Does this sound right? A medical/ethical question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluxuated

Everyone in the party will be allowed to accompany the person in the wheelchair. I went in March with 14 people, and this is how it worked for us. Here's a few things I think that are important to note.

Letting a large party on when one is in a wheelchair is not abusing the system. My family and I see each other exactly one time a year, on our trip to Disney. We go over Spring Break, an extremely crowded time, with huge lines. If we couldn't all ride everything together, this trip would be pointless. Splitting us up, or only allowing the person w/the pass to go w/one other person wouldn't be fair to families like mine. We like to be together on the trip, and we've never had one person say a word to us while in the parks.

As another poster said, many rides have waiting queue's large enough that there is no special line for those in wheelchairs. On many rides, we waited w/everyone else, and that was fine with us.

Keep in mind, those that think this is system abuse...when you go to WDW in a large group, with anyone in a wheelchair, you move through the day pretty slowly. You miss a lot of things. It's very hard to get everything done. So allowing the whole party to go ahead on a few lines is hardly too much to ask of lucky everyday guests who have the luxury of a healthy family.

:)

Maybe your not spending enough time there, if your complaining, you don't get to see it all, stay a couple more days, after all it's the only time you see your family. It's all about perception. I see plenty of people in the parks in wheelchairs and I'd bet only half of those are legit, for the legit ones, I have no problem. But it's the 400lb people that can't bother to walk around, that give everyone the bad rep. But that's another discussion, isn't it?

There's another way at looking at what you said...

"We go over Spring Break, an extremely crowded time, with huge lines. If we couldn't all ride everything together, this trip would be pointless. Splitting us up, or only allowing the person w/the pass to go w/one other person wouldn't be fair to families like mine. We like to be together on the trip"

That's a bit selfish, isn't it? What about myself and my family that have to wait in those long lines, is that fair to Families like mine? I don't buy that argument, one little bit. Go when it's less busy, and you can wait in the lines, like everyone else. This is a good case, of I want my cake, and I want to eat it too. :shrug: Go off peak, and you will have a more enjoyable trip. Or should we revolve around you?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Honestly, i can think of almost no medical condition would require front of the line passage. Definately NOT just because one is in a wheelchair. The autistic child is a reason, or someone that has heat sensitive conditions, or of course Make a Wish children but that's pretty much it.
You can think of almost no medical condition that would require it and then you specify three? :lol:

If you think about it, there are likely hundreds [thousands?] of medical conditions that could qualify for some form of accommodation. I gave my own example earlier, I can walk for miles without issue, but being in a slow-moving line for more than half an hour can create a painful scenario. I don't ask for or expect "front-of-the-line" access, but where feasible I have used the wheelchair entrance of the FP entrance to avoid longer waits. There are many scenarios that would never occur to you simply because you've been fortunate enough not to experience them. Disney, to their credit, honestly makes an effort to deal with any disability issues brought to their attention in as reasonable a manner as they can. You are correct that being in a wheelchair is becoming less of a reason [though older rides like Peter Pan still bypass the line for wheelchairs]. If the line will accommodate the chair, then the chair goes throuh the line like everyone else unless there are other issues as well.

Disney05

Years ago, way before fastpass, we took my hadicapped family member to Disney. He was in a wheelchair. We were able to scoot to the front of the line for everything, all of us. I'm sure there were some people that were ed by it. I still see some people get a little y when a CM may have to stop a ride for a minute to help get a person with special needs on or off a ride. I hope that's the worst thing in life that happens to you, having to wait an extra minute or two waiting to get on a ride at Disney.

bakemma

If someone is healthy enough to play soccer and basketball I wouldn't think they and up to 11 other people should get a guest access card to skip the lines. just seems like that would be taking it too far.

I agree, if she plays sports and just has an insulin pump she should not be going to the front of the line.

mickey&me

We did

My son is diabetic, and we did this exact thing in Dec.

Standing in long lines causes peaks and drops in blood sugar levels, which can result in illness for the child, even hospitalization. The GAC is a God-send. Don't feel bad about using it. Disney has set the rules for its use. It works differently on every attraction. Show that card to the first cast member you see, and they will direct you where to go. Sometimes it's the FP line, sometimes it's a separate entrance, sometimes it's the regular line for a while, then a separate line.

One piece of unsolicited advice--pack plenty of snacks. Yes, you'll be surrounded by food, but you can't always get what you need. And don't be afraid to ask any CM for help. The guy who helped us get juice for my son was sweeping when we asked for help and disappeared immediately after getting us the juice. Also the chefs in the restaurants are extremely helpful, so have them note that you have a T1 diabetic in your party on every reservation you make.

Enjoy your trip!

WDI 1998

I'm so sorry to hear about your son! I hope you all have a wonderful trip that lifts his spirits. I also hope that the transplant is successful! I don't think anyone would ever argue front of the line priviledges for these kinds of situations.

Thank you! From everything I have heard and read I am sure we will have a excellent time. It is going to be a tough summer but I have high hopes we will get through it. His sister is going to donate some of her bone marrow to him and the Dr's say that will give him the best chance for recovery.

WDI 1998

Sorry to hear about your DS health. As for your visit, you will be treated like royalty. You will be given a GAC with a stoplight that says "Please expedite this guest's visit". No questions will be asked you will get to through FP or equivalent. If someone gives you problems ask for a manager. If I see you guys at Soarin' then I will make sure you guys get the best seats. ;)

You just may see us. There will be eight of us and one or all of us may be wearing Tee shirts that say "Ask me why Autumn is a hero." as well as our Make-a-wish buttons. Autumn is his older sister that will be donating some of her bone marrow for his transplant.

tigsmom

Thank you! From everything I have heard and read I am sure we will have a excellent time. It is going to be a tough summer but I have high hopes we will get through it. His sister is going to donate some of her bone marrow to him and the Dr's say that will give him the best chance for recovery.

((HUGS)) I will be keeping your family in my prayers.

bakemma

My son is diabetic, and we did this exact thing in Dec.

Standing in long lines causes peaks and drops in blood sugar levels, which can result in illness for the child, even hospitalization. The GAC is a God-send. Don't feel bad about using it. Disney has set the rules for its use. It works differently on every attraction. Show that card to the first cast member you see, and they will direct you where to go. Sometimes it's the FP line, sometimes it's a separate entrance, sometimes it's the regular line for a while, then a separate line.

One piece of unsolicited advice--pack plenty of snacks. Yes, you'll be surrounded by food, but you can't always get what you need. And don't be afraid to ask any CM for help. The guy who helped us get juice for my son was sweeping when we asked for help and disappeared immediately after getting us the juice. Also the chefs in the restaurants are extremely helpful, so have them note that you have a T1 diabetic in your party on every reservation you make.

Enjoy your trip!

STANDING causes drops and peaks in blood sugar levels? :veryconfu Test more often (as YOU SHOULD) but don't use it as an excuse to take advantage of a system designed for HANDICAPPED people. An autistic child that has a meltdown if they have to wait in line should stay at home with a suitable caregiver IMO.:zipit: Having said that, there are people MISSING LIMBS AND PARALIZED that need this type of system. I don't think Disney planned it to accomodate children with behavior issues or diabetes....

Eyorefan

STANDING causes drops and peaks in blood sugar levels? :veryconfu Test more often (as YOU SHOULD) but don't use it as an excuse to take advantage of a system designed for HANDICAPPED people. An autistic child that has a meltdown if they have to wait in line should stay at home with a suitable caregiver IMO.:zipit: Having said that, there are people MISSING LIMBS AND PARALIZED that need this type of system. I don't think Disney planned it to accomodate children with behavior issues or diabetes....

No offense, but I don't think you have a full understanding of people's situations so if I were you I would refrain from making those kinds of judgements.

There are lots of different kinds of diabetes and it affects people differently. The same with autsium. If a family with an autstic child avioded all situations that might result in a melt down many would never be able to leave their house, and that would hardly be helpful for the child.

smk

A severe drop in blood sugar levels causes people to DIE, not have a meltdown. If you have never traveled with a diabetic or even lived with one please don't judge. A blood sugar drop is very serious and scary for all involved and needs immediate attention, it is vital to get food or a drink in the person immediatey. Anything can cause it, testing more often may not even prevent it. Try to walk a mile in someones shoes before making a comment, it may help.

bakemma

A severe drop in blood sugar levels causes people to DIE, not have a meltdown. If you have never traveled with a diabetic or even lived with one please don't judge. A blood sugar drop is very serious and scary for all involved and needs immediate attention, it is vital to get food or a drink in the person immediatey. Anything can cause it, testing more often may not even prevent it. Try to walk a mile in someones shoes before making a comment, it may help.

We have a diabetic and walk in those "shoes" every day, our family does not feel this is a handicap.
IMO, which I am entitled to have, if an autistic child is having a meltdown obviously it is not a "magical" experience for them. Again, leave them at home with a qualified caregiver where they are more comfortable. Parents are often selfish and drag kids where they don't want to go or be because it's suppose to be "fun", exposing a special needs child to situations that cause them extreme stress, IN MY OWN OPINION, should be avoided.

KingStefan

Four our trip in July we're traveling with some friends and staying off site at a vacation home that we won in a charity auction last year.

Our friends' daughter, age 7, is diabetic ...

...Whether or not the girl's condition warrants any special treatment really shouldn't be your concern, because she isn't your daughter...

whether or not the girls condition warrants a guest access card wouldn't be any of my concern if the op hadn't asked for peoples input. trying reading their entire post before going on a rant next time.:wave:

No ranting here, friend...just giving my own input on how I'd handle the situation. I suppose it's worth as much (or as little) as anybody else's. Sorry if you felt singled out.

kimmychad, I think you totally missed the point of Wilt's remark. He was not addressing you when he said that it "shouldn't be your concern", he was addressing the OP, because the girl in question is not his daughter. Chill out and read carefully before flaming, please.

bakemma

You just may see us. There will be eight of us and one or all of us may be wearing Tee shirts that say "Ask me why Autumn is a hero." as well as our Make-a-wish buttons. Autumn is his older sister that will be donating some of her bone marrow for his transplant.

Autumn should get to sleep in the castle, she sounds like a real princess to me! :king: I hope your trip brings your family and your special boy much happiness and joy.

PotteryGal

That way you don't have to deal with them, huh? Some autistic children can wait in a line with no problem (like my son), others can't. The GAC gives those children the ability to wait in a less stressful situation if that is what works for them.
Autistic children can benefit greatly from the experiences of Disney World. They shouldn't be hidden at home because they become overwhelmed at times. Please educate yourself on this issue so your opinion is at least informed.

KingStefan

I think some of you (the angriest) have missed the point. The OP doesn't say (and maybe doesn't know) how his friend's daughter needs to be accomodated and why. If her doctor wants her to be accomodated in a particular way, then it is not our place to say that she should or should not have a GAC, and what she should be entitled to.

People who are saying "she shouldn't have a GAC, because it's only diabetes and that's abuse" are speaking out of ignorance. You are not her doctor, and the OP hasn't said specifically what the required accomodations are and why.

Diabetes is a complicated and misunderstood disease. I have diabetes. However, my particular variety and seriousness does not prevent me from standing in long lines at this time. Those of you who are saying "I know a diabetic and he has no problems with the lines" are also speaking out of ignorance. One example does not mean that someone else doesn't need different accomodations. I can think of lots of reasons why a diabetic's doctor might not want a person standing in long lines. But I'm not even going to put them forth here, because I don't know the girls specific accomodation needs, and I would just be speaking out of ignorance or speculating meaninglessly.

I dislike it when people are judgemental, especially when they don't know what they are talking about.

WDI 1998

We have a diabetic and walk in those "shoes" every day, our family does not feel this is a handicap.
IMO, which I am entitled to have, if an autistic child is having a meltdown obviously it is not a "magical" experience for them. Again, leave them at home with a qualified caregiver where they are more comfortable. Parents are often selfish and drag kids where they don't want to go or be because it's suppose to be "fun", exposing a special needs child to situations that cause them extreme stress, IN MY OWN OPINION, should be avoided.

I beg to differ with you. My son is Autistic and unfortunatly his connection with the world is different that most people. These meltdowns are a result of his not being able to understand why he has to wait. He did not ask to be born this way, nor did his mother. His being able to not have to wait in a long line for his favorite ride (which happens to be Buzzlightyears Space Ranger Spin) not only is a kindness to him but to all the others in the line that would have to listen to him during his meltdown. We as a family do not use the GAC if he is not riding a ride that we want to go on. In these cases we get fastpasses or wait in line like everyone else.

I personally find your statement about special needs kids being left at home offensive. Who are you to judge if they enjoy themselves? I know for a fact they do and have seen my son go from being afraid of Buzz on one trip to getting hugs from him on the next trip a year later. So not only does he really enjoy the experiences he has as Disney he has grown from them as well.

From the things you say it sounds to me like you have never had any close contact with a person with special needs. Maybe you should take some time to get to know some of these kids and find out there is so much more to them than what you see from a distance.

And Yes you are entitled to your opinion but that does not necessaraly mean you are right.

WDI 1998

Autumn should get to sleep in the castle, she sounds like a real princess to me! :king: I hope your trip brings your family and your special boy much happiness and joy.

Yes, Autumn is an exteremly special girl who is selflessly doing this to save her brothers life. She has not asked for any special treatment or gifts. My wife and I are doing the Tee shirts in a way to tell her how we all feel about what she is doing.

bakemma

That way you don't have to deal with them, huh? Some autistic children can wait in a line with no problem (like my son), others can't. The GAC gives those children the ability to wait in a less stressful situation if that is what works for them.
Autistic children can benefit greatly from the experiences of Disney World. They shouldn't be hidden at home because they become overwhelmed at times. Please educate yourself on this issue so your opinion is at least informed.

No further education needed, my common sense tells me it is SELFISH to take a special needs child (OR ANY CHILD FOR THAT MATTER) into a situation that totally stresses them BECAUSE you don't want to stay home. I'm not advocating hiding special needs children at home, geesh. :mad: I firmly believe children that cannot enjoy themselves OR BEHAVE in an atomosphere should not be forced to go there. Postpone your trip or find a suitable alternative but don't drag the child along because it's to your benefit. Again, that is my own opinion, which I am entitled to have and freely post on this website because this is America :sohappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom