Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

tigsmom

garyhoov said:
*Checks sig*

Well now. You better get serious soon, shouldn't you? If you chicken out, we have the right to point and make fun of you.

j/k;) You seem to know as much as anybody about nutrition and what works for you. Are you following your own advice? Are there any areas that you know you could do better?

:lol:

Can I be better? Of course, couldn't we all?

I have metabolic syndrome (it runs in my family) and unfortunately it went undiagnosed for quite some time. Because of this I have developed the associated diseases/problems. I have been under treatment for 3 years and the medications make it very hard to lose weight (a few even cause weight gain!). Add to that the fact that my doctor tells me my metabolism is virtually non existant...well its very hard to lose weight. Nutrition I have no problem with. I'm one of those people who needs to exercise for hours on end 7 days a week to just keep from gaining weight. :(

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
tigsmom said:

Can I be better? Of course, couldn't we all?

I have metabolic syndrome (it runs in my family) and unfortunately it went undiagnosed for quite some time. Because of this I have developed the associated diseases/problems. I have been under treatment for 3 years and the medications make it very hard to lose weight (a few even cause weight gain!). Add to that the fact that my doctor tells me my metabolism is virtually non existant...well its very hard to lose weight. Nutrition I have no problem with. I'm one of those people who needs to exercise for hours on end 7 days a week to just keep from gaining weight. :(

Yeah. That must be tough. Here's a wacky idea: Do you think any of your friends might be interested in setting up an informal basketball team or something? I always find that if I do anything like that, I get so caught up that I don't think about what I'm doing . . . until I'm done and sore as ****.

I think I get a lot better work-out with something like that than I do if I get on a treadmill or excercise bike and watch the clock the whole time.

MouseMadness

I bet Mad can throw down on the basketball court!! All 5 feet of her!!

sports_012.gif

:lookaroun

tigsmom

garyhoov said:
Yeah. That must be tough. Here's a wacky idea: Do you think any of your friends might be interested in setting up an informal basketball team or something? I always find that if I do anything like that, I get so caught up that I don't think about what I'm doing . . . until I'm done and sore as ****.

I think I get a lot better work-out with something like that than I do if I get on a treadmill or excercise bike and watch the clock the whole time.

I'm a 48 y/o overweight white woman! I couldn't play basketball when I was young let alone now!

I'm the only SAH mom among my friends. After work & taking care of the kids (they all have younger kids) and the like....yeah...no.

I do the best I can. The other day I put on my mp3 player and hopped on the glider...45 minutes later I couldn't believe I was still alive! The weather is warming up so I'll be out and about more. We'll see what happens.

figmentmom

tigsmom said:

Wow - that must be discouraging. Congratulations to you, though, for dealing with it successfully, and keeping yourself healthy! :sohappy:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I'm at 192.5 this morning which is my low (I've been there twice before, but both times were Fridays, and both times I bounced back up over the weekend.

Hoping I can hit 190 sometime next week.

Actually eating foods that are low in fat and sugars seems to be working. Who'd have guessed?

MouseMadness

Craziness!! :eek: :lol: You should write a book.

Next you'll be telling us that cardiovascular exercise is good for your heart, or lifting weights gives you muscle tone! :rolleyes: :p

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
MouseMadness said:
Craziness!! :eek: :lol: You should write a book.

Next you'll be telling us that cardiovascular exercise is good for your heart, or lifting weights gives you muscle tone! :rolleyes: :p

Funny, but think about this: I see people all the time with a pile of roast beef, or a burger without a bun and, of course, they explain they're on Atkins or South Beach or some such thing. . .

. . . I can't remember the last time I saw someone eating a celery stick.:lookaroun

tigsmom

garyhoov said:

Funny, but think about this: I see people all the time with a pile of roast beef, or a burger without a bun and, of course, they explain they're on Atkins or South Beach or some such thing. . .

. . . I can't remember the last time I saw someone eating a celery stick.:lookaroun

*crunch*

Celery sticks with just a hint of PB or cream cheese. :slurp:

Great snack!

DarkImage4

I'm currently on metformin 2 times daily, the medication I was taken off of was amyril (sp?).

As for my progress..

416 to 416.5 last week
416.5 to 411.2 this week...

Another 5 pounds down...grand total is about 33 pounds!!!:sohappy:

tigsmom said:
How wonderful! :sohappy:

I went to the nutritionist yesterday and my weight stayed the same, which is good for me. Mind if I ask what diabetic meds you take? I have been on Glucophage XR for 3 years now and a few months ago they added Actos, my sugars are back under control, but the weight gain is a killer. :(

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
DarkImage4 said:
I'm currently on metformin 2 times daily, the medication I was taken off of was amyril (sp?).

As for my progress..

416 to 416.5 last week

Great! I was at 192.0 this morning, so that's the lowest I've been in the 2 years since I started tracking.

tigsmom

DarkImage4 said:

As for my progress..

416 to 416.5 last week

Ok, metformin is the generic name for Glucophage, my daughter takes it also, twice a day.
The XR (extended release, only taken once daily) doesn't come in generic form. The Amyril is another type that works the same way. Glad you could cut back.

Congratulations of your success! I myself have lost a modest 2 pounds this week, which really is a big thing for me. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom