Doctor arrested for allegedly kicking son in face at Epcot

The Empress Lilly

Vacations are often not at all the relaxing experience they are made out to be. On vacation, families are stuck with each other 24/7, outside of their daily routine, stressed out. Simmering tensions come to the fore. They'll be at each other's throat more often than not.

At WDW vacation perhaps even more so.

It is hot, tiring, stressful. There are tight schedules and deadlines and appointments to be met, constantly (thanks Disney, so much for relaxing vacations).
Smaller kids don't appreciate WDW half as much as the tv commercial made the parents believe. In fact, the kids are exposed to a punishing climate for too long, exhausted, dragged along all day long, while expected to be at their shiny happiest best constantly, smiling fuzzballs of gratitude.

The amount of variations I've seen on 'you spoiled brat we take you to Disney and THIS is how you behave!?'
Sometimes simply for being tired, for crying, dehydrated, overwhelmed with impressions and experiences.

WDW1974

Vacations are often not at all the relaxing experience they are made out to be. On vacation, families are stuck with each other 24/7, outside of their daily routine, stressed out. Simmering tensions come to the fore. They'll be at each other's throat more often than not.

It is hot, tiring, stressful. There are tight schedules and deadlines and appointments to be met, constantly (thanks Disney, so much for relaxing vacations).
Smaller kids don't appreciate WDW half as much as the tv commercial made the parents believe. In fact, the kids are exposed to a punishing climate for too long, exhausted, dragged along all day long, while expected to be at their shiny happiest best constantly, smiling fuzzballs of gratitude.

The amount of variations I've seen on 'you spoiled brat we take you to Disney and THIS is how you behave!?'
Sometimes simply for being tired, for crying, dehydrated, overwhelmed with impressions and experiences.

Oh, I agree. But my father never kicked me in the head at WDW. Actually, he never kicked me at all. ... And I was one bratty wittle Spirit. Still am!

Tim_4

Don't forget expensive. When people drop that kind of cash, the pressure for everything to be perfect is intensified.

The Mom

Premium Member
Looks like one of the mods isn't out watching fireworks tonight!

How unAmerican!:)
Fireworks are tomorrow night around here. The mosquitoes are fierce, so I think I'll stay home this year.

In their final years, my parents, rest their souls, had a front row view from their apartment window, so I could watch in air conditioned comfort on the 4th, and warmth on New Year's Eve.

Tim_4

Go to 5:50

The Empress Lilly

Oh, I agree. But my father never kicked me in the head at WDW. Actually, he never kicked me at all. ... And I was one bratty wittle Spirit. Still am!
But you are a big smiling fuzzball of normality! How could anyone ever kick you?

But to understand, and prevent or catch, the berserking hick, the confused stressed out Italian, one needs to understand their circumstances, understand what drove them. Many did not wake up that day expecting to end it taking a frustrated kick at a stroller.

Sometimes, often, a child abuser is just a ******, and efforts should be concentrated on sheer repression.
If you took out your belt and came running, then odds are you enjoy it and will never stop until they make you. But it is also possible that otherwise mostly nomal people can end up entirely frtustrated, angry.

WDW1974

Don't forget expensive. When people drop that kind of cash, the pressure for everything to be perfect is intensified.

I had that conversation (in a different context, not child abuse) with a friend earlier. I agree that when you spend what Disney charges, especially in these awful economic times, that you want everyone to enjoy themselves and you push and that's when nerves fray. You can't force someone to have fun, even with a gun!

But I do recall being at the MK on 7/4/99 and standing in front of Pooh with a friend and making a game out of trying to count smiles (because we felt that meant people were happy) and in 45 minutes we barely got to 100, even including smirks and half-smiles etc.

And at the risk of getting the WDW fanbois all coming at me with bottle rockets in their pockets (OK, I am really not trying to ryhme here ... what is going on? Not to mention how that could be read!), but that is why I also enjoy DLR more. It's always a more laidback relaxed crowd (although you still get crazies) and I think that's because everything is convenient, the weather is almost always better, you don't have to plan meals six months out and if you want a 99 cent burger or $5 footlong sub, or better options, those are also a quick walk away.

WDW1974

Fireworks are tomorrow night around here. The mosquitoes are fierce, so I think I'll stay home this year.

In their final years, my parents, rest their souls, had a front row view from their apartment window, so I could watch in air conditioned comfort on the 4th, and warmth on New Year's Eve.

They are also tonight at MK (DL actually runs them July 1-4) and mosquitos and the Fourth go together like mustard on a hot dog (btw, anyone here put mayo on a hot dog? I think that is an act against nature!)

Sounds like you had quite the view!!! I have friends in Windermere who can see the Disney pyro from their homes, although one who had a perfect view of MK's from his yard doesn't anymore due to new construction across the road.

I haven't decided what I'll do tomorrow ... after awhile, when you've seen so much pyro, it isn't a 'must' on the 4th.

WDW1974

Sometimes, often, a child abuser is just a ******, and efforts should be concentrated on sheer repression.
If you took out your belt and came running, then odds are you enjoy it and will never stop until they make you. But it is also possible that otherwise mostly nomal people can end up entirely frtustrated, angry.

We are all capable of being frustrated and angry and taking it out where we shouldn't ... but there's a line when someone 'snaps' and abuses another person or even an animal. Those people have violent tendencies, and while I don't believe everyone should be locked up, just like I don't believe every child molestor should be treated like Jerry Sandusky, there is NO justification for their behavior. None.

It's reprehensible.

Tim_4

And at the risk of getting the WDW fanbois all coming at me with bottle rockets in their pockets (OK, I am really not trying to ryhme here ... what is going on? Not to mention how that could be read!), but that is why I also enjoy DLR more. It's always a more laidback relaxed crowd (although you still get crazies) and I think that's because everything is convenient, the weather is almost always better, you don't have to plan meals six months out and if you want a 99 cent burger or $5 footlong sub, or better options, those are also a quick walk away.
Interesting analysis. I haven't made it out to DLR yet so I can't comment on the comparison, but I'm a regular (at least once a week) at WDW. I was speaking to a cast member once about whether they ever got sick of seeing IllumiNations every single night. They said that they don't watch the show anymore. They watch the faces of the people watching the show and it never gets old because in that moment, the fights about where to use a Fastpass and whether they'd be late for their ressie at Akershus forgotten and families are just together. I know some people go overboard with their WDW intensity but I still see the magic in peoples' eyes.

EvilQueen-T

if that's what he does in public at a place like disney then you know he's twice as abusive at home where no one is watching.

ExtinctJenn

Saw something similar last August at MK. On our way out of MK, there was a mother screaming at her 3 or 4 year old daughter. They were over by the tunnel under the RR station. As she was screaming at her daughter, a POS I assume was the father starts screaming " No , I got this. I got this" as he came running from the sweet shop. Then to my absolute amazement... he pulled of a belt and whipped the poor girl 2 or 3 times. I, and plenty of others immediately said "Enough!" at which point the mother began charging other females who were telling him to stop, and the father then started charging myself and other men telling him to stop. We told the cast member at the pin stand... to call security. After a few minutes security was there as well as a Sheriff from(is it Orange County) was there. They immediately pulled the POS off stage as the mother kept ranting" You ain't gonna tell me how to raise my child!" People were screaming at him from above on the RR Platform and there were many telling him to stop. The father and mother did not tocuh anyone else... but did charge many people(including me) yelling profanities. There were plenty of people around if he was stupid enough to "throw down" with one of us... we all had each others back. My wife and 3 kids were crying because of this POS. Makes you wonder, if they would do that in the MK... what goes on at home?
What amazes me is the parents who say that line... the "you ain't gonna tell me how to raise my child" line... they actually think what they are doing is ok. Even better they really believe they have the right to do it. They truly believe the child has absolutely no rights. Anyone... and I do mean anyone... who would beat a child like this is not only ignorant but a coward.

ExtinctJenn

Tim_4 said:
I don't care how stressed, tense, hot, tired or exhausted you are or how much money you spent to go... there is no excuse for this type of behavior from a parent. If you can't parent your child and your only answer when they misbehave is to whip them with a belt or kick them in a face, you don't deserve to experience the joys of parenthood. In my opinion, you don't even deserve to experience life, unless it's life behind bars (preferably with some guy who calls you his play thing so you can see what it's like to be helpless).

mollydtt

I realize that vacations can be stressful, but there is something really wrong with a big guy physically injuring a helpless toddler strapped into a stroller.
Sometimes legal action is the only way for some to feel "remorse"---not really "sorry" for what they did, but at least sorry that they got caught.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom