Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

MouseMadness

LMAO to both of you! :lol: :lol: :sohappy: :lol:

(laughing is supposed to be very good for burning calories and tightening your stomach muscles :lookaroun )

True story, 2 or 3 weeks after Kaitlyn was born, Andy and I went to see either Ace Ventura or Dumb and Dumber (I believe the latter). Anyhoo, we laughed like crazy people the whole way through, and my poor stomach, having just housed a baby, was soooooooooo sore the next day! :lol:

Okay, dumb story, maybe, but it is true! :lookaroun

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
How's everyone doing?

I just got on a scale for the first time in a year or more, and I'm a big, fat, obnoxious 207.22 pounds on a calibrated scales (with all my clothes on. I'm at work, so the naked thing might not go over too well). I've got a loooong way to go. I had been planning to try to lose a pound per week, but it looks like I'm going to have to shoot for 2 per week.

Anyone else interested? We need to get more than $50.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by MerHearted
In what? :confused:

Go back a few pages. We've currently got 5 people trying to lose weight/get in shape pledging to post a photo of themselves on this thread wearing a bathing suit or shorts and a T-Shirt on October 1st. For everyone who does it (up to a maximum of 50) I'm going to donate $10 to the Make a Wish foundation.

MerHearted

Originally posted by garyhoov
Go back a few pages. We've currently got 5 people trying to lose weight/get in shape pledging to post a photo of themselves on this thread wearing a bathing suit or shorts and a T-Shirt on October 1st. For everyone who does it (up to a maximum of 50) I'm going to donate $10 to the Make a Wish foundation.

Ummm... can I wear my seashell bikini? :lookaroun

MouseMadness

w00t!! Vince is gonna get buff! :sohappy:

Okay, so does anybody know of a reliable method of measuring body fat percentage (besides getting dunked in water)? I think that would be the best way for me to do this, since the scale is not reliable in my case. I go up and down so easily. I have lost a half inch off my waist since last time I checked. :)

btw, I'll (hopefully, and in all likelyhood) be in WDW October 1st!! :sohappy: So I have two reasons for my goal now.

JBSLJames

Original Poster
How's everyone doing?

I just got on a scale for the first time in a year or more, and I'm a big, fat, obnoxious 207.22 pounds on a calibrated scales (with all my clothes on. I'm at work, so the naked thing might not go over too well). I've got a loooong way to go. I had been planning to try to lose a pound per week, but it looks like I'm going to have to shoot for 2 per week.

Anyone else interested? We need to get more than $50.

207 fully dressed. Unless you are less than 5' 6", I would say that 207 isn't too bad. I am 225 right now at 5' 11" and I need to lose more, more, MORE. For those of you keeping score at home, that means I started this diet at the robust weight of 243 (yuck). Just keep dieting, just keep dieting. . . . . .

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by MouseMadness

Okay, so does anybody know of a reliable method of measuring body fat percentage (besides getting dunked in water)? I think that would be the best way for me to do this, since the scale is not reliable in my case. I go up and down so easily. I have lost a half inch off my waist since last time I checked. :)

Sorry, the only accurate method I know of is the water tank. I've seen pinching calipers, but I wouldn't trust them (and I think you have to know what you're doing to use them right).

Go for the shirtless toothbrushing. That should tell you more than any old fat % test.:lol:

Originally posted by JBSLJames
207 fully dressed. Unless you are less than 5' 6", I would say that 207 isn't too bad. I am 225 right now at 5' 11" and I need to lose more, more, MORE. For those of you keeping score at home, that means I started this diet at the robust weight of 243 (yuck). Just keep dieting, just keep dieting. . . . . .

I'm just a little over 5'8". I think 170 would be good for me, but if I really want to go for that Brad Pitt look, I'm going to have to shoot for about 160.

JBSLJames

Original Poster
I'm just a little over 5'8". I think 170 would be good for me, but if I really want to go for that Brad Pitt look, I'm going to have to shoot for about 160.

Yeah, my final goal is around 175 to 185. I figure, that way I'll live longer and be able to enjoy my life with the wife and kids for years to come.

MerHearted

I would certainly hope you would. Is that a yes?

Umm... I dunno. I've never been much of a dieter. Right now, I'm 5'9'' about 160 lbs. I just wanna build my upper body. I got girly arms. :lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Umm... I dunno. I've never been much of a dieter. Right now, I'm 5'9'' about 160 lbs. I just wanna build my upper body. I got girly arms. :lol:

That works. Christy's just working on firming up also.

The question is this: "Are you satisfied with how you look in a bathing suit?" If the answer is "yes", great! Good for you! Now go away and leave us flabbys in peace.

If the answer is "no", commit to posting a photo on October 1st and do whatever you need to so that you'll feel good about what you post.

MouseMadness

Is it weird that Andy told me my arms were getting "skinny and girly" a few months ago? :veryconfu :lol:

MerHearted

That works. Christy's just working on firming up also.

The question is this: "Are you satisfied with how you look in a bathing suit?" If the answer is "yes", great! Good for you! Now go away and leave us flabbys in peace.

If the answer is "no", commit to posting a photo on October 1st and do whatever you need to so that you'll feel good about what you post.

Well... for a mermaid, I think I'm pretty fine. ;)

But for a 22 year old Philly guy.. I prolly could use some work. Soooo, I guess I'm in. *hopes he doesn't regret this* :lookaroun

So how should I start this? What kind of workout should I do?

JBSLJames

Original Poster
If you are mainly concerned with your upper body, start working on the arms, chest and shoulders. It is pretty much a given that if you can increase your size in the deltoid and pec area, your waist 'looks' smaller. For arms I would suggest free weights and concentrate on dumbell curls, straight bar arm curls, chin-ups, tricep extensions (both dumbell and straight bar), and reverse dips. Do these in sets of three to five with 8 to 10 reps. To build size, the last set should be til exhaustion. For the chest, I would recommend Flat Bench Press, Inclined Bench Press, Push-ups, and dumbell flys. For the shoulders, I'd go with lateral raises (to the front and side), seated row, lat pull downs, and military press.

The sets and reps stand for each excercise. If these are the only areas you want to hit, you may alternate days: Arms and shoulders 1 day, Chest and back another.

Since I work on the lower body as well, I alternate upper body on one day and lower body on the other. I try and do at least 35 minutes on the eliptical each workout and also do ab work 3 to 5 days a week.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Well... for a mermaid, I think I'm pretty fine. ;)

But for a 22 year old Philly guy.. I prolly could use some work. Soooo, I guess I'm in. *hopes he doesn't regret this* :lookaroun

So how should I start this? What kind of workout should I do?

:sohappy: That makes 6 people and $60.

Judd gave you some good advice. The one thing I'd clarify (Judd did mention it but didn't emphasize it) is the key to making progress is pushing through at the very end. Say you're doing curls and you've just done 10 and are ready to put the weights down, ask yourself: "If someone offered me a million dollars, could I do one more?" If so, do one more, and then another if you can. Your body is stronger than your brain allows it to be. Your brain quits long before your body does, and pushing yourself through that point is the key to building muscle rather than just toning and burning calories.

If you want to come over to Mount Laurel sometime, I think I can get guests into my Ballys. I'd be happy to take you around and show you some techniques.

My progress report: I decided to use a different scale that only goes to 0.5 pound increments so I don't get frustrated with short term fluctuations. I checked myself on the same scale I used yesterday and then on this different one, and I'm at 205.5.

I'm sure most of that is short term fluctuation (I probably hadn't taken a good p00p yet yesterday), but I'm going to weigh myself every weekday morning and chart my progress. I've got to try to get to at least 170 by October, but I'd really like to shoot for 160.

MouseMadness

I dunno if I'd feel comfortable in a gym, all those buff guys and me and my mermaid arms. :lol:

Eh, go in the mornings. It's all homemakers ( :wave: ) and old people. :lol: I am hoping once school starts up again next year I can get my gym membership back. I was paying more for daycare than for my actual membership! :eek: So maybe when the three oldest are gone all day I can do that again. For now I'm stuck at home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom