Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

Dear god.

If you want to go strict econ here...it’s actually never been cheaper for the US government to borrow money...which means they can make it at Will.

But you’re not trying to do the nonsense “deficit hawk” thing are you? Does anyone fall for that anymore?

The interest rate is just the carrying cost on the debt. The more dollars that are printed, the less each one will be worth when it is not backed by GDP growth. Paying people not to work doesn't grow the GDP.

MissViv

Exactly, WDW needs out of state residents to make money. If I had a July trip planned this year, I would be canceling that trip, and unless something drastically changes in the next 6 weeks I’ll be canceling my October trip.

I’m not alone.

I'm with you 100%. It gets scarier every day. My trip is in late October and unless I see drastic changes (which I doubt), I will be cancelling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CP fall 2020 program cancelled - but to me that is more about $$ - but it may create some staffing challenges.
College program costs them nothing. So that tells you it’s not about savings.

They make money off them.
To be honest I’ve not thought about it with everything else happening
I’ll do it for you...oh hell yeah we are gonna see a ton of jobs eliminated and a renewed push for more streamlining and automation coming out of this.
I can only control what I do, and others will decide for themselves. I choose to remain hopeful and not waste my time worrying and obsessing over things I can’t control.
But a company such as Disney with such huge financial concerns can’t rely on the intelligence of its customers...nor should you.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The interest rate is just the carrying cost on the debt. The more dollars that are printed, the less each one will be worth when it is not backed by GDP growth. Paying people not to work doesn't grow the GDP.
I understand that...but this is a “stopgap” mode like we have never seen. Already and that’s assuming the first partial - very partial - shutdown worked.

Debt concerns are always 100% politics...none of them practice what they preach. It’s just for leverage.

Now won’t be the time it changes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is what I suspect. Also DCP living conditions are dorms - very hard to quarantine and primed for COVID spread. Not hard to envision a mass spread in the DCP program of asymptomatic cases.
It’s very likely that the threat of flashpoint is the sole reasoning behind suspension of the program.

For any of us that have spent time around the “program”, it’s easy to say with certainty that expecting the residents to practice social responsibility is like leaving scissors all over the daycare center.

bartholomr4

I’ll do it for you...oh hell yeah we are gonna see a ton of jobs eliminated and a renewed push for more streamlining and automation coming out of this.

I agree, but don't think there is anything magical about this quarters earnings announcement which would make Disney wait. If they are going to layoff people, there is no need to wait. The reason they would wait would be to see how many of us are going to visit, what the normalized volume would be and if the much discussed increase in cases, manifests itself into additional hospitalizations and serious cases. Those of us who would consider visiting this summer are likely re-thinking our plans, and Disney will not need to make the decision, it will be made by the customer for them. We will either show up in droves, or stay home, or most likely do a little of both.

chriskbrown

It’s very likely that the threat of flashpoint is the sole reasoning behind suspension of the program.

For any of us that have spent time around the “program”, it’s easy to say with certainty that expecting the residents to practice social responsibility is like leaving scissors all over the daycare center.
LOL - expecting a 20 year old me to practice social distancing around a bunch of coeds - not even remotely feasible or reasonable explanation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I agree, but don't think there is anything magical about this quarters earnings announcement which would make Disney wait. If they are going to layoff people, there is no need to wait. The reason they would wait would be to see how many of us are going to visit, what the normalized volume would be and if the much discussed increase in cases, manifests itself into additional hospitalizations and serious cases. Those of us who would consider visiting this summer are likely re-thinking our plans, and Disney will not need to make the decision, it will be made by the customer for them. We will either show up in droves, or stay home, or most likely do a little of both.
I think the theory was that the fiscal year ended Tuesday...first quarter ends 9/30...then a big “response” would be required on 10/1...

Only on Wall Street can you lose money, Fire your staff, Everyone knows it’s coming...and your stock goes up 😂

legwand77

One interesting thing is in South Florida/Miami Dade the hardest hit area, with by far the most cases in the state today, this week and all along hospital capacity has been improving. Miami/Dade, today with 62% ICU capacity available and 39% capacity of non-icu bed available and that doesn't even include the surge capacity that is available. Solidly in the green normal zone. Hope that continues to play out, that hospitals are handling the cases fine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One interesting thing is in South Florida/Miami Dade the hardest hit area, with by far the most cases in the state today, this week and all along hospital capacity has been improving. Miami/Dade, today with 62% ICU capacity available and 39% capacity of non-icu bed available and that doesn't even include the surge capacity that is available. Solidly in the green normal zone. Hope that continues to play out, that hospitals are handling the cases fine.
Right...let’s keep rolling the dice while the tables are HOT, baby!!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
That is what I suspect. Also DCP living conditions are dorms - very hard to quarantine and primed for COVID spread. Not hard to envision a mass spread in the DCP program of asymptomatic cases.

DCP dorms have already had flareups of other more "fun related" illnesses before, so... yeah. COVID in the dorms would turn them into a hotspot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom