Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

YodaMan

DeSantis should override them on the restaurants. After restaurants opened for dine in there was no uptick. It was after bars opened (I think gyms might have been that date also) and the protests. Absolutely no evidence whatsoever that distanced dining rooms at 50% capacity are an issue.

That is 100% incorrect. There are countless studies on people eating inside and infecting parties on the complete opposite side of the room. Masks off indoors is wildly unsafe. Period. Distance is almost irrelevant.

TrojanUSC

That is 100% incorrect. There are countless studies on people eating inside and infecting parties on the complete opposite side of the room. Masks off indoors is wildly unsafe. Period. Distance is almost irrelevant.

Yep.

The virus can linger for long periods indoors.

Lilofan

I've been in ice cold AC Florida restaurants. The AC is blowing so cold that sometimes the items on the ceiling and walls are like blowing in the wind.

milordsloth

Countless studies? Mind linking a source for a study showing someone getting infected on the opposite side of the room? From what I've seen, there was that restaurant in China and other articles saying there is potentially "increased risk"...

mickeymiss

That's a nice graphic. I wonder if the level "8" for an amusement park is factoring in the required face coverings, social distancing and hopefully other measures that Disney will be taking, perhaps making it a little less risky. I realize though that there is an inherent risk when ever there are larger than normal crowds.

My guess is that they did not factor it in but it still seems a little strange for it to be on the "highest risk" list more than school or visiting people or "walking in a busy dowtown". It's depressing to see normal and often essential acitvities ranked on a list like this. There was already so much psychological and social stress.

Rider

Countless studies? Mind linking a source for a study showing someone getting infected on the opposite side of the room? From what I've seen, there was that restaurant in China and other articles saying there is potentially "increased risk"...

mickeymiss

milordsloth

From that link:

In a letter published this week in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, two scientists from Australia and the U.S. wrote that studies have shown “beyond any reasonable doubt that viruses are released during exhalation, talking and coughing in microdroplets small enough to remain aloft in the air.” That means people in certain indoor conditions could be at greater risk of being infected than was previously thought.

That doesn't really answer my question. That says there is no doubt the virus is airborne... but nothing regarding the previous comment about "countless studies on people eating inside and infecting parties on the complete opposite side of the room."

Does anyone have sources that prove a direct link between infections and eating at an American restaurant? I haven't seen any. Only crowded bars.

I would also like to see this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From that link:

In a letter published this week in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, two scientists from Australia and the U.S. wrote that studies have shown “beyond any reasonable doubt that viruses are released during exhalation, talking and coughing in microdroplets small enough to remain aloft in the air.” That means people in certain indoor conditions could be at greater risk of being infected than was previously thought.

That doesn't really answer my question. That says there is no doubt the virus is airborne... but nothing regarding the previous comment about "countless studies on people eating inside and infecting parties on the complete opposite side of the room."

The problem with indoor dining has always been the lack of masks combined with the amount of time spent in a confined location with a potentially infected person. Walking next to someone who is infected in a supermarket or outdoor at a theme park is much less risky because the exposure is so short and both parties would be wearing a mask. If a sick person is sitting unmasked at a table even if they are 6 feet from you there’s still a good chance some of their “spit” reaches you. Is it enough to infect you, maybe so, maybe not. The concept is no different than a bar, just that the bar is less likely to have physical distancing requirements so you have contact with even more people.

I don’t know how there could be studies showing people being infected across the room. That seems unlikely. The reason indoor dining gets put in the higher risk category is due to the knowledge of the way the virus spreads, not necessarily a direct study.

Jrb1979

Does anyone have sources that prove a direct link between infections and eating at an American restaurant? I haven't seen any. Only crowded bars.
I don't have a direct link to what you are looking for. Where I live only outdoor seating is allowed at restaurants and we have yet to see a spike of cases at all. In fact we have been under 200 cases for weeks now.

Rider

It's hard because Contact Tracing in the US is so poor that there is just a lack of data to study. Dining rooms also haven't been open that long to do real studies.

Anyway here is the best we can get with the data we have:

JPMORGAN used their credit card data.

The evidence is mounting that shared indoor spaces are risky. And none of them limit themselves to bars or the US which is a silly contraint. We are all humans. Indoors are generally defined the same worldwide.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We don’t have a study that shows washing our hands is an effective way to avoid some of the infection from this virus either, but based on how we know viruses work it’s pretty certain that hand washing will help. I don’t understand the fixation on having scientific studies on everything (masks, indoor dining, etc). We have a lot of knowledge on how the virus spreads so we know certain things will be more or less risky based solely on that. Indoor dining is more risky than outdoor dining which is more risky than takeout which is more risky than cooking at home.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
From that link:

A majority of these articles (that many people present as irrefutable proof, or in this case, "countless"), that claim to offer difinitive evidence of whatever the article title is, are nothing more than subjective at best.

Rider

Not every restaurant is able to do that. By me one place put some tables in their parking lot... but that takes away from the parking. Others might not even have that option depending on their setup. Think about Disney Springs. Everything is so close together and all the spare space is taken up by walkways. Where would T-REX move enough tables to not block the walkways but make it worth it to be open? And who goes to T-REX for the food instead of the decor?

Also, winter is coming... and Outdoors will be even less possible for vast parts of the country just as flu season is picking up...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom