Doors Fail to Open on Monorail Yellow

MickeyMinnieMom

There are Disney Resorts where Cast Members really care about their work. They’d feel profoundly sorry about problems that arise (even things like bad weather). Aulani is one example. The Cast there clearly feel like they’re doing something great. I remember a Cast Member talking about how great it is to work there. In Shanghai, I could feel how proud many of the hotel Cast members were of their city’s new resort. They asked how it compared to other Disney Resorts, talked about how great their jobs were, and were super focused. In Tokyo they’re in mad dash. We once asked a Custodian for directions, and she went backstage in order to find an English map. She then spent even more time trying to help us use it. And she didn’t speak any English. She was almost too helpful!

While there are Walt Disney World Cast Members who do all of the above, many look blankly off into the distance or don’t jump to help. Why? Because corporate views them as expendable labor capital. Cast Member’s assignment is to make sure each guest maximizes spending by providing a good enough experience for guests to open wallets. And Cast Members may be replaced by interns, because did I mention, they’re expendable?

They lack a spark found at Disney Parks around the world. Can you blame them? No better metaphor can exist then the crappy Monorails. Technically Disney isn’t doing anything wrong. But the guest experience suffers when you just aren’t “doing anything wrong.” Being a leader in the services industry requires being proactive and doing more than what’s required.

Until they fix that fundamental problem, Walt Disney World will lag in energy. Problems like this will also be commonplace*. When you have no loyalty, don’t expect loyalty back.

*I also wouldn’t be so quick to write it off as a Cast Member not knowing what to do. The guest in question was asking a specific question they very well might not have been prepared for. Poor training can often lead to poor morale.
It is worrisome that the phone system didn’t work.
While I might agree with some of this, NONE of it is an excuse for a front line CM telling guests to post something on Instagram if they want some help or to see action. Utterly ridiculous, and most certainly a reason to terminate.

And despite what I read on boards like this all the time, our experiences with CMs in WDW are still 99% positive, and not at all what you describe.

Thelazer

The fact that no one answered when you pick up the emergency phone is TRULY frighting.

Next time, break the emergency release level and pop the window off.
Or smash that glass.

Should have had a panic attack and sued... you'd get a nice settlement given the fact it's on video and no one answered the emergency phone. Yea I know.. money and lawsuits happen to be the only thing that gets things fixed around Disney these days.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The urgency of the monorail needs to be updated/replaced isn't there due to Bob Iger's greed getting a huge bonus in 2021. Bob Iger gets 100 Million dollar bonus in 2021 if Disney's total shareholder return outperforms 50% of the S&P 500.

I said Bob Iger's greed because the way you get that huge bonus is by focus on short-term profits and finding new ways to squeeze money from customers. Anything with Monorails is expensive to say the least.

You do understand that this isn’t his greed but a demand by the board of directors who represent the shareholders who own the company that created these objectives? Do you not expect to be penalized when your boss sets an objective for you that you do not achieve?

s8film40

The fact that no one answered when you pick up the emergency phone is TRULY frighting.

Or smash that glass.

Should have had a panic attack and sued... you'd get a nice settlement given the fact it's on video and no one answered the emergency phone. Yea I know.. money and lawsuits happen to be the only thing that gets things fixed around Disney these days.
Do we know that they even tried to call, let alone that no one answered?

Rteetz

The urgency of the monorail needs to be updated/replaced isn't there due to Bob Iger's greed getting a huge bonus in 2021. Bob Iger gets 100 Million dollar bonus in 2021 if Disney's total shareholder return outperforms 50% of the S&P 500. The huge bonus I referred to was mentioned in the Wall street journey last week.

I said Bob Iger's greed because the way you get that huge bonus is by focus on short-term profits and finding new ways to squeeze money from customers. Anything with Monorails is expensive to say the least. The way to outperform over 50 percent of the S&P 500 is doing anything to make a profit and make everything look good on paper to stockholders.

A majority of Stockholders only care about the bottom line, not the product itself.
This has nothing to do with Bob Igers bonus. If something extreme were to happen with the monorails stock would drop without a doubt. If the product causes human harm that’s a problem. Obviously this is a what if situation though.

peter11435

The urgency of the monorail needs to be updated/replaced isn't there due to Bob Iger's greed getting a huge bonus in 2021. Bob Iger gets 100 Million dollar bonus in 2021 if Disney's total shareholder return outperforms 50% of the S&P 500. The huge bonus I referred to was mentioned in the Wall street journey last week.

I said Bob Iger's greed because the way you get that huge bonus is by focus on short-term profits and finding new ways to squeeze money from customers. Anything with Monorails is expensive to say the least. The way to outperform over 50 percent of the S&P 500 is doing anything to make a profit and make everything look good on paper to stockholders.

A majority of Stockholders only care about the bottom line, not the product itself.
Yeah... no

peter11435

Or smash that glass.

Or smash that glass.

The phones go to the pilot who likely wasn’t on board when the guests were attempting to call. I feel that’s the only way their calls would have gone unanswered.

lazyboy97o

What about this was unsafe? The monorail was running fine just the doors didn’t open. If they were truly unsafe Disney would stop running them because that’s a liability/insurance issue they certainly don’t want.

Yes the monorails need to be updated/replaced. Yes Disney knows. The urgency just isn’t there.
If there had been some sort of emergency within the car, people were trapped and being ignored.

Goofyernmost

Well, I have just realized that I have every reason to hate my employer when I was a bus driver. Do you know that one time the wheelchair lift wouldn't work when I had a person half way up to the bus floor level, I mean really don't they care? I also had a door that stopped working, what a bunch of non-caring, ignorant jack wads they were. Imagine sending out a bus that was going to break down in the middle of a run. What a waste of money hiring all those clairvoyants turned out to be. They couldn't even figure out when a piece of mechanical equipment might malfunction. And that time that the heater stopped working in the middle of winter and half way through my trip. I mean really... what was wrong with them.

The biggest problem would be all of you that believe that everything in a Disney park runs on pure Pixie Dust and is immune from the problems of the real world. You are reacting to the probably greatly exaggerated musings of a Guest? You don't know what happened, you don't know why it happened, but, you are sure that Disney loves lawsuits and does everything in their power to harm the Guest, because as we all know... they hate Guests.

s8film40

They weren't trapped, they all have emergency exits. However, we should always be sure to increase the drama whenever possible.
Yep! If you watch the video you can see one guy reaching for the pull tab on the window, but apparently deciding not to pull it. It’s obvious by that the occupants of the car didn’t feel this was an emergency.

TrojanUSC

I said this months ago. They needed to announce new monorails a long time ago, even if they were still a ways off. An announcement is at least acknowledging that there is an issue that needs improvement, and a solution is on the way. I don't get why they feel that every major announcement needs to wait until D23 Expo.

It could have been unsafe if this was a different group of passengers that reacted with panic instead of laughter. Also, what if there was an emergency and the guests could not get out? That would have been a big problem.

What? There are cellphones. The video clearly shows someone debating pulling the emergency release for the window but opting not to. We also don't know if they tried to use the phone during the journey or only while in the station. If the latter, it would make sense why nobody answered.

Goofyernmost

What? There are cellphones. The video clearly shows someone debating pulling the emergency release for the window but opting not to. We also don't know if they tried to use the phone during the journey or only while in the station. If the latter, it would make sense why nobody answered.
If they were in the station? How would they know the doors wouldn't open until they got into the station and were stopped. That I won't give Disney a pass on. If they are going to have emergency communication equipment, it needs to be monitored no matter where the train is. I don't see it as a major catastrophe but, it certainly could have been a problem had the train pulled out of the station without even noticing. However, that was the most serious part of the whole thing. Like stated before, they all have emergency exits and opening would have stopped the train from going anyplace.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Jk but honestly the door falling off was due to an ecv ramming it. And yellow tonight I suspect is more human error then mechanical. I do want new trains badly but these two incidents are not reasons to me.
Everything is fine! These are isolated, and totally unrelated events. The monorails are in perfect working order!

Yeah definitely seems like there's more to this. Especially it being a group of teens makes me wonder if they did something stupid and the CM was messing with them.
See? It was the guests fault. Dang rambunctious teens. Monorails are a-ok.
Do we know that they even tried to call, let alone that no one answered?
See? It's all #fakenews. I bet these liars didn't even try to call. Monorails are perfectly fine.
The phones go to the pilot who likely wasn’t on board when the guests were attempting to call. I feel that’s the only way their calls would have gone unanswered.
Yep. Pilot was going potty, everything is fine. Don't worry. Monorails are supposed to work like this. No door or phone is 100% reliable. These people expect perfection, amiright? SMH.

peter11435

Yep. Pilot was going potty, everything is fine. Don't worry. Monorails are supposed to work like this. No door or phone is 100% reliable. These people expect perfection, amiright? SMH.
Just so nobody is mislead by your post the pilot exits the cab to assist with boarding procedures when the train is parked in the station.

The phones are checked daily and was likely working properly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom