DLR D23 Discussion & News

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'm staying off the internet completely next weekend, 1000% not dealing with the D23 nonsense. 😫
But you could miss the exciting news about the company's new IMMERSIVE tie-in partners like Walmart and Kohl's! (Meanwhile, Target will continue its successful co-branding by adding Mickey ears to the Target logo - you heard it here first!)

What? That's not magical enough for you? ;) Just wait till you hear about the next exclusive churro being revealed at the Parks panel! :D

Dear Prudence

But you could miss the exciting news about the company's new IMMERSIVE tie-in partners like Walmart and Kohl's! (Meanwhile, Target will continue its successful co-branding by adding Mickey ears to the Target logo - you heard it here first!)

What? That's not magical enough for you? ;) Just wait till you hear about the next exclusive churro being revealed at the Parks panel! :D
That's a lil too spot on, mate. 😫😭

TP2000

People would have clutched their invisible pearls had In Living Color been released earlier, except maybe the 80s. The show would have never been broadcasted, actually. Plenty of Sensitive Sallies during your time and before.

Before In Living Color there was the good early seasons of SNL of 1975-78. Before SNL there was Laugh In from 1967-71, which had people calling the NBC switchboard to complain about it's socio-political jokes and sexual innuendo so often that it inspired a Laugh In skit with Lilly Tomlin as a phone operator. (One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy...)

Rinse and repeat. ;)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Before In Living Color there was the good early seasons of SNL of 1975-78. Before SNL there was Laugh In from 1967-71, which had people calling the NBC switchboard to complain about it's socio-political jokes and sexual innuendo so often that it inspired a Laugh In skit with Lilly Tomlin as a phone operator. (One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy...)

Rinse and repeat. ;)
Mkay.

Anyways…

RobWDW1971

Rinse and repeat. ;)
You forgot to mention the two most risque shows on TV: "Hollywood Squares" with Paul Lynde in the center square and "Match Game" which was just six hysterical people drunk and making double entendres. Ahhh, adult humor from actual adults. Good times, good times...

TP2000

You forgot to mention the two most risque shows on TV: "Hollywood Squares" with Paul Lynde in the center square and "Match Game" which was just six hysterical people drunk and making double entendres. Ahhh, adult humor from actual adults. Good times, good times...

In my community, Paul Lynde in the center square circa 1974 is a God among men. How he got away with that and got it all past the censors is truly superhuman. And on a game show, no less!

Match Game in the mid 1970's was also a scream! With gin and Scotch in everyone's subtle highballs below their desks. You can practically watch the panelists get drunker as each episode goes along. Meanwhile, there's some nervous stewardess from Van Nuys on the other side of the set trying to be so perfect and polite and just win 500 bucks!

Truly hysterical TV from a time when things were far more liberal and swinging! So long as you looked great and were gracious, you could subversively get away with anything back then! 🤣

As for D23 Expo, can you imagine if the D23 organizers learned some humor and tried one of these classic game shows as a wild Disney version? Disney Celebrity Match Game? Marvel Hollywood Squares? With the same type of self-deprecating humor, and even a bit of innuendo thrown in for D23 audiences? It could be hysterically funny and a good way to make Disney seem less pompous and take itself just a tad less seriously than they currently do.

I mean, my God, it's a convention about amusement parks and cartoons! They aren't curing cancer or world hunger here, they're wasting huge amounts of energy and resources to entertain our decadent selves and sell more amusement parks and cartoons. Laugh a little at yourself Disney, it might clear the air and earn you some needed goodwill with fans! ;)

CaptinEO

Anyone wanna make bets on if Disney will mention anything about the Avengers Campus quinjet/E ticket or not?
Id bet they don't mention the following:
People Mover
Mary Poppins
Avengers E Ticket
Epcot Play Pavilion
Main Street Theater (Magic Kingdom)

I also bet the People Mover is having its tracks removed and is not actually making a comeback. Chapek has no regard for classic Disney and anything that isn't a cheap IP grab.

I bet the motorcruise area and Matterhorn become a mini Frozen land. California Adventure will get a Marvel stunt show for the Hyperion.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Id bet they don't mention the following:
People Mover
Mary Poppins
Avengers E Ticket
Epcot Play Pavilion
Main Street Theater (Magic Kingdom)

I also bet the People Mover is having its tracks removed and is not actually making a comeback. Chapek has no regard for classic Disney and anything that isn't a cheap IP grab.

I bet the motorcruise area and Matterhorn become a mini Frozen land. California Adventure will get a Marvel stunt show for the Hyperion.
What would be the purpose of simply removing the tracks and doing nothing else, though?

I could actually see the stunt show happening.

MarvelCharacterNerd

California Adventure will get a Marvel stunt show for the Hyperion.
While this would make myself and some other Marvel park fans I know quite happy, and while we have joked for a while about wanting a rotating schedule of Rodgers the Musical interspersed with Loki's Tales of Loki (from Thor: Ragnarok), Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark and the DL Paris Super Heroes United stunt show... the Hyperion queue area was recently cleared of a lot of the Marvel decorations they've had up there. In part, this is to have a treat trail there for the Halloween party, but I think it's also to reclaim that area so they can put in Encanto or Moana (hey, I can dream!) or something else non-Marvel into the Hyperion.

I'd be happy to have another quality theatrical show in there. Just not Frozen. (Not because I don't love the movie or the soundtrack and not because they overdid Frozen in the parks. But because I didn't enjoy the production in spite of appreciating the performers in it. It was ponderous and dull and lost the entertainment value of the story with its pacing. And I didn't love the choreo staging or set pieces. So yeah. Ready for something new there.)

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Not sure Trowbridge would've tweeted that tweet if all they're doing is removing the PM tracks. That said, I'd still view the removal of the tracks as a positive change for Disneyland. They're ugly and depressing.

Kind of hoping the Avengers E-ticket is dead. Not my cup of tea (and I don't think DCA needs a simulator). Just my opinion.

The Empress Lilly

Well, if you do not believe that young adults in the disco era were different than the depressed, uptight, dour, social justice warriors of today you are simply mistaken (and you missed a hell of a party).

Every generation has their unique traits - some are just insufferable and annoying. ;)

Those of us that have lived in different eras (and THANK GOD we did) can speak from actual experience, not a Google search.

(And note, the generation in the 1960's were lazy and ignorant - they were called "hippies" and they also smelled bad and are not missed)
That's the best description of the current youth I've ever read. =D

I do remember that fabulous Disco era though as the most depressing decade of all time. Urban decay, corruption, doom and gloom, punks, everybody over fifteen chain smoking and the under-fifteens sniffing glue, social agression, Cold War, fear of the bomb. And Saturday Night Fever has a rape scene after which everybody goes his merry way. Just another Saturday night.

RobWDW1971

That's the best description of the current youth I've ever read. =D

I do remember that fabulous Disco era though as the most depressing decade of all time. Urban decay, corruption, doom and gloom, punks, everybody over fifteen chain smoking and the under-fifteens sniffing glue, social agression, Cold War, fear of the bomb. And Saturday Night Fever has a rape scene after which everybody goes his merry way. Just another Saturday night.
And don't forget crushing inflation, unemployment, and 50K+ young men recently killed in Vietnam.

And IN SPITE of all that actual (not imagined) misery, that generation was more optimistic, fun, and self-deprecating than this humorless scold of a generation whining like little children about their "dark times" of invented slights and microaggressions. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

#perspective

(But seriously, that rape sequence in SNF - poor Donna Pescow - yikes)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom