Downtown Disney expansion to be officially announced Tuesday 12 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Two things: first, we don't KNOW what stores/restaurants are coming in as of this morning. I think it's unfair to judge the lineup before we have a definitive tenant list. Sure, it's fun to pile on CF, but there's zero indication CF will be a part of Disney Springs.

Second, I don't go to WDW to ride Dumbo, but it's still very, very popular. A lot of people DO come to WDW with a visit to the mall on their agenda. Premium Outlets is or recently was like the #4 attraction in Florida. Millenia and Florida Mall are swamped with (often international) tourists by the busload. If TDO is going for a "trap them on property" approach, this is a logical step. You need to mention Orlando malls in the same breath as Harry Potter when you discuss the competition.
This is quite true. I have seen many an international tourist leave with large quantities of merchandise. We had a family from Brazil next to us last October and they purchased everything from clothes, small appliances, multiple laptops, Xboxes, PS3s, i-you name it, etc.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well it depends on your time value of money, of course! ;)

You know the reason that I got stuck in this temporal back water is that in the future (2698) everyone gets incredibly rich from investing small amounts of money in the past and then collecting the interest in the future. Well, you can imagine what happened when the big banks figured this out. Boom! Time travel is banned and I'm trapped here with a bunch of "slack jawed troglodytes" (thanks Mr. Burns).

71jason

AC as it used to be would not work as a restaurant. But I do agree that it could be changed sufficiently to operate as a dinner show multiple times per night and then maybe a late show without a meal but two drink minimum. Sure, the surprise on unsuspecting guests wandering in would not be there but there's enough material to make a fun show out of it. And it would be unique.

But it wouldn't be unique--it would be Hoop-De-Doo (or worse, the far inferior Jekyll & Hyde Club). The strength of the AC wasn't its corny shows (which you know would be neutered and sanitized in a family dinner show) or its paper-thin characters (who would also be toned down) ... it was the interaction with the actors, and the totally immersive environment. You'll lose that at a dinner show where the staff is more interested in turning over tables in 90 minutes. There's a difference between a "cocktail party" and a "dinner party"--AC was the former.

Also, yes, a lot of the humor came from unsuspecting guests. That or the improv skills of the cast. You lose both those things in a dinner show, as well as a lot of the immersive theming (at least the chance for guests to lose themselves in the theming).

71jason

This is quite true. I have seen many an international tourist leave with large quantities of merchandise. We had a family from Brazil next to us last October and they purchased everything from clothes, small appliances, multiple laptops, Xboxes, PS3s, i-you name it, etc.

My brother manages a TJ Maxx 10 minutes from WDW ... he can barely keep luggage in stock during the busy season. International guests buy suitcases then buy clothes to fill them up for the trip home. Shopping is a huge part of the "Orlando experience."

Would I rather see a nightlife area than a mall? Yes (not that the two are incompatible at all). Do I think WDW can truly compete with Premium/Millenia? Remains to be seen. But I absolutely understand why they are trying, and it makes sense for the bottom line.

DisneyGuyNYC

Two things: first, we don't KNOW what stores/restaurants are coming in as of this morning. I think it's unfair to judge the lineup before we have a definitive tenant list. Sure, it's fun to pile on CF, but there's zero indication CF will be a part of Disney Springs.

Second, I don't go to WDW to ride Dumbo, but it's still very, very popular. A lot of people DO come to WDW with a visit to the mall on their agenda. Premium Outlets is or recently was like the #4 attraction in Florida. Millenia and Florida Mall are swamped with (often international) tourists by the busload. If TDO is going for a "trap them on property" approach, this is a logical step. You need to mention Orlando malls in the same breath as Harry Potter when you discuss the competition.
I just don't understand why people travel in order to shop.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My brother manages a TJ Maxx 10 minutes from WDW ... he can barely keep luggage in stock during the busy season. International guests buy suitcases then buy clothes to fill them up for the trip home. Shopping is a huge part of the "Orlando experience."

Would I rather see a nightlife area than a mall? Yes (not that the two are incompatible at all). Do I think WDW can truly compete with Premium/Millenia? Remains to be seen. But I absolutely understand why they are trying, and it makes sense for the bottom line.
I think they will providing that they can get enough name brand stores with comparable prices. A cab ride from WDW to Millennium or even the Outlet malls is not cheep. If guests can get the same items via a free bus ride from their resort DTD expansion will be a huge success.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just don't understand why people travel in order to shop.

Because you live in a country without huge taxes, duties, and tarrifs. If you lived in another country where EVERYTHING imported had a 10-50% duty/tarriff put on it.. you'd be interested too :)

'Duty Free' shops don't mean much to americans for this very reason.. where for most other countries they are a big deal in airports.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Perhaps I just don't have any interest in that kind of shopping.
Neither do I. For the most part I am fine as long as I have a Publix, Home Depot, Best Buy and a Game Stop, but there are droves of people that just love to shop. Who am I to argue for Disney wanting a piece of that obsessive shopper pie.

DisneyGuyNYC

Because you live in a country without huge taxes, duties, and tarrifs. If you lived in another country where EVERYTHING imported had a 10-50% duty/tarriff put on it.. you'd be interested too :)

'Duty Free' shops don't mean much to americans for this very reason.. where for most other countries they are a big deal in airports.
I lived abroad for quite a while. I understand this I just don't think it makes for a fun vacation or financial sense when your shipping it all back home.

DisneyGuyNYC

Neither do I. For the most part I am fine as long as I have a Publix, Home Depot, Best Buy and a Game Stop, but there are droves of people that just love to shop. Who am I to argue for Disney wanting a piece of that obsessive shopper pie.
Well of course they do I just wish they'd spend their energy elsewhere.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I lived abroad for quite a while. I understand this I just don't think it makes for a fun vacation or financial sense when your shipping it all back home.

Do you not get excited at christmas when you get new gifts?
They come here with extra suitcases, or even buy extra suitcases here, fill them up, and take them home.

If you spend $100 for a suitcase and baggage fees.. and save $500+ dollars in duties... of course it makes financial sense.

DisneyGuyNYC

Do you not get excited at christmas when you get new gifts?
They come here with extra suitcases, or even buy extra suitcases here, fill them up, and take them home.

If you spend $100 for a suitcase and baggage fees.. and save $500+ dollars in duties... of course it makes financial sense.
I mean the value you spend per hour of your trip wasted on shopping instead of everything else you could be doing.

DisneyGuyNYC

They are putting their energy where they see the most financial return.
Yes I understand I'm just saying that this is the kind of thinking that gave us the shopping in WDW where every kart and store has the same 20 items for sale.

I'm lamenting the trend away from themed entertainment and towards slightly themed mall. They'll make a buck but I just wish they'd spend the energy and time elsewhere.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I mean the value you spend per hour of your trip wasted on shopping instead of everything else you could be doing.
Just because you do not see value in it does not mean that it does not have value to someone else. I am sure there are plenty of things that you do that would bore me to tears and vice versa. It does not mean that the entire world should bend to the tastes of an individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom