Downtown Disney expansion to be officially announced Tuesday 12 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

alissafalco

Just want to throw my nickles worth in here....why a nickle...its WDW...everything is over priced. As far as the plans that have been shown ( thanks @Lee ) I think they are very ambitious....maybe a little overly ambitious if you ask me. I really start to worry when I hear Ssteve mention "future plans". I keep thinking how in the world is Disney going to builsd something like this in 16 to 19 months?...is that something like dog years? I think the plans look wonderful. Although like most I just see retail store after retail store. That too worries me. What happens is you get repetition of stores and merch. That with the cost of a lease tends to lead to stores closeing and like with any "mall" there is nothing worse then shuttered shops. Is it possible that they are over building? Also with useing third party vendors there is very little uniqueness to it. Is the WOW factor in the facades?

?

I thought the same thing. They are investing in all of these retail stores, what if they don't do well? On Long Island there are shops closing left and right with abandoned strip malls where ever you go. It looks terrible and is a sad sight to see. They need to have a nice mix of unique stores in between eateries/bars. Just banking everything on regular high priced stores is a very big gamble. Shopping at the same expensive stores that I have at home is not appealing to me (while I'm at WDW).

John

So the whole of Downtown Disney is being renamed Disney Springs or just the old PI section?

Don't really like the new name.

Well its a little more complicated then that. The entire property is going to be called "Disney Springs" but then it will have different areas with what you might call sub-titles......I believe the old PI area is going to be called "The Landing"

DisneyGuyNYC

I thought the same thing. They are investing in all of these retail stores, what if they don't do well? On Long Island there are shops closing left and right with abandoned strip malls where ever you go. It looks terrible and is a sad sight to see. They need to have a nice mix of unique stores in between eateries/bars. Just banking everything on regular high priced stores is a very big gamble. Shopping at the same expensive stores that I have at home is not appealing to me (while I'm at WDW).
I think all these third party retail shops and chain-restaurant-frozen-food places are a terrible idea and completely against what I think is the appeal of WDW. It's the exact opposite of why anyone visits Disney. I don't fly out to visit my mall.

But, hell, what do I know? Seems like according to some of the posters here and TDO a dollar today is supposed to carry more weight than 5 dollars tomorrow and I'm silly for thinking otherwise.

karl75

I know it won't happen but wouldn't it be nice if disney springs incorporated some of the other disney springs (radiator springs);)

SirLink

I really don't have specifics. I could have asked, but have opted not to since the info comes from multiple sources, I'll go with it. But since all the changes of this still non-existent project, I just am beyond caring right now. Disney will do 'whatever' and my reaction will likely be 'whatever.'

I feel the same with this off/on plan for DHS makeover, with a lot of stuff shoved in a non-existent Phase 2. Plus the very notion of an expansion to fix "your" most broken thematic park is add 3 attractions is on a level of stupidity even I can't comprehend. Surely it should be grander/cheaper to build in the swamps than a urban metropolis where you have to go to the local authority for planning permission. Urgh I hate this company.

Mermaid would be a D-Ticket (barely), but doesn't look like one to me.

Coaster would likely be a C Ticket, but I'm still calling it a B.

These are not great state of the art attractions. They're basic, dull and just there to give guests more attractions to do in a day.

It also doesn't help that Disney have been creating attractions that has a "talk down to the lowest common denominator" mentality.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
All of the retail locations at DTD are the highest earning stores for the chains that operate in multiple locations - it appears to be a proven concept that retail works extremely well at DTD.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, how is the weather down in central Florida today? Any chance this announcement is going to happen today?

I'm waiting to see a few more details officially released before I form a full opinion that is anything other than my standard internet snark.

Tinkerbell 8

I'm torn on how I feel about this Disney Springs concept. I think that it is a good idea to put some work into an area that needs it, the parking there is a mess, and there isn't much to do in terms of entertainment, so hopefully that gets addressed in these plans. A few things that I have reservations about is it looking like a big mall and everything being operated by a third party. I feel like in Disney, it should be Disney owned and operated, and its sad that we are losing the last remaining restaurant at DTD, I just hope that they don't bring in a ton of chain restaurants, I liked other posters ideas about having the food network stars having their own places. I'm also worried that these parking garages will make the area look cheep and like my local mall, but they could pull it off. I was too young to get to enjoy PI, they actually closed the last club about 6 months before my 21st birthday, and I agree that Disney needs to add some more things for adults to enjoy. People like to go to a nice restaurant and stroll along with a drink in their hand, it makes a vacation different than every other day in your life. I understand that Disney is viewed as a "family" place, but we all know that not just families vacation there, and even those vacationing with children would enjoy a place they could go without the kids for a few hours. I'm anticipating this announcement, but like others have said with how Disney has been flaking on their last few projects, I'm not going to get my hopes up quite yet.

openendedsky

Its possible to get same-day reservations. I'd tell you how I do it, but then EVERYONE would & I couldnt ;)
Call and ask if they're taking reservations? ;)

I have an idea create a new restaurant experience by bringing the omnimover to a restaurant seating. Use the turn table frequently for the service end of the equation.
Something like what's on top of the Weston in Atlanta?
So, how is the weather down in central Florida today? Any chance this announcement is going to happen today?

I'm waiting to see a few more details officially released before I form a full opinion that is anything other than my standard internet snark.
Low 50's right now, supposed to warm up to low 70's. At least, that's what my phone is saying.

PirateFrank

Not just strip malls, but in a way, full-sized indoor malls. The Source Mall in Westbury, 15 years ago, was a fairly healthy, active mall bookended by Fortunoff on one end, and Circuit City on the other. Now, both of these major retailers are gone, but the empty department stores are still there (with signs still on the side of the buildings, rotting away like River Country). Half the stores in the mall, inbetween these two retailers have emptied out because they simply can not sustain business without the foot traffic from the bookends. Whats left (cheesecake factory & david and Busters) is only still there because they have direct draw -- but I still have to surmise that their business has *had* to have taken a hit since this mall took a nose dive. Someday, they are going to tear this place down. I'm convinced of it....

Anyway, I'm still scratching my head that TDO is putting anything into DTD right now. Businesses are contracting, not expanding. How is TDO going to attract the Cheesecake Factory and the PF Changs' of the world, with the enticement of regional redundancy and higher rent? It seems like a no-brainer to me -- and I mean, no-brainer as in -- no effin' brains!

shannon12

Not just strip malls, but in a way, full-sized indoor malls. The Source Mall in Westbury, 15 years ago, was a fairly healthy, active mall bookended by Fortunoff on one end, and Circuit City on the other. Now, both of these major retailers are gone, but the empty department stores are still there (with signs still on the side of the buildings, rotting away like River Country). Half the stores in the mall, inbetween these two retailers have emptied out because they simply can not sustain business without the foot traffic from the bookends. Whats left (cheesecake factory & david and Busters) is only still there because they have direct draw -- but I still have to surmise that their business has *had* to have taken a hit since this mall took a nose dive. Someday, they are going to tear this place down. I'm convinced of it....

Anyway, I'm still scratching my head that TDO is putting anything into DTD right now. Businesses are contracting, not expanding. How is TDO going to attract the Cheesecake Factory and the PF Changs' of the world, with the enticement of regional redundancy and higher rent? It seems like a no-brainer to me -- and I mean, no-brainer as in -- no effin' brains!
The Source mall is definitely on it's last legs....The only reason people g there is for Cheesecake/PF Changs. Especially since they built the new place 5 minutes away. I would hate to see that happen to DTD.

eta: I guess there are a few Long Islanders here lol

dupac

But, hell, what do I know? Seems like according to some of the posters here and TDO a dollar today is supposed to carry more weight than 5 dollars tomorrow and I'm silly for thinking otherwise.
Well it depends on your time value of money, of course! ;)

DisneyGuyNYC

The Source mall is definitely on it's last legs....The only reason people g there is for Cheesecake/PF Changs. Especially since they built the new place 5 minutes away. I would hate to see that happen to DTD.

eta: I guess there are a few Long Islanders here lol
Oddly enough, more than a few! My parents live on Long Island too.

prberk

I think all these third party retail shops and chain-restaurant-frozen-food places are a terrible idea and completely against what I think is the appeal of WDW. It's the exact opposite of why anyone visits Disney. I don't fly out to visit my mall.

Anyway, I'm still scratching my head that TDO is putting anything into DTD right now. Businesses are contracting, not expanding. How is TDO going to attract the Cheesecake Factory and the PF Changs' of the world, with the enticement of regional redundancy and higher rent? It seems like a no-brainer to me!

Disney, please read these posts!!

And also pay attention to the name. "Downtown Disney" still made direct sense and said exactly what it was. It also promised excitement. "Disney Springs" promises a retirement community with either a geiser or a babbling brook.

Ditch this whole thing and go back to making it an entertainment district with a festival or party atmosphore and UNIQUE shops. Ghirardelli is tops.

Also go back, resort wide, to setting the standard for hospitality instead of selling it out.

71jason

Two things: first, we don't KNOW what stores/restaurants are coming in as of this morning. I think it's unfair to judge the lineup before we have a definitive tenant list. Sure, it's fun to pile on CF, but there's zero indication CF will be a part of Disney Springs.

Second, I don't go to WDW to ride Dumbo, but it's still very, very popular. A lot of people DO come to WDW with a visit to the mall on their agenda. Premium Outlets is or recently was like the #4 attraction in Florida. Millenia and Florida Mall are swamped with (often international) tourists by the busload. If TDO is going for a "trap them on property" approach, this is a logical step. You need to mention Orlando malls in the same breath as Harry Potter when you discuss the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom