Does anyone NOT like Flight of Passage?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Uh...uh...;)
I don't like the pre-show, I'm always the only one in my group not moving my arms and legs while "scanned"! :cautious:

I don't know if I'd do the Stand-by line for more than 90mins., but with a FP, heck yeah!
I enjoy the ride itself.

sallyslater

My two “problems” with it:

1. Why would Disney choose to create a fully immmersive themed land off... Avatar?

2. It’s a simulator... but at least it is an INCREDIBLE simulator. It’s just that simulators tend to age poorly (just look at some of Universal’s). I prefer “timeless” feeling attractions (HM, ToT, Everest).

It is still a Disney masterpiece despite these two things.

awoogala

it's a good to great "ride" (the breathing always gets me)... based on a a movie I despise, characters I hate, an ip that is blah, and an insane amount of money and effort that all felt like a big, angry "we didn't win potter" so, yeah, I'll ride it with a fp, but without it? never. and the whole land is ..well...it's an impressive amount of money spent on characters and a world my entire family couldn't care less about... so we go in for our fp, and leave, immediately. wooh, floating rocks.... I'm like.. "wish they had built the dragon cave and the unicorn thing" and... "wish I was at diagon alley". honestly. so yeah, I'll still get on at 7 am to get that fp if we're going, but if I didn't... we wouldn't even enter avatar world, honestly. (we're a family of 44, 47, married, with a nerdy 16 and 14 yr. olds.- we'll all spend hours in Hp land, though)

awoogala

But there are many people who are also just large in size, not because they are overweight, obese or from not caring for themselves. Disneys ride vehicles just arent able to hold those guests and they should be accommodated. Just building in a couple of + sized spots wouldnt hurt.
I have to lift my (ridiculous-sized) up on the chest thing. so I can breathe. just saying. bodies come in many shapes.

awoogala

I have to lift my (ridiculous-sized) ******* up on the chest thing. so I can breathe. just saying. bodies come in many shapes.
also. chickens have the word I used. it's technical. I am HYSTERICALLY snorting my wine at the moment because this site just censored the anatomically correct word.. for the human version of the white meat of a chicken .. what if I were talking about fried chicken.. I like legs, or thighs, no, I only eat white meat, so I order the . (I am posting this just to see if it is ***** out, now)

macsmom

So what is it about the ride that they could not put in a car for a wheelchair? I understand that they strap you in somehow, but they could have done that for chairs, too. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't accommodate wheelchairs.

Joeamc

So what is it about the ride that they could not put in a car for a wheelchair? I understand that they strap you in somehow, but they could have done that for chairs, too. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't accommodate wheelchairs.
Handicapped needs should have been incorporated in the ride.. Absolutely, no doubt! Pretty disappointing

Last edited:

cheezbat

Flight of Passage is right up there with Unviersals other screen based rides. Oh wait...this ride is a Disney ride so it’s the best ever! 🧐

Honestly it’s a good ride but not the be-all, end-all so many people make it out to be. It’s not even in my top ten in America, let alone Orlando.

Rides that are memorable: re-ridable, have a fantastic musical score, memorable characters, fantastic animatronics, amazing set pieces....things like that are what build a ride to become iconic and classic. I personally think in a matter of years FoP will be nothing more than a ‘good’ or ‘great’ ride, but definitely not the best.

OG Runner

I am sorry, I really like FOP. I feel it is a bit better than a number of the Universal screen rides, in that it feels more individualized.
You are on your own banshee, you can feel it breath. It would be as if they took the Fallon ride and everyone was in their own car.
I am not knocking Universal, Spiderman, Transformers, & Fallon are all very enjoyable rides.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
I saw Avatar in true IMAX 3D. I hated the movie for numerous reasons, but the technology was amazing - it was the first 3D movie that used the technology in a game-changing way. I described it as "looking like a Disney ride." That turned out to be true - Navi River Journey is the movie come to life (well, an incredibly small portion of the movie at least!).

FOP is a great ride. The queue is amazing, the feeling of your Banshee breathing is quintessential Disney. But it seemed to me that it was just the "thrilling" moments from Soarin' in a different package. It is in my Top 10, but behind ToT, Splash, Everest and others.

One of the biggest issues with the ride is its inability to accommodate all body types! It is a motion simulator - there is simply no excuse not to be able to have everyone ride it.

Tom Morrow

The pre-show is stupid, you sometimes get the CM that slams the seatback on you very hard (it’s been slammed so hard on me I audibly let out a “WT eff” in response) and the ride is good for a sim, but it’s still a sim. Really no better than Soarin’, just less comfortable. It’s a decent ride but I’d never wait if I didn’t have a FP. I don’t quite get the fervor where people will routinely wait 3+ hours for it.
It's way better than Soarin'. Did you ride while unconscious?

doctornick

It's not my favorite ride, but I do firmly believe FoP does one thing great - it sells the conceit of the ride better than anything I have ever experienced. They whole process really makes you feel like you are "in" an Avatar and riding a banshee. There are other rides I enjoy more, but (for example) I never truly feel like I'm on a flying bench on FJ or fighting villains on Spider-Man or inside a ghost filled house in HM, etc. As great as those and other rides are and how you can get enthralled by the story, FoP does a better job of making you forget/be able to ignore you are on a ride and convince you the thing you are pretending to be doing is happening. Not perfect of course, but more convincing than what has come before.

ruthann

Unfortunately, when we were there Christmas week, we could not get a Fass Pass the entire week (even 60 days out), so never got to ride it. And NO ride, is worth a 4 hour wait, so we just moved on. Never saw Avatar anyway, so I don't think I am missing anything.

BillW

I like it, but my complaint is re-rideability due to it being a screen ride.

I’ve probably ridden it 25 times or so and it’s nowhere near as satisfying or intense as the first few times. It’s like your brain gets used to it.

I prefer physical experiences and practical effects like in the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain.
When comparing FOP to Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain, I agree. I'm not sure if I speak for most, but since I live in Michigan I don't get the opportunity to ride such rides often. When I do it is exciting and all new again. Had I rode it 25 times in the short time it has been open I would probably be sick of it as well. The perk of visiting Disney once every other year.

OG Runner

Unfortunately, when we were there Christmas week, we could not get a Fass Pass the entire week (even 60 days out), so never got to ride it. And NO ride, is worth a 4 hour wait, so we just moved on. Never saw Avatar anyway, so I don't think I am missing anything.

You are missing a little something, it is a cool ride, but I completely agree with you, NO ride is worth a 4 hour wait. Maybe next time.
I think once you ride it you will enjoy it. It is amazing to me that the wait times are still as long as they are for this ride.

KimAnnFran

I've never ridden this, tho been to WDW 16 times. or maybe 17. Anyway, never experienced it yet....worth the visit to AK?

P.S. is it true that overweight people cannot fit?

spacethunder

Original Poster
You are missing a little something, it is a cool ride, but I completely agree with you, NO ride is worth a 4 hour wait. Maybe next time.
I think once you ride it you will enjoy it. It is amazing to me that the wait times are still as long as they are for this ride.

Man, I wonder if when I rode it that day the wait was actually 4 hours, and the ride wasn't down. Most definitely no ride is worth waiting 4 hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom