Downtown Disney expansion to be officially announced Tuesday 12 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyPeace

That one's been closed. There's one in the Village now though.

For Bubba Gump they'd need to get the rights from Paramount.

Edit: CORRECTION There's a different location near Time Square open! Huh! Look at that! Also a werewolf bar. Guess where I'll be this weekend?

Yes the one on 6th ave closed. Village is still open. Times Square opened about a month ago. Very cool theme inside. A bit more elegant in a touristy way. There is also Times Scare a block away for more macabre dining and entertainment.

Virtual Toad

AC as it used to be would not work as a restaurant. But I do agree that it could be changed sufficiently to operate as a dinner show multiple times per night and then maybe a late show without a meal but two drink minimum. Sure, the surprise on unsuspecting guests wandering in would not be there but there's enough material to make a fun show out of it. And it would be unique.

I'm split on the Dinner Show idea. If WDW did it, it would be along the lines of the Hoop-Dee-Doo. Enjoyable, but very rushed. There would be little time for character development and the hilarious mini-plots that developed nightly in the original "club" environment. Not being able to poke (harmless) fun at clueless tourists would also diminish the experience.

As to it working in a theme park, yes, I visited frequently and yes, I do think it could work. Put it in Adventureland, have rotating shows, have a main salon with tourists stumbling in, and best of all have the club characters roam Adventureland to provide additional entertainment (streetmousphere!) throughout the day.

Things would have to be altered (a bit) to make it more family-friendly... but I think it could work. Kind of like the Golden Horseshoe but with continual entertainment.

IMO, if WDW did something like this it would garner a ton of goodwill.

Or, you know, just give us Pleasure Island back.

StarWarsGirl

I agree, I never understood the nostalgia for that ride, it wasn't even in good shape, basically a bunch of cutouts and black lights. That's the exact reason I would always skip FL.
It never had a long wait. Replacing it made so much sense. We've got an awesome video that WDWMagic shot before it closed, so it lives forever. Classic Disney fans liked it for nostalgic reasons, but we've got better rides (Peter Pan, Small World, Dumbo) that we can keep around for nostalgia.

Ignohippo

Does anyone have an updated site plan? Lee?

Does anyone know if the Lego Store is affected? The location was in orange on the plans that were posted last week (which means it is changing).

articos

The area has been a mess since they added Westside, so it really won't be all that different.
Touché. :)
That sounds like typical Disney Phase II talk ... and likely means they haven't hammered out any deal with officials, so they want to start construction and show what a mess they have and hope they'll get taxpayer funds. If they want it, then they should pay for it!
Point to 74. Again.
I expect that i'll enjoy the Mine Train when it opens. But a "major" new addition to the Magic Kingdom it definitely is not. That would be something of the caliber of Splash Mountain or Big Thunder. Splash was really the last major addition to the park. I'd also readily argue that no single attraction added to WDW as a whole since Splash has been able to top it. There have been good major additions to WDW, but Splash was the last best single ride added to WDW IMHO.
I won't prod you for more specific info on the ride. But my main wonder is whether this so called ride is an E Ticket based on the Disney company's own current standards and definition of the ticketing system, or if it's an actual true E Ticket based on what was once considered worthy of E status and what fans like you and I think is worthy of that. I'm asking because the company's idea of what constitutes a ride being E has been dumbed down immensely over the last decade or two. It's vastly different than what once constituted such a ranking (and what we still see as E Tickets). I heard both Disney employees and lifestylers have attempted to claim both Mermaid and the Dwarf Coaster E Tickets (which they definitely are not regardless of how good or bad people think they are).
Mine Train will be a nice, fun little ride with great visuals just based on the scale of the ride. Regarding Avatar as an E, it will be an E based on two words: Jim. Cameron. See also: @DisneyGuyNYC's comment after yours, answering someone else. He's got it.
If I had to bet, I'd say it's the Soarin' clone, which would not make me happy (Avatar in general doesn't, but that's another story.) Soarin' is an E-ticket by their standards, so I would assume this would also qualify.

And though I do love Soarin', a screen with dust and hairs on it with little else does not constitute an immerse, E-ticket environment completely taking me to another place or time.
It is not a Soarin' clone, and I would not expect it to be.

StarWarsGirl

For a company who considers itself the cornerstone of creativity, it's amazing how uncreative and uninspired it is.

It's especially a shame considering how good the name Downtown Disney is.
Maybe they just want to distinguish it from Disneyland's Downtown Disney. Though we had it first...

I can't really judge though. I've had three semesters of creative writing, four of journalism, and I STILL cannot come up with a decent title for anything.
Journalism teacher: What's a good headline for your story?
Me: Um...*blah blah blah*
Journalism teacher: You got anything better?
Me: Nope.

RunnerEd

So back to Disney Springs and the restaurant offerings. It would really be nice if they would put in a "brew pub" or at least specialized in craft brews, preferably local. I don't know how the local O-town brewery scene so the last part may not be such a great idea. I absolutely love craft brews and would love a place to sample on vacation at WDW.

doctornick

It is not a Soarin' clone, and I would not expect it to be.

Do you mean "it's not an attraction where you are suspended in front of a movie screen" or "it's superficially similar to Soarin' but so much more such that it's silly to call it a 'clone'"?

Anyway, I'm hoping for one great E-ticket draw and a smaller attraction for any Pandora land. I don't care if the smaller thing is a simple flat ride (that is well themed) but there needs to be more attractions at DAK.

WDW1974

Well that's more news than we've had recently at least. And it's different than the most recent previous news as well. As I recall, the original rumors had an E Ticket "bike" coaster or something like that with a couple of smaller scale attractions (like a Soarin clone or whatever). Then the second wave of rumors indicated severe budget cuts, apparently the E ticket was scrapped and instead there was just going to be a Soarin type ride and some kind of boat ride. And now they've gone back to an "E ticket" again.

I won't prod you for more specific info on the ride. But my main wonder is whether this so called ride is an E Ticket based on the Disney company's own current standards and definition of the ticketing system, or if it's an actual true E Ticket based on what was once considered worthy of E status and what fans like you and I think is worthy of that. I'm asking because the company's idea of what constitutes a ride being E has been dumbed down immensely over the last decade or two. It's vastly different than what once constituted such a ranking (and what we still see as E Tickets). I heard both Disney employees and lifestylers have attempted to claim both Mermaid and the Dwarf Coaster E Tickets (which they definitely are not regardless of how good or bad people think they are).

I really don't have specifics. I could have asked, but have opted not to since the info comes from multiple sources, I'll go with it. But since all the changes of this still non-existent project, I just am beyond caring right now. Disney will do 'whatever' and my reaction will likely be 'whatever.'

Mermaid would be a D-Ticket (barely), but doesn't look like one to me.

Coaster would likely be a C Ticket, but I'm still calling it a B.

These are not great state of the art attractions. They're basic, dull and just there to give guests more attractions to do in a day.

John

Just want to throw my nickles worth in here....why a nickle...its WDW...everything is over priced. As far as the plans that have been shown ( thanks @Lee ) I think they are very ambitious....maybe a little overly ambitious if you ask me. I really start to worry when I hear Ssteve mention "future plans". I keep thinking how in the world is Disney going to builsd something like this in 16 to 19 months?...is that something like dog years? I think the plans look wonderful. Although like most I just see retail store after retail store. That too worries me. What happens is you get repetition of stores and merch. That with the cost of a lease tends to lead to stores closeing and like with any "mall" there is nothing worse then shuttered shops. Is it possible that they are over building? Also with useing third party vendors there is very little uniqueness to it. Is the WOW factor in the facades?

Also wheres the entertainment? This size of a Disney project and there isnt any real news of entertainment? I have almost zero hope of any type of reincarnation of the AC. I wish there was but it just isnt in the cards. So ok Disney give us something. Even a mall can have a club or two. You say you want to cater to families with kiddies. Got news for ya.....kiddies go to bed early.....whats going to happen at DS at night? ( notice I am going to start calling it Disney Springs...DS this should make jt happy) All these guest isnt going to fit into Splitsville and the few small places such as Raglan. Just had an Idea....maybe the new PH will make space for some dancing?

Now for the mention of a third party will operate the mall.....this I hate. A third party will just perpetuate the mall idea even more. They wont give a mouses tail about Disney and the "Disney way"....ok maybe that died long ago, but hey I like nostalgia. You might not like what DS is today but it still has heart....although barely beating. Make WOD ( Ear Mart) BIGGER? All I can say is why? Because there isnt enough generic crap already? You already need a compass and map when you go in there now. BTW...why dont they have shopping carts in there? Heck they should model it after Costco...get some of those flat carts, buy in bulk. I will take a half a dozen mickey ears....ten of those tee shirts....half dozen vynilmations and you will be able to buy pins by the pound.

Lastly I keep hereing that they are building this to attract the "international" tourist? Honestly I dont think I remember seeing a large number of them there....yes I have seen some. But never the flag waving band of maurauders I have seen at the parks. Usaually just the mullet wearing pixie eyed zombies walking around with thier debt cards in hand mumbling something about buying a snowglobe. I think some national chains can fit there....but cant they give us something reminicent (*sp) of the Disney Village....cant we get something unique like some craft shops. How about an Antique store? Heck even a florist.

They really are missing out here with a nightlife presence. If you built some really cool clubs, guest would want to buy some over priced trendy clothes to "go out" that night. Buy some fab shoes....go to the Ulta for some new makeup. Damm Disney....do I have to think of everything?

dhall

Lots of people like familiar food. This is also the reason WDW has TWO Rainforest Cafes.

Cheesecake Factory would be a smart match for DTD. But there would permanently be a 3-hour wait for a table.
That's not too far off of what the wait for a table at the Boca CF was last time I was there. I didn't wait for it though -- been there too many times to wait more than 20-30 min.

Atomicmickey

Ugh. My feeling about Avatar has always been, yeah, it could work---if they go for it, BIG TIME. Like, build an, um, World of pandora....

A one ride plus shop thing, ugh. Yes, that's what the studios are for.

I'd like to see a superdome with space projected and all day bioluminescence. A space you could put two potter-lands in.

If you're gonna do it, go for it. Astonish us.

Bleah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom