Do you really want to return quickly?

When would you feel safe returning to The Parks regardless of when they open?

  • Immediately upon re-opening! Let me in today if possible!

  • Wait a month or so and then definitely let me in!

  • I'm waiting at least three months or so and then seeing what happens to others who couldn't wait.

  • Six months should be good enough.

  • Not sure, or I'm gonna wait until this mess is definitively behind us.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Pepper's Ghost

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
A quick question for this group. I hope I'm not repeating anyone else's recent thread that I may have missed. I'm sure someone has made this point in another thread, but I can't read every post of every thread... there's several thousand about COVID-19 alone.

In many threads I see some outrage or understandable disappointment that trips have to be cancelled, postponed, etc. due to the viral outbreak. I absolutely understand the frustration of losing out on a Disney trip, or needing to postpone it. I wouldn't be a member of these boards if I didn't understand the urge to go back. It seems that many people are just itching to get into the parks.

My question is, if the parks open April 10 or thereabouts, how many of you would actually WANT to be at the parks immediately with tens of thousands of other people, many of whom may not even know that they're carrying the virus? If you've been living under a rock the last month, you might not know, but this virus has proven to be HIGHLY contagious. If the parks open on April 10, do you want to expose yourself, family, friends to the potential for this danger? If you figure "I'm young, and will only get mildly sick", that might be true or might not, but what about the loved ones you pass it on to after contracting the virus. You won't know for days and may be spreading it to your family and friends, some of whom might have underlying medical complications that you, and maybe even they are unaware of.

Just food for thought. I'm not criticizing or judging. I just know that even if I had a trip for May and it might open up in plenty of time, I'd cancel it to avoid the risk. I'd rather cancel one trip and live to see a dozen or dozens more in the future, than to absolutely go forward with an imminent one while risking myself, and others who I love. Even if the risk is low(ish), it's a real risk. Disney parks are truly a petri dish. Normally it's possible you might pick up mild cold or flu, but this has proven to spread much more easily and is far more severe and fatal than the common ones. IMO it's not worth it until the all or mostly clear is sounded by medical experts and the statistics themselves. I'm not trying to shorten ride lines for myself in the first weeks because I won't be there. 😁 I'm just looking out for our Disney family.
 

tinker-ella

New Member
Advertisement
A quick question for this group. I hope I'm not repeating anyone else's recent thread that I may have missed. I'm sure someone has made this point in another thread, but I can't read every post of every thread... there's several thousand about COVID-19 alone.

In many threads I see some outrage or understandable disappointment that trips have to be cancelled, postponed, etc. due to the viral outbreak. I absolutely understand the frustration of losing out on a Disney trip, or needing to postpone it. I wouldn't be a member of these boards if I didn't understand the urge to go back. It seems that many people are just itching to get into the parks.

My question is, if the parks open April 10 or thereabouts, how many of you would actually WANT to be at the parks immediately with tens of thousands of other people, many of whom may not even know that they're carrying the virus? If you've been living under a rock the last month, you might not know, but this virus has proven to be HIGHLY contagious. If the parks open on April 10, do you want to expose yourself, family, friends to the potential for this danger? If you figure "I'm young, and will only get mildly sick", that might be true or might not, but what about the loved ones you pass it on to after contracting the virus. You won't know for days and may be spreading it to your family and friends, some of whom might have underlying medical complications that you, and maybe even they are unaware of.

Just food for thought. I'm not criticizing or judging. I just know that even if I had a trip for May and it might open up in plenty of time, I'd cancel it to avoid the risk. I'd rather cancel one trip and live to see a dozen or dozens more in the future, than to absolutely go forward with an imminent one while risking myself, and others who I love. Even if the risk is low(ish), it's a real risk. Disney parks are truly a petri dish. Normally it's possible you might pick up mild cold or flu, but this has proven to spread much more easily and is far more severe and fatal than the common ones. IMO it's not worth it until the all or mostly clear is sounded by medical experts and the statistics themselves. I'm not trying to shorten ride lines for myself in the first weeks because I won't be there. 😁 I'm just looking out for our Disney family.
I agree with you. I would hate to take the chance that they would re-open too soon, and cause a resurgence of the virus. We were supposed to go in 5 days, on April 1st, and I am heart-broken. But we just have to put our plans on the back burner, and save more money to make our next visit extra-special!
 

irwalt2

Well-Known Member
I was just there at the end of February so I have my fix in for the next couple of years. If I had
not gone and had a trip coming up I would be in the "wait til this is definitely behind us" camp.
 

Pepper's Ghost

Well-Known Member
Original Poster

Nottamus

Well-Known Member
I wouldn’t want to go back right away “just in case” it helps make the virus resurge.
We were just there in December ...and cancelled our 3/29-4/5 trip (two days away) and have a November 2 week trip planned...as long as it’s all back up and safe!
 

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Well-Known Member
My next trip is from May 15th-23rd and I'm gonna really be irritated if it's still closed by then. I also have an Oct 2nd-10th trip planned and I'm not worried about that one but the May one is still maybe a little touch and go. I get it that people are scared but I'm not scared in the least and if they're open I'll be there full force. I've not talked to the DVC about our points but I think they are even having to reevaluate that policy since this keeps going on.
 

wendysue

Well-Known Member
My next trip is from May 15th-23rd and I'm gonna really be irritated if it's still closed by then. I also have an Oct 2nd-10th trip planned and I'm not worried about that one but the May one is still maybe a little touch and go. I get it that people are scared but I'm not scared in the least and if they're open I'll be there full force. I've not talked to the DVC about our points but I think they are even having to reevaluate that policy since this keeps going on.
I canceled our May trip yesterday and booked for August. Not even sure about that...
 

MickeyLuv'r

Well-Known Member
In short, I think it is too early to tell what any of us will do. I mean, when any of us returns is going to depend a bit on our personal physical and financial situations.

and I would think - maybe our communities.

Anyone who now says they plan to return immediately is - more or less- assuming they and their family, will be spared from a significant level of illness and financial distress.

I dunno, the topic of this thread sounds a little tone deaf.
 

MikeTaylorSound

Well-Known Member
Moved our May discount rate 4-night stay to November.
If baseball returns around 4th of July weekend, then I'm sure theme parks will, too. If we see a spike in cases again, they might shut down again.
 

Pepper's Ghost

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
Anyone who now says they plan to return immediately is - more or less- assuming they and their family, will be spared from a significant level of illness and financial distress.

I dunno, the topic of this thread sounds a little tone deaf.
Easy there, Tiger. Not sure why you're attacking the question. I think you're reading into it more than was intended. How is it "tone deaf"?

Everyone's situation when it comes to planning a trip fluctuates with personal circumstances, and everyone is free to answer how they wish. Obviously, anyone who becomes ill or falls into financial distress after answering this poll could potentially change their mind. I'm just trying to gauge what percentage of people are dying to return regardless of the potential for danger assuming you've not yet been affected, vs those who are more cautious due to concern for themselves and others.

I'm not asking anyone to be Nostradamus and predict what's going to occur between the time they answer this question and that potential circumstance, nor is anyone going to be held responsible for answering one way in a thread on a fan-site, and then changing their mind later. Chill. It's a simple question out of interest to find out what others are thinking... just like most threads on this forum.
 

InnKpr

Well-Known Member
I wouldn’t want to go back right away “just in case” it helps make the virus resurge.
Exactly. This thing isn't going down without a fight, even when it appears it's starting to do such.
 

kimberlymautz

Well-Known Member
We've had our September trip planned for the last 6 months and while I'm remaining optimistic, I also won't put the health of my family in jeopardy just to go to Disney (no matter how much we love it and how bummed we would be to reschedule). It really depends on how things continue whether or not we'll end up going. Obviously I hope that things will be better in 6 months, but there are still SO MANY PEOPLE that are still totally ignoring the warnings from the CDC.
 

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Well-Known Member
I canceled our May trip yesterday and booked for August. Not even sure about that...
Are you also a DVC member? I know they're looking into modifying even further the policy for cancellations and keeping your points and I was just curious if you got any clarification on that if you're a member as well.
 

RobWDW1971

Well-Known Member
Moved our May discount rate 4-night stay to November.
If baseball returns around 4th of July weekend, then I'm sure theme parks will, too. If we see a spike in cases again, they might shut down again.
Shutting down again is not going to be an option - this is a one-time event. Let's hope it was worth it.
 

EpicMickey

Well-Known Member
The key here is the virus trajectory.
If the park opens when the curve starts to flatten (I doubt they'll open), you still should not go. It is still risky to you, your family and the nation.

Disney will not -let me take a step back- Disney will never go away. They'll be there to visit one day. But if you or your family die because of the virus -due to its unpredictability, no more Disney for you.
 

JIMINYCR

Well-Known Member
My opinion.... We are eager to return and if its deemed safe enough we will. We will certainly continue using preventive measures and be cautious. If we are going to be at risk, so would thousands of CM's who will be showing up to work and I dont think Disney or the area govt will risk them or us if its considered that dangerous. I dont know how to say it... but I do take the threat/ possibility serious but I refuse to let it run my life and keep me in extended fear.
 
Top Bottom