Do you really want to return quickly?

When would you feel safe returning to The Parks regardless of when they open?

• Immediately upon re-opening! Let me in today if possible!

• Wait a month or so and then definitely let me in!

• I'm waiting at least three months or so and then seeing what happens to others who couldn't wait.

• Six months should be good enough.

• Not sure, or I'm gonna wait until this mess is definitively behind us.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Prince-1

After a very long and deep look inside my soul and a profound accounting of my life I've decided to reconsider my position: I'm there on reopening.

I'm so sorry to disappoint everyone but a man has got to do what he's got to do.

I‘d say that is a very good decision. People need to take this crisis with complete seriousness and even when we start to move forward and recover there is still a very real threat of it reoccurring if people immediately go back to the same routines

Parker in NYC

I‘d say that is a very good decision. People need to take this crisis with complete seriousness and even when we start to move forward and recover there is still a very real threat of it reoccurring if people immediately go back to the same routines

Wait, did I misread HongKong's post? I thought they'd be back on opening day?

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Wait, did I misread HongKong's post? I thought they'd be back on opening day?

Nope. You read it correctly. HKF was being sarcastic, and restating his original position. 🤣 Which is fine. The only problem I see with this approach is that the medical experts have said that if they could literally freeze everyone in place, six feet apart for 14 days, this virus would be completely eradicated. From that I believe you can deduce that any interaction between people will continue to spread the virus. This virus doesn't spread from 1 person to 1 person. It can spread from 1 person to 100 people. That's why the shelter-in-place is so critical. If 100 perfectly healthy people go to WDW, and one person who doesn't know they just contracted the virus from a surface in their supermarket the day before, those 100 healthy people (or some number of them) will be exposed.

This is why I believe Disney can't afford to open their doors for many months. People who go in healthy thinking, "I'M THERE ON THE FIRST DAY! WHO CARES, I'M HEALTHY!" Those are the ones who when they're in the hospital will be thinking "I got this from Disney! It's their fault!" and all the ambulance chasers will be waiting outside the hospital to sign those "victims" up for a class-action lawsuit. At least that'll be the case for the victims who walk out the front door. For those who get wheeled out to frozen truck for storage... well, they won't think anything, but at least they had their last hurrah! 🤪

Parker in NYC

Nope. You read it correctly HKF was being sarcastic, and restating his original position. 🤣 Which is fine. The only problem I see with this approach is that the medical experts have said that if they could literally freeze everyone in place, six feet apart for 14 days, this virus would be completely eradicated. From that I believe you can deduce that any interaction between people will continue to spread the virus. This virus doesn't spread from 1 person to 1 person. It can spread from 1 person to 100 people. That's why the shelter-in-place is so critical. If 100 perfectly healthy people go to WDW, and one person who doesn't know they just contracted the virus from a surface in their supermarket the day before, those 100 healthy people (or some number of them) will be exposed.

This is why I believe Disney can't afford to open their doors for many months. People who go in healthy thinking, "I'M THERE ON THE FIRST DAY! WHO CARES, I'M HEALTHY!" Those are the ones who when they're in the hospital will be thinking "I got this from Disney! It's their fault!" and all the ambulance chasers will be waiting outside the hospital to sign those "victims" up for a class-action lawsuit. At least that'll be the case for the victims who walk out the front door. For those who get wheeled out to frozen truck for storage... well, they won't think anything, but at least they had their last hurrah! 🤪

Agreed!

Sorry, @HongKongFooy! I keep asking people to read the epic Coronavirus and WDW thread before posting and I'm not even reading 4 pages, here. Hypocrite that I am.

HongKongFooy

Ghost, I'm sure you're right that if everyone were frozen 6 feet apart for 2 weeks the virus would likely be eradicated.

And your scenario of 1 seemingly healthy parkgoer infecting 100 more is looks plausible, too.

So under those assumptions what would you propose? Seriously, what would you realistically like to see that would make an appreciable, meaningful difference. Close parks and all large venues until vaccine comes on line? Wait until any large venue has comprehensive, sound logistical measures in place to counter any spread?

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Ghost, I'm sure you're right that if everyone were frozen 6 feet apart for 2 weeks the virus would likely be eradicated.

And your scenario of 1 seemingly healthy parkgoer infecting 100 more is looks plausible, too.

So under those assumptions what would you propose? Seriously, what would you realistically like to see that would make an appreciable, meaningful difference. Close parks and all large venues until vaccine comes on line? Wait until any large venue has comprehensive, sound logistical measures in place to counter any spread?

All excellent questions! I wish I was an expert, and could answer your questions. The smartest people in the world are trying to figure out the answers to these exact questions. That's why you see companies like Disney saying, ehhh, two more weeks. And then in 10 days... ehhh, two more weeks. That's because we just don't know. We gotta play this one by ear. I think my biggest fear, and I'm sure that of all other experts :rolleyes: is making a premature decision to open the parks and all other venues were people congregate in large numbers, and then seeing a 2nd wave that's worse than the first.

Edit: With that said, I'm just saying that being in line in two weeks if they open is definitely a bad idea. Now, if Disney announced that they weren't opening the doors until a vaccine was available (which will never happen), then I'd say it's going to be much safer to go into the parks on Day 1.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Just adding that I don't think they should wait until there's a vaccine available, nor do I think they should open in two weeks. They're trying to figure out what the right balance is. I'm more nervous they'll err on the side of cash flow rather than the greater good, and many fans will be all too willing to reward them for that decision. And I'd understand the decision. Companies need to make money as long as they're not killing their customers in the process.

HongKongFooy

Yep, a second, new wave could hit.

Here we are thinking things are somewhat back to normal, airlines all over the world like British Airways start service again bringing hot groups promoting fevers.

Let's not relive the 80's. The music sucked.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Yep, a second, new wave could hit.

Here we are thinking things are somewhat back to normal, airlines all over the world like British Airways start service again bringing hot groups promoting fevers.

Let's not relive the 80's. The music sucked.

LOL! 🤣

So, by your last message I'll assume you're located somewhere in the UK. Before you book your travel to the U.S., just keep this in mind... expert opinions within the CDC are predicting as many as 100k to 200k deaths in the U.S. despite the shelter in place policies being put in place in many major cities. If they're right that's 2x to 4x more than are killed by the flu each year.

HongKongFooy

Actually I'm essentially a Californian but recently I have been living in Philadelphia and South East Asia, .....and right at this moment I'm in Orlando, indefinitely. It might be a life sentence irrespective of Corona.
(I've never been Great Britain)

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Actually I'm essentially a Californian but recently I have been living in Philadelphia and South East Asia, .....and right at this moment I'm in Orlando, indefinitely. It might be a life sentence irrespective of Corona.
(I've never been Great Britain)

See what happens when I assume? 🤣 I just figured by the mention of British Airlines, and this comment "Here we are thinking things are somewhat back to normal". 😁🤪 Things in the U.S. are getting crazier by the hour.

RobWDW1971

I will be there reopening day.....be it on a Tues in May, July 12 or a rainy August day. Virus won't affect my decision.

Of course this presumes a workable, semi ordinary business as usual approach. If only one park with 1/2 attractions operational and extremely limited food offerings then count me out.
The ramifications of this shutdown will go on for years - I fear we are going to see an entirely new level of cuts in the parks, less atmosphere entertainment, shorter hours, reduced staffing, etc. That is what every company is doing right now during the shutdown is action planning on how to reduce operating expenses and capital when the world resumes.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster

5thGenTexan

So I live in a major city so basically if I get on a bus or a train I'm in the same boat. at some point in time I have to get back to real life. what are folks never planning on going into supermarkets again? what about flying or taking a cruise?

now of course there are so many circumstances to be considered.

I have a trip scheduled for August, if it's open and up and running (parades, night time shows etc) I'm there. now my family consist of young healthy adults so that also helps. I'm just not one to live in fear constantly. this virus is out in the population so like the flu it's going to most likely be with us in some fashion for a while.

edit: this also might be the self quarantine talking. I'm sick of it and ready to be outside again

I live on 6 acres 50 miles outside of the DFW area. I have probably taken public transportation 20 times in my 45 years. Since 9/11 I have been on an airplane 2 or 3 times. Before all this hit I made the decision that the 5 cruises we have been on was enough. Much to the disappointment of my wife and kids I HATE going to town for the day to see the zoo. We had a vacation planned for this year, we havent taken a vacation in 2 years anyway, to St Augustine for a week in late May. I was dreading having to do the plane thing, renting a car thing, and other associated vacation things. I am kinda glad there is no way that trip is going to happen. I am stay at home parent and during normal circumstances I generally don't speak to another adult until my wife gets home in the evenings. My biggest change during this whole event is that my nap schedule has been disrupted because I have to be a "Teacher" now and make sure everyone gets lunch.

With the exception of not always being able to find what I need in the store or eating out on a weekend, this shelter in place stuff is "real life" for me.

We went to DLR in 2016 and upon returning I added it all up and couldn't believe it. No one in this house like to hear it, but I never see us going to WDW or DLR ever again. Too much money for a week.

Communicora

Premium Member
Well, that's comforting. Thanks. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the........ air. 😲
The USA Today article they reference gives a bit more nuance. I guess it will just take time to understand how it transmits.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Perhaps a NEW/Old product? Yes, this really existed :). I'm thinking about $500 each, at the gate :).
MickyMask.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom