Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

tigsmom

garyhoov said:

I haven't actually measured it, and I have some muscle so that will probably affect what my ultimate weight should be, but the bottom line is I've clearly got a lot of fat no matter how you look at it. All I have to do is look in the mirror to tell that.

Sorry to hear you won't be in on the 1st. I'll take you off my sig, but don't give up.

You use a gym, right? Have you talked to a trainer? They can measure for you and then point you in the right direction for more fat burning exercises. A change in diet may actually be needed also.

As much as I would like to, I can't give up...when I do I'll be dead, plain & simple. What they have wanted me to do hasn't worked in 3 years, Now I think its time for me to do what I think is best... we shall see.

barnum42

garyhoov said:
Oh, and I could be talked into pushing the date back.

(as long as I have someone else to blame it on):zipit:

Push!

Push%201.jpg

;)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
tigsmom said:
You use a gym, right? Have you talked to a trainer? They can measure for you and then point you in the right direction for more fat burning exercises. A change in diet may actually be needed also.

They'll do a body fat analysis, but I don't know if I really want to know.:eek:

I did change my diet about 4 weeks ago, and that has been a big help. I've completely cut out soda with sugar (I was drinking 2 or 3 cans a day - which was down from 4 or 5 that I was drinking for most of my life:eek: )

I haven't had a cheeseburger (or really any beef or pork) for the past 4 weeks. I've greatly limited cheese and dairy and try to eat fish, chicken, vegetables and fruit primarily with low fat suaces etc.

I have been lifting lighter weights for more reps (more because I hurt my back than by design - but I know that should be better for weight loss, and I'll try to stick with it even when my back is feeling better).

I'm stubborn enough that when I decide to do something, I can do it, and it is working, so I probably shouldn't be such a whiner. Unfortunately I'm also an impatient person and the realization that, even if I do everything right it's going to be probably 4 or 5 months of constant diligence until I can get to where I want to be, is frustrating.

Compared to most people my age, I'm probably very, very healthy, so I need to keep that in mind and not be a baby, but I am getting tired of being a big, fat guy.

tigsmom

garyhoov said:
They'll do a body fat analysis, but I don't know if I really want to know.:eek:

I did change my diet about 4 weeks ago, and that has been a big help. I've completely cut out soda with sugar (I was drinking 2 or 3 cans a day - which was down from 4 or 5 that I was drinking for most of my life:eek: )

I haven't had a cheeseburger (or really any beef or pork) for the past 4 weeks. I've greatly limited cheese and dairy and try to eat fish, chicken, vegetables and fruit primarily with low fat suaces etc.

I have been lifting lighter weights for more reps (more because I hurt my back than by design - but I know that should be better for weight loss, and I'll try to stick with it even when my back is feeling better).

I'm stubborn enough that when I decide to do something, I can do it, and it is working, so I probably shouldn't be such a whiner. Unfortunately I'm also an impatient person and the realization that, even if I do everything right it's going to be probably 4 or 5 months of constant diligence until I can get to where I want to be, is frustrating.

Compared to most people my age, I'm probably very, very healthy, so I need to keep that in mind and not be a baby, but I am getting tired of being a big, fat guy.

Don't be a weenie..have it done! :lol:

You have never come across to me (in your pictures) as a "big fat guy". Whatever you have you carry well, but you are the one living in that body so you are the one who has to be happy with it... in that I share your pain.

So many people have said they lost weight by doing nothing else but cutting out soda. I'm trying not to keep any in the house, but I only drink diet anyway. A few a week is all I have now. I live on unsweetened iced tea and water.

Beef and pork are still good for you so have it if you want. Just don't go for the fried, full fat stuff. I grill my own burgers from ground round or sirloin and I won't give up my occasional steak. A nice roast loin of pork with olive oil, garlic and rosemary is to die for! Add some roasted veggies to that and I'm in heaven! :slurp:

I stopped lifting weights (just my little 5 pounders), but I'm going back to them because I know they work for me. We are all impatient, but good health should be our ultimate goal and anything else is.....well...just icing on the cake! :lol:

And think of the example you are setting for your son! :sohappy:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Thanks for the kind words and good advice.:)

tigsmom said:
And think of the example you are setting for your son! :sohappy:

I'm trying to get him to eat more fruits and vegetables, but his habits aren't too bad. He doesn't drink much soda, and the real key is he doesn't eat too much.

I blame my parents for some of my weight problems because they were very anti-wasteful and made us clean our plates. And if we couldn't eat it all, they would make us: "At least eat the expensive part." so I would sit there choking down the last bit of burger meat even if it made me sick.

Now, when I get a big meal in a restaurant, I have a hard time leaving anything. My rational mind tells me it's better to leave it in the garbage than carry it around in extra fat, but I have a psycological flaw now that makes me stuff myself.

I've always told Ryan to just eat what he wants, and the rest we either throw out or take home. Sometimes he eats a lot, and sometimes he just nibbles, but he eats what his body needs rather than whatever happens to be in front of him, so I think that's much better than me.

MouseMadness

garyhoov said:
Oh, and I could be talked into pushing the date back.

(as long as I have someone else to blame it on):zipit:

You may blame me. :) I get blamed for everything around home, why should here be any different. :lol: :lookaroun

garyhoov said:
I'm trying to get him to eat more fruits and vegetables, but his habits aren't too bad. He doesn't drink much soda, and the real key is he doesn't eat too much.

I blame my parents for some of my weight problems because they were very anti-wasteful and made us clean our plates. And if we couldn't eat it all, they would make us: "At least eat the expensive part." so I would sit there choking down the last bit of burger meat even if it made me sick.

Now, when I get a big meal in a restaurant, I have a hard time leaving anything. My rational mind tells me it's better to leave it in the garbage than carry it around in extra fat, but I have a psycological flaw now that makes me stuff myself.

I've always told Ryan to just eat what he wants, and the rest we either throw out or take home. Sometimes he eats a lot, and sometimes he just nibbles, but he eats what his body needs rather than whatever happens to be in front of him, so I think that's much better than me.

My kids are the same way. They are "grazers" which is a HUGE pain in the hiney for me, but from what I am reading, is much better for them. So I'm constantly getting snacks and most of what I make for dinner ends up in the fridge as leftovers, but *shrug* that's okay.

Gary, I have read several times that, when you go out to eat, you should ask for a box right away and just put in half of it, since half is about the amount our portions should be.

But I am all about the cutting out of "soda" (pop :lookaroun) Even diet. All that artificial crap can't be much better for us than sugar, no matter how tasty. :lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
MouseMadness said:
You may blame me. :) I get blamed for everything around home, why should here be any different. :lol: :lookaroun

Okay, I'm on the verge of changing it to July 1st. We'll see if anyone else checks in.

MouseMadness said:
Gary, I have read several times that, when you go out to eat, you should ask for a box right away and just put in half of it, since half is about the amount our portions should be.

Yeah, if I was rational, I could do that . . . but the same part of my brain that is screaming: "GO! Go! GO!" when I'm forcing down those last few bites would slap me if I did something like that.:lookaroun

mrtoad

I am good for July 1 considering my body has been in a holding pattern for about a month and a half. Not sure why, I have not changed what I was doing. I have lost 29 lbs but kind of stopped there, only another 34 to go until my first goal...:cry:

Regarding the finishing/not finishing all that is on your plate. I am way guilty of not wasting it. I find myself finishing not only what is on my plate but what is on my daughters because I hate to waste it. It is awful but I hate wasting money. Mad habbit that is really hard to break.

MouseMadness

:lol: :hammer:

Oh, and I'll make this really simple, if we want... :lookaroun

Gary! Change that date in your sig to July first! :mad:

:lol: :lookaroun

If nothing else, there's a better chance we may have a tan by then. :cool: (Well, not just-this-side-of-albino-me, but the rest of you, maybe :lookaroun :eek: )

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
mrtoad said:
I am good for July 1 considering my body has been in a holding pattern for about a month and a half. Not sure why, I have not changed what I was doing. I have lost 29 lbs but kind of stopped there, only another 34 to go until my first goal...:cry:

Regarding the finishing/not finishing all that is on your plate. I am way guilty of not wasting it. I find myself finishing not only what is on my plate but what is on my daughters because I hate to waste it. It is awful but I hate wasting money. Mad habbit that is really hard to break.

Don't get frustrated. You're halfway there.

Oh, and Sig has been changed.;)

(Christy sort of scared me:lookaroun )

mrtoad

Thanks. I am not really frustrated just a little dissapointed. I am hoping with better weather to be more active which will help.

garyhoov said:
Don't get frustrated. You're halfway there.

Oh, and Sig has been changed.;)

(Christy sort of scared me:lookaroun )

tigsmom

mrtoad said:

Fantastic! :sohappy:

Don't worry about plateaus, its your body's way of re setting itself. Just keep on doing what you are doing.

I'm another one who grew up with the finish everything on your plate mentality. I've tried not to pass it on to my kids. My little one is a grazer and it drives me insane!

I like leftovers though, they make a great lunch for the next day. :lol:

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
Same here - came of having parents that went through rationing during and after World War II.

Ah yes, the children were starving in Europe. Of course that was the line in the 60s. :lol:

MouseMadness

Another happy side effect of my diet/exercise: I have no heartburn anymore! :sohappy: I can eat the spiciest anything and *shrug* I dunno, I'm just fine now. :sohappy:

DarkImage4

MouseMadness said:
Another happy side effect of my diet/exercise: I have no heartburn anymore! :sohappy: I can eat the spiciest anything and *shrug* I dunno, I'm just fine now. :sohappy:

Me too! I used to live on Pepto and Tums, now, not so much...

My update:

400.2 to 401.6 last week...
401.6 to 395.4 this week...

I FINALLY MADE IT!!!!! WOO HOOO...UNDER 400!!:sohappy:

My total as of 5/10 is 47 pounds!

Next goal 392 for a total of 50 lbs...

tigsmom

DarkImage4 said:
Me too! I used to live on Pepto and Tums, now, not so much...

My update:

400.2 to 401.6 last week...
401.6 to 395.4 this week...

I FINALLY MADE IT!!!!! WOO HOOO...UNDER 400!!:sohappy:

My total as of 5/10 is 47 pounds!

Next goal 392 for a total of 50 lbs...

120103_emA61_prv1.gif

minnie2000

Well - I should have read the whole thread before asking this question, but I can't face 138 pages!

Is the south beach diet the same as the GI diet? I have been starting to follow this, but would be grateful for any tips, or websites that offer support and answer questions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom