Doors Fail to Open on Monorail Yellow

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just so nobody is mislead by your post the pilot exits the cab to assist with boarding procedures when the train is parked in the station.

The phones are checked daily and was likely working properly.
Hey man, I agree. Monorails are fine. This is all fine. Perfectly normal. Jeez.

peter11435

Hey man, I agree. Monorails are fine. This is all fine. Perfectly normal. Jeez.
I never said monorails are fine.

They have been poorly maintained and are in desperate need of replacement.

There is also a widespread issue of poor training and poor work ethic that permeates beyond monorails or even Disney.

This instance falls into the second category.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How long have we had these cameras in our pockets though? Iphone came out in 2007. So, I mean....
You are making my point.

The Monorails had been running for 36 years prior to a decent smartphone coming to market. Even if we ignore the fact that it would take years after 2007 before smartphones would become commonplace, you are comparing a 36 year long period where information was funneling through a bar straw to an 11 year period where it comes through a fire hose.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You are making my point.

The Monorails had been running for 36 years prior to a decent smartphone coming to market. Even if we ignore the fact that it would take years after 2007 before smartphones would become commonplace, you are comparing a 36 year long period where information was funneling through a bar straw to an 11 year period where it comes through a fire hose.
I get your point, my point was more that these monorail incidents seem to be happening more and more often, especially in the past year. Not sure we can just blame that on the proliferation of smart phones.

peter11435

I get your point, my point was more that these monorail incidents seem to be happening more and more often, especially in the past year. Not sure we can just blame that on the proliferation of smart phones.
That’s just the thing though. They aren’t happening more often. You’re just hearing about them more often.

Every guest is a journalist now.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That’s just the thing though. They aren’t happening more often. You’re just hearing about them more often.

Every guest is a journalist now.
Just so I get this clear....

Doors have always opened as the monorails cruised along the beams?

Doors have always fallen off when struck?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Not sure, but the tires did on occasion set the trains on fire.

monorail_fire.jpg

peter11435

I am not aware of another time a door has opened while in motion. But that doesn’t mean it has or hasn’t happened.

This was not the first time a door has fallen off a train. And if those who were actually there are to be believed it didn’t fall off when struck. It was damaged when stuck and fell off while being repaired.

Goofyernmost

I guess that gives WDW two options:
a) Improve infrastructure and customer service, or
b) Confiscate everyone's phones.
I go with (b). Phones have become a total pain in the butt. I spent decades happily wandering around the world with no cellphone at all. Never cared nor gave it a thought. If I were to be gone for more then a few hours, I would just check my answering machine when I got home and not even think about it while I was gone. Now, if I find out that I forgot to put my phone in my pocket when I left home, I literally panic. I hardly ever get any calls because I am not a person that is on the phone all day, but, all of a sudden it is a matter of life and death without it. I've been known to turn around and go home and get it, just because I am panicked that someone is trying to get in touch with me when I am out. It is stupid, no one needs to be attached that much. We need some downtime from that connection and just be lost in ourselves if nothing else to contemplate our navels. I'm not proud of it, but, I have been known to carry my phone from room to room. What an addiction. Perhaps, there will be an Alexander Graham Bell rehab center where we can get help for our in person social killing habit.

mgf

I don't see anyway Disney gets a pass on this one.

The guests look like they might be teens. So what?

The guests are not sobbing hysterically. So what?

The guests were not in a *real* emergency. So what?

The phone (probably) worked. There was just no one to answer it. So what?

This is absolutely a clear failure on Disney's part. Yes real world stuff happens there, but they failed the real world response in every way possible - maintenance, training, operations, emergency planning, customer service, incident response. Everything. The situation around the monorails is textbook management failure. All it needs is a tragedy, and it will be a case study.

There is no excuse. I adore the monorails but operate them properly or don't do it at all.

Thelazer

Just so nobody is mislead by your post the pilot exits the cab to assist with boarding procedures when the train is parked in the station.

The phones are checked daily and was likely working properly.

"Likely"..

Lets see the audit log of each time the phone was checked and what "working" means.

Does that mean someone stands in each car, using each phone to "call" and answer someone in the driver cab?
Does it mean someone just "checks" the phone is physically there?
Does it mean you pick it up and hear "something"..

Details matter and I'd be willing to bet there isn't a way to confirm by audit log or other proof it's done daily.

(and if a monorail pilot is reading this.. you might want to think twice about what your really signing off each day on..)

(fair disclosure, I've been thru unpleasantness and legal things involving Disney things in the past. I have seen first hand how quick the company is to suspend and place blame on the CM's. Which is why I mention these things that anyone who might be a monorail op reading this.. should damn well be bringing up to there union reps NOW!)

Rteetz

Details matter and I'd be willing to bet there isn't a way to confirm by audit log or other proof it's done daily.
Details do matter and which we don’t have them all which is causing us all to speculate. It’s really an endless discussion that we are all not going to agree upon.

I do think everyone here agrees the monorails need replacement but until then we are stuck with what we have.

peter11435

"Likely"..

Lets see the audit log of each time the phone was checked and what "working" means.

Does that mean someone stands in each car, using each phone to "call" and answer someone in the driver cab?
Does it mean someone just "checks" the phone is physically there?
Does it mean you pick it up and hear "something"..

(and if a monorail pilot is reading this.. you might want to think twice about what your really signing off each day on..)

(fair disclosure, I've been thru unpleasantness and legal things involving Disney things in the past. I have seen first hand how quick the company is to suspend and place blame on the CM's. Which is why I mention these things that anyone who might be a monorail op reading this.. should damn well be bringing up to there union reps NOW!)
The phone should be checked daily to verify that two way communication is working. There would be paperwork each day showing that this was done.

If monorail pilots said this was done and they did not actually complete it, then that would be falsifying a legal document and they deserve what ever repercussions they receive. But that is wild speculation and there is no reason to believe that was the case.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

How long have we had these cameras in our pockets though? Iphone came out in 2007. So, I mean....

They didn't become commonplace until the last 3-4 years, though - especially where most users were uploading/sharing video themselves.

It's also why we have a lot more issues with police shootings that become cultural touch points, there's not necessarily more shootings now but the fact everybody is a roving reporter makes it very easy for stories that would previously get no attention or be buried to get worldwide interest in thirty seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom