Downtown Disney expansion to be officially announced Tuesday 12 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My question: where is everyone going to park while the 2 new garges are built? You really can't afford to loose 2 lots. Parking already sucks there!!
I do not know for sure, but the lot behind Cirque is largely unused most of the time. If that is the location of one of the garages they could build that one first and have a minimal effect on the current parking situation. I also seem to remember some of the early plans having the parking garages located on the other side of the street.

Ignohippo

I would just like to see them build this expansion in a hurry, rather in typical taking-their-slow--time fashion.

Considering the nosedive sales are probably going to take at DTD while construction is going on, I imagine they'll be kicking this expansion into high gear.

The parks on the other hand are another deal completely. There's actually a benefit to them spreading things out. They can spread the expansions over the budgets of several years and they get guests returning year after year to visit the new offerings.

djlaosc

I just don't understand why people travel in order to shop.

Because some of us cannot buy things in our own country that you can buy in yours...

In 2005, I bought 2 GameCube games that I could not get in my country that I could in yours, one at Music for Less at what was then Belz Factory Outlets, and one at from GameStop at the Florida Mall.

In 2007, when Virgin Megastore was there, I bought 11 CDs that I could not get in my country that I could in yours. On that same trip, I also bought 4 further CDs in fye in the Florida Mall.

In 2011, I bought 3 CDs that I could not get in my country that I could in yours from fye at Mall at Millenia.

Of course, I could have imported them using Amazon (this Christmas I bought 11 DVDs and 6 CDs from Amazon or sellers on there - can't get the items in this country), but it was a case of "while I'm out there" instead of paying for postage for every item (postage which has again just gone up again recently.)

For my next trip in 2014, I already have 1 book, 1 DVD and 1 CD on my list to buy, even if I have to order from Amazon and get them delivered to the hotel, because I cannot get them in my country, they are too heavy to ship, and too expensive because our customs limit has again been reduced.

Clothes, you just buy because they are nice, and they are cheaper than at home (not that I've bought a lot of clothes out there (a jacket, a couple of t-shirts and a couple of pairs of jeans) - all from the outlets over 4 trips).

I would guess in the US, it will all be about each state's/county's percentage compared to that of Orlando.

But, as of now, there doesn't seem to be any sign that there will be shops that I can buy this kind of thing at Disney Springs, so I just won't shop there then...

mickey2008.1

Jumping around here, but why does disney always say they are going to have an announcement only not to have it? This is a recurring theme with them, and it downright frustrates me. What, are they still deciding on what to do at the last minute, which is completely nonsense. My point is, stop announcing that you going to announce something only not to. In my book, i only believe maybe 10% of what they say will happen, if that. Great, build a mall and restaurants, who cares. Just make iot happen and quit blowing smoke up my already. Talk, Talk, talk is all they do. Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

djlaosc

Because you live in a country without huge taxes, duties, and tarrifs. If you lived in another country where EVERYTHING imported had a 10-50% duty/tarriff put on it.. you'd be interested too :)

'Duty Free' shops don't mean much to americans for this very reason.. where for most other countries they are a big deal in airports.

Exactly - our "sale tax" is 20%, if we import anything over £15 (currently $21.60), we have to pay 20% of that price on top of the cost as "VAT and import tax", and then we have to pay a further £12 ($17.28) in administration fees (ie, the postman drops a bit of paper through your letter box telling you to pickup your item, and that costs you $17.28)

Ignohippo

I do not know for sure, but the lot behind Cirque is largely unused most of the time. If that is the location of one of the garages they could build that one first and have a minimal effect on the current parking situation. I also seem to remember some of the early plans having the parking garages located on the other side of the street.

From what I can tell from the original site plan, the only lot really affected may be the Marketplace lot by WoD. The PI lot is going to become shops and the bus stop, so hopefully they will wait to close that lot until the Marketplace garage is open.

Given the 16-19 month timeline though, that may not be possible. If they close both the PI and Marketplace lots at the same time, there won't be anyplace near the Marketplace to park. If that's the case, their sales are going to take a serious tumble for the next year and a half. I can't imagine TDO would let that happen.

Not sure about parking on the West Side, but there is ample parking on that side. I can't see them closing more parking to work on another garage, so I imagine the Marketplace garage will open before they start working on the West Side one.

djlaosc

Everyone I know in England that travels to Orlando has shopping in their plans. It goes something like: sunshine, parks, restaurants and shopping. The savings on electronics and clothing are significant. DTD is going to cater for that.

As long as they have shops we want...

Genie of the Lamp

Well if I were Disney, I'd announce this project to the public on Friday. Reason I say that is cause it would be the end of the week so they can end the week on a good note, have momentum going into the next week,etc. It seems like the weather is calling for a 75 degree sunny day so it would make for a perfect announcement setting held at the Waterside stage theater in the Marketplace. Yeah I'm not a shopoholic (hate shopping) either but clearly they're are members here and elsewhere who think/believe otherwise and more power to them since they're correct in that International guests in particular love to shop till they drop.

Rob562

I understand why foreigners do, we have everything here and the dollar is cheap and the Euro is strong. They get much more for their $$ here. But for Americans, I don't understand that when there is a Sephora in every mall across America.

I know that both my mother and sister like to go clothes shopping when they visit me here in Massachusetts. Since we don't have sales tax on clothing and shoes like they do in Virginia, it's like an instant 5% discount for them. (And depending on what time of year they visit, the stores up here tend to carry cold-weather coats and clothing longer than down in Virginia, so if they're looking for something like that they can often only get it up here)

Do they plan a trip up here just to shop? Of course not. But they do take a few hours of their trip and hit the mall or other nearby clothing stores while they're in the area. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for people who are on vacation and have a similar financial benefit to shopping while they're there.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't really go clothes shopping on a trip to Disney unless it was something I found I needed on the trip or it was Disney merchandise I couldn't get at home. The sales tax would mean I'd be paying *more* for that item of clothing than at home.

-Rob

tracyandalex

Exactly - our "sale tax" is 20%, if we import anything over £15 (currently $21.60), we have to pay 20% of that price on top of the cost as "VAT and import tax", and then we have to pay a further £12 ($17.28) in administration fees (ie, the postman drops a bit of paper through your letter box telling you to pickup your item, and that costs you $17.28)

Wow! As a Floridian I want to thank you for shopping here keeping our overall sales taxes and the like low and for keeping Floridians from having to pay state income tax! I now get why folks get so excited about duty free.

tracyandalex

I know that both my mother and sister like to go clothes shopping when they visit me here in Massachusetts. Since we don't have sales tax on clothing and shoes like they do in Virginia, it's like an instant 5% discount for them.

Do they plan a trip up here just to shop? Of course not. But they do take a few hours of their trip and hit the mall or other nearby clothing stores while they're in the area. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for people who are on vacation and have a similar financial benefit to shopping while they're there.

-Rob

When I moved from NJ to Fla I was not aware of sales tax on clothes and as a mere college freshman boy was I surprised the first time I went to the mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom