful, misguided tour of movie history, we are treated to a backstage tour of how movies are made - only, all the information is wrong. Aboard a studio golf cart - according to Scooter, budget cuts prohibited the use of a “fancy, traveling theater” - Director Gonzo gives us a glimpse into Muppet takes on classic Hollywood. In Beakenstein, a 10-foot Beaker is painfully reanimated by an evil Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. In Peter Pan, Tinkerbell (Miss Piggy) has lost control of her harness and destroyed the cheap backdrop of moonlit London. Naturally, Statler and Waldorf join the show, shamelessly trolling the attraction. “Hey, Statler?” “Yeah, Waldorf?” “I think it’s real swell that Disney finally gave the Muppets their own ride. I’m real happy to be here.” “Why do you say that, you old fool?” “Because the Mouse is always listening… Always listening.” The two shudder to the ethereal chuckle of Mickey Mouse…

Chickens squawk and explosions echo as we approach the Swedish Chef’s Pandemonium Pizza Parlor. Inspired by the dive pizza joints of Manhattan, the music and mayhem inside set the stage for the familiar warbles of the Swedish Chef, locked in eternal combat with a flock of chickens. The living, breathing pizza oven often has a chat with patrons, belching smoke to no remorse. Rats scurry past in the shadow, busily handling ingredients. Autographed headshots and Muppet memorabilia line the walls, overshadowed only by the crashed biplane of the Great Gonzo, narrowly teetering through a hole in the ceiling. The menu is written in both Swedish and English. Though the Swedish is more bizarre gibberish than actual Swedish...

Next, we will explore Toontown and Gracey Square, the two major sub-lands of Hollywood Boulevard! The next post is guaranteed to be a controversial one... As to why... Stay tuned!

DisneyManOne

This post is dedicated for @spacemt354, who so flawlessly designed the original map of this Magic Kingdom. As you can see, there are quite a few differences in this version of Hollywood Boulevard than the last. I can't wait to see what Space might design for this final version of the map!

Pay close attention, everyone! As always, written feedback is most appreciated! Tell your friends! Spread the word! Advertise this!

Like Walt’s Main Street, the ground floor buildings of Hollywood Boulevard are built on a 9/10 scale, with the second and third stories progressively smaller - forced perspective at work. Unlike the real equivalent, the Hollywood of our Magic Kingdom is to always remain fresh and new. This is what the real Hollywood should be like…

jlEp7hpyYs-iYBSaiMkNZ7yNTViKwajwcRnFcqtbqgyP_TgmPX04fMLsJbWVcyFNPyYGwFYV2PB2fWMp9D2q2h_E2UFtxq6JvnG4w6OFJdK1UwvcH7gDk2B3DhTIH_ULgnU2JEGU

Hollywood Boulevard is anchored by the lavish Hollywoodland Department Store, the largest mercantile in the entire park. The sprawling, two-level emporium evokes the grandeur of a yesteryear Macy’s, with wooden escalators, crystal-chandeliers and sweeping rotundas in presentation of the goods and wares of a childhood dream. Per tradition, the storefront windows portray vignettes of the Disney Canon: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, and The Jungle Book.

Tin Soldiers mark the entrance of Tom’s Toyland, a small fraction of the Department Store. Baby Mine, represented by a Miss Jumbo and her Dumbo, is for the youngest of park visitors. Tinseltown Clothiers, Ltd., the largest wardrobe in town, completes the Department Store. Rumor claims that a certain Harry Houdini once visited the Magic Shop found opposite the Department Store, where to this day, his rumored straight jacket and handcuffs are on display. The large camera on the exterior indicates The Darkroom as our one-stop shop for film, cameras, memory cards, and in-park photo development. A skilled Glass Blower creates “Neon Art” for patrons of Claude’s Neon, a shop named for its eccentric owner, Claude Neon.

Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind is a colorful selection in antique clocks, vintage arcade cabinets, restored movie props, signed headshots, period toys, and other treasures of the past. The Tinseltown Arcade has a number of restored arcade games: two-player basketball, mechanical fortune tellers, pinball machines, photo booths, and nickelodeon’s. But the real adventure is found next door in the Sunset Cinema

CfGCDSJwLyIxpS-Dx-9mcisjlLkgIt-MY38YLVwJ_D9WTa77U8Rww2LN2u3e9E0X8Dr6hPJ8RYVkOagePAbZFlbFdR6APdkBJ_Nkm_qTYJIZ_11S3J3BNQZoWjZ22zjZZWZ2mOMg

The chaotic music of the silent era is heard as we approach the box office of an old-fashioned movie house. Inside, an “in-the-round” presentation of classic Disney shorts and silent films of Chaplin and Keaton prelude an extraordinary journey into the world of film: CineMagic. From the charm of the silent era to the modern blockbuster, Martin Short and Julie Delpy star in a romantic, remastered, English-language version of the now-lost treasure of Walt Disney Studios, Paris. From one moment to the next, such featured films include Mary Poppins, Titanic, and Star Wars, all concluding in a waltz down the Yellow Brick Road.

Throughout the Magic Kingdom, the air is filled with song. The background music heard in Hollywood Boulevard is a collection of classic, orchestral songs authentic to the Golden Age; “Tara’s Theme” of Gone with the Wind, “Over the Rainbow” of The Wizard of Oz. Each window in town bears reference to the vendor who “owns” the business inside, each in honor of the people who have contributed to the development and construction of the Magic Kingdom.

4eyw6Rh4VOgBXZWFOrQ6kyTtGO_3N8GCf0ry4Sh-SBIfu_qUnH4hk65jEc8naHfG1c2q4rQ5yksdqlZRiiNk0HhryB-eyn-Yd-buPndix_CTd7o171oTamwVzjYvNYTl7UidIzM7

Sunset Boulevard runs perpendicular to Hollywood Boulevard, marked by an overhead traffic light and tangle of trolley cable. Sunset Boulevard is our direct entrance into either “sub-land” of Hollywood Boulevard; Toontown to the west, Gracey Square to the east. Perhaps in reference of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the Red Car does travel through Toontown. Gracey Square, on the other hand, does not welcome such transportation. Locals claim the Red Car never laid track in the abandoned cul-de-sac, reportedly the result of “supernatural activity.” But that’s all superstition, I suppose…

Qb6IOSjIVPB7xV71jQcZDq6P4LNp5eMFOVagE9ag7i2mP4G_Isa8XsU-jmbX4AhJIauGDl84gISu7z4nEhBYlaxTHP4-Ew2HDbvZSZAY03Xn9Pb_mDHHEChn6cZPWFp-54CPmcqC

The Sunset Marketplace is in re-creation of a bygone supermarket; colored signs and ceiling-high piles of cannery fill the market, where yes, actual groceries are sold. The Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café is a charming selection of dining options and bakery items, the in-park home of Starbucks Coffee. The “Silver Lake Sisters” - Dottie, Dolly and Ethel - once inspired The Three Little Pigs (1933). Now, in 1937, the three sisters have opened a coffee shop laden with the memorabilia of a decade in the limelight.

The Terminal Bar of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is often rattled by the passing Red Car. Eddie Valiant’s girlfriend, Dolores runs the dive bar, known for their signature cocktails sold on an all-day “Happy Hour.” The office of Valiant & Valiant is found nearby, as with the apartment of Baby Herman, though both sit inaccessible to us - and weasels… The Red Car makes its second in four scheduled stops outside the Terminal Bar, right near the Pacific Electric Depot, a clever facade for…

hsUWCIxPRWzv6j54Oca6AVUPtvoHTDZtJRlb5Dj_scrTdJTx5z6_SdANuDT-OGs8KOcVCwk-3Qr2gwsBkvjOyZDR2ZF-bGFsVTFcgzsZWWk224S2lZp1CH_sGTeu3vnycAPJKFn2

Disney Animation. In appropriate transition from Sunset Boulevard to Toontown, Disney Animation is our firsthand glimpse into the secret world of the Walt Disney Animation Studio. Inside the Animation Courtyard, a number of gargantuan screens convey the clips, stills and sketches of the Disney and Pixar Canon. This indoor courtyard is our “hub” for the varied wings of the sprawling exhibition, including:

The Animation Academy
In this magical classroom, learn to draw a beloved Disney Character with a hands-on lesson from a Disney Artist.

Sorcerer’s Workshop
In the dark lair of Yen Sid, we explore the development of appearance, personality and voice in a Disney Character. The Magic Mirror Realm is a course in simple animation. The wise, talking portrait of Yen Sid guides our path into Ursula’s Grotto, the eerie abode of the Sea Witch. Here, “movie pods” offer a chance to sing or act in a famous animated scene. The pod will then play back the scene with your voice… The Beast’s Library lets us get in touch with our “Disney Self” in the glorious library of Prince Adam. Lumiere and Cogsworth host a humorous quiz to discover what Disney Character we most represent.

Back to Neverland
In honor of the late Robin Williams, the wonderful “Back to Neverland” still plays in a reverent tribute to hand-drawn animation. In the film, Robin is transformed into a Lost Boy of Neverland, caught in conflict with Captain Hook. Back Again to Neverland is an immediate sequel; Josh Gad is introduced to computer animation, more specifically a prequel to “Peter Pan.” Unlike the first film, “Back Again” features a musical number, performed by an animated Mr. Gad himself.

fzrKfGttKZHrJYEPAyMMdDoGexHJntHOjY6Onb7EiSz4IYI6wDRa3miWUv3vk8ANTr8RJOyt1pOgGwM_laX6_fG_IMOgKPSDawPLshUIXAYdR4tr4_-YtweT4064QHMOX4EIo7bt

Jim Henson’s Muppet Workshop
Unique to the Land of Dreams, the Muppet Workshop focuses on a different method of animation: Puppetry. An exhibition of actual Muppets leads to a demonstration held to the backdrop of a bizarre factory, complete with sentient machinery and architecture. Here we can build our own Muppet Whatnot from various parts, with one-on-one tips from trained Muppeteers. The enormous Muppet-Tron 5000 overlooks the workshop, playing classic clips and skits of “The Muppet Show.”

Exhibition Hall
The lavish Exhibition Hall is to hold a number of traveling exhibits and touring performance groups. Such past exhibits include “The World of Tim Burton” and “Art of Pixar.”

EiA-cXaNxZCTcbwnpNWARQ2MOQNmQlSS2Znz3kBjwQMTErNEgVSX_XX7E8nmfpglMD3Jjc4nRR3qHvUlfvduIcB0k8jAqd19oNKk34ajx_4k2X5pGTHb0AndrTGbibhpH8c8-87Z

Back in town, a secret panel leads to the opulent foyer of the Ink & Paint Club. The host motions us toward a “larger than life” portrait of Marvin Acme, the so called “Gag King.” Even so, the rose etched on his breast pocket squirts water straight from the canvas. Suddenly, the entire wall begins to move and we are thrust into the smokey nightclub, with Jazz blaring and cigarette girls roaming the room. A large octopus is our bartender, while the penguins of Mary Poppins hustle as the frantic waitstaff. Corks are popping and dinner is served. Donald and Daffy - on loan from Warner Bros. - gleefully tickle the ivories in their famous “Dueling Pianos.” Of course, the performance often goes awry - or ablaze - and human entertainment takes the spotlight.

6RTi_zTur4rJfiCgf8MUkeNW3pn66ZSjt9dNbOe8YwXuR2lZAZwfxlvMHHIPmAbLUCUI-TmgA9K8aWcT-VAD6hxkhG7PICc9QjEgs_n9ZFDMQVsLQfglBJJgF-UbubwydPxDCf8l

In the symphony of Hollywood Boulevard, the colored shelves, chocolate fountains and Welte Orchestrion of the Candy Castle add another nostalgic note. The Tara Ice Cream Parlour recalls the lavish estate of Gone with the Wind, as complete with film memorabilia, preserved props, and stills of the American classic. Specialty sundaes, ice cream sodas and triple scoop cones abound. The Wonderland Music Store is unique in its display of phonographs, radios, grand pianos, and brass horns. Plaster mushrooms, faux flowers and porcelain dolls hearken to the 1951 classic Alice in Wonderland. The music of a restored, antique player piano carries into The Mad Hatter, a “rabbit hole” of hats and headgear, namely the famous “MousekeEars.” The Fortuosity Shop is a wonderland all its own; crystal bric-a-brac, china porcelain, fine jewelry, music boxes, and more, fill the shelves of the self-proclaimed “Most Breakable Store in Hollywood.”

Holiday Hamlet is a year-round treasure trove of holiday fun. Halloween, Christmas and Easter are in eternal celebration in this cozy emporium of plastic blow molds, twinkling trees, colored eggs, and miniature towns of the Halloween and Christmas Season. The storefront window looks into a miniature, handmade re-creation of Hollywood Boulevard, built to the smallest detail. Every December, Santa Claus himself visits Holiday Hamlet to share in the season with the children of the world. Walt’s Hobbies is of the same childlike wonder and optimism of Walt himself. Model trains, dollhouse accessories, miniature planes and books stock the well overstocked shelves and displays.

B66IXa-8BeEJ8p864Fy5wVy1dXNesE7DgYnr_s8ziNvQlBtTvZ3EFJ5ivxw2F-YUsy4XFNs-6etJzlWoJoP6x16sK4EQJVNatfzD7gQVgf12Y9JywZV1l0dvshQ0G4jobjJTrsdD

Last, but certainly not least, we find our answer to the elusive Club 33: The 20th Century Limited. The unsuspecting, seemingly empty facade of a drugstore subdues into the sweeping interior of a “deco” train station, where an eternal sunlight pours through a domed ceiling. “Members Only,” we are invited to dine aboard the legendary train of yore, taken on a simulated journey cross the Great Southwest - via “window animation.” The bold and diverse flavors of Southern California carry into the kitchen of the dining car, where a five-star meal by candlelight is all the rage. Private banquets and executive meetings frequent the exclusive club.

hUfKJ0DQaRpNjIHqnt1vJ6YA87ue__lRtlZKXBoTvM0jNoFX2VTCh-4H9yOOQY8yV8VJXHhGbSL5k4MfuyOL9alTNJ-6AhlYSw8wWGJOo1js0YBHRQRhd4SyDQ_kYVO7eomN1e8Z

As we near the end of Hollywood Boulevard and enter the Central Plaza, we find, on either end, an “E-Ticket” attraction in representation of the Hollywood Dream. On one end, The Great Movie Ride, on the other, well - we’ll get to that later.

“A Spectacular Journey Into the Movies
A Cast of Thousands! A Sweeping Spectacle of Thrills! Chills! Romance!”

The Great Movie Ride is held in a lifesize replica of the Grauman Chinese Theatre. Built to celebrate the lost mission statement of Disney*MGM Studios, we enter the lavish movie palace and into a lobby filled with iconic props and posters of the silver screen; Dorothy’s Ruby Slippers, the Ark of the Covenant, Mary Poppins’ umbrella. An inspired collection of trailers and scenes of classic cinema lead to a soundstage held beneath the Hollywoodland Sign at twilight. Here we board a “traveling theater” for a guided, immersive tour through the world of cinematic history.

The Great Movie Ride employs the use of Audio-Animatronic figures, practical sets, live actors, projections and special effects in a 25-minute experience. Along the way, we pass screen legends in their most iconic roles; a tableau of film in a timeless snapshot, from one movie to the next. The finale, of course, brings all the films together in a moving montage of what else, but great movies… Such featured films include Citizen Kane, Godzilla, Singin’ in the Rain, and The Wizard of Oz. This is the signature attraction of Hollywood Boulevard.

JiCy6rYvFvOXuYFnLdJItXzLxaDmZQQ-V8XxDMPaM44lilHrct4ZiKJGiw8Jb39uuYRKw1CUcLaqknM6tCsMpEyXqOeK7TDpAcQkwJj4n8SmlTFHDoGDV2HPEzlv_b9bZ4IeAhjI

Meanwhile, on the other side of the street, the impressive facade of the Muppet Theatre - complete with large statues of Animal “supporting” the weight of the building - holds an adventure in direct parody of Hollywood Boulevard’s signature attraction. Peculiar gardens, sentient trees and a hot-air balloon in the likeness of Kermit the Frog welcome us to the threshold of The Great Muppet Movie Ride.

In this wonderful, misguided tour of movie history, we are treated to a backstage tour of how movies are made - only, all the information is wrong. Aboard a studio golf cart - according to Scooter, budget cuts prohibited the use of a “fancy, traveling theater” - Director Gonzo gives us a glimpse into Muppet takes on classic Hollywood. In Beakenstein, a 10-foot Beaker is painfully reanimated by an evil Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. In Peter Pan, Tinkerbell (Miss Piggy) has lost control of her harness and destroyed the cheap backdrop of moonlit London. Naturally, Statler and Waldorf join the show, shamelessly trolling the attraction. “Hey, Statler?” “Yeah, Waldorf?” “I think it’s real swell that Disney finally gave the Muppets their own ride. I’m real happy to be here.” “Why do you say that, you old fool?” “Because the Mouse is always listening… Always listening.” The two shudder to the ethereal chuckle of Mickey Mouse…

Chickens squawk and explosions echo as we approach the Swedish Chef’s Pandemonium Pizza Parlor. Inspired by the dive pizza joints of Manhattan, the music and mayhem inside set the stage for the familiar warbles of the Swedish Chef, locked in eternal combat with a flock of chickens. The living, breathing pizza oven often has a chat with patrons, belching smoke to no remorse. Rats scurry past in the shadow, busily handling ingredients. Autographed headshots and Muppet memorabilia line the walls, overshadowed only by the crashed biplane of the Great Gonzo, narrowly teetering through a hole in the ceiling. The menu is written in both Swedish and English. Though the Swedish is more bizarre gibberish than actual Swedish...

Next, we will explore Toontown and Gracey Square, the two major sub-lands of Hollywood Boulevard! The next post is guaranteed to be a controversial one... As to why... Stay tuned!

I'm a bit shocked to see the Muppets aren't getting their own sub-land (although since they lived in Toontown, it was a sub-land within a sub-land); but I'm still glad to see them getting representation! And Disney Animation is always a treat no matter what; my personal favorite part of DCA, to be honest.

Is there gonna be anything different about Toontown and Gracey Square, or are they gonna remain the same as the first draft?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm a bit shocked to see the Muppets aren't getting their own sub-land (although since they lived in Toontown, it was a sub-land within a sub-land); but I'm still glad to see them getting representation! And Disney Animation is always a treat no matter what; my personal favorite part of DCA, to be honest.

Is there gonna be anything different about Toontown and Gracey Square, or are they gonna remain the same as the first draft?

I took the Muppets out of Toontown in favor of giving the Great Movie Ride a "rival" attraction on the opposite end. The only thing that didn't carry over from the Muppet sub-sub-land is Rizzo's Prop & Pawn Shop. Everything else made the move to the Hub. :) They are placed where Spamalot would have been located in the first draft. The Muppets are a near-perfect transition from Hollywood Boulevard and Toontown to the neighboring Liberty Waterfront.

Both Toontown and Gracey Square have undergone a significant change, Toontown in particular. The controversy promised at the end of my last post has everything to do with Toontown. Trust me on this one, guys. I would like to think I know what I'm doing. :p Both Toontown and Gracey Square will now have a path that leads to and from the Central Plaza.

Gracey Square will be more fleshed out and expanded into a miniature "ghost town" than the dead-end square it was originally. A couple of new attractions and retail will be added.

spacemt354

Chili's
Still keeping up with this - and it gets better and better with each edition, the subtle changes and even some big ones made all around! Some new imagineers like @MickeyMousketeer and @nated1226 who have started here recently might really enjoy this and learn from one of the best at park designs!

For this one, I'm taking a different approach and going to just rough draft until the park is almost complete. Then I'll begin the map so that I can make the transitions more seamless having all the pieces to the puzzle rather than constantly adding pieces. We'll see how that goes!

NateD1226

Still keeping up with this - and it gets better and better with each edition, the subtle changes and even some big ones made all around! Some new imagineers like @MickeyMousketeer and @nated1226 who have started here recently might really enjoy this and learn from one of the best at park designs!

For this one, I'm taking a different approach and going to just rough draft until the park is almost complete. Then I'll begin the map so that I can make the transitions more seamless having all the pieces to the puzzle rather than constantly adding pieces. We'll see how that goes!
I have actually been reading this! It is AMAZING! This inspired me to to make my own!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom