Do you really want to return quickly?

When would you feel safe returning to The Parks regardless of when they open?

• Immediately upon re-opening! Let me in today if possible!

• Wait a month or so and then definitely let me in!

• I'm waiting at least three months or so and then seeing what happens to others who couldn't wait.

• Six months should be good enough.

• Not sure, or I'm gonna wait until this mess is definitively behind us.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I live on 6 acres 50 miles outside of the DFW area. I have probably taken public transportation 20 times in my 45 years. Since 9/11 I have been on an airplane 2 or 3 times. Before all this hit I made the decision that the 5 cruises we have been on was enough. Much to the disappointment of my wife and kids I HATE going to town for the day to see the zoo. We had a vacation planned for this year, we havent taken a vacation in 2 years anyway, to St Augustine for a week in late May. I was dreading having to do the plane thing, renting a car thing, and other associated vacation things. I am kinda glad there is no way that trip is going to happen. I am stay at home parent and during normal circumstances I generally don't speak to another adult until my wife gets home in the evenings. My biggest change during this whole event is that my nap schedule has been disrupted because I have to be a "Teacher" now and make sure everyone gets lunch.

With the exception of not always being able to find what I need in the store or eating out on a weekend, this shelter in place stuff is "real life" for me.

We went to DLR in 2016 and upon returning I added it all up and couldn't believe it. No one in this house like to hear it, but I never see us going to WDW or DLR ever again. Too much money for a week.

I guess your safely outside of that 27 ft zone of just about everyone! Sounds to me like you've a pretty sweet setup. I personally prefer a suburban life, but I could see the comfort in living life a bit off the grid like this. Things like this virus aren't much of a threat to you.

And of course a week at Disney costs an absurd amount of money. It's ridiculous; however, some folks, myself included, are willing to spend that kind of money to escape real life for a short time.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
So, just another reason why so many people are paranoid, at least in my area....
Is it alarmist to feel a bit uneasy about this whole situation when the local government pushes this notification to all mobile phones??
thumbnail_Screenshot_20200331-162017_Messages.jpg

eliza61nyc

Perhaps a NEW/Old product? Yes, this really existed :). I'm thinking about $500 each, at the gate :).View attachment 459872

Oh God that's scary

jaklgreen

I was just there at the end of February so I have my fix in for the next couple of years. If I had
not gone and had a trip coming up I would be in the "wait til this is definitely behind us" camp.

Couple of years?!!? I was just there in Feb and would go tomorrow if I could. My next trip is for October only because we are supposed to go to Hawaii for my daughter's graduation trip this summer. If that falls through, I might book a trip to WDW because I have to use the DVC points that I would have used at Aulani.

jaklgreen

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong here as we aren’t experts, but I do strongly believe there is at least double the number of cases in the US than is being reported. Getting a test in this country has proven next to impossible for tons of people. This is most definitely more deadly than any recent influenzas, and I do understand the need for a temporary shutdown to flatten the curve...

But we can’t just shut down our way of life for years to protect the elderly and immunocompromised. They will have to protect themselves, and I think it would be a great policy for the government to pay people like that to stay home and deliver them necessities until this passes. But we need to get back to doing commerce soon. A half million people in our country dying would be a great tragedy, but no it would not destroy the economy. Halting the economy for a significant period of time will.

But we have to wonder if there are double the cases because more people are being tested rather then contracting it. For all we know, this strain could have been around already for several weeks before it was discovered and tested for. There was a weird "flu" going around in December that had the same symptoms in our area.

wendysue

Are you also a DVC member? I know they're looking into modifying even further the policy for cancellations and keeping your points and I was just curious if you got any clarification on that if you're a member as well.
No, not a DVC member. We have AP's that will, as of now, be good through 1st week of Sept. Would like to get another trip or two in before then (also have 1st week of July booked) but who knows. Not renewing AP's though because of price hikes, FP issues, etc.

KikoKea

We had a trip scheduled in April, and are now looking at maybe Sept/Oct for the parties. We'll definitely see how things are with the virus before deciding. (Although, having to make FPs 60 days out to get what I want makes it more difficult🙄)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I live on 6 acres 50 miles outside of the DFW area. I have probably taken public transportation 20 times in my 45 years. Since 9/11 I have been on an airplane 2 or 3 times. Before all this hit I made the decision that the 5 cruises we have been on was enough. Much to the disappointment of my wife and kids I HATE going to town for the day to see the zoo. We had a vacation planned for this year, we havent taken a vacation in 2 years anyway, to St Augustine for a week in late May. I was dreading having to do the plane thing, renting a car thing, and other associated vacation things. I am kinda glad there is no way that trip is going to happen. I am stay at home parent and during normal circumstances I generally don't speak to another adult until my wife gets home in the evenings. My biggest change during this whole event is that my nap schedule has been disrupted because I have to be a "Teacher" now and make sure everyone gets lunch.

With the exception of not always being able to find what I need in the store or eating out on a weekend, this shelter in place stuff is "real life" for me.

We went to DLR in 2016 and upon returning I added it all up and couldn't believe it. No one in this house like to hear it, but I never see us going to WDW or DLR ever again. Too much money for a week.
Now’s the time to visit economically and spatially. If you want, I’ll fax you over my jet pack design. If you do a search, you’ll see I’ve espoused jet packs multiple times.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Now’s the time to visit economically and spatially. If you want, I’ll fax you over my jet pack design. If you do a search, you’ll see I’ve espoused jet packs multiple times.
Just don't send the robot with it, unless she's doing all the work.

Randyland

Please hold onto the handrails while exiting....

Being stuck in a cue line, pressed into a parade crowd, seated in a spot someone else just got out of, and just breathing the air while in a crowd, does not sound like anything to smart to do for a really long time to come...

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster

Being stuck in a cue line, pressed into a parade crowd, seated in a spot someone else just got out of, and just breathing the air while in a crowd, does not sound like anything to smart to do for a really long time to come...

Hear, hear!
conan.gif

MickeyLuv'r

Worse than any of that?

Riding one of WDW's very crowded buses.

For a week or longer.

And also doing everything you listed, surrounded all day by 1,000's of people who have all been riding crowed buses and monorails for over a week.

Now imagine how long it would take to get the post fireworks crowd back to the big WDW hotels via bus and monorail with everyone trying to maintain social distancing, and what would the bus stops would look like?

WDW busing only works when people are willing to ride buses packed in like sardines. Plus monorails and boats.

Crazy to think WDW's people moving systems only worked during the golden age of illness containment: vaccines, antibiotics, and no common pandemic memory.

As long as people don't trust crowds, the whole of WDW has a problem.

But again, maybe we should be focused on other things right now.

Anyone want to pick crops? Collect trash?

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Worse than any of that?

Riding one of WDW's very crowded buses.

For a week or longer.

And also doing everything you listed, surrounded all day by 1,000's of people who have all been riding crowed buses and monorails for over a week.

Now imagine how long it would take to get the post fireworks crowd back to the big WDW hotels via bus and monorail with everyone trying to maintain social distancing, and what would the bus stops would look like?

WDW busing only works when people are willing to ride buses packed in like sardines. Plus monorails and boats.

Crazy to think WDW's people moving systems only worked during the golden age of illness containment: vaccines, antibiotics, and no common pandemic memory.

As long as people don't trust crowds, the whole of WDW has a problem.

But again, maybe we should be focused on other things right now.

Anyone want to pick crops? Collect trash?

Wow, hadn't even thought about that aspect. Yeah, Disney has a real problem. They really can't reopen without putting hundreds of thousands if not millions at risk in a short period of time unless someone in a high place sounds the "all clear" at which time they can almost absolve themselves and blame that person if the $hit hits the fan. Even then... class action lawsuit. Disney "shoulda betta known betta".
SomeDeliriousHare-size_restricted.gif

Ninja Mom

Suppose that people were told they would have to wear masks to be in the parks. You could bring your own or buy cloth masks from Disney. The thinking is that since the virus is primarily spread through droplets like from coughs and sneezes a mask would reduce the transmission rate.

Infrared temperatures would also be taken for each park guest. People with elevated temps would be denied entry.
Photos would now be associated with your ticket.

Are you still going? Most of these measures would be temporary, like for a number of months until the infection rates decreased in large measure.

~NM

irwalt2

Couple of years?!!? I was just there in Feb and would go tomorrow if I could. My next trip is for October only because we are supposed to go to Hawaii for my daughter's graduation trip this summer. If that falls through, I might book a trip to WDW because I have to use the DVC points that I would have used at Aulani.

Unfortunately it will be a couple of years. If they were open and i could afford to go tomorrow i would.
There is no place in the world i would rather go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom