Does this sound right? A medical/ethical question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not sure that a person with an insulin pump would qualify for a GAC. It is a tool to treat diabetes just like regular injectable insulin and oral medications and a prescribed diet. Speaking as a diabetic, if she is sick enough to need to be in a wheelchair then she really shouldn't be in the parks, but seeking medical care. It will not stop her from playing, running around, walking or standing inline. There are professional athletes who compete while using them, normal everyday people who work their nine to five and then some with them. This will not incapacitate her, but actually help to make her healthier since her diabetes will be better treated.

Absolutely!

A teenager on my son's crew uses an insulin pump, and unless you knew her, you would have no way of knowing. She is able to compete out in 90 degree weather with no more problem than anyone else on the team, so I doubt that it would affect her waiting in line at WDW.

I think that the instructor may be passing along misinformation, perhaps based on an individual who had multiple problems aside from (or even related to) the diabetes? :shrug:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
For the OP: It sounds to me like you will feel guilty using a GAC. If the diabetes is under control and the person has no medical reason to have less time in lines then no, you shouldn't get a GAC. If their doctor says they shouldn't wait in lines for reasons that may or may not be obvious to you, then by all means explain the reasons to Guest Relations and they'll provide a GAC that meets the requirements of the guest in need.

I have used a GAC in the past. I had problems with standing for prolonged periods or moving in slow-moving lines [I have a full-thickness skin graft on my right heel that blisters easily under those conditions]. Any line with over a 30-minute wait was too much for me and I got blisters on my heel that meant painful walking for the rest of my vacation and a few weeks thereafter. I could walk throughout the parks without any difficulty, but standing or shuffling along in line is when I had trouble. Disney was great about it and the GAC saved me a lot of pain and suffering. Since that trip, I have found a product that actually protects the skin graft effectively throughout our vacation, so I no longer need the GAC and can stand in line like the rest of the world. Honestly? It feels great waiting in line now! :D

KC82271

My sister has been on a pump for years. There is absolutely no reason she would need to be given a GAC.

On the other hand, I recently met up with a friend's family while down there. Their DD is autistic - not severly, but waiting in line can cause some issues. They were issued a GAC - for the group of 7 that they were. We decided to meet up with them for breakfast and do some rides at the MK. We were stopped at Jungle Cruise because we added another 4 people to their group! I was happy to see this. We all ended up splitting up while some wanted to do CoP and others Space Mountain. I took the DD with me on Space Mountain. We didn't use the card because the wait for standy by was faster than the FastPass/Handicap entrance. She was okay - but I can see where it might be needed for her. A few more minutes, I think we would have needed to get off line.

Now, comparing my sister's situation (pump) to the autisic scenario, I would smack my sister for attempting to use the GAC, while I don't see too much of an issue with the other situation - as long as it is legit.

Laura

Premium Member
I'm not sure that a person with an insulin pump would qualify for a GAC. It is a tool to treat diabetes just like regular injectable insulin and oral medications and a prescribed diet. Speaking as a diabetic, if she is sick enough to need to be in a wheelchair then she really shouldn't be in the parks, but seeking medical care. It will not stop her from playing, running around, walking or standing inline. There are professional athletes who compete while using them, normal everyday people who work their nine to five and then some with them. This will not incapacitate her, but actually help to make her healthier since her diabetes will be better treated.

She said it all for me. Sounds like she'll be even healthier AFTER the insulin pump. If she can play basketball and soccer without the pump, then with it she should be able to do about anything, including waiting in a line like anyone else. So I would definitely consider it abuse for her to use the GAC.

The Mom

Premium Member
I wonder if these groups are as adamant about staying together if everyone in the party is unable/unwilling to ride/see an attraction? :shrug:

I totally understand not wanting the guest with the GAC to ride alone, but really, does everyone in the whole group need to be with them? Aren't 5 other people enough?

No offense, but if I were travelling with, and staying in the same house with, 11 other people, I would definitely want to break up into smaller groups, or even spend some time alone! :lol:

And, as mentioned, "Front of the Line" really doesn't exist anymore, as too many guests need or request it these days. When I travelled with my mother (in a wheelchair at WDW, a walker at home), we sometimes waited longer than other guests.

I think that it would be reasonable to have some sort of place saver pass so if the child was in line when it was time to check blood sugar (which can easily be done in public, but it can bother others and may make her feel self-concious) , or if she needed to go sit down for a bit due to an unexpected spike/drop, she could come back to where she was standing.

sublimesting

Everyone knows if given this opportunity, they would take full advantage of it. Just do it, forget the critics. Why would you wait in lines when you absolutely don't have to? You can't always please everyone, and they don't really matter. Just because your party is large, doesn't mean they should be split up. You are playing by the rules, so it's fair game. You don't want to call too much attention to the girl's condition and you want her to be comfortable.

Yeah but the critics are the people like all of us that get mad about people abusing the system. It's people that say "forget the critics, I am taking full advantage of the system" that makes people angry about "healthy" people in scooters and such. I happen to think you should be split up. Imagine waiting on a bus for 25 minutes and at the last second a disabled person rolls up with their crew of 25 people and they ALL get on the bus and off it goes and you have to wait again. It's not fair to everyone else. Immediate family is reasonable (even if they have 10 kids) but 12 people that are aunts and uncles and friends is too much I think.

mousefan1972

Well, I guess the issue I would have is that this girl learned of the "front of the line pass" at a class she attended to learn about her insulin pump. It isn't like she is ill enough to have sought the information out on her own.

For me, if it were my child, and he or she was a diabetic who was well enough to be playing soccer and basketball, I would absolutely not seek out a GAC. Those are meant for guests with health issues, visible or not, who need assistance. It sounds like she does not need assistance. Pretty simple, if you ask me. :shrug:

NASAMan

When I read the OP last night (I could have been first to reply), I decided to hold my tongue, see what a few others say, and then post my response. I was so angry at the medical 'professional' who does not speak for Disney, but yet uses a position of authority to commit WDW to a procedure that is not available. The Guest Assistance Card is NOT a front-of-line pass, but alerts attraction cast members of assistance opportunities. Google 'wdw guest assistance card' and read the FAQ at the top of the list. It lays out for you what the GAC can and cannot do. The only real front-of-line pass is available only to children from Give Kids the World or Make-a-Wish Foundation. I'm happy to pause a few moments to allow these kids and their families what in all probability a once in a lifetime experience. But even in this case, how callous of a doctor telling a young child, "You're so lucky you have a disease that lets you skip lines at WDW!" I'm sure he/she thought they we're comforting the child, but I'd hate to be the CM in City Hall when Mom or Dad come in with a doctor's note for a front-of-line pass.

An engineer I know left NASA to work at WDW to maximize queue area use, back when Fast-Pass was just appearing. One thing that was done was to ensure, when at all possible, that lines accommodate wheelchairs. This way families can more often stay together in line. Other accommodations like shade, seating areas, or alternative entrances were included. This way a front-of-line pass is no longer needed as the needs of the guest can be accommodated without segregating them from the rest of the guests.

Get the GAC. If you are using it to skip long lines you are abusing it. Keep it for those times when it is intended: to allow the guest a chance be accommodated into an otherwise inaccessible attraction.

WDI 1998

My family and my self. (me, wife and 6 kids, DD 17, DD 14, DD 12, DS 10, DS 8 and DD 8) have used a GAC for our last 3 trips to Disney and will be getting one again when we go this coming Saturday (May 17 thu 23rd). We have done this becuase our 8 year old son is Autistic and has a melt down waiting to long in lines. We have always gotten a letter from our Doctor before hand and we only use the GAC if our son is riding the ride. For rides like HM (which he is scared of) we all wait in line while one of our party waits outside with him. We do not feel it is fair for us to use the GAC and take unfair advantage of it if he is not riding.

From what I am hearing, our trip next week is going to be a bit different. Make-a-wish is giving him a trip becuase he is in bone marrow failure and will be getting a bone marrow transplant in late June or Early July. I am told he will be treated like a king and will not have to wait in any lines. Make-a-wish is coming to our house tomorrow or the next day to give us our tickets and go over all the details.

I am more than willing to trade the trip for his health back though....

mouselvrmom

My family and my self. (me, wife and 6 kids, DD 17, DD 14, DD 12, DS 10, DS 8 and DD 8) have used a GAC for our last 3 trips to Disney and will be getting one again when we go this coming Saturday (May 17 thu 23rd). We have done this becuase our 8 year old son is Autistic and has a melt down waiting to long in lines. We have always gotten a letter from our Doctor before hand and we only use the GAC if our son is riding the ride. For rides like HM (which he is scared of) we all wait in line while one of our party waits outside with him. We do not feel it is fair for us to use the GAC and take unfair advantage of it if he is not riding.

From what I am hearing, our trip next week is going to be a bit different. Make-a-wish is giving him a trip becuase he is in bone marrow failure and will be getting a bone marrow transplant in late June or Early July. I am told he will be treated like a king and will not have to wait in any lines. Make-a-wish is coming to our house tomorrow or the next day to give us our tickets and go over all the details.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son! I hope you all have a wonderful trip that lifts his spirits. I also hope that the transplant is successful! I don't think anyone would ever argue front of the line priviledges for these kinds of situations.

TOTGuy

Sorry to hear about your DS health. As for your visit, you will be treated like royalty. You will be given a GAC with a stoplight that says "Please expedite this guest's visit". No questions will be asked you will get to through FP or equivalent. If someone gives you problems ask for a manager. If I see you guys at Soarin' then I will make sure you guys get the best seats. ;)

Dwarful

We had one in our group who was in a wheelchair. Our group at the time was 13 people. Most of the time the wheelchair was able to go in the regular lines or wheelchair lines and we all stayed together. For parade viewing it is very limited and groups will be apart in order to make room for all wheelchair guests. Disney does an amazing job at helping make every guests visit a wonderful visit.

sublimesting

Honestly, i can think of almost no medical condition would require front of the line passage. Definately NOT just because one is in a wheelchair. The autistic child is a reason, or someone that has heat sensitive conditions, or of course Make a Wish children but that's pretty much it.

Wilt Dasney

A lot of people who seem to have some specific knowledge of the system have chimed in here. I'll just throw out another piece of general advice, which is to take your cue from the family and Cast Members with this one.

Whether or not the girl's condition warrants any special treatment really shouldn't be your concern, because she isn't your daughter. If you get into those kinds of discussions with the other family, it could lead to hurt feelings and lasting resentment, which to me would be more important than what some strangers you'll never see again think of you.

I would go in not expecting any special treatment for your party and just "wing it." If CM's say one person can accompany the little girl up to the ride, smile and head for Standby. If the whole party is invited, consider which is more important...keeping your party together or offending other people in line (who don't know anything about your situation and perhaps shouldn't be so concerned with what other people are doing). Based on that characterization, you can probably guess where I would lay the priority. :lol:

Based on what others have said, this might not even be an issue, since Disney might not feel the girl's condition warrants front-of-line accommodations.

If they did, though, I wouldn't sweat it in YOUR shoes, since you haven't asked for anything and you're just "along for the ride" basically. In your situation, I'd let the girl's parents make the call over whether or not to seek out or use special accommodations, and just focus on having a great vacation and maintaining a good relationship with my friends. The opinions of outsiders would never enter the equation in my mind.

dragongirl

My mom is diabetic and I used to be. So knowing what I know from that, I have the feeling that the guy leading the pump seminar was just trying to put a positive spin to counter the anxiety of having a pump. They probably figure the kids will forget about it later.

Last September I went with a party of nine. Many people in the party insisted that we not split up and stay together. I really wish we had. The trip would have been more enjoyable, especially when I have a toddler who can't go on most of the rides. The two of us spending an hour outside of Splash Mt waiting while the rest of the party rode it, in the name of staying together is not my idea of fun. I would have preferred agreeing to a meeting place and a time, then going off to Toontown or Fantasyland without having to worry about timing and whether I could get back to Splash Mt before the rest of my party returned.

So, GAC, pump or not, you are going to want to split up sometimes!

fosse76

But if someone in the group has an actual medical condition that makes the line process difficult for them, why should they be expected to just use the fastpass system that's available for all guests? They have a legitmate issue and Disney has a solution for it so why not utilize it? A family of 5 or 6 people with a person using a GAC isn't going to throw a major wrench in the wait times. I'm sure traveling with someone who has a condition severe enough to require a GAC is difficult as it is, if that family can have their vacation made easier by skipping the lines without worrying about fastpasses or rushing around, I don't see why that should be frowned upon.

Legally speaking, they are not entitoled to immediate boarding. The ADA requires that all the attractions available to guests without disabilities be available to guests with disabilities. How Disney implements that requirement is up to them. If someone honestly cannot stand in a line for more than five minutes, then the ADA requires an accomodation. That can easily be to allow the guest to wait at the platform while the rest of their party winds its way through the queue. Disney, and most other theme parks, realize that it means time away from their families and friends, so generally allow quick boarding. But they don't have to. They can make them wait. When I worked at Six Flags, when one of my rides had a long wait, I usually waited two or three cycles before loading them...and even then, we were required to ask the guests who already waited in line if they didn't mind waiting an extra cycle. I'm not sure if Disney requires that or not. But at the end of the day, Disney only has to make access to the ride available and nothing more.

I'm not exactly saying that everyone in the party, handicapped guest included, should always be allowed to skip the lines, I'm just saying that whatever accomadations are made for the handicapped guest, their family or party should be included in because to me breaking them up in the name of fairness to other guests isn't exactly what Disney guest service is all about.

kimmychad

A lot of people who seem to have some specific knowledge of the system have chimed in here. I'll just throw out another piece of general advice, which is to take your cue from the family and Cast Members with this one.

Whether or not the girl's condition warrants any special treatment really shouldn't be your concern, because she isn't your daughter. If you get into those kinds of discussions with the other family, it could lead to hurt feelings and lasting resentment, which to me would be more important than what some strangers you'll never see again think of you.

I would go in not expecting any special treatment for your party and just "wing it." If CM's say one person can accompany the little girl up to the ride, smile and head for Standby. If the whole party is invited, consider which is more important...keeping your party together or offending other people in line (who don't know anything about your situation and perhaps shouldn't be so concerned with what other people are doing). Based on that characterization, you can probably guess where I would lay the priority. :lol:

Based on what others have said, this might not even be an issue, since Disney might not feel the girl's condition warrants front-of-line accommodations.

If they did, though, I wouldn't sweat it in YOUR shoes, since you haven't asked for anything and you're just "along for the ride" basically. In your situation, I'd let the girl's parents make the call over whether or not to seek out or use special accommodations, and just focus on having a great vacation and maintaining a good relationship with my friends. The opinions of outsiders would never enter the equation in my mind.

whether or not the girls condition warrants a guest access card wouldn't be any of my concern if the op hadn't asked for peoples input. trying reading their entire post before going on a rant next time.:wave:

Wilt Dasney

whether or not the girls condition warrants a guest access card wouldn't be any of my concern if the op hadn't asked for peoples input. trying reading their entire post before going on a rant next time.:wave:

No ranting here, friend...just giving my own input on how I'd handle the situation. I suppose it's worth as much (or as little) as anybody else's. Sorry if you felt singled out.

DizneyPryncess

Everyone in the party will be allowed to accompany the person in the wheelchair. I went in March with 14 people, and this is how it worked for us. Here's a few things I think that are important to note.

Letting a large party on when one is in a wheelchair is not abusing the system. My family and I see each other exactly one time a year, on our trip to Disney. We go over Spring Break, an extremely crowded time, with huge lines. If we couldn't all ride everything together, this trip would be pointless. Splitting us up, or only allowing the person w/the pass to go w/one other person wouldn't be fair to families like mine. We like to be together on the trip, and we've never had one person say a word to us while in the parks.

As another poster said, many rides have waiting queue's large enough that there is no special line for those in wheelchairs. On many rides, we waited w/everyone else, and that was fine with us.

Keep in mind, those that think this is system abuse...when you go to WDW in a large group, with anyone in a wheelchair, you move through the day pretty slowly. You miss a lot of things. It's very hard to get everything done. So allowing the whole party to go ahead on a few lines is hardly too much to ask of lucky everyday guests who have the luxury of a healthy family.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom