Downtown Disney District Extends to Buena Vista Street

fctiger

Hey, would somebody report in on what the crowds have been like at DTD/BVS?

Well I can give you the crowd level for today on Thanksgiving since me and my family went! It was actually really really calm. We were shocked and we didn't get there until around the middle of the afternoon. There was no lines at all for any entries like into DTD or BVS. We just walked right on in. The stores had a few line ups since capacity is low of course but the stores we did go in like WoD and Elias and Co. were each less than five minutes. The crazy thing was the Starbucks on BVS had the longest line and wrapped down the street. But the main one in DTD had no lines and was a complete walk in. Strange how that happens lol. Maybe the Starbuck line for BVS was for something else too, IDK, but everything else was super manageable. But who knows what it will be like this coming weekend?

I did notice bigger crowds coming in past sunset though when we were heading out. I imagine to be around all the Christmas lights.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So......

Who wants to wager how long it takes before TDA decides to open Main Street USA in a similar way at some point in the coming months?

Any guesses?

I will wager one Mickey Bar and two pressed pennies it happens early next year, post Xmas season, to entice locals to visit during the 'slow season'.

-
Didn't DL get Christmas decorations? That would be a sign of opening Main St before Christmas.

el_super

Who wants to wager how long it takes before TDA decides to open Main Street USA in a similar way at some point in the coming months?

There's always a chance, but no, Disney doesn't want to open Main Street for free. There is a value to allowing people into the park, and that's value that Disney is going to need to recoup quickly. Not letting people into Main Street for free right now, will sell more tickets and APs when the park DOES open, and that's what they are counting on.

I'm surprised they gave in and opened Buena Vista Street, but I think we all realize that Buena Vista Street has less value than Disneyland proper. I think there are better odds you would see an expansion of offerings at DCA (only if the crowds warrant it) before you saw them reopening Main Street.

NateD1226

Didn't DL get Christmas decorations? That would be a sign of opening Main St before Christmas.
I'm not completely sure if this is right, but I'm pretty sure they only put those up because they filmed the Disney Park Holiday Christmas special on Main Street. As I said, I'm not completely sure that's right but I think that's why they put those up.

Giss Neric

I have a theory as to why Disney did not go the food festival route like other parks are doing (and is likely not going to IMO). I do believe that Disney crunched the numbers, considered the guidelines that would need to be put in place and ultimately decided that they would gain more financially in the long run by slowly but surely opening the parks back up as a free access mall.

A food festival in the midst of COVID comes with greater limits. They would not be able to open the regular restaurants but only have kiosks that could have restrictions of their own (mainly pricing). Disney decided the restaurant revenue (esp from Carthay Circle) would give them back more than just having only food stands available. In addition, they would not have to spend money to hire back all the entertainment they've just laid off.

It does seem strange and illogical but this is just what I think is likely the case, but then I'm not fully familiar with all the new state guidelines.
Also, consider the attendance Disney gets compared to let's say Knott's Berry Farm. Knott's festival doesn't even get that crowded in my experience while DTD has wait times just to get in. i know DTD is free but it still attracts a lot. Just the first day of Buena Vista, people were there as early as 6AM, vloggers and just regular folks.

Giss Neric

I mean what's the point of the Disney holiday special? To show off how amazing a closed themepark is?

It's always the same corny musical guests and cringery narration/ editing.
Tradition maybe? Not all are corny but most of the artists they invite have not so much booming careers.

Stevek

Heard the crowds were incredibly light. Had friends that went Sunday and walked right into BV street, zero wait. Wonder if folks were scared away due to crowd concerns?

Stevek

I would go more often now since BVS is open but the $10 parking is a major turn off. I’m sure it was still more busy then when I worked there in 2001.
BTW, did you order the reverse retro ducks jersey? Thought it would appeal to you given your avatar. Knowing TEAM LA store, I won't get my Kings one until after Christmas given how terrible their customer service is.

TP2000

Synergy, synergy, synergy.

But if they were ever good, interesting, or informative, they must have strategically pivoted away from that LONG before I ever saw one.

They used to be charming and genuinely entertaining. But they haven't been that for many years now.

It all seems so hopelessly outdated and yet also devoid of any real personality or charm. Like a very bad variety show from 2005, if they still had variety shows in 2005.

I honestly don't think the people from Burbank who produce these things even know what the subject material is; either Disneyland, or Disney World, or even Christmas. This could be an infomercial for a new Waterpik for all they know.

TP2000

Heard the crowds were incredibly light. Had friends that went Sunday and walked right into BV street, zero wait. Wonder if folks were scared away due to crowd concerns?

I think once you got the neckbeards and lifestyle vloggers out of the way in the first 36 hours, the actual consumer interest in this is very low. What's the point, exactly?

It's a theme park experience without all of the things someone goes to a theme park to experience, but you still get distant $10 parking and over-wrought security screening. No thanks. :rolleyes:

Jiggsawpuzzle35

I would go more often now since BVS is open but the $10 parking is a major turn off. I’m sure it was still more busy then when I worked there in 2001.
Yeah I got mine. Should be getting it within the next couple of days. I’m not gonna lie, I love the Kings jersey since I kind of started following the Kings in 1991 when they had the Chevy logo. This and the Whalers throwback are my two other favorite jerseys. Fun fact, it would have been the Stars moving to Anaheim instead of Mighty Ducks if it weren’t for Bruce McNall convincing Eisner to apply for an expansion team. We would have won our first cup in 99 with Hull in the crease.

fctiger

I will be going to DtD this weekend for the first time since Disneyland closed. Will let everyone know how it goes. Looking forward to it. My expectations aren't super high.

When they first announced the reopening in summer I couldn't imagine anyone going. Now that it has been 9 months since not only Disneyland, but the ENTIRE state closed, it actually seems like one of the most eventful things to do in SoCal.

We went back for the first time on Thanksgiving day, but I had planned to go months ago, but the huge crowds (at least the way it sounded like) just scared us away. One, I just don't think anything in DTD is worth an hour to get into and two, the whole point is not to be around tons of people, so those two reasons kept us away.

But the crazy thing the only reason why we ended up there for Thanksgiving is they shut down all the outdoor dining for Thanksgiving in L.A. and we had already made plans to go out to a favorite local restaurant. Once that plan was shot three days before the holiday it came down to should we just stay home or find some place else to eat? And yeah DTD is literally one of the few hang out spots we been to that we knew would be open. I was a bit afraid it might be too crowded but we called around that day and Tortilla Joe's had no problem getting a reservation and they said if the line coming in was too crowed, we could show the reservation and skip the line, which made it sound even better. But fortunately when we got there, there wasn't even a line to get in. Eating at a Mexican restaurant was not the most traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but hey, it's 2020. :rolleyes:

I'm kind of glad we waited though, now things seem to be a lot more calm. We were willing to wait to get into BVS for up to an hour (on the digital queue) but we didn't have to do that either and walked right in; so it made things a lot more bearable. Probably will go back, but guessing not anytime soon. But see what Christmas time brings.

fctiger

I think once you got the neckbeards and lifestyle vloggers out of the way in the first 36 hours, the actual consumer interest in this is very low. What's the point, exactly?

It's a theme park experience without all of the things someone goes to a theme park to experience, but you still get distant $10 parking and over-wrought security screening. No thanks. :rolleyes:

Honestly it's nice, but it's just more stores and a few more restaurants. It really is just an extension of DTD, so once the hardcore Disney folk would show up to take some pictures, it's not exactly much to do. We went in and probably was there about 30 minutes? Would've stayed longer if we ate there but end of the day it's mostly the same stuff you can buy at WoD or sit and have a snack. It's nice to see it once at least.

I imagine if they open up Main Street the same thing will happen, although it will probably be a little busier at the beginning. It is a bigger areas as well.

TP2000

Honestly it's nice, but it's just more stores and a few more restaurants. It really is just an extension of DTD, so once the hardcore Disney folk would show up to take some pictures, it's not exactly much to do. We went in and probably was there about 30 minutes? Would've stayed longer if we ate there but end of the day it's mostly the same stuff you can buy at WoD or sit and have a snack. It's nice to see it once at least.

I imagine if they open up Main Street the same thing will happen, although it will probably be a little busier at the beginning. It is a bigger areas as well.

Yeah. I really don't envy them. They are trying desperately to do something, anything.

But what they've got on Buena Vista Street is very uninspiring and lifeless. And all rather pointless, since World of Disney sells piles of the same Chinese made crap anyway.

We used to make endless jokes online during the Paul Pressler era about turning Disneyland into a mall.

It's finally actually happened. And it's just as boring and pointless as we feared 20 years ago. :oops:

SuddenStorm

Yeah. I really don't envy them. They are trying desperately to do something, anything.

But what they've got on Buena Vista Street is very uninspiring and lifeless. And all rather pointless, since World of Disney sells piles of the same Chinese made crap anyway.

We used to make endless jokes online during the Paul Pressler era about turning Disneyland into a mall.

It's finally actually happened. And it's just as boring and pointless as we feared 20 years ago. :oops:

It's only fitting that DCA was finally able too live out it's original purpose.

TP2000

It's only fitting that DCA was finally able too live out it's original purpose.

It would be hysterical if Ken Potrock could invite Cynthia Harriss to come visit the Buena Vista Street Social Distance Mall, Presented by Huawei and see her vision finally come to life. A shopping mall entirely devoid of expensive entertainment, costly attractions, and profit-sucking overhead.

This was what Cynthia dreamed of in 1999, but never saw it come to life. She deserves this.

P01-4.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom