Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

techgeek

That’s a dangerous precedent. Even we’re tested at work twice a day and I don’t work in a theme park.

I’m a little confused here... I thought basically temp checks were going to be an aspect of the security zone. At the Springs for instance I assume everyone, cast, 3rd party employees , and guests, has to go through the same screening checkpoints. Why would that not be the same at the parks? Temp check backstage while coming through security for cast?

* Edit it looks like I’m confused and thinking temp checks and not an actual viral test.

Jimdalva

QUOTE- it would probably be a good thing if every person under 35 got infected in the next two weeks. Then, there wouldn't be the risk of a huge segment of the population spreading it to vulnerable people.

To be OK with this, you have to be OK with a certain unknown percentage of Deaths.

KingdomofDreams

Given your job, I'm curious to know what you think about this....my wife and I both had COVID, as did my younger son. We all had symptoms. My fever got over 100 maybe 2-3 times the entire time I was sick...it felt like 103, but it was mostly around 99.5 per the thermometer. My wife had a similar experience. We would absolutely have been contagious walking into any setting that took our temp as a means of prevention...but at 99.3 or so, they'd still let me in. My wife and I talk about this a lot, as she's a kindergarten teacher and knows that they'll likely have temps checked somewhat regularly...but the temps we experienced while sick with this weren't at the levels that would preclude our entry.

I'm not a physician but there's no doubt that many people are positive and asymptomatic. The many varied symptoms range the full spectrum from mild to the most severe. We've had many patients come in with symptoms and test negative only to return a few days or a week later with persistent or worsening symptoms and test positive on the second go 'round. We've also seen many people come in for something totally unrelated with zero symptoms of Covid receive a positive test. It's unfortunately the nature of this virus. Even testing is not always reliable. I can tell you that not one member of our staff has gotten sick from this virus even working closely with positive patients over and over again. Masks, proper handwashing and using hand sanitizer, not touching eyes or nose and distancing when in public settings has proven to be very effective.

Joesixtoe

I'm not a physician but there's no doubt that many people are positive and asymptomatic. The many varied symptoms range the full spectrum from mild to the most severe. We've had many patients come in with symptoms and test negative only to return a few days or a week later with persistent or worsening symptoms and test positive on the second go 'round. We've also seen many people come in for something totally unrelated with zero symptoms of Covid receive a positive test. It's unfortunately the nature of this virus. Even testing is not always reliable. I can tell you that not one member of our staff has gotten sick from this virus even working closely with positive patients over and over again. Masks, proper handwashing and using hand sanitizer, not touching eyes or nose and distancing when in public settings has proven to be very effective.
Where I work, they do most of the testing in my area, and I was told the test we use is the original deep nose swab, because the newer, easier, less painful one's are coming back with mixed results. As they told us in school, act as if everyone is contagious to help protect yourself.

mickeymiss

I can verify that from our experience too. My husband works at a hospital and nobody he associates with has had the virus or known anyone who has. There have been sick patients obviously but the measures seem to work for staff. I have faith that this is the way forward for all businesses. Nursing homes continue to be problematic. I think this is due to the prolonged interactions between staff and residents. I'm troubled that the mitigation efforts are failing in that setting but I also know that your odds triple when you spend an entire shift in one contained environment. I assume the resident don't wear masks? As far as community transmission, I think masks and distancing are also effective.

BoarderPhreak

I think (hope?) it's just a matter of time that WDW gets pushed back. There's already a lot of pushback from employees, actor's union and Florida just closed up bars again. Disneyland got pushed back last week - and opening day was a milestone (opening day of DL in 1955). You almost have to think, "how can they NOT?" Who's going to go? Not people from the northeast; they'd have to quarantine for 14 days after their trip down. Pass.

milordsloth

I think (hope?) it's just a matter of time that WDW gets pushed back. There's already a lot of pushback from employees, actor's union and Florida just closed up bars again. Disneyland got pushed back last week - and opening day was a milestone (opening day of DL in 1955). You almost have to think, "how can they NOT?" Who's going to go? Not people from the northeast; they'd have to quarantine for 14 days after their trip down. Pass.

I guess worth repeating, Disneyland did not get pushed because they wanted to and that I doubt that has any weight on the decisions in Florida. Regarding who's going to go, all you have to do is check the Park Reservation calendar to see how many days are full to see that the fans are happy to go. With the safety measures in place, there's no reason to force them to remain closed.

BoarderPhreak

I guess worth repeating, Disneyland did not get pushed because they wanted to and that I doubt that has any weight on the decisions in Florida. Regarding who's going to go, all you have to do is check the Park Reservation calendar to see how many days are full to see that the fans are happy to go. With the safety measures in place, there's no reason to force them to remain closed.
there's no proof of this. Remember Iger is on the board of reopening CA.
(Almost) no business wants to remain closed, if they have a say in it. Besides what @oceanbreeze77 highlighted, the WDW reopening depends on what Florida will do - and they've been setting record increases in cases with each passing day. Naturally, they're resisting more closures, but time will tell. There's still quite a few days before now and then and by most measures, the indicators are decidedly pointing south.

Dizneykid

Disney world rolled everything out. They likely started ordering food and supplies already. Workers are preparing and many of them are eager to make a living again. Guests have been shuffled around since March and went through the process of reserving parks. They've gone to every extreme to make the park function with these rules. Obviously public health is critical but there simply is nothing to indicate a need for a business with strict policies to close. You could close but they committed to this and who is to say that cases won't ebb and flow like this for the foreseeable future? It can't be stop and go. This is the time to do it. UO was successful.

WDW Pro

There's a meeting scheduled this Friday to discuss the option of pushing the opening for WDW back again. It's very, very expensive for the company, and they really can't easily afford it (unlike what some would have you believe). They will also discuss the possibility of moving to the Secure Circuit system of only MK open in the event that numbers continue to increase, but that isn't a possibility until September due to the current reservation and ticket system. All of these issues are due to Disney rushing to catch up to Universal with a near full reopen.

oceanbreeze77

There's a meeting scheduled this Friday to discuss the option of pushing the opening for WDW back again. It's very, very expensive for the company, and they really can't easily afford it (unlike what some would have you believe). They will also discuss the possibility of moving to the Secure Circuit system of only MK open in the event that numbers continue to increase, but that isn't a possibility until September due to the current reservation and ticket system. All of these issues are due to Disney rushing to catch up to Universal with a near full reopen.
...isnt Friday kinda...late

Rescue Ranger

Personally, I don't think it's necessary for WDW to delay their opening. As long as they enforce and keep what they're doing and guest cooperate, then I don't see a reason to delay.

Plus it's not like anyone off the street can just walk into the parks like say Disney Springs.

For anyone not comfortable, just don't go until you do feel comfortable.

Last edited:

techgeek

Thursday’s and Friday’s have been the most dramatic days traditionally from a numbers reporting standpoint, so that’s ... interesting timing. I wouldn’t want to be the one to have to make the call, one way or the other. It’s a horrible position to be in.

Perhaps the ‘hope’ is by then the decision will be obvious. Or at least more obvious to more people.

milordsloth

Thursday’s and Friday’s have been the most dramatic days traditionally from a numbers reporting standpoint, so that’s ... interesting timing. I wouldn’t want to be the one to have to make the call, one way or the other. It’s a horrible position to be in.

Perhaps the ‘hope’ is by then the decision will be obvious. Or at least more obvious to more people.

Or maybe it gives them time to draft a well-written explanation of why they plan to move ahead with opening...

If you could describe the mood currently about the reopening process, how would you? Are they excited for it if it works? More nervous about the potential issues that could crop up?

cdeev8690

Our numbers in Ny and Nj improved because the virus burned itself out. Nothing to do with the CDC. When Florida reaches the same thresholds we did for infections, the virus will burn out there as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'burned itself out'. We continue to have new confirmed positive cases every day, new deaths, new hospitalizations. COVID is still here and still very much a threat.

We flattened the curve and continue to keep new cases down because of the actions of the Governors, especially Governor Cuomo, who used the CDC guidelines as a basis of the regulations involving the shut down and the reopening phases. If we were to go back to status quo, abandon CDC guidelines in our reopening, then you would see cases skyrocket again in New York and New Jersey and more death.

As someone who has lost family to this the thought of the parks sticking to reopening with the numbers as high as they are is completely insane. I understand the need for the parks to open for economic reasons but even looking past the safety of staff, you are dealing with children and, lets also face it, a large community of guests who can't move around without running people over with scooters. If our numbers flattened in New York from following the CDC there is no excuse other then the political stupidity that led here. Support whoever you damn please but don't put other people at risk. Just stay safe.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. A friend of mine was hospitalized for a month with COVID and has been home for a few weeks with continued respiratory issues. His doctors suggest he may never fully recover. Even if you think you can survive this virus, you do not want this suffering. I second your notion, please stay safe and listen to science.

DisneyJoe

Or they wait until the stock market close on Friday

techgeek

Or maybe it gives them time to draft a well-written explanation of why they plan to move ahead with opening...

Disney “well written explanation??” When have you ever seen one of those!? If they go forward, I don’t expect to hear a single peep of justification from the company, aside from reinforcing confidence in their established procedures. Maybe Bob or Bob will turn up on the Sunday morning circuit with a few soundbites... but that would be the extent of it.

If they push, I would bet they start with a floating 2-weeks and pray this turns around quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom