Does Eating At A Disney Resort Count?

jjgoo

The World of Disney store in NYC is run by the Disney Parks. My wife actually received a magical moment certificate there for her birthday and the CMs were certainly as friendly as they are in Orlando.

If it had not been 5th ave that I could see through the window outside it certainly felt like we were at Disney.

I say if you are on the property and you feel the magic then you can say you had a trip. You may want to qualify to people asking that it was only for dinner or a quick shopping experience but that is entirely up to you and your inner cricket.:rolleyes:

My personal feeling being several states away is that if all I could get to experience was dinner at the Boardwalk it would not be an ideal trip to WDW but it would be a trip.

poohbear6103

I think there is a difference between "being" at Disney and "vacationing" at Disney. Although I only think "vacationing" at Disney is a trip, whether it is staying for a day because you are a local or staying 12 days. At the same time, I think it is how you word your answer: "Yes I have eaten at the Boardwalk, but have not vacationed at WDW". The reason I would say it this way is if they asked me and I said "no", what would I say if they answered, "Oh too bad. There is this really great resort called Boardwalk and they have jugglers and surrey bikes and restaurants and dance clubs. It's great. You should really go". I think that would really confuse the person if I said "Well, yeah I know, I've been there" :confused:

jiddng

I believe the OP's original question was "If you had only had a meal at a Disney resort (Boardwalk was the example), would it qualify you as having 'been' to WDW?"

JJGOO has the best answer I've seen so far:

The World of Disney store in NYC is run by the Disney Parks. My wife actually received a magical moment certificate there for her birthday and the CMs were certainly as friendly as they are in Orlando.

If it had not been 5th ave that I could see through the window outside it certainly felt like we were at Disney.

I say if you are on the property and you feel the magic then you can say you had a trip. You may want to qualify to people asking that it was only for dinner or a quick shopping experience but that is entirely up to you and your inner cricket.:rolleyes:

My personal feeling being several states away is that if all I could get to experience was dinner at the Boardwalk it would not be an ideal trip to WDW but it would be a trip.

Well said! If you've experienced Disney magic, whether you were in a park, at dinner, in a shop.... then you've been to WDW!

Nemo14

2 summers ago, my DD and I flew down to Orlando to attend my niece's bridal shower. On our way to pick up my mom in Groveland, we made a quick stop at DTD for a little Disney fix (and a Ghiradelli's sundae!). We counted that! :)

CoffeeJedi

On the day after Christmas, my wife and I stopped in DTD on way back home from visiting her family. We checked out the shops, got a snack, and rode the little boat from the Marketplace to the West Side. I think that counts as visit (the boat ride made it legit). Certainly not a vacation though! Because I was already there in September, I sort of rolled this visit into my single 2006 trip.

If we had time though, we were planning on doing a day of DTD, riding the monorail, and checking out the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I think I would have counted that as a "trip".

DSNYKID

Original Poster
I cannot see how dinner at a resort doesnt count.

In a court of law... if they ask you to answer yes or no only... without elaboration...

Have you been to Disney World in Florida... YES or NO... you must answer yes

ypcat

But does it really matter? Other than to prove your wife wrong...what's the point? Plus, I've never found proving my wife wrong to be good for me.

DSNYKID

Original Poster
But does it really matter? Other than to prove your wife wrong...what's the point? Plus, I've never found proving my wife wrong to be good for me.

Of course it matters... it matters to her... she is really enjoying this thread until someone gets a bit negative.

lilclerk

I cannot see how dinner at a resort doesnt count.

In a court of law... if they ask you to answer yes or no only... without elaboration...

Have you been to Disney World in Florida... YES or NO... you must answer yes

Yes. Outside a court of law with elaboration? Yes, but yadda yadda yadda.

head mouse

No. I'm not assuming that they have been there before. That doesn't matter. I still think that experiencing any part of Disney World is experiencing Walt Disney World.

So then your saying going to the mall and going into the Disney store is the same as going to the parks?

head mouse

Going out to eat, don't mater where the restaurant is located is not the same as "experiencing" the parks. So I say no. You have to go into the parks to be considered a trip to WDW. Other wise it's just a trip to WDW property.

jjgoo

You know, I've been to Universal City Walk in both LA and Orlando. While I have not been in the parks, I certainly had to pay for parking and wait in lines so I certainly think I have been to Universal. I usually tell people it was only City Walk (and I use a different word than "City" :ROFLOL: )

My point?

Well the more I read other opinions the more I feel that YES dinner at WDW counts as a trip. So DSNYKID you definitely have my vote for having one more trip than your wife.

You should be careful though because now she might want to sneak off to WDW without you to even the score. :D

Great thread, by the way, I'm enjoying reading it all.

wdwnj

when we at that the world last month i was trying to purchase a wind breaker/pull over that came in red and blue that said in corner front wdw 1970 to that effect--did not have my size (they run short and small)--need 3xxx only came in 2xx at the time--cm said would be available in near future up to 5xxxxx--is there a way to purchase is item of clothing without going to the world or will i just use that as an excuse to return to purchase this jacket item:lol: :lol: :lol: ---if anybody knows how to purchase this item that is sold in the disney resorts only please inform me--thanks

CBOMB

My husband is thinking of going there one year and not doing Disney...the blasphemy!:fork:

Out of curiousity, why this question in the 1st place? Who's winning? You or your wife?
That could possibly be grounds for divorce>:D
DSNYKID ask your wife to answer this. I visited a friend on Long Island I had never been to New York City, so we hopped a train and headed in. We didn't go to the Empire State building or the Statue of Liberty or any of those things out of towners liked to do. We didn't even ride the subway. We hit a couple of bars, and hopped a train back to Smithtown. Now I might not have experienced all the great things N.Y.C. has to offer, but the question is
have I been to N.Y.C. and if the answer is no, where was I then? Wives or right 99% of the time, but I think she needs to concede this one to you.

DSNYKID

Original Poster
That could possibly be grounds for divorce>:D
DSNYKID ask your wife to answer this. I visited a friend on Long Island I had never been to New York City, so we hopped a train and headed in. We didn't go to the Empire State building or the Statue of Liberty or any of those things out of towners liked to do. We didn't even ride the subway. We hit a couple of bars, and hopped a train back to Smithtown. Now I might not have experienced all the great things N.Y.C. has to offer, but the question is
have I been to N.Y.C. and if the answer is no, where was I then? Wives or right 99% of the time, but I think she needs to concede this one to you.

First of all... let me start by saying that the wife and I are not in a heated debate over the issue. It's just friendly bantering and... she is coming around to see that most folks would consider it on the list of visits to Disney World.

She is a stubborn one though... so she will never whole heartedly give me my extra trip. She liked the idea of an earlier poster that said an asterisk should go next to it. I disagree. I say, no astrisk required!

Keep the responses coming, this has been a great post for us and many others on here!

DSNYKID

Original Poster
New Information!

Someone just told me that if you punch up Walt Disney World on a GPS system it will take you to the Transportation Center. Maybe that counts.

ypcat

New Information!

Someone just told me that if you punch up Walt Disney World on a GPS system it will take you to the Transportation Center. Maybe that counts.

But Boardwalk is quite a distance from TTC. Take my advice and just let your wife win ;)

Gorjus

Understanding that DISNYKID said he and his wife were just having some good natured bantering over this and not fighting, I am still reminded of a story.

A pastor of a church said that he counseled lots of couples in pre-marital counseling. His number one advice to men is "never win an argument with your wife." In his marriage he is 0 for 150. He said, even if you win the argument, you have lost.

Women have something men want and men will do whatever it takes to continue to receive it.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom