Downtown Disney expansion to be officially announced Tuesday 12 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

I-4 entrance is in the plan, but I do not believe it was specifically brought up today. There is a long way to go with this project, and some things are going to be announced over-time, and not all at once. My understanding is that the I-4 is in the plan, and will be one of the last phases.

That sounds like typical Disney Phase II talk ... and likely means they haven't hammered out any deal with officials, so they want to start construction and show what a mess they have and hope they'll get taxpayer funds. If they want it, then they should pay for it!

StarWarsGirl

I think my only objection is just the renaming of it to "Disney Springs." I'm sorry, but that name is beyond lame, and there was nothing wrong with it being called DTD in the first place.

Secondly, is only the expansion having the "beautiful lush, old Florida feel"? Or are they rethemeing all of DTD to this theme?
I agree, the name sucks.

Prince-1

You just dont get it....

Sorry but if done properly an AC restaurant would work amazingly well. Same ambience and theming as before. Same characters and drinks but include a separate spot for a restaurant and you got a gold mine. When I lived in Kissimmee I'd go there each weekend so I remember it fondly. And yes I get it.

StarWarsGirl

Mine train is a short kiddie coaster that is replacing a dark ride ... and I've been on Mermaid, it isn't impressive at all.
Really? I enjoyed Mermaid. The Ursula anamatronic is pretty cool. It would have been one that I would have insisted on going on as a kid. I think that Mine Train will be a bit more than just a kiddie coaster. We'll wait and see. I'll take a kiddie coaster over a dark ride that was not popular any day...

MerlinTheGoat

I expect that i'll enjoy the Mine Train when it opens. But a "major" new addition to the Magic Kingdom it definitely is not. That would be something of the caliber of Splash Mountain or Big Thunder. Splash was really the last major addition to the park. I'd also readily argue that no single attraction added to WDW as a whole since Splash has been able to top it. There have been good major additions to WDW, but Splash was the last best single ride added to WDW IMHO.

Avatar is looking more and more like simply one E-Ticket attraction and a shop with land 'available' for 'future development' ... the latest news.
Well that's more news than we've had recently at least. And it's different than the most recent previous news as well. As I recall, the original rumors had an E Ticket "bike" coaster or something like that with a couple of smaller scale attractions (like a Soarin clone or whatever). Then the second wave of rumors indicated severe budget cuts, apparently the E ticket was scrapped and instead there was just going to be a Soarin type ride and some kind of boat ride. And now they've gone back to an "E ticket" again.

I won't prod you for more specific info on the ride. But my main wonder is whether this so called ride is an E Ticket based on the Disney company's own current standards and definition of the ticketing system, or if it's an actual true E Ticket based on what was once considered worthy of E status and what fans like you and I think is worthy of that. I'm asking because the company's idea of what constitutes a ride being E has been dumbed down immensely over the last decade or two. It's vastly different than what once constituted such a ranking (and what we still see as E Tickets). I heard both Disney employees and lifestylers have attempted to claim both Mermaid and the Dwarf Coaster E Tickets (which they definitely are not regardless of how good or bad people think they are).

FrankLapidus

I really like the sound of these plans, I've always loved the Downtown Disney area and it sounds like some major improvements are on the way there. I'm interested to hear which vendors will be announced for Disney Springs, the place definitely needs some more variety in that regards. It would be very nice to see more being announced for the parks but this is the first WDW project announcement I've been enthusiastic about for what seems a long time, the concept art looks very nice and I'm very much much looking forward to seeing how Disney Springs turns out.

DisneyGuyNYC

What's point of building it at all then. We all know phase 2 never happens...
To appease this man:

James-Cameron-Rolex-Submariner-0011.jpg

yoyoflamingo

I expect that i'll enjoy the Mine Train when it opens. But a "major" new addition to the Magic Kingdom it definitely is not. That would be something of the caliber of Splash Mountain or Big Thunder.

Well that's more news than we've had recently at least. And it's different than the most recent previous news as well. As I recall, the original rumors had an E Ticket "bike" coaster or something like that with a couple of smaller scale attractions (like a Soarin clone or whatever). Then the second wave of rumors indicated severe budget cuts, apparently the E ticket was scrapped and instead there was just going to be a Soarin type ride and some kind of boat ride. And now they've gone back to an "E ticket" again.

I won't prod you for more specific info on the ride. But is this so called ride an E Ticket based on the Disney company's own standards and definition of the ticketing system, or would it also be considered an E Ticket by fans like you or me? I'm asking because the company's idea of what constitutes a ride being E has been dumbed down immensely over the last decade or two. It's vastly different than what fans like us consider an E Ticket. I heard both Disney employees and lifestylers have attempted to claim both Mermaid and the Dwarf Coaster E Tickets (which they definitely are not).

If I had to bet, I'd say it's the Soarin' clone, which would not make me happy (Avatar in general doesn't, but that's another story.) Soarin' is an E-ticket by their standards, so I would assume this would also qualify.

And though I do love Soarin', a screen with dust and hairs on it with little else does not constitute an immerse, E-ticket environment completely taking me to another place or time.

MerlinTheGoat

That's what bothers me and made me ask. Soarin is not an E Ticket, no matter how long the line may get and even when it's in top condition. Attractions like Spaceship Earth and other forgotten Future World classics were E Tickets. Splash Mountain also, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder, and (imo anyways) Radiator Springs Racers. Soarin just doesn't warrant that ranking by any stretch (even though I enjoy it).

Which is why I asked whether this is Disney's fabricated, dumbed down, and arguably non-truthful standard of what an E Ticket is, or whether it's the realistic definition of an E Ticket.

Ignohippo

Sorry but if done properly an AC restaurant would work amazingly well. Same ambience and theming as before. Same characters and drinks but include a separate spot for a restaurant and you got a gold mine. When I lived in Kissimmee I'd go there each weekend so I remember it fondly. And yes I get it.

Seconded. It would work amazingly well as a restaurant. Those who don't think so simply lack imagination.

Mouse Detective

Seconded. It would work amazingly well as a restaurant. Those who don't think so simply lack imagination.

AC as it used to be would not work as a restaurant. But I do agree that it could be changed sufficiently to operate as a dinner show multiple times per night and then maybe a late show without a meal but two drink minimum. Sure, the surprise on unsuspecting guests wandering in would not be there but there's enough material to make a fun show out of it. And it would be unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom