DLR D23 Discussion & News

TP2000

And other people from the general public as well that scoffed at the show for its jokes.

This isn’t a Gen Z thing, this is a human being thing.

In Living Color was on for 5 seasons and aired 127 episodes over those years. It wasn't like the government censors swooped in and shut the joint down after the first night.

5 seasons is a big hit in the TV industry, especially back then when shows would get cancelled after only 10 or 15 episodes at mid-season all the time. In Living Color was itself a mid-season replacement show that began taping in the winter of 1990.

As for Wayans leaving the show, he did that during Season 3 in 1992. It continued on without him for two more seasons. From Wikipedia...

"Keenen Ivory Wayans stopped appearing in sketches in 1992 after the end of the third season, over disputes with Fox about the network censoring the show's content and rerunning early episodes without his consultation. Wayans feared that Fox would ultimately decrease the syndication value of In Living Color."

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
In Living Color was on for 5 seasons and aired 127 episodes over those years. It wasn't like the government censors swooped in and shut the joint down after the first night.

5 seasons is a big hit in the TV industry, especially back then when shows would get cancelled after only 10 or 15 episodes at mid-season all the time.

As for Wayans leaving the show, he did that during Season 3 in 1992. It continued on without him for two more seasons. From Wikipedia...

"Keenen Ivory Wayans stopped appearing in sketches in 1992 after the end of the third season, over disputes with Fox about the network censoring the show's content and rerunning early episodes without his consultation. Wayans feared that Fox would ultimately decrease the syndication value of In Living Color."
So? It was still partially cancelled due to Fox wanting Wayans to hold off on the jokes.

I’m sure there were plenty of folks that found In Living Color to be distasteful. There was no Twitter at the time to document those opinions.

TP2000

Is it me, or is the Imagineering pavilion radically shrunk this year? Is it that section labeled Wonderful World of Dreams? It's smaller than the "pin store" next door. 🤔

The various studios and "brands" all seem to get more square footage than WDI, which used to be the biggest attraction on the show floor.

Fbrk10gUsAAGUVB

TP2000

So? It was still partially cancelled due to Fox wanting Wayans to hold off on the jokes.

I’m sure there were plenty of folks that found In Living Color to be distasteful. There was no Twitter at the time to document those opinions.

Oh, gosh yes. It was wild and pushed boundaries all over the place. Not just the fabulous "Men On..." skits that had all us gays laughing at ourselves and our TV screens. In Living Color was on the air for 5 seasons, remade TV variety shows, and left an indelible mark on American pop culture.

It was doing all that over 30 years ago.

Heck, we're still talking about it today! And I'm still laughing. 🤣

RobWDW1971

THANK YOU! Beautifully said. The kids today are all so humorless and dour. They can't laugh at themselves, much less laugh with others about themselves.

In Living Color was hysterical must-watch TV for me and my friends in the early 90's. We weren't the targeted demographic for the show's creators (as middle age gays, when it was aimed at the college crowd), but we loved it. It was on in every gay bar in America back then, just to see the latest moves the Fly Girls would come up with, and to pray to God that they would do a "Men On..." skit that week.

And if a "Men On..." skit showed up, the whole gay bar stopped dead in its tracks. I miss that America.

The show was brilliant in its ability to target all races, genders, sexual orientations, etc. and most of it from a black perspective. My best friend (gay - as apparently we have to note these things today) used to howl at Jim Carrey's overly aggressive, annoying AIDS activist - "Stand up, people!"

And Jamie Foxx's Wanda, no matter how many Oscars he wins, it is still all I can see. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy.....

Not to mention it paved the way for Chappelle Show, Key & Peele, etc. - BTW, all of whose shows would be banned by today's childlike standards.

God bless you, Keenen.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Oh, gosh yes. It was wild and pushed boundaries all over the place. Not just the fabulous "Men On..." skits that had all us gays laughing at ourselves and our TV screens. In Living Color was on the air for 5 seasons, remade TV variety shows, and left an indelible mark on American pop culture.

It was doing all that over 30 years ago.

Heck, we're still talking about it today! And I'm still laughing. 🤣
Definitely. And there are shows that have pushed boundaries since then, including ones that have come out recently.

waltography

Is it me, or is the Imagineering pavilion radically shrunk this year? Is it that section labeled Wonderful World of Dreams? It's smaller than the "pin store" next door. 🤔

The various studios and "brands" all seem to get more square footage than WDI, which used to be the biggest attraction on the show floor.

Fbrk10gUsAAGUVB
I was going to say, the pavilion feels awfully small compared to years past. Don't know if this means I shouldn't expect anything big for the Parks panel.

Vegas Disney Fan

I never found it particularly funny but that just meant I didn’t watch it, I don’t think most of the shows we watched in the 70s-90s would survive the Twitter age and the concept that people can easily unite to cancel things they find distasteful or offensive.

Prior to social media it was hard to organize people to sway opinion, now it just takes one angry person and a tweet to start a firestorm.

TP2000

Definitely. And there are shows that have pushed boundaries since then, including ones that have come out recently.

What boundaries are actually left? And are they funny? Do the kids laugh?

I was going to say, the pavilion feels awfully small compared to years past. Don't know if this means I shouldn't expect anything big for the Parks panel.

I don't know what they have to show, honestly.
  • The foreign parks are mostly frozen in their tracks, except for Tokyo which they never mention anyway.
  • Once Disneyland opens Mickey's Railway and an astro-turfed Toontown, what's left in Anaheim besides the FBI surveillance vans parked outside City Hall?
  • WDW's 50th was a complete dud. Maybe they'll have a "Making of KiteTails" exhibit in there?

Dear Prudence

Fbrk10gUsAAGUVB
that's...a LOT of real estate for brands.....

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I never found it particularly funny but that just meant I didn’t watch it, I don’t think most of the shows we watched in the 70s-90s would survive the Twitter age and the concept that people can easily unite to cancel things they find distasteful or offensive.

Prior to social media it was hard to organize people to sway opinion, now it just takes one angry person and a tweet to start a firestorm.
We’re now watching shows with very crude humor and even nudity.

Your last part is my point. With social media, a bunch of folks’ opinions are available to read within seconds. This is why it seems like this generation is “soft,” like it’s a new thing. It just simply isn’t true. We can go through every generation and find examples of sensitivity from the public.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Fbrk10gUsAAGUVB

I think its about the same size, maybe even a little bigger than in years past.

Here is the 2019 map I found:

D23_map.jpg

Looks to be around the same size just moved down.

MarvelCharacterNerd

And in the first indication of exactly how well run this Expo is going to be...

Results came back for the panels, signings and giveaways. I signed up in the lottery for Marvel panel & signings and a couple of Disney giveaways.

I got...

The Disney Channel Panel.

Mind you, I did not actually REQUEST The Disney Channel Panel. Nor do I have any interest in attending The Disney Channel Panel. And when I reached out to D23 to ask WHY I had been assigned The Disney Channel Panel when I had not in fact asked for it, I was informed that due to overwhelming demand, not all guests would receive the panels, signings, etc. that they had asked for. (Okay, I understand this part.) However, some guests may receive reservations for panels they did not request.

1662169049525.png

1662168978954.png

Needless to say, I'm SO looking forward to trying to get into the virtual shopping queues next!

1662169150168.png

CaptinEO

And in the first indication of exactly how well run this Expo is going to be...

Results came back for the panels, signings and giveaways. I signed up in the lottery for Marvel panel & signings and a couple of Disney giveaways.

I got...

The Disney Channel Panel.

Mind you, I did not actually REQUEST The Disney Channel Panel. Nor do I have any interest in attending The Disney Channel Panel. And when I reached out to D23 to ask WHY I had been assigned The Disney Channel Panel when I had not in fact asked for it, I was informed that due to overwhelming demand, not all guests would receive the panels, signings, etc. that they had asked for. (Okay, I understand this part.) However, some guests may receive reservations for panels they did not request.

View attachment 664280

View attachment 664279

Needless to say, I'm SO looking forward to trying to get into the virtual shopping queues next!

View attachment 664282
This is my problem. Disney uses technology in such a bad way. The lines were too long for panels, so they do it as a digital line, except it's all random.

Now dedicated people don't even have the option of waiting in line if they wanted to. It's like the 7am lottery system they use for their newest rides.

What they SHOULD have done is have people sign up for the panels they want during registration a year ago and then scale out the panels accordingly to meet demand.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is my problem. Disney uses technology in such a bad way. The lines were too long for panels, so they do it as a digital line, except it's all random.

Now dedicated people don't even have the option of waiting in line if they wanted to. It's like the 7am lottery system they use for their newest rides.

What they SHOULD have done is have people sign up for the panels they want during registration a year ago and then scale out the panels accordingly to meet demand.
There is only a finite amount of space in the convention halls to hold people and more people that want to attend the key panels than the halls hold, so you can't just "scale out". Plus they don't know the exact panels they will have a year prior to the event, so you can't have people signing up a year in advance.

So there is no good solution here. You either have people camping out, sometimes overnight, for panels just to get a seat or you do some type of digital queue. There is going to be complaints either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom