Do you really want to return quickly?

When would you feel safe returning to The Parks regardless of when they open?

• Immediately upon re-opening! Let me in today if possible!

• Wait a month or so and then definitely let me in!

• I'm waiting at least three months or so and then seeing what happens to others who couldn't wait.

• Six months should be good enough.

• Not sure, or I'm gonna wait until this mess is definitively behind us.

Results are only viewable after voting.

eliza61nyc

I think it's this thought process that will lead people to put themselves in the "line of fire". There aren't two extremes... either stay shuttered forever, or go out immediately. Isn't there a middle ground? I think it's perfectly rational to wait it out to slow the spread, then go back to normal when things die down.

Who decides when they are "normal"? So I'm just going with the assumption that if WDW reopens then they've gotten some go ahead that things are safe.

I thought all these closures and stay at home orders were being done to slow the spread,??

RobWDW1971

Who decides when they are "normal"? So I'm just going with the assumption that if WDW reopens then they've gotten some go ahead that things are safe.

I thought all these closures and stay at home orders were being done to slow the spread,??
Because they have not specifically defined what "slowing the spread" or "flatten the curve" means, the government can just say "it's good enough now".

Disstevefan1

I understand owning an annual pass and being local, but does that make you immune to the virus? No concern for contracting it and passing it on to others while you're non-symptomatic for 5 days or so? This approach just reminds me of the Spring Breakers on beaches in Miami a week ago... https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...surge-spring-breakers-express-regret-n1168686

Firstly, gitchard simply answered the pole which happens to be the second highest percentage answer , so this poster is not alone. Second when WDW opens, there will for sure be changes. The post corona WDW will be different. I suspect, right now as we speak, they are working on what will be the “new normal” at the disneyparks world wide. What I am getting at is when WDW opens, they will open when they feel is the safest for the most important entity, the shareholder, which, lucky for us, is, also the safest for the guest. It would be very bad for the shareholder if Disney opened the parks too early and guests got the virus and traced it back to the park.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
What I am getting at is when WDW opens, they will open when they feel is the safest for the most important entity, the shareholder, which, lucky for us, is, also the safest for the guest. It would be very bad for the shareholder if Disney opened the parks too early and guests got the virus and traced it back to the park.

This is very true. Opening too early would be a financial disaster.

eliza61nyc

Because they have not specifically defined what "slowing the spread" or "flatten the curve" means, the government can just say "it's good enough now".

Absolutely, so again I'm going to step out on faith with a few assumptions.

I'm assuming that Disney is not going to just Willy nilly open these parks. Way too much liability.
Can you imagine the damage if they reopen and a cluster broke out??

I'm assuming that the state of Florida is also going to have some say in the reopening.

Now at some point we will have to leave our houses. Sports teams will have to start playing, concerts will start up, we will go to bars and restaurants.

My trip is in August, God willing we'll be able to go

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Firstly, gitchard simply answered the pole which happens to be the second highest percentage answer , so this poster is not alone. Second when WDW opens, there will for sure be changes. The post corona WDW will be different. I suspect, right now as we speak, they are working on what will be the “new normal” at the disneyparks world wide. What I am getting at is when WDW opens, they will open when they feel is the safest for the most important entity, the shareholder, which, lucky for us, is, also the safest for the guest. It would be very bad for the shareholder if Disney opened the parks too early and guests got the virus and traced it back to the park.
That's thinking from last month - there is now almost 125,000 cases and will be significantly more than that by the time the parks open. It will be everywhere so there will be no "tracing it back to the park". Health Departments have already stopped tracing it as it is just part of society now.

One of my consulting clients was petrified just a few weeks ago about his company having a single case - he now has dozens and doesn't even get notified of new cases anymore.

It's a new world - the parks will open, people will come in huge numbers, people will both bring and catch the virus, and it will just be considered normal.

Disstevefan1

That's thinking from last month - there is now almost 125,000 cases and will be significantly more than that by the time the parks open. It will be everywhere so there will be no "tracing it back to the park". Health Departments have already stopped tracing it as it is just part of society now.

One of my consulting clients was petrified just a few weeks ago about his company having a single case - he now has dozens and doesn't even get notified of new cases anymore.

It's a new world - the parks will open, people will come in huge numbers, people will both bring and catch the virus, and it will just be considered normal.

I see your point and I was thinking, Disney is very good in controlling the narrative (aka covering up the facts). So while it’s true Coronavirus was both contracted and spread at both US parks even before the closures, you don’t hear anything like this from the main stream media. Disney has done well to cover it up.

I still think we will see things change and new procedures put in place in the parks for both castmember and guest, after the US parks open back up.

Skibum1970

Depends, but the the state of Florida is in fantasy land right now in their response to this pandemic.

That's kind of an operational hazard with so many amusement parks pretending to be places that don't exist.

Just kidding. I briefly considered booking a trip in mid-May but not too interested at this moment. Still hoping that our local amusement park will open in May. My company put us on mandatory WFH until May and I can see that chafing after two more weeks. It's probably the biggest concern. As people don't get sick and as they grow tired of staying home, they will take more chances and go out more often. A sense of false security will develop and then a spike in cases could result.

eliza61nyc

That's kind of an operational hazard with so many amusement parks pretending to be places that don't exist.

Just kidding. I briefly considered booking a trip in mid-May but not too interested at this moment. Still hoping that our local amusement park will open in May. My company put us on mandatory WFH until May and I can see that chafing after two more weeks. It's probably the biggest concern. As people don't get sick and as they grow tired of staying home, they will take more chances and go out more often. A sense of false security will develop and then a spike in cases could result.

And that's the problem with the doomsday scenario that is being forced on us every day. Now here in Philadelphia we keep hearing how we are going to be the next NYC. They're setting up field hospitals, cut transportation to the bare bones, closed every thing down. but so far we've had 5 deaths. I am in no way dismissing those 5 people, they have loved ones grieving them. the point is as more and more time goes by, the more tiring this is going to become.

My job closed down until April 3rd. we are very lucky in that we are being paid but they are not going to do that indefinitely. Friday the 3rd we're supposed to have a zoom conference to discuss the path forward. we've already been told that no option is off the table. layoffs, furloughs, reduced work hours, give back of raises etc tec.
I'm fully participating in the cdc recommendations and local lock down but I'm not so sure if I'm going to risk my job .

I pray daily that we flatten the curve quickly.

HongKongFooy

I will be there reopening day.....be it on a Tues in May, July 12 or a rainy August day. Virus won't affect my decision.

Of course this presumes a workable, semi ordinary business as usual approach. If only one park with 1/2 attractions operational and extremely limited food offerings then count me out.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I will be there reopening day.....be it on a Tues in May, July 12 or a rainy August day. Virus won't affect my decision.

More power to you, HKF! 😁 Make sure you let your family and friends know before you see them so they can make their own decision if they want to see you for the next 14 days. Don't make their decision for them because if you do get sick and pass it on, then they'll have some choice names for you and it probably won't be HongKongFooy. I'm sure folks at your local supermarkets, work, etc. would love to hear that you're taking this risk on their behalf. 🤣

HongKongFooy

After a very long and deep look inside my soul and a profound accounting of my life I've decided to reconsider my position: I'm there on reopening.

I'm so sorry to disappoint everyone but a man has got to do what he's got to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom