Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

October82

I would beg to differ. Over the years the economy keeps growing however our populations grows more obese.

Life-Expectancy-vs-GDP-Scatter.png

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Just no, no. It’s been posted multipletimes on this board the hospital loses money on most medical conditions (which Covid is) especially if they stay for >3 days (average Covid non icu stay 14 days.) when hospitals cancel their surgeries for Covid they lose their main source of income which is why healthcare providers are seeing their salaries cut this year.
You're saying that Medicare/insurance payouts don't exist? A majority of covid patients have insurance and/or Medicare. It's no secret nor conspiracy that the payouts are higher with covid.

Miss Bella

The connection between wealth and health is not a controversial one. There are three causes of these effects, 1) improvements in nutrition and "health" (exercise, smoking habits, etc. in developed countries), 2) sanitation and environmental health and 3) medical
We fail at number one with an obesity rate at 40%.

TeriofTerror

Reminds me of some airline companies obesity policy. If one's body cannot fit in the seat, the customer is charged for two seats.
I wish more did this. I paid for my seat, so why should I have to give half of it to the person next to me just because they can't fit into theirs? I don't want to be mean, but come on.

rle4lunch

Reminds me of some airline companies obesity policy. If one's body cannot fit in the seat, the customer is charged for two seats.

As someone that works in this arena, do you know why they do that? It's because each seat/passenger(souls on board) is rated at 200lbs/person. This is how they calculate the proper weight and balance of the plane in order to set the right takeoff and landing weights and that they know they'll be able to take off without stalling out. The weight distribution on a larger plane is not as critical as smaller ones, but the TOTAL weight of the plane (to include fuel and baggage) is still critically important. Further, the other reason planes (pre-covid) are always overbooked is that the profit margin, even on a completely full flight is razor thin. Back in the mid 2000's when oil prices spiked, some carriers were only profiting about $100 per flight (full flight). That's when you saw us all getting bag fees as well, to offset the losses they were taking across the industry.

If someone is 300 lbs, they should be charged a surcharge on the extra weight.

Ever seen the result of a load shift on an aircraft? woof. Granted this isn't going to happen on a passenger flight, but outlines how important having your weights right at takeoff...

Last edited:

Miss Bella

As someone that works in this arena, do you know why they do that? It's because each seat/passenger(souls on board) is rated at 200lbs/person. This is how they calculate the proper weight and balance of the plane in order to set the right takeoff and landing weights and that they know they'll be able to take off. The weight distribution on a larger plane is not as critical as smaller ones, but the TOTAL weight of the plane (to include fuel and baggage) is still critically important. Further, the other reason planes (pre-covid) are always overbooked is that the profit margin, even on a completely full flight is razor thin. Back in the mid 2000's when oil prices spiked, some carries were only profiting about $100 per flight (full flight). That's when you saw us all getting bag fees as well, to offset the losses they were taking across the industry.

If someone is 300 lbs, they should be charged a surcharge on the extra weight.

Ever seen the result of a load shift on an aircraft? woof. Granted this isn't going to happen on a passenger flight, but outlines how important having your weights right at takeoff...

Interesting. Back in April and May was their issues with the planes flying with only a handful of passengers.

Touchdown

You're saying that Medicare/insurance payouts don't exist? A majority of covid patients have insurance and/or Medicare. It's no secret nor conspiracy that the payouts are higher with covid.

Hospitals get paid a one time amount for a diagnosis. It doesn’t matter if you stay 2 days or 14 it’s always the same amount. Usually the costs of taking care of a medical patients (staff costs, materials, etc) are more then that payment.

Surgeries on the other hand...

rle4lunch

Interesting. Back in April and May was their issues with the planes flying with only a handful of passengers.

It works both ways. Especially when it comes to them having to dump fuel if they didn't expend enough on a route. More money down the drain (or out the tail vent tank as it were). Very hard to adjust fuel burn when dealing with a handful of people flying. But in the airlines concern, it just isn't good business. Problem is with planes, the longer they sit, the more problems (maintenance) that will pop up. They gotta keep them flying for a multitude of reasons, including phase maintenance induction times and overhaul scheduling. There's a master flight hour brain that's used to build a 3 year plan for an aircraft and it's long term maintenance actions, which is mostly driven on how many flight hours between inspections. Some are calendar day, but most dynamic components are on hours. Don't fly a plane for 2 months and you can throw off just that one planes inspection schedule by 6 months to a year, or could down it permanently until it's able to get its maintenance complete.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

It works both ways. Especially when it comes to them having to dump fuel if they didn't expend enough on a route. More money down the drain (or out the tail vent tank as it were). Very hard to adjust fuel burn when dealing with a handful of people flying. But in the airlines concern, it just isn't good business. Problem is with planes, the longer they sit, the more problems (maintenance) that will pop up. They gotta keep them flying for a multitude of reasons, including phase maintenance induction times and overhaul scheduling. There's a master flight hour brain that's used to build a 3 year plan for an aircraft and it's long term maintenance actions, which is mostly driven on how many flight hours between inspections. Some are calendar day, but most dynamic components are on an hours. Don't fly a plane for 2 months and you can throw off just that one planes inspection schedule by 6 months to a year, or could down it permanently until it's able to get its maintenance complete.
Thanks. I live close to a airline graveyard. It’s very full right now. I know airlines are retiring a lot of planes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom