Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

tigsmom

MouseMadness said:
Okay, here we go:

Myth of the Month: Cheating ruins your physique

By Chris Aceto

The truth: Cheating- eating many more calories than you normally do one day a week- can actually prevent your metabolism from dropping. It's the great paradox of dieting. When calories decline, levels of thyroid hormone, a major calorie-burner, also dip, as does leptin and hormone-sensitive lipase, an enzyme that helps banish bodyfat. Besides metabolism, there's muscle to consider; IGF-I, a hormone that supports muscle growth, retention and repair, also declines with prolonged dieting.

What to do: Every seven to ten days in a leaning out diet, double your carbohydrate consumption for one day. The sudden boost reverses the decline in metabolism while driving IGF-I levels back to normal, if not a little higher. This not only prevents "sticking points" in dieting, but ensures you'll maintain your muscle mass.

Interesting, it has a sound basis. They have said for a long time that people on reduction diets trigger the body's response to famine, (preserve what you have) which is why we have plateaus. Doubling the carbs wouldn't work for me, but I could up my protein/veggie consumption.

speck76

And by doubling the carbs, I would think that they do not mean doubling the BAD carbs...like donuts and cookies, rather the good carbs.

tigsmom

speck76 said:
And by doubling the carbs, I would think that they do not mean doubling the BAD carbs...like donuts and cookies, rather the good carbs.

Doubling any carbs would be dangerous for me.
I've been known to have a doughnut as the carb portion of my lunch...along with a large tossed salad & tuna, chicken or egg as the protein & a no cal beverage. For my body a carb is a carb is a carb; now if you want to talk healthy, thats another issue.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
MouseMadness said:
Okay, here we go:

Myth of the Month: Cheating ruins your physique

By Chris Aceto

The truth: Cheating- eating many more calories than you normally do one day a week- can actually prevent your metabolism from dropping. It's the great paradox of dieting. When calories decline, levels of thyroid hormone, a major calorie-burner, also dip, as does leptin and hormone-sensitive lipase, an enzyme that helps banish bodyfat. Besides metabolism, there's muscle to consider; IGF-I, a hormone that supports muscle growth, retention and repair, also declines with prolonged dieting.

What to do: Every seven to ten days in a leaning out diet, double your carbohydrate consumption for one day. The sudden boost reverses the decline in metabolism while driving IGF-I levels back to normal, if not a little higher. This not only prevents "sticking points" in dieting, but ensures you'll maintain your muscle mass.

Sort of related, but on a different track, I've heard that the best sign your spouse is cheating is if he\she goes on a diet or buys new underwear.

So of course Linda isn't worried.:lookaroun

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
tigsmom said:
Doubling any carbs would be dangerous for me.
I've been known to have a doughnut as the carb portion of my lunch...along with a large tossed salad & tuna, chicken or egg as the protein & a no cal beverage. For my body a carb is a carb is a carb; now if you want to talk healthy, thats another issue.
I think you need the occasional doughnut for your diet to work. If you don't allow yourself something like that on a limited basis, you'll eventually break, and then, in some cases, the whole diet goes out the window rather than accepting that some sins can be part of it.

JBSLJames

Original Poster
How did the weekends go? Still stuck on the same weight. Going into Carb-Free turbodrive. Whheeeeeeee...........e............................e...............................e

speck76

JBSLJames said:
How did the weekends go? Still stuck on the same weight. Going into Carb-Free turbodrive. Whheeeeeeee...........e............................e...............................e

Yeah...I need to lose a chin prior to the July meet :lookaroun

JBSLJames

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
No, I meant to spell it that way...a little excess...*sigh*

Gotcha. a comma would have helped me decipher the ancient greek text. . . :hammer: I took is as ". . .one up you butt. . ."

Had the Turkey and Bacon Wrap today from Subway with lettuce, pickles, jalepenos, and the Southwestern sauce :slurp:

Yummy.

Unfortunately, last night at PKI, I had some pizza and some 'Huckleberry Hound' Blueberry ice cream :kiss:

tigsmom

JBSLJames said:
Unfortunately, last night at PKI, I had some pizza and some 'Huckleberry Hound' Blueberry ice cream :kiss:

Some pizza & ice cream as in one slice and a small scoop or half a pie & half a gallon?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom