Does anyone NOT like Flight of Passage?

spacethunder

Original Poster
I rode FOP for the first (and only) time about a year and a half ago. I was super excited to try it. I got to AK at opening (not magic hours), and the park was absolutely PACKED. It was a slow walk to Pandora, and the lineup was absolutely insane. The end of the line started at almost the entrance to the land (on the bridge).

The ride broke down, or was not taking full capacity. This basically ruined my experience. From the time I got in line, to the time I exited the ride, was approximately 4 hours. (FOUR).

As for the ride itself; the queue is absolutely crazy awesome. The best I've seen quite easily. The ride, well it was ok. The ride itself is amazing, but I'm a big guy, and I did not fit very comfortably in the ride vehicle. So the ride was in fact physically painful, though visually beautiful.

While I realize that I was unlucky that day, the only possible way I will go on this ride again is if I have a fastpass. Frankly, I'm not a fan. Does anyone else not like this ride? I know it's very popular...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
You'll always be able to find at least someone who won't like something...

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

I like it, but my complaint is re-rideability due to it being a screen ride.

I’ve probably ridden it 25 times or so and it’s nowhere near as satisfying or intense as the first few times. It’s like your brain gets used to it.

I prefer physical experiences and practical effects like in the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain.

Schneewittchen

Hate it. Don't think my tummy can tolerate it a second time.

All the screeny, motiony rides make me queasy. Motion sickness I guess. And the last time I went on Star Tours some lady puked all over the place, oh god the smell, and we were trapped for several minutes until a CM could "rescue" us. Not sure I'll be able to get on it ever again.

Soarin is great, but I still feel a little green around the edges afterwards....

LUVofDIS

I feel it's a good ride but not a great ride. A great ride for me would be a ride like Splash, it has drama,, comedy, immersion, a memorable tune and a thrilling drop.

I did the After Hours party in December at AK and after riding FoP four times in a row, it got boring. Probably more because of the pre show, but even the actual ride just became okay.

That night we rode EE at least four or five times in a row and it never got boring and the only reason we stopped was because the park was closing. For me, EE has much more character and vibe, even with the disco Yeti.

FoP is great for what it is, I just don't see it becoming a classic like other rides have. It has extreme immersion but mot much else.

Chef Mickey

I feel it's a good ride but not a great ride. A great ride for me would be a ride like Splash, it has drama,, comedy, immersion, a memorable tune and a thrilling drop.

I did the After Hours party in December at AK and after riding FoP four times in a row, it got boring. Probably more because of the pre show, but even the actual ride just became okay.

That night we rode EE at least four or five times in a row and it never got boring and the only reason we stopped was because the park was closing. For me, EE has much more character and vibe, even with the disco Yeti.

FoP is great for what it is, I just don't see it becoming a classic like other rides have. It has extreme immersion but mot much else.
I think the lack of memorable music is a really good point.

There certainly is nothing like the Ghost Host or Grimm Grinning Ghosts.

DisAl

I agree. The pre-show is an annoying waste of time. Makes the attraction take too long
Yes, but if you were not waiting there you would be waiting somewhere else. It is just something else to make the line seem like something other than a line, and to have the correct number of people in each group to fill every slot. It would actually help speed the overall process because they can move each new group in quickly, wasting as little time as possible between rides.

Kingoglow

Sure. but to goto into a little room to be scanned, just to move into another little room to get scanned again, only to - you guessed it - move into another little room to get scanned again. It is just an uninspired imagineering decision.

Tom Morrow

I love Flight of Passage, but it absolutely does lose some of the impact once you've ridden it a few times. My first time I had tears in my eyes because it felt like a beautiful, almost spiritual out of body experience.

Also more than perhaps any other ride, how much you get out of it is strongly dependent on your current state of mind and how much you're able to suspend disbelief. Sometimes I'm able to completely lose myself in the experience, other times I feel distracted or stressed or whatever and it just feels like another simulator, albeit still one of the best, and the best theater-based simulator.

I also think that getting the bottom row of seats somehow makes it slightly less thrilling. You rise and drop the same distance as the other floors, but you can just tell that you're closer to the ground even if you can't see the floor, and I think that detracts from the feeling of flying dizzying heights.

Also, I highly recommend this video (and this guy's channel overall). Flight of Passage is up there with the all time greats in terms of attraction design.

That said, they should probably replace the "Uh" guy.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

I thought it was great, but I had an unexpected major gripe that interfered with the realism for me, big-time. Here I am, "riding" on the back of this gorgeous winged creature, living and breathing beneath me...
...except that it isn't. It's completely invisible, or at least wingless and headless. HEADLESS, I say!!!

I realize this decision was probably made to ensure that riders would have an unimpeded, panoramic view of the scenery at all times, but it just ruins the illusion that you're really doing what the ride "tells" you you're doing.

That's my only disappointment with FoP, however (unless you count the fact that there's no alternative, stationery viewing area for people who can't transfer from wheelchairs, or who don't fit into the ride vehicle but would still at least like to see the visuals -- that's a giant oversight IMO). I admire the technology and the quality of the CGI and will gladly make it my #1 FP priority at AK going forward... although if I can't get one, I'll skip it. There are only a handful of attractions at WDW I'd wait more than 20 minutes for, and FoP doesn't make the cut.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Yes, but if you were not waiting there you would be waiting somewhere else. It is just something else to make the line seem like something other than a line, and to have the correct number of people in each group to fill every slot. It would actually help speed the overall process because they can move each new group in quickly, wasting as little time as possible between rides.
Yeah, this. Everyone understands that other people are riding the ride while you're watching the pre-shows, right?

Sure. but to goto into a little room to be scanned, just to move into another little room to get scanned again, only to - you guessed it - move into another little room to get scanned again. It is just an uninspired imagineering decision.
There are only two pre-show rooms before boarding, and you only get "scanned" in the first one. The amount of scanning "procedures" they perform depends on if there are delays somewhere.

ppet

I was prepared to not like it because I didn't like the movie, but I did like the movie. I will be riding again, but If I had to choose between the two it would be EE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom