Dream Disney Resort

What extinct attraction would you like to see in my Magic Kingdom?

• Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • If You Had Wings

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Dreamflight

• Snow White's Scary Adventures

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Country Bear Jamboree

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Adventure Thru Inner Space

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other (Specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
That's right, folks. I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack...

For those of you who haven't been following my dream resort for the past (almost) two years, here's a brief overview. Long ago, following my real-life departure from the Walt Disney Company, I made an attempt to design the world's largest Magic Kingdom. The project took months to complete. By the end of it, I was completely unsatisfied. Being a perfectionist, I then made an attempt at a "perfect" final draft which took even longer than the first rough draft. Long story short - it was never finished.

This is a project both near and dear to my heart; a pure, blue sky love letter to my favorite place in the world. I now feel comfortable enough to release the long-awaited final draft, bit-by-bit, at my own pace. I can't promise how often these updates will be, but trust me, I mean business this time.

For the sake of my own privacy, I will post each update in this thread. The promised Google Doc does exist and will be kept in my archives for personal updates and safekeeping. At the end of the project's release in this thread, I will provide a link (if asked via PM) to anyone who wishes to skim thru the document. @spacemt354, I'd love to team up on a park map once the project is officially complete.

If you're new to the project, welcome! I like covering every last detail of the park thru detailed writing. To indicate important words (such as attractions, points of interest, etc.), I will typically bold the word. Quotes will be italicized and bolded. If a YouTube video is featured, press play prior to reading the adjacent paragraph, it will help immerse you further into my imagination. Enjoy!

Need I say anymore? Play on, gypsies.

===========================================================================

Disney's Land of Dreams

- A Dream Resort by MANEATINGWREATH -

FuYzOkeGlkvKqPiYm8CqFLeu-W3qA1GdY8oNIZEIwGQ4Or_9fSR_4WfqjlqOrpgquGN4yMCnlbgsHR787F7kasqlPMYfLyQhM98LuyxmltnVbP6w5NvzXB5EcwoRm804o5rCdqXl

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." - Harriet Tubman

Inspired Greatly by: "A Dream Called Walt Disney World" (1981), DisneyChris.com, ThemeParkTourist.com, Widen Your World, and "Disneyland - The First Thirty Years."

"When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." - Walt Disney

The Happiest Legacy on Earth

"If we can borrow some of the concepts of Disneyland and Disney World and Epcot, then indeed the world can be a better place." - Ray Bradbury

“Walt Disney may have done more to touch the hearts and minds of millions of Americans than any other man in the past century. He brought joy, happiness, and a universal means of communication to people of all nations. Certainly, our world shall know but one Walt Disney.” It is in his legacy that our Land of Dreams finds its dedication; a continuation of Walt’s finest dream: Disneyland.

eKDYOt446A_fZkCeEICgVhlpL6LyiY7ombf-_DsufiayNe5VGs07mF0PxWgzw6cWoSmiSoSbd_q_WzHYAcoN0lg6miqPwbcinxq3F_xZzcDm8gdbhGeqkoOuGDOhW4Rzfnvvxx7L

“Disneyland really began,” Walt said, “when my two daughters were very young. Saturday was always ‘Daddy’s Day’ and I would take them to the merry-go-round and sit on a bench eating peanuts while they rode. And sitting there, alone, I felt that there should be something built, some kind of a family park where parents and children could have fun together.”

The 20-year dream of Disneyland welcomed its first guests on July 17, 1955. Will Jones of the Minneapolis Tribune wrote, “If it’s an amusement park, it’s the gosh-darndest, most happily-inspired, most carefully-planned, most adventure-filled park ever conceived. No ride or concession in it is like anything in any other amusement park anywhere.” For gone was the hectic chaos of the typical amusement park. Rather, guests found themselves immersed into a land of three-dimensional fantasy. It was - and remains - a place where the world of today was left in favor of yesterday and tomorrow, fantasy and adventure.

“Fantasy, if it’s really convincing, can’t become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension beyond the reach of time.” - Walt Disney

NE_5voR9s3FBpUzHp6N7SvrDI_-Fpc4VcmA-9kI6FL6FQPGan0FXCxFG3XfmIE94-0LLRng6Lfo8-V37ax38-G21RhiXadKFGweeprQRdwEvyyR4PU0bQCnZb8M2wzUk-J22Flre

Today, Walt’s “magical little park” has grown into an international family of world-class resorts and entertainment: Walt Disney World, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disneyland, and the most recent addition to the Disney Family: Disney’s Land of Dreams. What was once an 180 acre orange grove in Anaheim, California has become the “happiest legacy on earth.”

The crowning jewel of Disney’s Land of Dreams is The Magic Kingdom, where the magic of dreams coming true begins. Here we explore the enchanted realms of childhood imagination and fantasy: Hollywood Boulevard, Westernland, Adventureland, Fantasyland, Discoveryland, and Tomorrowland.

1.jpg

10,000 acres of land were set aside for our Land of Dreams, 1,500 of these acres housing the decidedly monstrous Magic Kingdom. Later named the “World’s Largest Theme Park,” the finished Magic Kingdom came in at a size large enough to hold three Epcots, one DisneySea, and one Disneyland.

Presented here, for your enjoyment and exploration, is a detailed, virtual tour of this fictitious Magic Kingdom. I invite you to explore every last inch of this magical place, down to the minute detail. So, sit back, relax, and let your imagination run wild as my own wildest dreams unfold before your very eyes. This is Disney’s Land of Dreams.

===========================================================================

More to come!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Judging by your use of the term “Westernland” as opposed to “Frontierland”, I’d say that your Dream Resort is probably set somewhere exotic, where there’s no translation for the word “frontier”.

Actually, this resort won't be given a real world location. You as the reader can place the resort wherever you'd like, whether it be Australia, Brazil, Singapore, South Africa, Canada, Spain, etc. It's completely up to personal speculation. I find that not placing the resort in an exact location gives me a lot more room as an armchair Imagineer to be creative, especially given the unrealistic amount of attractions and space in my park as it is.

I chose Westerland simply because I prefer the name to Frontierland. :p

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Not as major of an update as I would have liked, but it will do for now. ;)

========================================================================================================

Disney Plaza

“I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing… That it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

By land, sea, or air - not forgetting a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six-car Monorail - our adventure begins in the resort’s heart of transportation and travel: Disney Plaza. The air is filled with wonderful, atmospheric music, all Disney standards and classics orchestrated into charming and enticing instrumentals. Lush gardens, thundering waterfalls, tall pines, and a magnificent fountain set an inspired threshold to the Main Gate of our Magic Kingdom. At its heart, a bronze statue of Sorcerer Mickey conducts the colored waters of the Fantasia Fountain, an ornate “compass” of sorts. With its marching broomsticks and jumping fountains, the four cardinal points of the Fantasia Fountain direct us toward the resort’s varied points of interest; to the north, the Magic Kingdom; to the south, the Parking & Transportation Center; to the east, the Disney Boardwalk & Hotel District, a Victorian pier surrounding the shores of a fifteen-acre lake, neighbored closely by the Disney Bowl, a 5,000-seat amphitheater in the spirit and style of the real-world Hollywood Bowl; to the west, an unkempt parcel of land, aptly dubbed “Magic in the Making.”

mdnxE5RDwHkrdiC-BA5sQ4anQOaksCdDu9FfLcDnCiOKVtAJPz3kGuTFv_5phTe_nNO6sysGnKNyazCd6CTgVi9nX13bIxxD7BSo8s2VHiSfyV0MBz97ICbFCAXq-z2oQgEVRSLx

Inspired greatly by the unrealized concept for “WESTCOT Center” and the Disneyland Resort, Disney’s Land of Dreams is an unprecedented design in immersion and focus on the guest experience. The 10,000-acre oasis sought to bring the Magic Kingdom into the 21st Century, with multiple themed hotels, the aforementioned boardwalk (a well-disguised shopping mall), a world-class amphitheater, and of course, the world’s largest theme park. Moving walkways, a PeopleMover, the Monorail, and Swan Boats all provide transportation throughout the resort, providing quick, safe and complimentary access to any of the resort’s locales, both on and off-property. The fifteen-acre Fantasy Lagoon features real beaches and watersports, such as fishing, kayaking, water skiing, and parasailing. Lush, man-made forests, rivers and gardens provide a sense of unification with nature, completely blurring the lines between reality and pretend. In the Land of Dreams, we, the audience, are immersed completely into the story.

c9x8C5ZMAYTIWExFmouCKiUGDY093mDAiF3Lrzqa3VwZONaw_0UwljPOdS69hoDeMvIq-2_YyptHhoUZLxSwSJaaxgSZ0acPstW5k13jpJLHpkrV-GZhaHtDvP1sbvs9Jbq3YCg5

mot6DBzHiWyuoMZuEPD_VH0EBbkLqmN73PPeeisR7kwwEbkQ98onHvS5YLB8ajkXNm-kTzJ31AgSV0EHzFa8IBq4nlUvZUSdXe5tWcYT92sOn_DKvGM66r-Fezi3-csou83KVCpb

As we approach the ornate Main Gate, we pass through the turnstiles and step foot into this timeless realm of enchantment. Seeing as today’s tour is on me, we skip past the friendly ticket-takers and find ourselves before the inspired sight of a familiar but fanciful train station.

Perhaps you’ve dreamed of returning to an earlier time, or perhaps a time that never was… A time of swimming pools and movie stars. Ahead of us we hear the excitement and din of music and laughter, the steady ding of an electric trolley, and the rhythmic pulse of a bustling young movie town at the height of its Golden Age… This dream takes shape and surrounds us here on Hollywood Boulevard.

============================================================================================================

Last edited:

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Just an FYI, I always appreciate posts and feedback in between updates. I have this weird OCD about double posting. It might not seem like it, but I'm secretly freaking out because I have now posted three consecutive times. :p

To start us off, here is the beginning portion of Hollywood Boulevard: Town Square.

========================================================================================================

Hollywood Boulevard

“Hollywood Boulevard is the Hollywood that ‘never was’ - a bustling, young movie town at the height of its Golden Age. Big band and searchlights - swimming pools and movie stars. Hollywood Boulevard is a tribute to the American Dream - a fanciful glimpse at a true-life wonderland of yesteryear. No dream is too big on Hollywood Boulevard - or too small.”

_kUxAJioHilA8KmWPivMPd9bCdGFcBIhTgPNfvri-liBu-Wr155rZ5S8elHKKW-4UgfLZjiBB_pnALGvpyge1RPS8x1BDF1F6bL1UPMAE9gjTC_ombRNVL1M2YokEMd4spSVHAj4

“I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train.” - Walt Disney

As we pass through the ornate turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom - fashioned to resemble the iconic Pan-Pacific Auditorium of Los Angeles - we first glimpse the familiar setting of an old train station, aptly marked by the floral face of Mickey Mouse, circa 1948. We hear the haunting echo of the station master calling out announcements as the Kingdom Railway, an authentic steam locomotive pulls into the station. This variation on the classic Disneyland Railroad offers a scenic, grand-circle tour of the world’s largest Magic Kingdom, with additional stops throughout the park.

BiyfDdPLrG9VbkU8SO7TdadKvUvYEflQ7NgsIkBUfm2vsRYAtfQ7EuWoKs5s0mcbtOXuBLqRKDZrMNxLrh0iaZEyFGrW7PHBFZ_Otjmbbztnb6ws9J-MEo4AJnHA_kgjCIn1rHOm
l7OBkT9qaogbf5pJj75YWAx-hA9RN94_awYa7OttFRWXTeZIXPwspp-wiVQTzGS8tdcMG3Ckx6GCuZid-T6p_Y73PI9iqDWJxTRRNPVWY-HyOOunvmj5QheI96BKK3dRnsmBCfz3

The nostalgic visage of the Hollywood Boulevard Station is the first of four station stops throughout the Magic Kingdom, directly inspired by the real-world design of the iconic Union Station in Los Angeles. Enclosed garden patios, Spanish Revival fountains, a familiar clock tower, and a spacious lobby complement the Art Deco and Mission Revival-inspired architecture. From aboard the Kingdom Railway, our conductor points out all the sights and sounds along the rails. A trip along the banks of the muddy Mississippi transitions into a relaxed journey along the rim of the Grand Canyon.

_rO0sJ9ngMy9-EYAKgpIgge7MroAnWER5qwHMNQVWrQZ599ec7Ehe1cR0q2e-gLD0hWdPx-JaKgdntO2lYNy39BhykTTNmDoiH_ZZtOD7FwBWvWtklkrGhg5u9KyOZHy5GZm-9AP

A glimpse at one of the world’s longest dioramas, the Grand Canyon provides a panoramic recreation of the flora and fauna of Arizona’s Great Abyss. To Ferde Grofé’s “Grand Canyon Suite,” curious wildlife examine our train in hesitant caution. A freak thunderstorm illuminates the promise of a vibrant rainbow, while a proud flock of mountain goats look on. But of course, it wasn’t always this way…

7PTdsf6cMdB9hq7wyVsA4kZ7tViOeI7g6Scf-4Ul7AEvF4zjcnEcpCg3_PN_NX9g9D1aaSNrml7bq0A0BgyUxKV6rKvDQ7UOb3ibI0W2Ti6hU5LBqiLzR11bruf9vFXLHUMB22xC

This is the world that once was; a world that trembles beneath giant feet. Strange mammals and hulking creatures thrive among the subtle populace of early man. Sabre-toothed cats and monstrous wolves stalk their prey. The mammoth, mastodon, ground sloth and wooly rhinoceros graze amidst the frozen tundra. Hunters corner a mammoth, poised to close-in on the trumpeting beast, all while nearby “scientists” invent our “first method of transportation” - an oversized stone wheel. This is the dramatic stage that sets the fantastic Ice Age World, a kingdom lost to time itself.

From the Main Gate, we pass through one of two tunnels on either side of the Mickey floral. A bronze plaque above either tunnel reads this familiar sentiment:

“HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY
AND ENTER THE WORLD
OF YESTERDAY, TOMORROW
AND FANTASY”

An iconic attribute to any Magic Kingdom, electronic posters line the walls of either tunnel, each interchanging to offer a taste of the coming attractions and adventures. One unique detail, however, is that each poster features simple animation; i.e., the hitchhiking ghosts of The Haunted Mansion actually move their thumbs, all beneath the light of a shimmering full moon, whilst eerie lights flicker and bats flutter past…

1wjJT7uLzd5cI6PzGLYvkPEnoX16cxN17yfVbYKTPtJpLcX632vZHVaCH3Lcixk3rkpQ8FkwuolLl8FQ4bWW0DBwSZFwhkh-LPKTcfrYxGLkggktR-Y9D_AMQoCMd1VTz2Wq4t86

“Hooray for Hollywood
That screwy, ballyhooly Hollywood
Where any office boy or young mechanic
Can be a panic, with just a goodlooking pan
Where any barmaid can be a star maid
If she dances with or without a fan”

As the stress of contemporary life gives way to this enchanted embodiment of classic cinema, we find ourselves on the streets of Tinseltown in the year 1948. On one hand is the Chamber of Commerce, on the other, a Police & Fire Station. We see a department store, the popcorn man, the bustling cinema, and all the many shops before us. Palm trees sway and automobiles beep amid the horns and drums of a big band beat. This is yesteryear Los Angeles as it appeared in a time when anyone and everyone could make it. Here, one can go out and try their luck, and most certainly meet Donald Duck. The Golden Age of Hollywood is reborn in this thematic celebration that evokes the romance, glamour and sentimentality of the silver screen.

Named for the hero of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Valiant Park rests in the heart of Town Square. Well-kempt gardens provide a lush backdrop for a Spanish Revival Bandstand. This popular haunt of the Hollywoodland Philharmonic, a marching band of yore, sits beneath the shade of tall palms and hedges. Numerous benches, roses, fountains and picnic tables provide an ample viewing area for the ongoing entertainment. Keystone cops patrol the park in search of ne’er-do-wells, while an overly-flamboyant movie starlet canoodles her poodle whilst greeting “fans.” A beady-eyed private eye investigates word of paparazzi “gone bad,” while a would-be animator sketches his latest dream. These Citizens of Hollywood Boulevard instill a true sense of “reality” into this realm of historic fantasy.

OatwQd_QnGsg5Dy5ztPwYZhk9WUgNtRkP-RRPISAsNtw58FkP_2fUsqPrFU3zgX7j8R_M0zbZC07yjSyu6ODuGFJ46i4eCfqo-F3RD-_-tHSLXXB3g1jmjBdtVQAEnsGCW7D3QWs

Of course, no Town Square would be complete without an appearance or two from the world-famous Disney Characters, all dressed in their Hollywood finest. “Storytellers” recalls the story of Walt Disney’s arrival in 1923 in Los Angeles, dedicated in a quiet corner of Valiant Park. A young Walt and Mickey look down Hollywood Boulevard, eager to progress with nothing more than a suitcase and a dream. An adjacent plaque reads: “It was July 1923. I packed all of my worldly goods - a pair of trousers, a checkered coat, a lot of drawing materials and the last of the fairy tale reels we had made - in a kind of frayed cardboard suitcase. And with that wonderful audacity of youth, I went to Hollywood, arriving there with just forty dollars. It was a big day the day I got on that Santa Fe California Limited. I was just free and happy!” - Walt Disney

The fabulous Five & Dime make their way down Hollywood Boulevard and toward Valiant Park in a jazzed-up jalopy. As the legend goes, five working-class folk from Chicago met a dame named “Dime” and hit it big in La La Land - thanks to a certain Mr. Disney - playing the Ritz and hits of yore.

hlMFctEKhXGGCSdHCCZFOfXX4odTNVCXItRb3bp5D6haltmVnDr3Co7I3-ElEliBizT8kBlDeV4COX59yY9sN8VuHy3z_NIE7aTR_qWoeq7zNr5me8usXl_HYwBX_UzW-j0ULwkI

The hectic and delightful music of an old circus organ fills the air as we take in the breathtaking sight of an antique carousel, smack-dab in the heart of Valiant Park. Inspired by the same merry-go-round that inspired Walt “once upon a time,” the Elias Carousel features 74 wood-carved horses and chariots cast beneath the light of 3,000 shimmering bulbs. A single bench overlooks the vivid display, all-too-familiar with the same setting in Griffith Park where Walt first dreamt of his original Disneyland.

Rooftop billboards and a fanciful array of Art Deco, Mission Revival, and Pueblo Deco buildings compose this seamless world of reality and pretend. Philippe's, named and sponsored by the real-world Philippe’s in Los Angeles is home to the original “French Dipped Sandwich,” found just to the north of Valiant Park. Specialties of the house include roast beef, pork, turkey, ham, or leg of lamb. Coleslaw, macaroni salads, pickled eggs, pickles, olives, and peppers accommodate the varied deli dishes. Like the original, sawdust dusts the floor, “HOT” mustard is at all the tables, and lines form in front of the long deli-display counter, where trained “Carvers” prepare your meal right then and there.

Not far from Philippe’s, the atmospheric Hollywood Boulevard Vehicles make their first stop, providing transport to and from the center of the park. In this menagerie of transit, we are able to board an old-fashioned Jalopy, Fire Engine or Red Car Trolley. The historic Red Car crisscrossed Los Angeles from 1887 to 1961, until the advent of the automobile following World War II. Unlike their gas-fueled “car-leagues” (colleagues), the Red Car makes an additional trip through a certain neighborhood to the west; but more on that later… Faux catenary (trolley wire) spans the skies of Hollywood Boulevard, adding an atmospheric touch of authenticity.

Ro7V2nv1GZ0nDg_Kipn_WU3vow1JKYCcv5DN3MV4ZEBq7qjoOCq0oYtRSYp5Vr2Ok2y6qwqGK5cG9-pWxKY05qRnIldBrJ1Zq92JEx8uuucpmAWjpgKkLt8V1VNohuN7T_6Vqh_0

Built long before the first star was born of the silver screen, the Chamber of Commerce overlooks the eastern half of Town Square, its aged clock tower chiming every quarter hour in union with the Hollywood Boulevard Station’s own clock tower. The proud American flag - complete with 48 stars - gently sways in the breeze, a warm symbol of hope and progress. The in-park home of Guest Relations, friendly Cast Members are always on hand to answer questions, provide touring tips, make reservations, or assist those visiting from across international waters. The Police & Fire Station next door recreates a period facility of the sort, housing an authentic fire engine and police car. Just don’t find yourself caught in the station’s authentic jail cell!

PGIcHr0P6pn0QmHBuQqEIHzMWoKgRbotUKqD8y4PNKEPcdVaSS2tf05ZAuMK5waU6gm46JS9USoEtZHHDvckV8vTLVg2F9HG2J3LTnROq2cQKGuUFgMvJAz3V1qo9F9lMEyiE31z

Luggage dollies and baggage mounds addressed to far-off locales litter the entrance to the Town Square Lockers, neighbored closely by the Child Care Center, First Aid Station and Lost & Found, all prime examples of Disney’s standard of excellence in customer service.

e9vpYT8a7zV5vdwDJu6k4vcbNQgRP1xSpUEjhA8eAgkPpj96H5c1cc_TtVLxu0jiXX6X7teb1J0zElVJ1Low1oWDppdYCprMMbYeRVsR5nplPhA6UQrzruvgCEFdyQSDxG1uHrJ6

Bright neon and a vintage radio welcome us to Oswald’s Filling Station. Found west of Valiant Park, Oswald’s always seems to have a ‘40 Pontiac Torpedo Coupe out front, while another, slightly decrepit roadster receives eternal maintenance in the adjacent garage. Named for a certain lucky rabbit, Oswald’s is decked “ear-to-toe” in memorabilia of American Car Culture, though the inventory is almost exclusively snacks and refreshments. Oswald himself often frequents the station in full mechanic attire, a rabbit-shaped wrench at hand.

OgEmI8Q_ZYMm9StiJFnpzRK0kLqBwT8bL2qvb8_y3aKVtcSjQr2_sBX-ZfrhYypMxG8RQaOLhQd_w26BvDqgz79OP8CnduNUCdsoVAewVa5zbCBRYrBN8vPIroit44pCLNNiLrVx

Held within the historic Carthay Circle Theatre, a collection of artwork and exhibits honor the man behind the mouse in a converted lobby. Scale models, statuettes and concept paintings adorn the corridor leading into the lavish screening room. A stirring overture preludes an inspired look at the life and times of Walt Disney. Just One Dream: The Walt Disney Story is a multimedia salute to the beloved American icon. Audio-Animatronics, projections, rare footage, music and the inspired ballad of “Just One Dream” recall such great moments in the life of Mr. Disney as the premiere of Steamboat Willie to the opening of Disneyland in 1955. Think “The American Adventure” of Epcot - but if it focused on the life of Walt Disney instead of America.

Built in 1926, the original Carthay Circle Theatre held the premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937. This detailed recreation of the now-defunct cinema truly evokes the glamour and romance of Hollywood’s Golden Age.

Adjoint to the old theatre, Walt’s Hobbies sells model trains, comic-books, dollhouse accessories and other fine miniatures, combined with photos and memorabilia pertaining to Walt and his many interests. A model train zips through a miniature recreation of the real Hollywood, California, right alongside an onslaught of “attacking” plastic dinosaurs, miniature UFO’s suspended overhead, and an hourly “California earthquake.”

A spiral staircase leads to a museum held just above the lobby of Carthay Circle. In a once-private collection of portraits, paintings and sculptures, the Disney Gallery acts in showcase for the artwork of Walt Disney Imagineering and Animation. Artifacts - rare or otherwise - from nearly a century of magic are on display, including the always-impressive Toy Story Zoetrope. A rotating series of special exhibits are often held in the main gallery, often a showcase of the latest animated offering or park expansion.

More to come!

AceAstro

Just an FYI, I always appreciate posts and feedback in between updates. I have this weird OCD about double posting. It might not seem like it, but I'm secretly freaking out because I have now posted three consecutive times.
I feel that same struggle so I hope this comment helps that. :D

More on track however, I LOVE this!! Even though I’ve been to the real thing, Hollywood Boulevard in the parks is 100x better so I think this would be awesome!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
As always, feedback is appreciated between updates. Today we will cover the main thoroughfare of Hollywood Boulevard before diving into its two sub-lands. Yes, my opening land has two sub-lands. Go big or go home, am I right?

@spacemt354, I couldn't help but think while writing this that you have your map work cut out for you. :p This park is massive.

Hollywood Boulevard, Part 2

sDPOxKnppdh--isDiElEZa0vhOhxeQBGaIsh4lJgl42aMXDsv7RpfFiSOtnNryaEFQub6rcg7McxPTdTbWnDGwTB5tAxk2gpngmpH1cd6oIwhZ-NhS0dEfMWYWcCVoN6T-8G2fPq

From Town Square, we embark on a nostalgic stroll through the glamour and glitz of a yesteryear Tinseltown via the main thoroughfare. Amidst the swaying palms, vintage billboards, shimmering neon, and swinging big band, we immerse ourselves into the adventure and romance of a city that never sleeps, starting with:
The
Hollywoodland Department Store.

The opulent department store occupies almost an
entire block to the western half of the boulevard. Renown as the largest shop inside the Magic Kingdom, the two-level mercantile pays tribute to the Art Deco Macy’s of yore, with wooden escalators, crystal chandeliers, and sweeping rotundas. The clanging of cash registers matches the measured pace of the passing Red Car. Countless clothing racks and near-infinite rows of display cases line the tiled floor. Per tradition, storefront windows display vignettes from Disney’s animated classics: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, and The Jungle Book.

hSSbJ1CPR7AvGKjp3lQhcRdHZ5PdJrLrpzSrMhXGbymGTWbua6O2X8ptAS-Ih8lO08Qs8ytKxzz2o35lnfZfab_Ims1hYgbYsm-WHTmVt-obh02FpvSfESL8pq1FWfKORhlzCSov

Tin soldiers guard the entrance to Tom’s Toyland, a toy shop named for the hero of Babes in Toyland. In Tom’s Toyland - a fraction of the Department Store Complex - we find an offering of Disney toys, books and music. Retro products are also for sale: Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots, Mr. Potato Head, Robert the Robot, and more, all true to the era. Baby Mine, represented by a Miss Jumbo and Dumbo, carries toys and clothing for the youngest of park visitors. Hollywood Clothiers, Ltd. completes the sprawling Complex, the largest Disney wardrobe in town. A seamstress is always on hand to make repairs and special souvenirs from scratch.

The Houdini Magic Shop sits opposite the Department Store, where legend has it that Harry Houdini once visited, leaving behind a straightjacket that is still on proud display. Master magicians perform sleight-of-hand tricks for passers by, while a mechanical chimpanzee attracts patrons from its curbside soapbox. Aside from the usual tricks, pranks and gags for sale, the shop celebrates all things science-fiction, from Godzilla to Star Wars. Rare collectibles and peculiar antiquities line the shelves, overlooked by miniature statues of King Kong and Nosferatu. Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind offers an antique collection of Coca Cola machines, period toys, jukeboxes, movie props, arcade cabinets, trading cards, and more. The Tinseltown Arcade completes the southeastern block, a retro arcade harkening to the ‘50s and ‘60s. A vibrant collection of vintage arcade games, including two-player basketball, photo booths, mechanical fortune tellers, pinball machines, and antique nickelodeon's stock the converted-warehouse, where a fistful of dimes provide hours of old-fashioned fun.

Sunset Boulevard runs perpendicular to Hollywood Boulevard, marked by an overhead traffic light. Sunset Boulevard runs directly through the two major “sub-lands” of Hollywood Boulevard: Toontown to the west and Gracey Square to the east. In reference to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the Red Car travels through Toontown, using Sunset Boulevard as both an entrance and exit, before continuing north on Hollywood Boulevard. Gracey Square, however does not welcome the Red Car. Locals tell me that the Pacific Electric Railway never laid track in Gracey Square… Reportedly something to do with “supernatural activity,” but that’s all speculation, I suppose…

hno2ArTT9z6UU3urZYMJzND-4Mzg4TRWWyIBKwc8pOmyLccoOWqOMisP2ijhDXvvHFlk_-4DAKSYktTyskamwTpW2iSaUkA_-gctNxMXBot9tqEVKH2sVm6wv2bCSmP29iMaQPVB

Sunset Marketplace recalls the color and excitement of an old-fashioned grocery store, nestled to the eastern stretch of Sunset Boulevard. Vibrant signs and sky-high piles of cans fill the marketplace, where yes, actual groceries and familiar products are available for purchase. I.M. Honeste, Talent Agent runs an “honest” business with his neighbor, Sid Cahuenga. I.M. Honeste claims he can make anyone a star, and will slap your face on a magazine cover or “retro” glamour shot for a small fee. The Stage Door Costume Company features hats for sale, as well as costumes for use in the adjoining talent agency. Framed photos detail famous actors and actresses of the Golden Age having visited the shop, with autographs dedicated to the owner. Dorothy’s ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz are on proud display, a rumored gift from Louis B. Mayer of MGM.

To the western stretch of Sunset Boulevard we find the ominous stronghold of Cloverleaf Industries, now boarded and closed in the death of its chairman: Judge Doom. The Terminal Bar sits too-close-for-comfort with the passing Red Car, shaking and rattling every time a car passes. Eddie Valiant’s no-nonsense girlfriend, Dolores runs the bar, offering cheap drinks and appetizers for an all-day “Happy Hour.” Valiant & Valiant can be found across from the Terminal Bar, though inaccessible to us - and weasels.

DmnBOe7_bZH8yvrEhHYco1wprDseRVir9u8nTpKwNQ4Norxp4hKgfcvs4Q5aioww5lKXgE0M_RJ1Ef-891BhzreGr8ogwB1wT58_ft4SI5D9Ix6c-c4_3MIGsQCYKOIuA-yOLahX

Disney Animation serves as an appropriate transition between Sunset Boulevard and Toontown. Held within a large studio seeming to be held in place by statues of the Seven Dwarfs - much like the real animation studio in Burbank - Disney Animation offers a first-hand look at the power of the pen. Inside the Lobby, a collection of giant screens interchange clips, stills and concept art for various Disney and Pixar classics, appropriately shown with the film’s respective musical theme. The Lobby acts as a “hub” for access to the studio’s other experiences. The Animation Academy offers a hands-on lesson from an actual Disney artist. The Sorcerer’s Workshop takes us deep within the private chambers of Yen Sid, the stern sorcerer of Fantasia. In his Observatory, we can create simple animation via spinning “reels.” The stone walls reveal many of our favorite characters arranged by theme: Fairies and Spirits, Heroes and Villains, Mentors and Warriors. The wise, talking portrait of Yen Sid points the path into Ursula’s Grotto, the eerie abode of Ursula the Sea Witch. Here we can become the voices of classic Disney characters in famous movie scenes. The adjoint Beast’s Library allows us to find our “Disney” self in a humorous quiz with Lumiere and Cogsworth. One of the most beautiful areas in the entire park, the Beast’s Library seems to stretch into the heavens, often falling into a state of disrepair before the displayed rose is restored and beauty and magic brighten the chamber.

HgJy_cvBTSZSPxlAWWDZisLxrJTTEeBeypJunQdB95FpO8kQTXcTCyfkrDL4Nxs4yd7Rd6agqHrqRJ0_A2pY8Ulj1oyTg6bKJStq34m1nMn5oZZDFcNnBVsae5szqXOLOqW2YoGN

Jim Henson’s Muppet Workshop is an attraction unique to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Animation, focusing on the “furrier” side of things. Live demonstrations and one-on-one tips from trained “Muppeteers” serve as a backdrop to a bizarre factory - complete with sentient machines and architecture - where we can build our very own Muppet Whatnot from various parts. For a price, we can even take our Whatnot home. The giant Muppet-Screen 3000 overlooks the factory, often playing classic clips and skits from The Muppet Show.

Character Close-Up provides a randomized meet ‘n’ greet experience with a “Character of the Day,” often a rare and unfamiliar face. Back to Neverland, while slightly dated, plays in tribute to the late Robin Williams. The classic film reveals the process of hand-drawn animation, transforming Robin from man to Lost Boy in a conflict with Captain Hook. Back to Neverland - Again plays immediately following the original film, this time focusing on Hugh Jackman being introduced to the process of computer animation on a Peter Pan sequel. Unlike the original film, Back to Neverland - Again features a musical number, performed by an animated Mr. Jackman himself.

0Ehm7bChlOEJLvZOXQxnvOlx__PJ0LinNCIuSVp0ZTH7HExBHM6fOPRzL2QLkBIKQXbNtPzxt31DLALqcEVrL1ZJ0oni5r2zInE5rUehIxCwV5dFRxYe9IkC2dZkrOiz0EWS-E7O

Back on the main thoroughfare of Hollywood Boulevard, we come upon the famous Ink & Paint Club. Entering through a “secret” panel, we find a foggy lounge reminiscent of an old speakeasy, where a mismatched array of humans and “toons” are the waitstaff. A large octopus serves drinks at the bar, a tuxedo-clad Donald Duck pounds away at a grand piano, and - although our server is human - the penguins of Mary Poppins fame wander about the restaurant, carrying trays in a frantic attempt to make an honest living. Of course, human entertainment goes on whenever Donald needs a break from getting angry at the ivories.

7cwl-j1hEGKds2Oypv6NO8d6pPGB2s6sMGJ7w_rgPIoKsUsfKXx0100K_kQItfvsfHsjO6ABGKs41qH3xR4S3tyq46bQMmwHk-RZwLVchZHkplzkqBOe6HnWpKOZhklkxUJwewyE

Freshly baked treats, caramel apples, gargantuan candy bars, chocolate rabbits and more decadent delicacies line the shelves of the magnificent Candy Castle. Front and center, a large replica of Cinderella Castle (in reference to Walt Disney World) is displayed, built entirely from gingerbread. The Ragtime Ice Cream Parlour sits right next door, the ultimate in indoor-outdoor air-conditioning. An antique player piano provides appropriate music for the parlour’s turn-of-the-century atmosphere and checkered floor.

yglzN0Ze8wWlANDa9GCoN7Ms-reuCAwoCgGNykc9Ca1mgfzNdDdajkeDNSL1RhAf0z1lX_HIRBmlSdxBMZIbN5gnVkWGF7_a9qldeRQJLsTEYSyUKpWypT5AE84ahG29XymGIePt

Completing the western block of Hollywood Boulevard is the Magic Kingdom’s answer to Club 33: The 20th Century Limited. An unsuspecting facade gives way to the interior of a sweeping train depot, where few members are allowed private access aboard the world-famous train of yesteryear. While dining, animated windows and a rumbling floor simulate a trip thru the iconic sights and scenery of California. Private banquets, company dinners and board meetings are often held aboard the legendary steam train. For those who can’t afford the club’s exclusive membership, Award Wieners next door provides somewhat classy, albeit public means of dining: hamburgers, hot dogs and Coca Cola.

The northeastern block of Hollywood Boulevard focuses more on the shopper’s experience, starting with Alice in Wonderland, a virtual wonderland of crystal bric-a-brac, china porcelain and other fine trinkets. A display of plaster mushrooms, faux flowers and vintage dolls of the 1951 film adorn the shop's interior, where an exclusive collection of snowglobes, glass miniatures and other rare items are sold. An authentic glassblower can be seen crafting hand blown souvenirs in full view of passers by. Traveling further “down the rabbit hole,” The Mad Hatter continues the curious theme, offering an extensive array of fun hats and headgear, namely the iconic “MousekeEars.”

MXOjlT1DP4UTVvZEoNojjYEGoVs4kqwYRyQD9933FhQqwV3CrGa49ENznE0GPIx2NdOpdO32iZjvNMSV8OtXm7A3ImT4eoZcsW9FAU0gEqAtASW3fARO5UAYN13aDQSpHSYqLdWV

Frosty’s Cabinet
, a year-round “Winter Wonderland” welcomes us to a world where it is quite literally Christmas every day! The scent of pine and gingerbread fill the air as we take in the fun nostalgia of 1940s Christmas, from plastic blow molds to Department 56 villages. Storefront windows portray scenes from Donald’s Snow Fight, Santa’s Workshop and of course, Mickey’s Christmas Carol. Each December, Santa Claus himself frequents Frosty’s Cabinet, joined by a trio of elves in a department store style meet ‘n’ greet.

Lastly, The Darkroom offers near-instant photo development, cameras and memory cards for purchase, and even a collection of rare cameras, vintage or otherwise. Old photographs hint at the early years of Walt Disney Animation, including framed stills of the Alice Comedies.

One might notice that the ornate window advertisements above the attractions, stores and restaurants of Hollywood Boulevard add a nice, thematic touch to the “big city” environ. However, these windows are in fact presented in honor of Disney’s Cast Members and Imagineers who have left an indelible mark in the park’s history. Other faux marquees further establish the setting, such as the “Quick Snip Barber Shop, Lester Paine Dentist,” and “Noah Count Insurance.”

- Background -

With the success of the Shanghai Disney Resort in 2016, it was evident now, perhaps more than ever, that the idea of another Disney Resort was not impossible. As they had done with Walt Disney World just decades prior, Disney began the purchase of land in secret in late 2018. 10,000 Acres were set aside for the presumed development of new housing. However, speculation arose when a hot-air balloon in the shape of a certain Mouse took flight above the construction site…

At the D23 Expo in 2019, then CEO Bob Iger announced the latest addition to the Disney Family. Disney’s Land of Dreams would complete construction in the Summer of 2024, with not-so-secret groundbreaking having begun just months prior. The large resort would feature a 1,500 Acre Magic Kingdom, a Disney first. “We felt as if, with Disney Parks being so accessible to much of the world, we had to offer more than just a typical Magic Kingdom. We truly wanted a destination unlike the existing Parks; something to entice our visitors.”

With an unreal budget, and perhaps more dedication and labor than any Disney Park before it, the Land of Dreams officially opened on July 21, 2024. A critical and financial success, attendance boomed and, before long, the resort became one of the world’s top vacation destinations.

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. In this Land of Dreams, the legacy of Walt Disney continues through the realms of adventure, fantasy, yesterday and tomorrow. In this celebration of our world’s past, present and future, we hope to find a new hope and understanding in communication and peace. May this Magic Kingdom be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. This is Your Land. This is Your Adventure.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVN4LBEm1OQ

As we draw near the end of Hollywood Boulevard, we come upon two of Hollywood Boulevard’s finest attractions, the first to the right, held within the iconic visage of the Grauman’s Chinese Theatre.

Re4tagwUw7p0_-4SmcyN0IeWqF2I0hJaJlU4e5rqjWiw8xuM8aJ-rdNWsJpYdNHnJlXPXIGIkyNLtV18bMhuPOHh9du93N9K1vs494vkfTO2KtyDzWIgxEQQErHeyVjNeVJq8wZn

Adventures in Cinema is an unforgettable journey through the world of the silver screen. As we skip past the usual box office fee, we are magically transported not into the interior of the theatre, but instead into the laboratory of Dr. Frederick Frankenstein - er, um… Fronk-En-Steen. Macabre music and whirring machines hint at an ongoing, perhaps dark experiment. Our suspicions prove true when Igor interrupts our tour, claiming the doctor’s latest invention to have the capability of transporting living matter - such as ourselves - into the very fabric of the cinematic world. Boarding the invention ourselves, we are immediately whisked into the reels of Hollywood’s best, from Gone with the Wind to The Wizard of Oz, ending in an outrageous movie crossover straight out of Blazing Saddles - because it is out of Blazing Saddles.

Those exiting (or passing by) Adventures in Cinema have the option to disembark from their vehicle following the ride’s finale and enjoy an HD-remastered viewing of Cinemagic, the now-lost attraction of Walt Disney Studios Paris. Now presented in English, Martin Short and Julie Delpy star in a romantic adventure for the ages, updated with new film clips, re-recorded dialogue and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5iTKjVWS8U

The other “fine” attraction found at the end of Hollywood Boulevard, sitting to the left, is held within the majestic Babylonian Palace, a fantastic, 5,000-seat theater inspired by the ruins and art of the ancient Middle East. Inside is an attraction so outrageous, so bizarre, so hysterical, that it has the longest name of any attraction in Disney’s storied history: Monty Python’s Spamalot, Presented by a Big Business Agreement Between Monty Python and Disney - But Not Dr. Graham Chapman. Spamalot, presented here in a one-act (and somewhat family-friendly) form, is an adaptation of the Broadway hit, where King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table search for the Holy Grail, encounter a Killer Rabbit, the near-indestructible Black Knight, the riff-happy Lady of the Lake, and the Knights Who Say “Nee.” Rousing musical numbers include “Knights of the Round Table” and of course, “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.”

Camelot Lot, a studio store in the artistic style of the weak-hearted Terry Gilliam sells all things Monty Python, a bit odd considering we’re in a family-oriented theme park.

IvGLlUU601Up_DKtKhG7fYfL7kD7u4082PN8MAqpw4ajCSRpuiwUjJ7Pfb_qxKOMum0ranrQ0Al0UcvTSqpHVAv247idzrh9xkEwoPe8d3kKofgkR60Aou63nhPAqwxLlHvJwFAJ

"Find Your Grail!"

Toontown, the first sub-land is next! Thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom